Campaign info / applications thread

Dry

Campaign info / applications thread

Postby Dry » Jul 14th, '16, 15:25

The nation of Katan

Population: approx. 3 million, ~60% humans, other races are found in various proportions.

Geography: A fairly small country surrounded by mountains in most directions. Largely covered in forest. Temperate, continental climate. Like Switzerland.

Primary exports: Marble - 3 types from different quarries (white in the north, green in the east and red in the southwest), and lumber. Both are exported in raw form as well as crafted into various items by local artisans.
Primary imports: steel and other metals, exotic foods, pelts and fabrics.

Ruler and basic history: Katan is a relatively young country, only dating back a couple hundred years. The current ruler is King Olaf, nearly 30 years on the throne, nearly 50 years old. Much loved by the general populace, he has brought Katan into its most prosperous period in generations. By diverting tax money to funding libraries, colleges and temples, the general health and education levels have gone up drastically. Katan has vast natural resources, and anyone wishing a permit to make use of them must agree to hire anyone able&willing to work; this combined with the high quality of Katan education, and very harsh stance on crime, has resulted in minimal unemployment and a generally high standard of living for all citizens. This is further reinforced by strong trade links to neighbouring states, as well as the Wanderers. There is also an ongoing program of turning felled woodland into farmland, rather than replanting trees, so that Katan will be more independent with regards to food production.

Crime: Katan has 3 cardinal crimes, all of which are punished in the same way.
- Dishonesty, in affairs of business and state.
- Theft, and destruction of property without compensation.
- Violence, and the threat of violence, against an unwilling party.
Crimes are punished on a 2 strike system: a brand for the first offense, death for the second.
Branded members of society are treated no worse than anyone else; it is acknowledged that everyone might make a cardinal mistake once. Moving past it is a sign of strength.
The above only applies to adults; children are consigned to temples for education in the values of Katan; this is highly effective.
As a result, Katan is perhaps the only nation on the continent without resident thieves or assassins guilds.

Citizenship: All citizens of Katan are marked with a sigil of citizenship. When a child reaches adulthood (aged 15, regardless of race) they are given a choice: either take the citizen’s mark, or the mark of a Wanderer. Those who wish to leave Katan’s borders, to travel the world, either for trade, or seeking adventure, or because they dislike the structure of Katan’s society, are marked as Wanderers and given travelling provisions. Wanderers of Katan are generally respected across the continent, often sought out as solvers of problems, as a result of the high quality of education and training they will have received. Wanderers may return freely to Katan at any time, though only in passing; they may never take permanent residence there.

Visitors to Katan receive a temporary sigil which denotes them as visitors. It is made with a special magical ink which cannot be removed except by the border guards. The laws are explained to them upon entry and they agree to follow them, including all consequences.

Anyone found without one of the three sigils (citizen, wanderer, visitor) is assumed to be a spy or criminal, and breaking the law against Dishonesty. They are treated accordingly.

Katan is guarded by a relatively small force of highly trained elite soldiers and constabulary; though many of the citizens are more than capable of defending themselves and their homeland if needed.

Campaign intro: you are in the capital of Katan, named Marvel. Or perhaps Marble. Nobody seems to really know which it is, and both are apt descriptions.
It is currently two weeks into a month of celebrations leading up to the king's 50th birthday.

You are a Wanderer – you were born and raised in Katan, and left at the age of 15, for one of the reasons detailed above, or similar. Perhaps you were following a friend out into the world? Regardless, you have returned to Katan specifically for this event, though you may also have secondary reasons for being here. You may be a frequent sight passing through Katan, working in neighbouring countries; or it may be your first time back in many years – perhaps since you originally left.

Please create a level 7 character as per the Players Handbook. 27-point-buy for stats (calculator)
You may use Sword Coast Adventurers Guide and Elemental Evil character creation options.

You may not pick any starting race/variant with natural flight or sunlight sensitivity.
Aasimar are a permitted race, using the design shown here.

Note that Katan has had a poor history with wood elves, and druids, and you will run into high levels of prejudice in many circles if you choose to play one.

You may write your own background with a suitably balanced feature (subject to approval) and any combination of 3 skill/tool/language proficiencies, if you do not wish to use one of the stock backgrounds. Regardless of whether or not you use a stock or custom background, make sure you adapt it to reflect your early years growing up in Katan (no street urchins, etc).

During character creation, ignore the section on starting items both from class and from background.

Instead, you have a budget of 1200 gold pieces to buy items as listed in the PHB – weapons, armor, tools, accessories, mounts, clothing, equipment packs, anything shown there is permitted.

Any unspent gold will be carried over into your character's wallet.

Weapons may be silvered at prices in the PHB.

Any consumable spell components are also allowed to be bought from this budget, provided your character can cast the spell in question.

You may also, from the same budget, purchase no more than two items total from the following list:

Potion of healing (heals 2d4+2), 50gp
Potion of greater healing (heals 4d4+4), 150gp
Potion of superior healing (heals 8d4+8), 450gp
Single use level 1 spell scroll, 60gp
Single use level 2 spell scroll, 120gp
Single use level 3 spell scroll, 200gp
Single use level 4 spell scroll, 320gp

You may choose any spell, except those which require consumable material components, or those which are exclusive to the cleric or warlock classes, or those with duration over 24hrs.
Spells must be of the level of the scroll, e.g. you cannot use a 4th level scroll to cast a 1st level spell at 4th level.

We will not be using as-written encumberance (because seriously...), however you need to be able to reasonably justify how your character is carrying what you claim they are.

For anything else not listed here, please consult the DM. Creativity is welcome, but keep it balanced.

You will need an online editable/sharable character sheet - either save yourself a copy of this blank template or find something similar to your own taste.

lhx
Site Admin

Re: Campaign info / applications thread

Postby lhx » Jul 14th, '16, 15:30

Love the setting. I'll have a character put together soon.
Find me on freenode with the username lhx in #texasxtremerpg or professionally at lawjrm.com
LMoP: GM - LMoP combat tracker OotA: GM - OotA combat tracker, Inventory Tedpocalypse: Zertius, Human Cleric

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Jul 14th, '16, 16:57

Here's the sheet for my Mountain Dwarf Berserker Barbarian Rang Skitters. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

Rang struggled mightily but passed his Wanderer classes, and was more interested in war and battle tactics, where he excelled. He has served in the neighboring dwarven kingdom of Stel's mercenary legion, where he did so well that he was promoted into their main army. After decades of soldiering and several small wars and skirmishes, primarily against orc tribes, he took his retirement while still a young dwarf to return for the King's celebration in Katan. He has learned to capture and refine his lust for battle and is moderately famous for his savage barbarian-style attacks on the battle field.

Where he goes next he hasn't decided; but, he has decided that his organized military days are over. He will be on the lookout for likeminded individuals, preferably good alignments, to use his battle skills for good.
Find me on freenode with the username lhx in #texasxtremerpg or professionally at lawjrm.com
LMoP: GM - LMoP combat tracker OotA: GM - OotA combat tracker, Inventory Tedpocalypse: Zertius, Human Cleric

Dry

Postby Dry » Jul 14th, '16, 17:13

Looks good! You're welcome to roll a d100 for a trinket if you wish.

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Jul 14th, '16, 17:58

1d100 => 36 => 36

Dry

Postby Dry » Jul 15th, '16, 03:27

36: "A vest with one hundred tiny pockets"

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Jul 20th, '16, 12:21

Cool. Added to my character sheet.

shortsinsnow

Postby shortsinsnow » Jul 20th, '16, 19:23

OK I am just leaving this as a place holder. I have a character in mind but I just need to level them up and pick out their things. Backstory will be loaded with the updated character sheet.
Quick point- Brother Brottor, Dwarven priest of Torm (or equivalent)
OotA: Xilvaris Castien

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Jul 20th, '16, 20:39

shortsinsnow wrote:OK I am just leaving this as a place holder. I have a character in mind but I just need to level them up and pick out their things. Backstory will be loaded with the updated character sheet.

Looking forward to meeting Brother Brottor!

Dry

Postby Dry » Jul 21st, '16, 03:47

shortsinsnow wrote:OK I am just leaving this as a place holder. I have a character in mind but I just need to level them up and pick out their things. Backstory will be loaded with the updated character sheet.

Welcome aboard! You're welcome to pick from any of the available dieties so Torm is perfectly fine.

shortsinsnow

Postby shortsinsnow » Jul 21st, '16, 11:18

Okay, so here is the link to the character sheet, like, 85% done atm: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fw89k2dp7xa5v ... .xlsx?dl=0
And here is the character back story, adjusted for this campaign: https://www.dropbox.com/s/nv5l0kz4roxd7 ... y.doc?dl=0

deltreey

Postby deltreey » Jul 21st, '16, 12:06

I'm in. Character to follow

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Jul 21st, '16, 12:10

shortsinsnow wrote:Okay, so here is the link to the character sheet, like, 85% done atm: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fw89k2dp7xa5v ... .xlsx?dl=0
And here is the character back story, adjusted for this campaign: https://www.dropbox.com/s/nv5l0kz4roxd7 ... y.doc?dl=0

Neat backstory. Like it. :mrgreen:

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Jul 21st, '16, 12:10

deltreey wrote:I'm in. Character to follow

Hurray!

shortsinsnow

Postby shortsinsnow » Jul 21st, '16, 12:50

lhx wrote:
Neat backstory. Like it. :mrgreen:

Yeah, 2 mountain dwarves so far, maybe we can convince everyone to make a dwarf party :lol:

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Jul 21st, '16, 13:06

:D I've actually never played a dwarf in all my years. Nor a barbarian. This should be fun. :D

Dry

Postby Dry » Jul 21st, '16, 13:40

It's up to you guys if you want to know each other in advance; I was assuming you wouldn't, but it works just as well either way.

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Jul 21st, '16, 14:01

Rang doesn't have any need to know the other PCs in the past; but, if that is necessary for the other PCs, I'd be happy to cooperate if it helps out with story. :)

Dry

Postby Dry » Jul 21st, '16, 14:02

Everyone who hasn't yet done so, please feel free to roll a d100 for a trinket (as per PHB p.160-161) if you so wish.

shortsinsnow

Postby shortsinsnow » Jul 21st, '16, 14:10

1d100 => 13 => 13

shortsinsnow

Postby shortsinsnow » Jul 21st, '16, 14:12

And I wasn't suggesting we had to know one another. Due to Brottor's longtime seclusion, he wouldn't really know many people to begin with :cry:

Dry

Postby Dry » Jul 21st, '16, 14:12

shortsinsnow wrote:1d100 => 13 => 13

You have in your possession a tooth from an unknown beast.

Dry

Postby Dry » Jul 21st, '16, 14:20

Also just to clarify the "couple centuries" statement in the first post, Katan was founded 263 years ago, and has had the same policies on crime and citizenship from day 1 - and though it was always available to the citizenry from the beginning, the quality of education and welfare have gone up greatly under Olaf's rule.

shortsinsnow

Postby shortsinsnow » Jul 21st, '16, 14:25

Was it sort of a sub-regional city-state that obtained independence of the parental region? Or it is more of a new world discovery, laying claim and setting up shop?

Also, lol Brottor is almost as old as the country

Dry

Postby Dry » Jul 21st, '16, 14:28

shortsinsnow wrote:Brottor is almost as old as the country
I figure his parents would have been in with the first wave of settlers.

Katan was up until then just mostly untouched wilderness; it was mostly forest in between mountains, and druidy woodelf types lived there - and on the foothills of the mountains from the northeast to the south, were nomadic goliath tribes. Unlike the wood elves however, the goliaths were happy to integrate into Katan society and have some more stability in their life - they were given fair deals to mining permits (something they hadn't indulged in in the past) and many joined the national guard.

The main trade routes all go through a dwarven kingdom on Katan's west border; it's the most easily accessible direction, as mountains make travel difficult anywhere else, necessitating much smaller caravans to navigate their passes.

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Jul 21st, '16, 14:30

What other kingdoms border Katan?

Namaphry

Postby Namaphry » Jul 21st, '16, 14:35

Still working on my character sheet! This one's a high elf, not a mountain dwarf, though. It's probably for the best that my character hasn't met the other PCs before. Trinket roll goes here? 1d100 => 42 => 42

Dry

Postby Dry » Jul 21st, '16, 14:37

The dwarven kingdom west is named Stel. You suspect this is where the Common name of the metal steel derives from, as they certainly manufacture a lot of it in Stel. To the north and south are both primarily human lands (Acelon and Morikova, which has a large sea coast) with various other races interspersed. Northeast is a small elven city-state named Helix, established as a research outpost for Ortheiad to the south, across the sea. East the mountains stretch for quite some way, with noone besides really living there - rumour has it that dragons are to be found around those peaks.

Dry

Postby Dry » Jul 21st, '16, 14:37

Namaphry wrote:Trinket roll goes here? 1d100 => 42 => 42

You have in your possession a rank insignia from a lost legionnaire.

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Jul 21st, '16, 14:38

Also for those new to the forum, always make sure your dice rolls are on separate lines if you're rolling more than once otherwise the plugin borks out. :)

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Jul 21st, '16, 14:38

Dry wrote:The dwarven kingdom west is named Stel. You suspect this is where the Common name of the metal steel derives from, as they certainly manufacture a lot of it in Stel. To the north and south are both primarily human lands (Acelon and Morikova, which has a large sea coast) with various other races interspersed. Northeast is a small elven city-state named Helix, established as a research outpost for Ortheiad to the south, across the sea. East the mountains stretch for quite some way, with noone besides really living there - rumour has it that dragons are to be found around those peaks.

Which kingdom do you think fits Rang's soldiering duties the best?

Dry

Postby Dry » Jul 21st, '16, 14:51

lhx wrote:Which kingdom do you think fits Rang's soldiering duties the best?

Stel is a fairly large, sprawling country; they often fight creatures from the underdark as a result of their deep mining activities. Soldiers are always welcomed here. To the west they are trying to expand into lands occupied by orcs, and there is plenty of conflict there.

Morikova's military forces are largely naval, and focus on repelling pirates in the sea and keeping maritime trade routes secure etc.

Acelon only keeps a token military, as north of them is frozen tundra, East the mountains expand (though they do station soldiers there to repel any ...creatures... coming from the peaks in search of easy prey) and south and west their neighbours (Katan and Stel, respectively) are friendly. Though some of Stel's fighting with the orcs has led to them having to reinforce their northwest border too in recent years.

Helix have their own elvish forces.

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Jul 21st, '16, 14:53

Stel it is then; he's not a shipman. Sounds like a neat world. Can't wait to dive in.

shortsinsnow

Postby shortsinsnow » Jul 21st, '16, 14:54

Awesome, it might make sense that perhaps Brottor went Stel where he lived with mostly dwarven priests. And now he feels it is time to move on and do something with his life besides living in the shadow of a mountain.

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Jul 21st, '16, 15:11

Updated Rang's background slightly to add in Stel, and to make mention that he fought a lot of orcs in his two decades as a soldier.

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=112&p=3711#p3711

Dry

Postby Dry » Jul 21st, '16, 15:13

At this point I would like to add that we now have 4 players (lhx, shorts, del, nama), and are not accepting any further applicants. The adventure will commence once everyone's characters are ready to go.

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Jul 21st, '16, 15:17

Get those PCs in! :)

deltreey

Postby deltreey » Jul 21st, '16, 16:51

Delive Arimey is joining the party. Character sheet on google drive. DM, please let me know anything I need to fix on the sheet because I'm still fairly new to 5e. We discussed her background briefly, but if you'd like me to do a writeup, just let me know.

*see signature*

Equipment is here because it won't fit on the sheet

studded leather armor (45gp)
dagger (2gp)
rapier (25gp)

heavy backpack (4gp) - per DM
- bedroll (1gp)
- mess kit (2sp)
- tinderbox (5sp)
- 10 days rations (5gp)
- waterskin (2sp)
- 50ft silk rope (10gp)
- 2 map/scroll cases (2gp)
- 3 sets of fine clothes (45gp)
- bottle of ink (10gp)
- ink pen (2cp)
- bullseye lantern (10gp)
- 2 flasks of oil (2sp)
- 5 sheets of paper (1gp)
- 1 vial of perfume (5gp)
- sealing wax (5sp)
- signet ring (5gp)
- soap (2cp)
- 1000 ball bearings (1gp)
- 10 feet of string (2sp) - per DM
- bell (1gp)
- crowbar (2gp)
- hammer (1gp)
- 10 pitons (5sp)
- whetstone (1cp)

- thieves tools (25gp)
- forgery kit (15gp)
- disguise kit (25gp)

- Fabricate scroll (320gp)
- Major Image scroll (200gp)

carriage (100gp)
- feed 20 days (1gp)
- 2 riding horses (150gp)
- 2 riding saddles (20gp)
- 2 bit & bridles (4gp)
Last edited by deltreey on Jul 25th, '16, 17:10, edited 6 times in total.

deltreey

Postby deltreey » Jul 21st, '16, 17:01

1d100 => 24 => 24

Dry

Postby Dry » Jul 21st, '16, 17:05

deltreey wrote:Delive Arimey is joining the party. Character sheet on google drive. DM, please let me know anything I need to fix on the sheet because I'm still fairly new to 5e. We discussed her background briefly, but if you'd like me to do a writeup, just let me know.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7WTf0 ... sp=sharing

Mostly looks fine, though I'd appreciate if you could fill in your skill and save +/- numbers.
Also, why do you have 2 daggers with different attack bonuses?
Also, don't forget your finesse weapons deal not just dice, but dice+dex so it will be d8+2 on the rapier, etc. Initiative is just your +dex unless you have anything that affects it otherwise.
Which Noble feature are you taking, position of priviledge or retainers?
deltreey wrote:1d100 => 24 => 24

You have in your possession a multicolored stone disk

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Jul 21st, '16, 17:43

Where's the updated deltreey sheet? (Or is it the same link?)

deltreey

Postby deltreey » Jul 21st, '16, 19:33

updated sheet *see signature*
Last edited by deltreey on Jul 25th, '16, 17:11, edited 3 times in total.

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Jul 21st, '16, 21:10

Thanks!

Dry

Postby Dry » Jul 22nd, '16, 02:39

thieves tools should be +8 not +6 because you forgot to add dex to the double proficiency.
also you still haven't picked which Noble feature you are taking, position of priviledge or retainers?

shortsinsnow

Postby shortsinsnow » Jul 22nd, '16, 06:59

Okay, I've just updated Brother Brottor. Changed a spell or two, added some scrolls, opted for a breast plate (which he would wear under his robes if need be) But otherwise the same major stuff like stats:https://www.dropbox.com/s/fw89k2dp7xa5vw8/Brother%20Brottor.xlsx?dl=0

Dry

Postby Dry » Jul 22nd, '16, 08:42

shortsinsnow wrote:Okay, I've just updated Brother Brottor. Changed a spell or two, added some scrolls, opted for a breast plate (which he would wear under his robes if need be) But otherwise the same major stuff like stats:https://www.dropbox.com/s/fw89k2dp7xa5vw8/Brother%20Brottor.xlsx?dl=0
mass healing word is a cleric-exclusive spell and therefore not a valid choice for scrolls, as described in the first post

shortsinsnow

Postby shortsinsnow » Jul 22nd, '16, 08:54

Crap, I looked right over that part...Okay, make it a scroll of Flying then

Dry

Postby Dry » Jul 22nd, '16, 09:49

just copying a this bit from a discussion with Nama as it's something all of your characters would know too:

[Fri 15:34] <DryEagle> > bear in mind that the borders are warded so that at least the national guard would know if someone crossed, even if they might not necessarily respond to it if it's someone permitted to be in Katan e.g. a wanderer
[Fri 15:35] <DryEagle> > the actual border in more... civilised parts, is a bit more heavily reinforced.
[Fri 15:37] <Namaphry> > That's a pretty big spell! How long has it been around?
[Fri 15:37] <Namaphry> > I don't think Nayveen would have crossed the border any time in the last 50 years at least.
[Fri 15:38] <DryEagle> > since the nation was established. it's not so much an ongoing spell, as runes inlaid in such a way that any passage between them is noticed
[Fri 15:38] <DryEagle> > low maintenance but relatively effective at what it does
[Fri 15:39] <DryEagle> > you would know this as part of your general education as a youngster
[Fri 15:39] <Namaphry> > Oh. So it wouldn't work very well for tracking individual crossings if someone attacked it, although it'd be obvious that someone had done that.
[Fri 15:39] <DryEagle> > right
[Fri 15:41] <Namaphry> > Not any use for someone travelling alone, but useful for raiding and banditry... or it would have been back when they didn't have good roads or a big army.
[Fri 15:41] <Namaphry> > So, even a less smart idea now than said raiding and banditry.
[Fri 15:42] <DryEagle> > though bearing in mind these are national defense systems put in place by mages powerful enough to cover the whole border of a nation. i.e. they're not going to be trivial to just destroy or disable
[Fri 15:44] <Namaphry> > If they're not made out of adamantine or defended by something, it'd seem odd if they couldn't just be defaced. They could be defended by bound elementals or something, I guess.
[Fri 15:45] <DryEagle> > unsurprisingly the specifics of their functionality isn't taught to schoolchildren. it's more like "and we have these things to keep us safe so you can sleep easy at night!" kinda lessons
[Fri 15:46] <DryEagle> > if you want some kind of mental image, imagine some small obelisks covered in runes every dozen km or so along the borders
[Fri 15:46] <Namaphry> > Do people who go poke at them just not come back, or do they find them basically impenetrable/terrifying in a manner they can't describe, or get lost on the way there and forget what they were looking for?
[Fri 15:46] <DryEagle> > they find that poking them doesn't really do anything
[Fri 15:47] <DryEagle> > they just... keep on functioning
[Fri 15:47] <Namaphry> > Even with really sharp sticks? Maybe they are adamantine. Or just magic.
[Fri 15:47] <DryEagle> > oh they're definitely magic

Dry

Postby Dry » Jul 22nd, '16, 10:51

Looks good, Namaphry. OK, that's the 4th and final character. At this point I'd just like everyone to confirm they are ready to go, have finished making their final tweaks, and post the final versions of their character sheets; then we can start the campaign!

deltreey

Postby deltreey » Jul 22nd, '16, 10:57

putting together a bio, but my character is good to go.

shortsinsnow

Postby shortsinsnow » Jul 22nd, '16, 11:06

I'm set, more or less. What is our expectation of participation? Like how often are we expected to make a post?

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Jul 22nd, '16, 11:09

Rang is good to go. Rang's sheet is linked in my signature.

Dry

Postby Dry » Jul 22nd, '16, 14:04

shortsinsnow wrote:What is our expectation of participation? Like how often are we expected to make a post?

as often as there is cause for your character to do something; but at minimum i'd hope you'd check in at least once every day or two - of course people go on holidays etc, but what with it being so simple to open up the forum on even a smartphone, finding 5 minutes here and there to put in a quick word isn't too hard :)

Namaphry

Postby Namaphry » Jul 22nd, '16, 20:54

I don't think there's anything left that I need to correct, though I sure had a lot of tough decisions. I'm ready to start now.

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Jul 22nd, '16, 21:01

Namaphry wrote:I don't think there's anything left that I need to correct, though I sure had a lot of tough decisions. I'm ready to start now.

The game has started. Check the forum for a new thread. :) viewtopic.php?f=33&t=115

Return to “Tales of Katan”