Recruitment & pre-game discussion

Glim

Recruitment & pre-game discussion

Postby Glim » Aug 11th, '15, 15:11

Hi guys,

Over the weekend I got prodded if I wanted to run a game, and over the last few days I’ve warmed to the idea. Here’s a couple of things up front, before we can start a discussion about character creation. Once that’s out of the way, we may actually get a game going. Fingers crossed :)

Pace
The game will be slow. My other PbP game has like one post every three days on average, but also has seen months entirely devoid of posts.
Every gaming group sees things like people suddenly being in a relationship, pregnancies, exams or simply busy weeks at work that leave you exhausted.
The downside of an online game like this is that it’s played with anonymous strangers, which puts it way on the bottom of everybody’s list of priorities and makes it an easy ‘responsibility’ to shirk.
The upside is that it’s much easier to get a little post in every now and then, than to schedule a gaming session. Another upside is that I’m in #D&D all the time, which makes it much easier for you lot to pester a post out of me, so I suspect I’ll be much more on the ball than with my regular games.
Now I sound all jaded and gloomy, but we have to realistic :)

Combat
Compared to a regular game, a PbP-game runs at a snail’s pace. Even if we get two posts a day in, a round of combat can take over a week. This makes combat a pain in the ass, and I usually dispense with it altogether.
Now you’ll all be saying that 3.5 is a terrible fit if we’re not doing combat, and that shoehorning things like exploration or intrigue or whatever in is an even worse idea. I think I agree with that, but 3.5 is the only system I’m familiar with, so I’m sticking to it. (Even so, I’ll make plenty of mistakes, I’m by no means as pro with the system as some of you no doubt are.)
One thing that may happen is that the planets align and we’re all in #D&D at the same time, so we may get our combat fix on IRC, but I’m not making that a solid promise.

Level
With the pace as it is, and without combat, you can basically forget about leveling up. We may level up when we reach some milestone, but that could take forever.
I suggest we decide on a level we’re all comfortable with. I feel six is the sweet spot, but anything over or under is fine too, as long as we all agree.
I will say that I’ve never ran a successful epic game, so I’m a little hesitant about that.

Race and Class
Easy. Everything goes.
No wait, let me retract that. Everything that’s in a WotC published D&D book from the 3.5 era goes. I’m too old to recalculate and verify homebrew shit that I haven’t had a hand in myself. If you really want to play a spelljammer creature, or something from a movie or game you played that has parallel within D&D, we could work something out I guess; just don’t like me to anything on dndwiki.
Once we pick a level, you can fill it all the way up with LA and racial HD for all I care. Go crazy.
With the de-emphasis on combat, we don’t have to stick to the usual party roster of roles, and you could even play a party of truenamers and still shine (well, in a way).

Setting
The setting is Planescape. Like the name implies, the game takes place on the planes, those strange places analogous to heaven and hell. (The other implication is to always plan for escape :P )
The planes reach every world and every strange place, which is the reason why you’re allowed to pick the strangest races.
I’m not sure how familiar you are with the planes in general, or with Planescape in particular. I don’t expect you to, and it’s definitely not a prerequisite for the game, but I like to know up front what I’m dealing with.
We could allow for some inevitable meta-gaming by aligning your character with what you know. Like the knowledgeable ones could be experienced planewalkers, while the rest can be fresh-faced newcomers. Or you could be planar, but a bit of a bumpkin, never having left your home town. Or be a know-it-all wizard with lots of book smarts, that’s never actually been and about. You could pretend to know a lot and provide your party members with all kinds of hilarious misinformation, or maybe you know all there is to be known, but decide keep your trap shut and pretend everything is shiny and new.
Lots of possibilities here.

The group
We could either start with characters already knowing each other, or the party could simply be a bunch of strangers stuck in the same bad situation. I guess we’ll see once we get some characters going, and how much chemistry there is from the start.
We could also start with a solo-thread for everybody, in which we warm up a little, and then I could be stuck trying to weave them all together all masterfully and ending up with you guys all visiting the same old stinking inn :)

The adventure
As of yet I have no adventure ideas. Suggestions, questions and impressive backgrounds are welcome.

Let's get this show on the road.

lhx
Site Admin

Re: Recruitment & pre-game discussion

Postby lhx » Aug 11th, '15, 15:32

I'm absolutely interested. I'm a little rusty on my 3.5 but can brush up quickly. With no combat, that should make brushing up pretty easy.

As far as knowledge of Planescape goes, I'm thinking about playing a PC that has practically no knowledge of the outside world. Whether he woke up from a coma or was just stuck on the farm, he's not going to know much. My real-life knowledge of Planescape is pretty limited. But, I'm willing to read a player's companion if that's recommended / desired by the DM.

Subscribed to the thread.
Find me on freenode with the username lhx in #texasxtremerpg or professionally at lawjrm.com
LMoP: GM - LMoP combat tracker OotA: GM - OotA combat tracker, Inventory Tedpocalypse: Zertius, Human Cleric

Glim

Postby Glim » Aug 12th, '15, 14:59

Yeah, I'll try to help out with char creation if you need a hand. Any ideas on class, race, 'theme' yet?

And nah, you don't have to read a player's companion, no knowledge is required. It will all be info-dumped by eager NPCs :)
A character that's sheltered or with amnesia or whatever is just fine.

In fact, the mention of amnesia has gotten the creative juices flowing, and there's now the beginning of an adventure percolating through my brain where you'd all start out as amnesiac strangers...

In the chat I have people pestering me for character creation details on all sides, but nobody in the thread.
Just to reiterate, since it's a little hidden in the wall-of-text: Are we all okay with starting at lvl 6?

GamerAim

Postby GamerAim » Aug 12th, '15, 16:24

Level 6 works for me. I'm thinking an Aasimar. A righteous warrior type seems right up my alley. But probably focus it more as a charismatic leader type for the purposes of this game. I dunno for sure yet.

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Aug 12th, '15, 18:56

I'm thinking about playing a Prime that ended up in the planes accidentally, probably by some comical mistake. Probably a human rogue from a large city. Probably a true neutral money-and-survival motivated character that can get along with about anyone if necessary, and who likes a good joke and a belt of liquor from time-to-time.
Find me on freenode with the username lhx in #texasxtremerpg or professionally at lawjrm.com
LMoP: GM - LMoP combat tracker OotA: GM - OotA combat tracker, Inventory Tedpocalypse: Zertius, Human Cleric

Glim

Postby Glim » Aug 13th, '15, 15:31

One aasimar cleric of Satan, one (human?) rogue. Yay.

I did invite some other folks who showed interest initially, but I'm not seeing any activity from them. I guess I'll just wait another week, before opening the game up to the rest of #D&D.

Glim

Postby Glim » Aug 20th, '15, 02:15

The deadline set in the previous post is near expiring.
Apart from lhx, the rest of the first-come-first-serve prospects have changed their minds and gracefully declined to join the game.
Also, GamerAim / Handsome_Jack has pulled out, due to a suddenly busy agenda.

This means the game is now open to #D&D in general. I'll start polling for interest later today, when I can get to the chat.

ibiwan

Postby ibiwan » Aug 20th, '15, 18:18

I think I'll jump in with a star elf http://www.angelfire.com/d20/vaelos/Star_Elves.html sorcerer. I'll start rolling abilities tonight. Is there a roll20 game I can use for verifiable rolls?

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Aug 21st, '15, 01:37

ibiwan wrote:I think I'll jump in with a star elf http://www.angelfire.com/d20/vaelos/Star_Elves.html sorcerer. I'll start rolling abilities tonight. Is there a roll20 game I can use for verifiable rolls?

Check the announcements forum here. You can roll dice in the forum with bb code 1d20+4 => 11, 4 => 15 etc...

Glim

Postby Glim » Aug 22nd, '15, 22:45

Level: 6
Abilities: Elite array (15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8)
Alignment: no restrictions
HP: max at first, 75% thereafter.
Gold: 13k
Sources: WotC 3.5 (no Dragon, no 3pp)

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Aug 22nd, '15, 23:29

Here's my first initial dump of information from Pathguy on my Rogue named "Rolly". I'll come up with a last name sooner than later as well as flesh out some backstory. I stuck to pretty bland feats and tried to pick skills that fit the idea that this is the most lithe, nimble, fast handed guy around, but he's not very experienced disguising himself. He also made some coin as a small-time performer; he has some skill in acting, oratory, and singing. He is also a quick talker too.

Please, please, please, but in and say I should take different skills or feats; I just don't have time to read every single feat in the 3.5 universe. :) Or if I did something else stupid as far as 3.5 character generation goes.

Glim: when I get the stuff finalized, I'll be happy to put it into a format like you linked for your character sheet.

Rolly

Male Human Rogue 6
True Neutral
Representing lhx

Strength 8 (-1)
Dexterity 16 (+3)
Constitution 10 (+0)
Intelligence 13 (+1)
Wisdom 12 (+1)
Charisma 14 (+2)

Size: Medium
Height: 5' 8"
Weight: 130 lb
Skin: Pale
Eyes: Dark Brown
Hair: Dark Brown Wavy; Thick Beard / Hirsute

Total Hit Points: 25

Speed: 30 feet

Armor Class: 16 = 10 +3 [studded] +3 [dexterity]

Touch AC: 13
Flat-footed: 16 [uncanny dodge]

Initiative modifier: +3 = +3 [dexterity]
Fortitude save: +2 = 2 [base]
Reflex save: +8 = 5 [base] +3 [dexterity]
Will save: +3 = 2 [base] +1 [wisdom]
Attack (handheld): +3 = 4 [base] -1 [strength]
Attack (unarmed): +3 = 4 [base] -1 [strength]
Attack (missile): +7 = 4 [base] +3 [dexterity]
Grapple check: +3 = 4 [base] -1 [strength]

Light load:
Medium load:
Heavy load:
Lift over head:
Lift off ground:
Push or drag:
26 lb. or less
27-53 lb.
54-80 lb.
80 lb.
160 lb.
400 lb.

Languages: Abyssal Common

Dagger [1d4, crit 19-20/x2, range inc 10 ft., 1 lb., light, piercing]

Short Sword [1d6, crit 19-20/x2, 1 lb, light, piercing]

Shortbow [1d6, crit x3, range inc. 60 ft., 2 lb., piercing]

Studded armor [light; +3 AC; max dex +5; check penalty -1; 20 lb.]

Feats:

Alertness
Investigator
Leadership
Negotiator

Traits:

Skill Name

Key
Ability

Skill
Modifier

Ability
Modifier

Ranks

Misc.
Modifier
Appraise Int 1 =
+1

Balance Dex* 10 =
+3
+5 +2 [tumble]
Bluff Cha 7 =
+2
+5
Climb Str* -1 =

Concentration Con 0 =
+0

Craft_1 Int 1 =
+1

Craft_2 Int 1 =
+1

Craft_3 Int 1 =
+1

Diplomacy Cha 17 =
+2
+9 +2 [bluff] +2 [negotiator] +2 [sense motive]
Disguise Cha 2 =
+2

Escape Artist Dex* 3 =
+3

Forgery Int 1 =
+1

Gather Information Cha 6 =
+2
+2 +2 [investigator]
Heal Wis 1 =
+1

Hide Dex* 12 =
+3
+9
Intimidate Cha 4 =
+2
+2 [bluff]
Jump Str* 1 =
+2 [tumble]
Knowledge (dungeoneering) Int 3.5 =
+1
+2.5
Listen Wis 8 =
+1
+5 +2 [alertness]
Move Silently Dex* 12 =
+3
+9
Perform_1 Cha 5 =
+2
+3
Perform_2 Cha 5 =
+2
+3
Perform_3 Cha 5 =
+2
+3
Perform_4 Cha 2 =
+2

Perform_5 Cha 2 =
+2

Ride Dex 3 =
+3

Search Int 3 =
+1
+2 [investigator]
Sense Motive Wis 8 =
+1
+5 +2 [negotiator]
Sleight of Hand Dex* 14 =
+3
+9 +2 [bluff]
Spot Wis 12 =
+1
+9 +2 [alertness]
Survival Wis 1 =
+1

Swim Str** -1 =

Tumble Dex* 12 =
+3
+9
Use Rope Dex 3 =
+3

* = check penalty for wearing armor

Bluff >=5 ranks gives +2 on disguise checks to act in character.

Human:

Extra feat at first level (already included)
Four extra skill points at first level (already included)
One extra skill point at each additional level (already included)

Rogue:

Sneak Attack +3d6

Trapfinding

Evasion (level 2)

Trap Sense (level 3)

Uncanny Dodge (level 4)

Improved Uncanny Dodge (level 8)

Special Abilities (choices begin at 10th level)

Class HP rolled
Level 1: Rogue 6
Level 2: Rogue 5
Level 3: Rogue 4
Level 4: Rogue 4 +1 to dexterity
Level 5: Rogue 1
Level 6: Rogue 5

Rolly's Equipment:

24 lb
6 lb
2 lb
5 lb

1 lb
10 lb
8 lb
1 lb

1 lb
_____
58 lb Weapons / Armor / Shield (from above)
Arrows (quiver of 20) x2
Backpack
Bedroll
Candle
Ink vial
Ink pen
Lamp (common)
Rope (50', hempen) x1
Spade / shovel
Spyglass
Magnifying glass
Thieves' tools

Total

More about Rolly:

Rolly is a prime that stumbled into the planes as the result of trying to steal from a powerful wizard. The wizard's trap flung him into the planes.

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Aug 27th, '15, 02:23

Any update on the rule set?

Glim

Postby Glim » Aug 27th, '15, 04:10

Yeah, sorry.
We're officially switching to 5e rules.
Let's see if that generates more interest.

The setting will still be 2e, with a bunch of 3.x things thrown in that have become headcanon for me. Or maybe I should adopt the new planar model...
Ah well, it's going to be a weird mix to explain up front, just come to me with questions for races, deities, that sort of thing.

Maybe we should change the level too, any thoughts on that?

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Aug 27th, '15, 12:31

5-6 is a great level for 5e... not too difficult character generation, but each class is really starting to 'shine' at level 5.

Glim

Postby Glim » Aug 27th, '15, 21:29

Then we'll stick to 6.

Just bear with me, because I haven't seen the game in play at lvl 1, let alone lvl 6.

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Aug 27th, '15, 22:33

Glim wrote:Then we'll stick to 6.

Just bear with me, because I haven't seen the game in play at lvl 1, let alone lvl 6.

Will absolutely bear with you (and I'll be happy to help with the rules in a polite and respectful way too if you have any questions).

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Aug 28th, '15, 00:31

Glim wrote:Yeah, sorry.
We're officially switching to 5e rules.
Let's see if that generates more interest.

The setting will still be 2e, with a bunch of 3.x things thrown in that have become headcanon for me. Or maybe I should adopt the new planar model...
Ah well, it's going to be a weird mix to explain up front, just come to me with questions for races, deities, that sort of thing.

Maybe we should change the level too, any thoughts on that?

I know little to nothing about the planes; don't worry about messing with your headcannon. :) I think the biggest adjustment for you will simply be adjusting your DCs a little lower and using the advantage / disadvantage / inspiration mechanic.

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Aug 28th, '15, 00:32

Also, I posted a rough draft of a half-elf sorcerer in the character's forum. Needs some DM input, particularly in starting gold / equipment.

jasonw

Postby jasonw » Sep 1st, '15, 13:12

So, to recap, I think...

• You're still looking for players
  • The game will be 5e
  • Characters will start at L6

...?
LMoP: Kaspar - Gnome Bard https://goo.gl/SA8Pyb
OoTA: Scafell - Dwarf Druid https://goo.gl/f5eMkS

Glim