Chapter 5: Travel from the Silken Paths

lhx
Site Admin

Re: Chapter 5: Travel from the Silken Paths

Postby lhx » Nov 6th, '17, 12:16

190' from Moloch. Will post map in just a second. The new red dots are the tiny flying shapes heading towards demon.
Attachments
Fungus-patch-7.jpg
Find me on freenode with the username lhx in #texasxtremerpg or professionally at lawjrm.com
LMoP: GM - LMoP combat tracker OotA: GM - OotA combat tracker, Inventory Tedpocalypse: Zertius, Human Cleric

Baelem

Postby Baelem » Nov 6th, '17, 15:56

Moloch broadcasts mentally to all companions in range:

Make for the tunnel behind us / I will shroud the entrance

Moloch moves south (he can make it to just south of Cas?) and readies an action to cast Silent Image once the party is in the tunnel.

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Nov 6th, '17, 17:02

Baelem wrote:Moloch broadcasts mentally to all companions in range:

Make for the tunnel behind us / I will shroud the entrance

Moloch moves south (he can make it to just south of Cas?) and readies an action to cast Silent Image once the party is in the tunnel.

Yes, you can move to stop 5' south of Cas. I'll move you on next map update.
Find me on freenode with the username lhx in #texasxtremerpg or professionally at lawjrm.com
LMoP: GM - LMoP combat tracker OotA: GM - OotA combat tracker, Inventory Tedpocalypse: Zertius, Human Cleric

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Nov 6th, '17, 17:06

Jimjar heeds Moloch's command and moves (dash action) south into the tunnel, ending up 5' south of Moloch. Updated map posted.

Scafell, you're up!
Attachments
Fungus-patch-8.jpg

jasonw

Postby jasonw » Nov 7th, '17, 13:25

Scafell dashes into the corridor
LMoP: Kaspar - Gnome Bard https://goo.gl/SA8Pyb
OoTA: Scafell - Dwarf Druid https://goo.gl/f5eMkS

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Nov 7th, '17, 19:23

Scafell dashes 60' into the corridor, he does go over one square of difficult terrain, leaving him next to Jimjar in the tunnel. I'll post the monster in a second.

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Nov 7th, '17, 19:50

The demon screeches again and continues to fly south, but something strange happens. 4 of these mushrooms (purple dots on map) pop up as the demon flies over it and they poof out large clouds of purple-tinged spores towards the demon. They must have been waiting in ambush for passerbys.

The mushrooms look like this, and they look like they'll be able to move, albeit rather slowly. Their spores look like they can reach about 10' from the mushrooms.

Fungus attacks:
A
1d4 => 4 => 4
attacks can be made

1d20+2 => 17, 2 => 19
to hit

1d20+2 => 19, 2 => 21
to hit

1d20+2 => 5, 2 => 7
to hit

1d20+2 => 20, 2 => 22
to hit

B
1d4 => 3 => 3
attacks can be made

1d20+2 => 12, 2 => 14
to hit
1d20+2 => 16, 2 => 18
to hit
1d20+2 => 8, 2 => 10
to hit

C
1d4 => 2 => 2
attacks can be made

1d20+2 => 12, 2 => 14
to hit
1d20+2 => 16, 2 => 18
to hit

D
1d4 => 1 => 1
attacks can be made

1d20+2 => 14, 2 => 16
to hit

Which I counted as 6 hits and the rest misses, meaning the demon takes
6d8 => 4, 6, 8, 3, 4, 1 => 26
necrotic damage.

The demon roars in pain and looks like those spores actually did some damage to it.

Since the demon hadn't attacked yet, it swoops down to attack the mushrooms and attacks one with it's beak, and a second one with its talons.

Beak:
1d20+6 => 2, 6 => 8
and the beak snaps into mushroom flesh for
2d6+3 => 1, 1, 3 => 5
piercing damage.

Talons:
1d20+6 => 16, 6 => 22
and the talons rip into the other mushroom for
2d10+3 => 5, 9, 3 => 17
slashing damage, killing this mushroom. The demon screeches in triumph as it eyes the other mushrooms with rage in its eyes.

Eldeth is still suffering from her fear effects and dashes directly south 50'.

The tiny flying shapes still look like they're trying to catch up with the demon and will likely do so next round.

Stool, seeing the mushrooms get demolished soo easily, dashes to the south in a panic (20' per round is his dash speed). "Help me! Save me!" His spores communicate telepathically to the party.

Cas, you're up! Map is updated.
Attachments
Fungus-patch-9.jpg

shortsinsnow

Postby shortsinsnow » Nov 8th, '17, 06:55

Cas moves forward, putting himself between Stool and the enemies in order to cover Stool's escape. He unleashes another quarrel, not sure what else he can do until the winged creature comes closer.

Attacking with Disadvantage
1d20+4 => 3, 4 => 7

1d20+4 => 19, 4 => 23

If it hits
1d8+2 => 7, 2 => 9

He then reloads the crossbow.
OotA: Xilvaris Castien

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Nov 8th, '17, 15:37

Cas's bolt flies towards the demon but flies wide and misses entirely. (That bolt is lost permanently in the mushroom grove; mark that off your sheet please.) The demon doesn't even notice this shot; its attention is on the mushrooms.

Daarut is now miming eating a giant... err... something. Most likely a leg or haunch of an animal. He's contentedly eating the imaginary leg and doesn't move from his spot.

Derendil walks over and slaps Daarut and then points at the demon. Daarut seems to realize that there's some danger going on, but something is still not right with him.

Derendil is going to help Daarut walk another 30' towards the tunnel entrance.

MOloch, you're up! If you want, you can use your readied action "before" your turn so you have a full new turn. You may also release your readied action and start a new without burning a spell slot.

Baelem

Postby Baelem » Nov 8th, '17, 16:58

As his readied action, Moloch waves his wand and aims it at the ceiling at the cavern's mouth (in front of Cas), creating the image of dust and small pebbles raining down all the way to the floor, completely obscuring the area in a thick cloud of falling dust and debris. (ooc: casts Silent Image)

Then on his new turn, Moloch half whispers "ይህም እውነተኛዬ ነው" and three identical Molochs wink into existence beside him, moving in perfect synchronicity with him as all four figures move forward through the dust cloud 30' into the cavern, wands raised menacingly. (ooc: casts Mirror Image)

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Nov 8th, '17, 21:20

OOC: Oooh nice.

During one of the demon's screeches, Moloch times his silent image perfectly, so that the lack of sound from falling rocks wasn't conspicuous.

Daarut is still trying to eat an imaginary haunch of something as Derendil is moving him towards the tunnel. Derendil mutters in perfect elvish, "I just want to see the sun's light one more time..."

Moloch suddenly appears in front of Daarut and Derendil, but there are three of him. They can't tell which one is which. The demon hasn't looked south towards the party yet as best as Moloch can tell.

Jimjar pokes north to the illusion and sticks his head (and only his head) through the illusion to monitor the situation and waves at the quaggoth's while hissing, "Over here! Get over here!" He keeps a drow hand crossbow in his other hand. The quaggoths see Jimjar's head and disembodied arm waving through the illusion.

Scafell, you have seen the illusion go up, Moloch splitting into 3 perfect images, and you see Jimjar freely waving through the wall illusion. What do you do?
Attachments
Fungus-patch-10.jpg

jasonw

Postby jasonw » Nov 10th, '17, 00:13

Scafell watches and waits

shortsinsnow

Postby shortsinsnow » Nov 10th, '17, 07:30

OOC- Cas moved on his turn to be between Stool and the creature, so he's not behind the illusion

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Nov 10th, '17, 14:24

I'll fix the map shortly and move it along> Sorry Cas. My mistake. :)

shortsinsnow

Postby shortsinsnow » Nov 11th, '17, 05:19

I just don't want stool to die :|

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Nov 13th, '17, 18:05

shortsinsnow wrote:I just don't want stool to die :|

Understood. Neither do I!

Sorry for the delay guys; I will try to update tonight.

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Nov 13th, '17, 20:37

Map fixed (moved Cas to Stool).

The demon screeches and bites at the already injured mushroom, and swipes at a new target with its claws!

Beak:
1d20+6 => 1, 6 => 7

2d6+3 => 1, 2, 3 => 6
if hit

The injured mushroom takes another 6 piercing damage but is still somehow alive!

Talons:
1d20+6 => 5, 6 => 11

2d10+3 => 7, 9, 3 => 19

The demon's talons once again simply shred through the mushroom as if it was vellum paper. It crumples into a hunk of mushroom remains on the ground.

The two remaining mushrooms launch their spores at the demon:

B:
1d4 => 1 => 1
attacks can be made

1d20+2 => 17, 2 => 19

1d8 => 6 => 6
necrotic if hit

D:
1d4 => 2 => 2
attacks can be made

1d20+2 => 14, 2 => 16

1d8 => 2 => 2
necrotic if hit

1d20+2 => 6, 2 => 8

1d8 => 6 => 6
necrotic if hit

2 hit, dealing 8 more necrotic damage to the demon!

Eldeth, still frigthened, runs another 50' to the south.

The flying shapes launch towards the demon. Everyone else should be able to tell that they're common Stirges, known to be bat-sized mosquitos that can suck a humanoid's blood dry over several rounds. If you can hit them, they go down easy.

The four stirges all try to stick their proboscis-like snouts into the target
A
1d20+5 => 6, 5 => 11

1d4+3 => 3, 3 => 6
piercing if hit
B
1d20+5 => 18, 5 => 23

1d4+3 => 3, 3 => 6
piercing if hit
C
1d20+5 => 12, 5 => 17

1d4+3 => 4, 3 => 7
piercing if hit
D
1d20+5 => 16, 5 => 21

1d4+3 => 4, 3 => 7
piercing if hit

Stirges B,C, and D all hit, and are attached to the demon, primarily on its back. The demon takes 20 HP of piercing damage but the demon doesn't seem as affected by the stirges as it did the necrotic spores...

Round 3

Stool is still using his full movement back towards the illusion (which is a fantastically slow 10' plus another 10' from dash action). He takes double move for one square due to difficult terrain. He's now near Moloch and his illusions.

Cas, you're up!
Attachments
Fungus-patch-11.jpg

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Nov 13th, '17, 20:39

Fixed stirges location on this map.
Attachments
Fungus-patch-12.jpg

shortsinsnow

Postby shortsinsnow » Nov 14th, '17, 05:45

Cas looses another bolt, and then steps back to cover the group. (He also reloads)

[u]Attack with Disadvantage[u]
1d20+4 => 1, 4 => 5

1d20+4 => 9, 4 => 13

1d8+2 => 5, 2 => 7

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Nov 14th, '17, 10:20

Edit: Retconning the demon beak attack. It rolled a natural one that I missed.

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Nov 14th, '17, 10:28

Cas's bolt again flies wide, missing the demon by at least 15'. Cas, let me know if you want to move at all; I'm going to go on to next in initiative.

Derendil uses his action to drag Daarut just inside of the illusion.

Moloch, you're up!
Attachments
Fungus-patch-13.jpg

shortsinsnow

Postby shortsinsnow » Nov 14th, '17, 10:32

shortsinsnow wrote:and then steps back to cover the group

He moves back enough that he's still just ahead of the rest of the group

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Nov 14th, '17, 11:18

Thanks for the clarification. I will update map after Moloch goes.

Baelem

Postby Baelem » Nov 15th, '17, 02:57

Can Moloch move 30' north with a move action, or does difficult terrain hamper his movement?

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Nov 15th, '17, 11:59

Difficult terrain means it costs double movement to move through it. So Moloch can move 15' if each square is difficult terrain. Note, the graph paper squares are 10' each.

Baelem

Postby Baelem » Nov 16th, '17, 00:45

Moloch moves diagonally north by northeast, so that he's 120' south of the demon. He then hisses a curse at it (ooc: redirects Hex to it as a bonus action), then hurls a bolt of eldritch energy towards it from his outstretched hand:

1d20+6 => 1, 6 => 7
to hit
if hits,
1d10+4 => 5, 4 => 9 invalid
force dmg and
1d6 => 6 => 6
necrotic dmg

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Nov 16th, '17, 13:09

OOC: Ruh roh. Crit fail. ;)

Moloch's moves through the mushroom cavern to his desired spot and his blast of force flies out of his hand but it is wildly inaccurate. Going to say 25% chance it hits another one of the hostile creatures (so result of 1 on a 1d4)
1d4 => 1 => 1

And it does hit. Let's see which one: d6 1--2 mushoorms, d, 3--6 stirges:

1d6 => 4 => 4

The eldritch blast smacks into the stirge that is still flying about, instantly blasting it into a tiny poof of stirge parts. The parts that are still recognizable quickly decay from the necrotic damage as they fall to the ground. (Stirge A dead now).

Jimjar decides to run up, time to try and get a few sneaky shots in on the demon while it's distracted, he uses his cunning action to dash to get within 120' of the demon. And is standing next to one of Moloch's images. He takes a shot at the demon at disadvantage due to range:

1d20+4 => 10, 4 => 14

1d20+4 => 6, 4 => 10

and unfortunately misses.

Scafell, you're up! You saw Jimjar run through the illusion.
Attachments
Fungus-patch-14.jpg

jasonw

Postby jasonw » Nov 17th, '17, 15:24

Scafell scuttles north (through the illusion) 30'

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Nov 18th, '17, 23:05

Did you want to scuttle farther or use an action for anything?

jasonw

Postby jasonw » Nov 19th, '17, 11:29

No, thanks!

(I don't want to get too far from the illusion, I'm too far to do anything useful as a spider and don't want to change back)

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Nov 19th, '17, 22:38

Got it. I'll move us along when I wake up.

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Nov 21st, '17, 00:32

The Demon continues to lash out at the mushrooms, once with its bite and once with its talons:

Beak
1d20+6 => 2, 6 => 8

2d6+3 => 3, 1, 3 => 7

Somehow the injured fungus is still alive, but definitely on its last legs.

Talons
1d20+6 => 12, 6 => 18

2d10+3 => 8, 9, 3 => 20

But, the demon lashes out with its talons at another uninjured mushroom, and shreds it to bits, with bits of mushroom flying everywhere from the attack. This leaves the single almost-dead mushroom as the last contestant besides the stirges.

Eldeth continues running south in terror and is now out of sight of all the entire party.

The three stirges all get to slurp some demon blood, as the drain the demon of

1d4+3 => 1, 3 => 4

1d4+3 => 3, 3 => 6

1d4+3 => 1, 3 => 4

Stool moves another 20' towards the illusion, and he just barely crosses the illusion into the relative safety of the tunnel.

Cas, you're up!

shortsinsnow

Postby shortsinsnow » Nov 22nd, '17, 14:17

"Come Jimjar, we should hold up in the choke of the passage. We will need to press on to Neverlight, but we should not take unnecessary risk," Cas says aloud. Realizing he's not doing much good with the crossbow, he puts it away and re-dons his shield, and moves towards the illusion

[end of turn]

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Nov 25th, '17, 15:45

OOC: Hope everyone had a great thanksgiving.

Cas, Map updated. If you want to be all the way inside the tunnel, let me know and I'll retcon it.

Derendil is still trying to slap some sense into Daarut; her still seems to be eating an imaginary leg of lamp or something of that nature.

Moloch, you're up!
Attachments
Fungus-patch-16.jpg

Baelem

Postby Baelem » Nov 25th, '17, 16:19

Moloch grumbles, "Blasted stirges, out of my way!" and hurls another bolt of eldritch energy at the demon.

1d20+6 => 9, 6 => 15

1d10+4 => 2, 4 => 6 invalid
force plus
1d6 => 2 => 2
necrotic if hits

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Nov 25th, '17, 20:47

Moloch's bolt flies towards the demon and hits solidly for 8 damage! The demon roars in pain, and looks towards Moloch from the blast.

Jimjar takes another shot (at disadvantage) with his hand crossbow:

1d20+4 => 3, 4 => 7

1d20+4 => 13, 4 => 17

and he misses.

Scafell, you're up!

jasonw

Postby jasonw » Nov 25th, '17, 21:05

Scafell twitches a couple of legs in what somehow looks like a spider trying to convey exasperation, and scuttles a further 30' feet north, leaving him 120' from the demon.

(no further action)

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Nov 26th, '17, 11:52

Scafell scuttles as stated (let me know if that's not where you were intending).

The demon bites at the last mushroom:

1d20+6 => 3, 6 => 9
and tears into the last mushroom with its beak for

2d6+3 => 1, 2, 3 => 6
damage, killing it into a pile of mushroom flesh.

The demon then swipes at one of the stirges (B) with its claws (at disadv due to being on the demon's back):

1d20+6 => 10, 6 => 16

1d20+6 => 8, 6 => 14
and just barely catches it with a single talon, killing it outrigh with a spray of blood like squashing a large mosquito.

It turns and looks at Moloch, jimjar, and Scafell, and flies towards them 60 feet!

Eldeth continues running off of screen.

Stirges C and D drain blood from the demon in the amount of:

1d4+3 => 2, 3 => 5

1d4+3 => 4, 3 => 7

At which point both remaining stirges detach from the demon and begin flying away to the north, their bodies fat with demonic blood.

Stool continues another 20' into the cave mouth for safety.

Cas, you're up!
Attachments
Fungus-patch-17.jpg

shortsinsnow

Postby shortsinsnow » Nov 27th, '17, 10:19

Cas, frusterated at the situation, holds fast at his location. However, he does raise his amulet of Oghma and whispers a chant to himself.

He readies a spell (Sacred flame), to be used if the enemy comes within 60' of his current location (which would be adjacent to his allies and then come)

If this happens, he must make a DC 13 Dex save or else take the damage listed below (radiant damage)

1d8 => 4 => 4

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Nov 27th, '17, 14:15

shortsinsnow wrote:Cas, frusterated at the situation, holds fast at his location. However, he does raise his amulet of Oghma and whispers a chant to himself.

He readies a spell (Sacred flame), to be used if the enemy comes within 60' of his current location (which would be adjacent to his allies and then come)

If this happens, he must make a DC 13 Dex save or else take the damage listed below (radiant damage)

1d8 => 4 => 4

Got it.

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Nov 27th, '17, 14:24

Derendil one last time tries to shake Daarut out of his hallucinations and has no success as Daarut just sits down on the ground clapping his hands together like an infant.

Derendil pokes his head out of the illusion and dashes up to join the group, standing just in front of Moloch and Jimjar. He bellows, "BEGONE FOUL BEAST!"

Moloch you're up!
Attachments
Fungus-patch-18.jpg

Baelem

Postby Baelem » Nov 27th, '17, 15:30

Moloch hurls another eldritch blast, gives Derendil a wry glance and mutters, "You're a braver elf than I!" then retreats 30' back towards the illusion.

1d20+6 => 12, 6 => 18
to hit
1d10+4 => 7, 4 => 11 invalid
force plus
1d6 => 1 => 1
necrotic

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Nov 27th, '17, 16:07

Moloch's blast flies true, and catches the demon in its face, destroying one of the demon's eyes with rotting flesh around it. As the demon is approaching closer, and takes the blast from Moloch, it's clear that the mushrooms and stirges did a substantial amount of damage to it. While not on its last legs, it's quite heavily injured; bleeding profusely from where the stirges were attached, and now missing an eye.

Jimjar takes another shot at the beast; still at disadv due to range:

1d20+4 => 8, 4 => 12

1d20+4 => 16, 4 => 20
and he misses.

Scafell you're up! The map does not include Moloch moving south 30'

jasonw

Postby jasonw » Nov 28th, '17, 13:38

Scafell moves to a point 60' away from the demon and flings a web

Disadv for long range
d20+5 => 2, 5 => 7

d20+5 => 15, 5 => 20

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Nov 28th, '17, 14:42

Scafell's web flies comically short of the demon, barely making it 35' in front of Scafell. (Don't forget to roll for recharge next round; 5 or 6 on a d6 and you can use web again).

The demon keeps on flying in and he's focused on Scafell! The demon lands on the ground in front of Scafell and bites at him and slashes with its talons:

1d20+6 => 4, 6 => 10
Bite
1d20+6 => 12, 6 => 18
Talons

The demon's bite misses as Scafell scuttles out of the way; but unfortunately, he scuttled into an incoming swipe of the talons, taking
2d10+3 => 2, 7, 3 => 12
slashing damage!

The stirges continue their flight away to the north; they seem to be satiated for the time being.

Eldeth is off screen and Stool just stays where he is, leading us up to Cas! it's your turn.
Attachments
Fungus-patch-19.jpg

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Nov 28th, '17, 14:58

Demon's save for Cas's sacred flame from last round:

1d20+5 => 11, 5 => 16
DEX SAVE

shortsinsnow

Postby shortsinsnow » Nov 28th, '17, 15:03

Fools, engaging it head on when retreat and striking from a distance was clearly a more tactically sound option

Cas is going to repeat his attack of Sacred flame (dex save, DC13)

Damage (Radiant)
1d8 => 7 => 7

He also spends his bonus action on Healing word for Scafell
1d4+3 => 1, 3 => 4

[end of turn]

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Nov 28th, '17, 15:10

1d20+5 => 13, 5 => 18
DEX save for demon and the demon manages to dodge the holy light crashing down from above.

Scafell, you feel your wounds ease a bit from Cas's healing spell.

Derendil yells, "DIE, DAMN DIRTY DEMON!" and rushes in to attack with is claws:

Claw: +5 to hit, reach 5' one target, 1d6+3 slashing

1d20+5 => 5, 5 => 10

1d20+5 => 1, 5 => 6

And Derendil's claws scrape against the side of the demon fails to connect solidly.

Daarut is still hallucinating.

Moloch: you're up!

Baelem

Postby Baelem » Nov 28th, '17, 15:53

Moloch's eyes roll back in his head momentarily and he murmurs a prayer on behalf of the brave, foolish Derendil. His eyes then snap back to the demon and he unleashes yet another bolt of energy:

1d20+6 => 14, 6 => 20

1d10+4 => 10, 4 => 14
force
plus
1d6 => 1 => 1
necrotic

He then retreats further back towards the north edge of the illusion.

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Nov 28th, '17, 16:13

Moloch's bolt again flies true and hits the demon in its torso. The demon howls in agony and looks like another blast of that amount will send the demon back to the abyss.

Jimjar takes a shot with his crossbow:

1d20+4 => 2, 4 => 6
and misses... again... (OOC: Jimjar was pretty bad this combat :) )

He retreats back with Moloch.

Scafell, you're up again!
Attachments
Fungus-patch-20.jpg

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Dec 4th, '17, 15:26

Paging Scafell!

jasonw

Postby jasonw » Dec 4th, '17, 15:29

Scafell bites the demon

d20+5 => 1, 5 => 6

1d8+3 => 4, 3 => 7
damage
Plus
2d8 => 4, 8 => 12
poison dmg, or half on a DC11 CON save

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Dec 4th, '17, 15:31

OOC: Ouch!

1d6 => 5 => 5
to see if Scafell regenerates his web.

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Dec 4th, '17, 15:31

And he does regenerate his web! I'll move us on in a few minutes.

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Dec 4th, '17, 15:36

The monster does something different this time, instead of biting and slashing, it looks, well, it looks like it's about to let loose a giant bowel movement. If a demon could look constipated, this one is doing so. Then with a terrible sounding BLATTTATTTT, a giant cloud of spores release from all over the demon in a 15' radius around the demon.

Everyone in the 15' radius has to succeed on a DC 14 CON Save, or become poisoned. While poisoned in this way, a target takes 1d10 poison damage at the start of each of its turns. A target can repeat the save at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on a success.

That means Scafell and Derendil have to make CON saves.

Derendil:
1d20+3 => 7, 3 => 10
and he fails. Derendil is poisoned.

Scafell, need DC 14 CON save please.

jasonw

Postby jasonw » Dec 4th, '17, 22:42

CON save
d20+2 => 15, 2 => 17

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Dec 4th, '17, 22:46

That's good news for Scafell! He's immune to the poison effect.

Stool hangs tight with no change. Cas, you're up!

shortsinsnow

Postby shortsinsnow » Dec 5th, '17, 06:47

Seeing the creature spew out the poisonous clouds, Cas shouts over to his allies "Fall back! You needn't be so reckless!"

Sacred Flame (I'll get him one of these days!) DC 13 DEX save or take radiant damage below
1d8 => 4 => 4

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Dec 5th, '17, 11:44

1d20+5 => 16, 5 => 21
Dex save

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Dec 5th, '17, 11:45

Cas, unfortunately, the demon manages to dodge your divine flame coming down from above the demon. Did you want to move or do anything else?

shortsinsnow

Postby shortsinsnow » Dec 5th, '17, 12:07

...Yes, Cas will do something else.

He is quite frustrated. His allies are not listening, he is not landing any attacks, he is growing concerned as this fruitless battle is taxing their already limited supplied and health. Enough is enough. He holds his holy symbol aloft, and a burning light flashes next to the demon, and a ghostly longsword appears. It swings at the demon as if gripped with two hands, and drives to cut it in two.

Spiritual Weapon
1d20+5 => 4, 5 => 9

1d8+3 => 3, 3 => 6

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Dec 5th, '17, 13:10

The ghostly longsword slashes in at the demon and strikes a glancing blow that doesn't appear to do any damage. But, the sword definitely got the demon's attention as it howls at the sword with a combination of a screech and a hiss.

OOC: Just realized quaggoths are immune to poison, so he's not going to take any poison damage and he's no longer poisoned.

Derendil repeats his attack with his claws into the demon!

1d20+5 => 8, 5 => 13

1d20+5 => 15, 5 => 20

His first swipe with his claws misses, but his second attack rakes across the belly of the beast, for
1d6+3 => 3, 3 => 6
slashing damage. However, Derendil's claws don't seem very effective against the demon and it only takes half damage from Derendil's attack.

Daarut continues hallucinating behind the illusion, muching away on imaginary food.

Moloch, you're up!

Baelem

Postby Baelem » Dec 6th, '17, 10:58

Moloch snickers strangely. "Oh great Old One, shall we end this?" He flicks his hands once more and hurls a blast at the creature:

1d20+6 => 16, 6 => 22

1d10+4 => 6, 4 => 10 invalid
force plus
1d6 => 4 => 4
necrotic

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Dec 6th, '17, 13:17

Moloch's blast flies true and strikes the Demon.

Moloch, how would you like to kill the Demon with your eldritch blast? :)

Baelem

Postby Baelem » Dec 6th, '17, 13:34

The flickering green energy blast catches the demon right between the collarbones, burns its way through the spine to the shoulderblades, and pulsates momentarily with seething power.

Moloch claps his hands together in front of him, whispers "He watches us indeed," then vigorously spreads out his arms as if inviting an embrace. As he gestures, the creature's torso splits in half, shearing off both wings, its butchered head dangling by a few threads of sinew.

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Dec 6th, '17, 14:15

Moloch, you feel confirmation from the great old one as your blast slammed into the Demon. You hear a faint chuckle in the back of your mind as all your spell slots have been restored as if you've taken a long rest.

Great job guys! Demon defeated. We're out of combat. What do you do? Suggestions would be tracking down Eldeth (or not), and figuring out how to get Daarut to stop hallucinating.

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Dec 6th, '17, 15:38

XP Awarded in XP thread.

Baelem

Postby Baelem » Dec 7th, '17, 18:47

Moloch turns on his heels and starts running south. "I'll leave it to you lot to deal with this, er..." he gestures at the mess in the main cavern. "Eldeth! Stool! It's safe now! Crisis averted!" He dismisses the illusion and takes off as fast as he can in pursuit of his fleeing companions.

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Dec 7th, '17, 20:51

Moloch quickly sees Stool and Daarut as he dismisses the illusion. Stool is himself, albeit looking as scared as a tiny mushroom man can look. Daarut is still hallucinating, but seated on the ground so no risk of him leaving the area.

Eldeth is no where to be seen or heard. How far are you wanting to run to find her?

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Dec 7th, '17, 21:13

Scafell, Cas, what are you doing while Moloch dimisses the illusion and runs south?

shortsinsnow

Postby shortsinsnow » Dec 8th, '17, 07:04

Seeing that the crisis is averted and people seem to be okay for the moment, Cas walks over to the now late demon and does an examination of it and its wounds. Has he seen this before (presumably in a book)? What can he recall? What seemed to hurt it the most? Knowledge is the key to their survival at this point.

Religion check?
1d20+6 => 4, 6 => 10

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Dec 8th, '17, 10:19

Also roll me a nature / arcana check, whichever is higher.

shortsinsnow

Postby shortsinsnow » Dec 8th, '17, 11:14

Arcana
1d20+6 => 6, 6 => 12

Nature
1d20+4 => 3, 4 => 7

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Dec 8th, '17, 12:34

Cas, you have seen sketches of these demons in books before, but never in person. You unfortunately can't remember its specific name. You do know that it's about smack-dab in the middle in the "danger" scale as far as demons go. Above quasits and dretches, but well below balors and other demon princes.

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Dec 8th, '17, 15:26

Scafell, what are you going to do?

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Dec 8th, '17, 21:57

OOC and FYI:

The links in my signature might be dead for a day or so; I'm doing a reorganization of all my various repos. I'll update the link soon.

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Dec 8th, '17, 22:41

Links in my signature should be all fixed now. Let me know if you get a dead one or something.

jasonw

Postby jasonw » Dec 11th, '17, 12:06

Scafell scuttles around the chamber we're in looking for Eldeth

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Dec 11th, '17, 13:49

Ok, so Scafell is going to follow Moloch to the south? (she fled the chamber in terror back the way you came down the tunnel)

jasonw

Postby jasonw » Dec 11th, '17, 14:43

Oh right, sorry, missed that. Yes :)

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Dec 11th, '17, 15:40

Scafell goes Scuttling south with Moloch, however, Scafell doesn't see anything other than Moloch. Unless I hear otherwise, I'm going to have Scafell follow Moloch.

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Dec 11th, '17, 15:41

Moloch, can you describe generally how much time and how far you're going to chase after Eldeth?

Baelem

Postby Baelem » Dec 11th, '17, 21:13

"Scafell, can you follow dwarf footprints? *pant* *pant* I'd expect Eldeth wasn't trying hard to cover her tracks."

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Dec 13th, '17, 20:01

Scafell, you're up! If you want to attempt to mime something, we'll do a "perform" check versus Moloch's Insight. If your perform check is same or greater than Moloch's insight, then we'll say you can convey some simple concepts. As always, something creative or extra descriptive just might get advantage or a hand waive. ;)

Edit, wait: we're going to set the DC at Moloch's Passive Insight.

Baelem

Postby Baelem » Dec 14th, '17, 00:37

In the event Scafell isn't able to provide any useful information on tracking, Moloch will keep running for a few minutes (say 20 rounds) and if no sign of Eldeth, will slow down and try to look for signs of her movements.

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Dec 14th, '17, 10:13

Still going to wait for Scafell to post another real-life day or two. If not, I'm just going to assume Scafell tags along with Moloch for the 20 rounds or so.

jasonw

Postby jasonw » Dec 14th, '17, 17:43

Scafell shrugs with two of his legs and follows Moloch

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Dec 14th, '17, 22:17

Moloch and Scafell keep moving quickly down the passage after about a minute and a half of moving as fast as they can, they hear a female dwarven voice:

Click only if you can speak/understand dwarven and you are Scafell or Moloch:
► Show Spoiler

It sounds about 90-120 feet in front of you but still too far out side of range of your darkvision.

What do you do?

Baelem

Postby Baelem » Dec 14th, '17, 23:26

Moloch slows to a walk and calls out. "ELDETH?" *pant* *pant*

jasonw

Postby jasonw » Dec 15th, '17, 00:59

Scafell flows back into Dwarven shape and continues walking towards the voice until he can see

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Dec 15th, '17, 07:54

You hear the same voice reply in common, "There's at least 2 spiders chasing me!" As you hear that, you hear what you assume are Eldeth's boots on the ground running back towards you; still out of range of your darkvision.

You have maybe 1-2 rounds before she'll be within 60'; anything you two want to do?

Baelem

Postby Baelem » Dec 15th, '17, 09:59

"One was Scafell, but he's back to being a Dwarf now. Do you still hear them now?"

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Dec 15th, '17, 10:44

"YES YOU FOOL THEY'RE TRYING TO EAT ME!"

As she says that she breaks the plane of your dark vision at a dead sprint, with a terrified look on her face. And moments later two giant spiders follow less than 10 feet away!

Roll initiative please.

Baelem

Postby Baelem » Dec 15th, '17, 10:48

1d20+3 => 3, 3 => 6
initiative

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Dec 15th, '17, 12:48

Spiders initiative:
1d20+3 => 8, 3 => 11

Eldeth's initiative:
1d20+2 => 6, 2 => 8

jasonw

Postby jasonw » Dec 15th, '17, 12:54

init
d20+2 => 4, 2 => 6

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Dec 15th, '17, 12:56

Tie breaker roll for Moloch and Scafell: odds, Moloch goes first, evens Scafell goes first:
1d2 => 1 => 1

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Dec 15th, '17, 13:37

Spider A launches a web at Eldeth:

1d20+5 => 9, 5 => 14
and misses! The spider nonetheless runs up to engage Eldeth.

Spider B also launches a web at Eldeth:

1d20+5 => 7, 5 => 12
and also misses. Spider B also runs up to engage Eldeth.

Eldeth takes a stab at Spider A with her short sword:

1d20+4 => 12, 4 => 16
and hits the spider for

1d6+2 => 5, 2 => 7
piercing damage.

Moloch, you're up!
Attachments
spider-hall.png

Baelem

Postby Baelem » Dec 15th, '17, 17:31

Moloch points at the spider Eldeth just stabbed and hisses a curse at it, making a twisting motion with his hand, (ooc: casts Hex, Wisdom penalty), then hurls a bolt of energy at it:

1d20+6 => 20, 6 => 26

1d10+4 => 6, 4 => 10
force dmg
1d6 => 2 => 2
necrotic dmg

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Dec 15th, '17, 19:22

It's a natural 20 for Moloch, so he'll do an extra
1d10 => 6 => 6
force damage too! That's a total of 18 damage to the spider!

Moloch's force bolt slams into the spiders face, smashing away most of it's numerous eyes, leaving only a few behind. It's like half of its 'face' is just... gone... Perhaps a single finishing blow is all that is needed to end it.

Scafell! You're up! Spider A looks like one more hit will do it in, Spider B is completely fresh.

Return to “OotA”