Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

User avatar
deltreey
Posts: 1231
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 12:05
Location: Florida

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby deltreey » Sep 28th, '16, 14:15

Delive hurried to beat the monk to the door, walking at a near-run to ensure he didn't get away. Her task for him would only take a moment anyway.

"Excuse me." She said, expecting it to disturb the silent tranquility of the room.

User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby Dry » Sep 28th, '16, 14:41

The sound doesn't quite echo around the room, but it's not far off. The monk turns to look at you, and a few other people turn their heads too. The monk brings a finger to his lips to indicate you to not be so loud, then waves you over to follow him, as he reaches and steps through the door.

Inside, what you find is a simply appointed office, with a letter desk and several softly-cushioned chairs by a table, which bears many rings, suggesting it's used for eating.

The monk motions you to one of the chairs at the table, and takes the other himself.

User avatar
deltreey
Posts: 1231
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 12:05
Location: Florida

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby deltreey » Sep 28th, '16, 14:44

Delive didn't sit, but politely entered the office and handed him the sealed scroll.

"Could you see that this finds its way to Brother Brottor?" She said with a smile.




User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby Dry » Sep 28th, '16, 14:47

He gives you a slightly confused look, then goes over to the desk, where he pulls out an old, old looking ledger from the bottom drawer. He flips through to the last page, which has a long list of names on it. Scanning down the page, he looks up at you and shakes his head.

Namaphry
Posts: 736
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 14:02

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby Namaphry » Sep 28th, '16, 15:03

Nayveen doesn't poke around the manse too much, but she explores the grove, and the ways in and out. If she were cautious, she wouldn't be here, but so long as she is, she might as well try to make sure she's prepared, in the case of an ambush.

User avatar
deltreey
Posts: 1231
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 12:05
Location: Florida

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby deltreey » Sep 28th, '16, 15:10

Delive furrowed her brow. "Are you sure? He said he'd be staying here tonight. Could you at least show me to the room he's been staying in?"

This is bad. Either Brottor had to leave unexpectedly, or someone was lying to her. Either way, it meant that Brottor, and by proxy the rest of the group, was in danger. The peace of the temple faded. This was bad news of the worst kind. She focused on being alert to her surroundings. If this "monk" meant her harm, she would be sure that she wouldn't go down easy.




User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby Dry » Sep 28th, '16, 15:22

Namaphry wrote:Nayveen doesn't poke around the manse too much, but she explores the grove, and the ways in and out. If she were cautious, she wouldn't be here, but so long as she is, she might as well try to make sure she's prepared, in the case of an ambush.

Making your way around the periphery until you reach the grove, you find that it's been looked after. The trees are well spaced, the ground around them tidy. Looking up, one of the larger ones has a treehouse built into it, though not too recently - you estimate perhaps three years ago. There is a small pile of neatly stacked logs at the edge of the grove; they have been stacked in a square shape, useful to keep wood dry in all weather, rather than closely packed with a roof for the winter.

Due to the area being well maintained and the trees set apart from each other, there are good sight lines in all directions. Make a perception roll.

deltreey wrote:Delive furrowed her brow. "Are you sure? He said he'd be staying here tonight. Could you at least show me to the room he's been staying in?"

You see a look of understanding pass across his eyes. He flips the ledger back to its front, to the first page, where there is a faded map of the temple. He points to a section marked 'guest accomodation' and gives you a nod, then holds out his hand for the letter.

User avatar
deltreey
Posts: 1231
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 12:05
Location: Florida

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby deltreey » Sep 28th, '16, 15:25

Delive examined the map and nodded, pulling the letter back from the monk. "I'll go with to ensure there's no confusion. It's a private matter." She said with a smile before stepping back from the desk to allow the monk room to show her the way to the guest accomodations.




User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby Dry » Sep 28th, '16, 15:29

Once more he shakes his head, and points to a clock on the wall, which shows it's a little past 3am.

User avatar
deltreey
Posts: 1231
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 12:05
Location: Florida

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby deltreey » Sep 28th, '16, 15:34

Delive shrugged at the monk. Does he really think I'm going to let him deliver a message to a person he didn't even know was staying here a moment ago? He'll just as likely hand this over to the enemy. "Don't worry." She said, dropping her voice to a whisper and heading for the door herself, planning to attempt to follow the map herself. "I can be quiet when I want to." She headed out but wasn't rushing. If the monk was going to try to stop her, she wasn't going to make a huge fuss yet. Yet...




User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby Dry » Sep 28th, '16, 16:03

He points at a bundle of keys on his waist, then at the eighth hour on the clock, and then simply shrugs. Seeing you moving to the door, he opens it for you, and after you step through, goes to put the ledger back into the desk drawer. He then pulls out a blank scroll and starts writing something, leaving the door to the small office ajar, should anyone wish to find him.

User avatar
deltreey
Posts: 1231
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 12:05
Location: Florida

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby deltreey » Sep 28th, '16, 17:52

Delive considered her options and went with courtesy for now, opting to avoid any more illegal actions until the sun was out.

"Fine, see that Brottor gets this unopened." She handed the monk the letter and left the temple.

Returning to her carriage she sat heavily, a bit wore out with all the silliness. She pondered a few different options and decided it was time to wake the necromancer. "To Jensen's. It's early, but let's hope his skeletons can at least take care of some sales."




Namaphry
Posts: 736
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 14:02

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby Namaphry » Sep 28th, '16, 23:46

Perception: 1d20+4 => 4, 4 => 8 (+3 if this does count as her favoured terrain.)

User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby Dry » Sep 29th, '16, 01:20

deltreey wrote:"Fine, see that Brottor gets this unopened." She handed the monk the letter and left the temple.
He takes the letter with a nod, and lays it on top of his desk, where it is clearly visible, and obvious that it won't be forgotten.

deltreey wrote:Returning to her carriage she sat heavily, a bit wore out with all the silliness. She pondered a few different options and decided it was time to wake the necromancer. "To Jensen's. It's early, but let's hope his skeletons can at least take care of some sales."

Returning to the carriage, you find your driver leaning back in his seat, gently snoring. Shaking him awake, he says, "Och, sorry lass, 'tis so quiet round 'ere I musta... so, Jensen's is it? I know that geez'r well, used to work for 'is fath'r, I did. I'll have ye know he only opens his shop ta visitors in th' afternoon. As fer his parents, well, they're 'bout as smart as a bucket 'o bolts. He don' trust trust 'em for nothin much past liftin' an' carryin', an' standin' by the door to keep kids out the workshop."

Namaphry wrote:Perception: 1d20+4 => 4, 4 => 8 (+3 if this does count as her favoured terrain.)
((A grove of trees is essentially a small forest, so sure, call that 11 total.))

Looking around, there doesn't seem to be anyone here besides yourself. You do however spot some footprints in the currently hard soil. The last time it rained was almost a week ago, and they would have been from a day or two after that. The footprints come in several sizes and meander all over the grove, though are most concentrated under the treehouse.

User avatar
deltreey
Posts: 1231
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 12:05
Location: Florida

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby deltreey » Sep 29th, '16, 08:37

Delive frowned. "Afternoon? I really can't wait that long. You sure there's no way to get him to start working at least around sunrise?" Whatever the dwarf's response, she had other plans anyway.

"For now we'll go back to the Bull and Bale. If you're up for it, I could use someone to carry some things. If not, no worries." She pulled out her lantern and began cleaning it and refilling it with oil during the trip.




User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby Dry » Sep 29th, '16, 10:22

"Well, ye know how... particular, gnomes can be, aye? Wouldn't count on 'im bein' partial to be woken up early. To the Bull again, then? Yer payin', so off we go. Speakin' o' which, it's been two hour so far, just so ye know. Keepin' track, I am. Carryin's no problem, as I said to ye, I deliver goods all o'er tha town, and deliverin' means carryin', lass."

You arrive at the Bull & Bale around half past three. The front doors aren't locked, because they don't lock, but the lights are out, except for a couple small candles on individual tables where the most hardy drinkers haven't quite stopped yet.

User avatar
deltreey
Posts: 1231
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 12:05
Location: Florida

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby deltreey » Sep 29th, '16, 10:29

Delive stepped out of the carriage and migrated her skirt into it's cloak form, planning to be going up and down ladders. She helped make sure the horses were well tied to the post and carefully emptied her pack out onto the floor of the carriage. She handed the pack to the dwarf and lit the lantern, closing the shutter to keep the light to a minimum.

"Before we go in, be aware. There are dangerous things that can hurt you if you play with them like some kind of dumb adventurer. Do not touch anything unless I tell you to. Got it?"




User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby Dry » Sep 29th, '16, 10:38

Seeing your appearance change, and the mention of danger and adventuring has an effect on him. That effect being his eyes lighting up as he thinks through the implications. "So what yer sayin' is that yer payin' extra for me ta follow an o'viously well-skilled lass like yerself inta danger, aye?"

User avatar
deltreey
Posts: 1231
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 12:05
Location: Florida

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby deltreey » Sep 29th, '16, 10:43

Delive smiled. "What I'm saying is I'm not docking your pay for sleeping on the job if you help carry some books."




User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby Dry » Sep 29th, '16, 10:51

Without needing even a second to think up a reply, he immediately says, "I wasna sleepin, no lass, I simply been conservin' ma strength an' focus for tha drivin'. So as not ta crash yer fancy carriage when I don' spot an approachin' wall or tha like." He squares himself and makes it clear he isn't about to budge. "I signed on wi' ya for drivin', and I don' mind helpin' ya wi' some carryin', but if I'm puttin' my neck on tha line for ya, I expect a bit more than simple driver's pay, is all I'm sayin'. 'specially if it's fer boooks. I know wha' they be costin', this dwarf ain' stupid ya know."

User avatar
deltreey
Posts: 1231
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 12:05
Location: Florida

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby deltreey » Sep 29th, '16, 11:13

Delive rolled her eyes. She could take all sorts of ugly paths toward this end, and she could have simply lied to the idiot, but she was trying to be nice. In return, she got a crybaby money grubber.

"Fine. Send your bill to the King. I didn't sign up for this either." She said, heading inside. The driver could choose to interpret that however he liked. If he thought it meant that she wasn't going to pay him at all for the night, that was just fine with her. If it meant he could bill whatever he wanted for this extra time, but had to deal with royal paperwork to do so, that was fine too. She was not in the mood to play patty-cake with yet another overpaid imbecile. There goes your chances at being my driver for the rest of the month.

Regardless of whether the dwarf followed, she headed down to the basement and looked around to see what had been taken care of by the guards, and what was still left to do.




User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby Dry » Sep 29th, '16, 12:17

"King? Ya think yer special do ya? Well, I have a deal agreed with ya, wi'ness an' all, and I'll see it through until ya tell me we're finished and pay me tha coin owed. Extra work will cos' extra, I was hired simply to drive tha carriage." says the dwarf, and is clearly not about to follow you.

Heading inside, a few of the patrons grumble at you as you walk past them with a torch. The elf is simply watching, arms crossed. "Back again? Going to jump down there now? Don't break a leg will you, that's all I need in the middle of the night, is some crazy girl getting hurt on my watch. Wouldn't that just be my luck?"

He pops open the flap for you, and you start to climb down, except that where you were expecting to put your foot onto the ladder, you meet only air. Roll a dexterity saving throw.

User avatar
deltreey
Posts: 1231
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 12:05
Location: Florida

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby deltreey » Sep 29th, '16, 12:46

Dex Save: 1d20+5 => 5, 5 => 10




User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby Dry » Sep 29th, '16, 12:48

You slip down into the hatchway, but manage to just spread your elbows and catch yourself on the opening. You can lower yourself down from there, or climb back out, with a bit of time and a little effort.

User avatar
deltreey
Posts: 1231
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 12:05
Location: Florida

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby deltreey » Sep 29th, '16, 12:55

Delive gasped at the momentary fright, but it was just that, momentary. Catching by her elbows was a lucky break, meaning she didn't destroy her lantern. Given that, rather than risking further damage to herself or her things, she let out a sigh and dropped the rest of the way.

Once down, she opened up the shutter to see and began looking into how things were.




User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby Dry » Sep 29th, '16, 13:04

The cellar looks like it's been cleaned up quite efficiently. Looking around, there are no traces that anything besides normal pub-cellar activity had taken place. The skull is gone, as are the blinkats, though you were expecting as much, given there'd been someone there specifically for them.

The illusory gap in the wall is still in place just as before. Barrels stacked by that wall have been rearranged so as to not call any special attention to it. Basically, if you didn't know what you were looking for, you'd be none the wiser as to what had gone on half a day ago.

User avatar
deltreey
Posts: 1231
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 12:05
Location: Florida

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby deltreey » Sep 29th, '16, 13:30

Delive headed in, checking first to see if her ball bearings had been cleared. If not, she collected them into the pack. Further in, she checked to see how much of the study had been emptied as well, and if the blinkat kennels had been taken.

Her first priority would be to collect up any books left behind, then to dismantle the desk and bookshelf. All of these things would have to be carried out to the carriage as well as the map on the wall. Given the lack of a ladder, she'd use the rear entrance to get in and out of the cellar. Following that, she'd collect up the rest of the crystal dust. Finally, she paced each room and hallway out, memorizing the number of footsteps it took to get around so that she could do it if she didn't have light in the future. Then she headed back to the carriage to prepare for the next part of her eve--morning.

Pausing here for the DM to articulate what was collected and anything that had changed.




User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby Dry » Sep 29th, '16, 13:43

The ball bearings have been shoved to the sides of the passage, leaving the middle clear, but no effort had been made to collect them. Making your way down to the study, you see the kennels are where they were, and taking a closer look at them you can see they've been bolted into the wall, so moving them would not have been trivial.

The study itself is more or less as you left it, though all of the books have been removed. The map has migrated from the wall to the bed, whose straw is mostly scattered across the floor.

The desk appears to be entirely missing the block of drawers that hadn't been a part of its crude design.


OOC: The map is yours for the taking. How do you intend to dismantle the empty furniture? Also, I'd been assuming you'd taken all of the crystal dust anyway, as there'd only been 4 small piles of it, so it wouldn't have been hard to collect at the time.

Namaphry
Posts: 736
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 14:02

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby Namaphry » Sep 29th, '16, 13:43

Nayveen still has time, so she'll climb up to take a look at the tree house, and piece together who generally uses it, for what.

User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby Dry » Sep 29th, '16, 13:48

The treehouse is a good 20 feet up with no ladder or other way to get to it evident. Roll an acrobatics or athletics check for climbing the tree.

User avatar
deltreey
Posts: 1231
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 12:05
Location: Florida

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby deltreey » Sep 29th, '16, 13:49

Pulling out the various tools she always carried to disarm traps, including her crowbar and collective thieves' tools, Delive made quick work of dismantling the furniture, like someone who'd spent years mastering the art of taking things apart in a hurry, often when they were about to pour boiling hot oil on her.

Seriously DM?




Namaphry
Posts: 736
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 14:02

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby Namaphry » Sep 29th, '16, 14:07

Athletics: 1d20+3 => 1, 3 => 4 Nayveen seems to be getting too old for this.

User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby Dry » Sep 29th, '16, 14:11

deltreey wrote:She handed the pack to the dwarf and lit the lantern, closing the shutter to keep the light to a minimum.
deltreey wrote:Regardless of whether the dwarf followed, she headed down to the basement...
Dry wrote:How do you intend to dismantle the empty furniture?
deltreey wrote:Pulling out the various tools she always carried to disarm traps, including her crowbar...
You can see why I was confused. We'll say you have a crowbar with you in a side pocket, then.

Okay, it takes a bit of time but you're very determined and not being rushed by anyone in particular, so you'll manage to dismantle and carry out the furniture just fine. Roll a strength check to see how well you manage to do this, i.e. how quickly you get it done.

Namaphry wrote:Athletics: 1d20+3 => 1, 3 => 4
The tree has had all of its lower branches cleared away, probably as part of the construction of the treehouse. You try to just climb up, but there's no obvious way to do so directly, short of using your pitons, which will damage the tree.

User avatar
deltreey
Posts: 1231
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 12:05
Location: Florida

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby deltreey » Sep 29th, '16, 14:14

Strength Check: 1d20+1 => 19, 1 => 20
at disadvantage: 1d20+1 => 14, 1 => 15




Namaphry
Posts: 736
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 14:02

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby Namaphry » Sep 29th, '16, 14:21

Nayveen decides to leave it alone. She'll simply rest and wait.

User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby Dry » Sep 29th, '16, 14:30

Delive, it's going to take you about 2 hours to pry everything apart and carry all of the pieces out through all the corridors and staircases and out to the back entrance of the Bull & Bale. If you want to have a word with your dwarven hireling on your first trip back, now that you've seen the coast to be clear, that will cut the time in half, as there are twice as many of you on task, assuming you are able to persuade him to come along. I'm assuming you'll be speaking to him anyway, in order to have him drive the carriage over to the back entrance, so that gives you the opportunity for that.


Nayveen, since you're keeping an eye out for anyone approaching from all directions, you would see, at the time when the sky is just starting to lighten, but still perhaps a half hour before sunrise, a couple lights come on in the house, in what you'd remember as being the area where the kitchen was located There is some movement visible past the window, though it's a good two hundred yards away so you can't pick out any specific details.

Namaphry
Posts: 736
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 14:02

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby Namaphry » Sep 29th, '16, 14:38

Nayveen isn't too interested in snooping on her cousins--or whoever it is--but, hopefully the smell of bread won't distract her too much.

User avatar
deltreey
Posts: 1231
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 12:05
Location: Florida

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby deltreey » Sep 29th, '16, 14:45

Delive, seeking the opportunity to either make a friend or an enemy, decided to converse with the dwarf as she had him pull around to the back side of the Bull & Bale.

"Dishonesty in affairs of business and state" She said, trying to find the words to express her feelings on the matter. "I am generally a cautious person, so I will always forewarn people not to touch things until I deem them safe. I was trying to be nice." She smiled, collecting the pack to help carry things.

"You, on the other hand, lied about sleeping." Delive wagged a finger at the dwarf. "And this is an affair of both business and state since it's research I've been asked to do by Olaf." She pointed back at the bar. "The guards from earlier seem to have cleared out everything I would consider even having the potential of being dangerous. So what do you say? Do you want to help or not?"

Normally she would be more subtle--more gentle with her arguments when trying to persuade, but this dwarf was gruff, and had no problem threatening people's lives to move a carriage along the street, something she respected even if it wasn't what she wanted in a driver.




User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby Dry » Sep 29th, '16, 14:50

Delive, roll a persuasion check.

User avatar
deltreey
Posts: 1231
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 12:05
Location: Florida

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby deltreey » Sep 29th, '16, 14:52

Persuasion check: 1d20+8 => 12, 8 => 20
at disadvantage: 1d20+8 => 14, 8 => 22




User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby Dry » Sep 29th, '16, 14:57

"Well, I suppose ya've got me there. If ye swear on yer honour that there ain' nothin' gon' jump out at me, I'll help ya wi' the carryin' as I said earlier." He hops off the carriage to follow you inside.
He doesn't seem overly upset at the prospect either. Rather, you get the feeling that for him, this whole concept of trying to take an extra inch every single step of the way is just the way he lives his life.

You'll finish up piling the bits of furniture into your carriage around 5am.


Nayveen, the about 15 minutes after the work in the kitchen started, you notice two figures on horseback approaching from the south-east, as if they'd been following the main road into the city before leaving it to reach the grove of trees. The horses are trotting along at a casual pace, not in any kind of hurry. The relatively slender shape of the riders suggests elves, but they're too far as yet for you to be certain.

User avatar
deltreey
Posts: 1231
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 12:05
Location: Florida

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby deltreey » Sep 29th, '16, 15:06

Delive nodded, wiping away the sweat and taking a moment to admire her work. Rather than tring to sit with all the clutter in her carriage, she held onto the door and stood on the step.

"To the barracks. I'll be dumping the lot of this on what has to be the worst mage I've ever seen." Either that, or he's the bad guy in all of this. Delive pondered as they left the bar behind.




User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby Dry » Sep 29th, '16, 15:13

"If ya want lass, there's room up 'ere fer two" offers the dwarf, as he shifts a little to the side on the driver's bench, before he sets the carriage off towards the barracks.

Brottor and Rang, you should both be waking up around this time (unless you're really long sleepers) though you'll still have about another hour of downtime activity before you complete your long rest for the night.

User avatar
deltreey
Posts: 1231
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 12:05
Location: Florida

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby deltreey » Sep 29th, '16, 15:20

Delive shook her head at the offer of a seat. "As you can imagine, I'm struggling to stay awake too." Was all that she replied.

Upon arrival at the barracks she instructed the dwarf to start offloading the wood into an organized pile so that they could carry it in.

She went in and straight to the quartermaster. "I don't know where the vizier's office is." She said, acting a bit embarrassed. "Could you give me directions? And is he in yet?" She said, browsing the wares. "Also, I need 10 foot of ribbon, blue and black if you have it. If you don't any color will do. If you don't have ribbon, I'll settle for colored string."
Last edited by deltreey on Sep 29th, '16, 15:29, edited 1 time in total.




Namaphry
Posts: 736
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 14:02

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby Namaphry » Sep 29th, '16, 15:22

Riders... Nayveen regretted not bringing her own mount, but at least there were only two of them. She might be able to handle two, if they were trouble. She aimed to stay hidden, while waiting for them to reveal their intentions.

User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby Dry » Sep 29th, '16, 15:24

Nayveen, roll a stealth check.


User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby Dry » Sep 29th, '16, 16:03

deltreey wrote:She went in and straight to the quartermaster. "I don't know where the vizier's office is." She said, acting a bit embarrassed. "Could you give me directions? And is he in yet?" She said, browsing the wares. "Also, I need 10 foot of ribbon, blue and black if you have it. If you don't any color will do. If you don't have ribbon, I'll settle for colored string."


Before you get to the quartermaster, you're intercepted by one of the apprentices carrying a tray of steaming tin mugs; he holds it out to you, saying, "You look like you could use a little pick-me-up, if you don't mind me saying, miss." The smell coming off the mugs can only be described as military-grade tea, and is enough to perk you up without taking a mug. He hurries along after you decline one, saying "Just stop into the canteen if you change your mind. Breakfast in an hour."

The quartermaster is a pale-skinned elf with hair so black it's practically blue. He has a rather slow, precise manner of speaking, as though every word is carefully considered. "Ribbon, as one might use to secure a rolled document? Blue is available, black is not. The price is 3 copper per foot." He goes to fetch it, and carefully measures out 10 feet against a set of notches on the edge of the counter.

"The vizier is not expected until the ninth hour of the morning. Until then, he will be at his private residence. If there is an urgent matter which requires his attention, see the duty sergeant in the infirmary, who can contact him at all hours. Is there anything else I can help you with?"

Namaphry wrote:She aimed to stay hidden, while waiting for them to reveal their intentions.
Stealth: 1d20+5 => 2, 5 => 7

Due to the grove being so well-maintained and the trees carefully spaced, there isn't really anywhere to hide, short of standing sideways behind a tree and hoping you don't get spotted, or crouching down behind the stacked wood. You consider this for a moment but realise that would just look really stupid, so instead you opt to casually lean against one of the trees and wait for the riders to approach. As they get closer, you can see that they are wearing very minimal, natural-coloured clothing, and have no weapons visible. As they get closer, are able to confirm that they are both wood elves, and the lead rider is likely the same person from the market. He holds up a hand in greeting.

User avatar
deltreey
Posts: 1231
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 12:05
Location: Florida

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby deltreey » Sep 29th, '16, 16:08

She nodded at the man. "I need to drop some stuff off for him, and it really should be left at his office if possible."




Namaphry
Posts: 736
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 14:02

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby Namaphry » Sep 29th, '16, 16:08

Nayveen returns the gesture, nonchalantly. She asks her contact, "Who is this... and who are you, for that matter?"

User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby Dry » Sep 29th, '16, 16:17

deltreey wrote:She nodded at the man. "I need to drop some stuff off for him, and it really should be left at his office if possible."

"He does not have an office here. If it's something small, you can leave it in the papers room next to the armoury. If it's something large, we have a storage facility just up the road. If you need a hand moving heavy goods, the morning shift will be arriving in an hour."

Namaphry wrote:Nayveen returns the gesture, nonchalantly. She asks her contact, "Who is this... and who are you, for that matter?"

"I am Tiriaq, and this is Rayen. It is good that you have come. What is your name, wanderer?" They both dismount their horses, who head off towards some grass at the edge of the trees. You notice that they've been riding bareback, no saddle or even bridle.

User avatar
deltreey
Posts: 1231
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 12:05
Location: Florida

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby deltreey » Sep 29th, '16, 16:21

Delive sighed. "His residence then? Where is it?" She said, paying for the ribbon.




Namaphry
Posts: 736
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 14:02

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby Namaphry » Sep 29th, '16, 16:21

"Nayveen." They didn't tell her much, so she didn't tell them much, either. She closely watched them and their horses. "When you left, I was still unclear about your intentions."

User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby Dry » Sep 29th, '16, 16:42

deltreey wrote:Delive sighed. "His residence then? Where is it?" She said, paying for the ribbon.

The elf shrugs, "Nobody really knows. Rumour has it he lives in another dimension entirely. He's quite peculiar, you know. He casts a sphere of darkness, then teleports from inside it. Paranoid, you could say. Usually returns via the receiving pad by the infirmary. It's common knowledge, though you're clearly new here, so you wouldn't have known." His tone is entirely flat, his face expressionless. It's impossible to tell if he's being serious, or pulling your leg.

Namaphry wrote:"Nayveen." They didn't tell her much, so she didn't tell them much, either. She closely watched them and their horses. "When you left, I was still unclear about your intentions."

He looks to the twig tucked into your belt, before proceeding. "We are merely children of Melandru." They hold up their hands, and show that they have no Katan marks on them at all. "I saw you in the market, the way you acted with those children. It's obvious you aren't from around here. You don't fit in, in the city, in this society." His eyes once more dart to the Twig. "Yet, you are accepted. And so, you are the type of person I've been looking for. So, I took a chance, and here we are. Will you help us?"

Rayen, in the mean time, is looking up at the treehouse, and at the nearby trees, as if trying to figure out the best way to climb up.

User avatar
deltreey
Posts: 1231
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 12:05
Location: Florida

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby deltreey » Sep 29th, '16, 16:46

Delive raised an eyebrow looking at the quartermaster. "And how does he travel around town? Does he have a particular horse or carriage he prefers?"




Namaphry
Posts: 736
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 14:02

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby Namaphry » Sep 29th, '16, 16:47

Nayveen nods her head, tilting it from side-to-side. "Why not? You seem to be describing the reason I'm here in the first place." She glances down to the Twig, and makes a note that she's noticed the glances.

User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby Dry » Sep 29th, '16, 16:56

deltreey wrote:Delive raised an eyebrow looking at the quartermaster. "And how does he travel around town? Does he have a particular horse or carriage he prefers?"

"I'm sorry miss, but I don't make it my business to follow the Council members around all day. Perhaps his assistant Nathaniel might be able to tell you more? You can typically find him in the archives, digging through some ancient tome or other. Not at this time of morning, naturally."

User avatar
deltreey
Posts: 1231
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 12:05
Location: Florida

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby deltreey » Sep 29th, '16, 17:04

Delive nods. "The infirmary then. He'll be sure to get it if I leave it there." She said, heading out to her carriage.

Working with the dwarf, she carried the wood from the furniture to the infirmary. She also grabbed the book that had been leather-bound and brought it as well. Notifying any workers in the infirmary. "This is for the Vizier when he arrives." When there was only 3 or 4 trips left, she went to go write another letter.



She then went to the infirmary, sandwiched the book inside of a massive cluster of wood scraps, tied it with the ribbon and a big bow in which she slid the letter.
Last edited by deltreey on Sep 29th, '16, 17:39, edited 1 time in total.




User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby Dry » Sep 29th, '16, 17:08

Namaphry wrote:Nayveen nods her head, tilting it from side-to-side. "Why not? You seem to be describing the reason I'm here in the first place." She glances down to the Twig, and makes a note that she's noticed the glances.

"You were very brave, facing up to that mage, to acquire the Twig of Destination. It is a useful tool indeed; I only know of seventy such specimens in existence." He gives it another long look, and it's clear that he's quite envious of it. With a sigh, he proceeds, "There has been trouble, as of late. Little things. The birds fly different routes. The forest animals walk different paths. It is troubling. They won't tell us why, either. It is most troubling. We ask only that you keep your eyes open. Perhaps you will discover something. We don't know what the root of the problem is, so we don't know where to start searching. If you hear anything, leave word with Oliver. He is a performer, and is normally found in the Queen's park, by the central statue. He is trusted."

While Tiriaq has been saying this, Rayen took a running start and ran a good twenty feet up the tree nearest the one holding the treehouse, clambering onto one of its thicker branches. From there she was able to climb up and across to it, and disappeared inside it.

deltreey wrote:Working with the dwarf, she carried the wood from the furniture to the infirmary. She also grabbed the book that had been leather-bound and brought it as well. Notifying any workers in the infirmary. "This is for the Vizier when he arrives."

The duty sergeant, a rather pudgy doctor, rather than objecting, found the whole thing quite hilarious, and even helped move a couple of the unoccupied beds out of the way to make space for your "pile of firewood" as he described it.

User avatar
deltreey
Posts: 1231
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 12:05
Location: Florida

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby deltreey » Sep 29th, '16, 17:47

Thanking the doctor, Delive headed back out to her carriage. She counted on her fingers, checking off tasks for the evening. "Let's see, messages written and delivered, basement cleared and delivered, appointment kept, 2 drivers tested, Jensen's unavailable, breakfast in an hour--oh, do you want some?" She interrupted herself to offer the dwarf the chance to partake in whatever free breakfast would be served at the barracks. "--mage, I need a mage crafts shop. Know of a good one?" She paused and then added "--preferably not so far that we can't make it back in time for breakfast"




Namaphry
Posts: 736
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 14:02

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby Namaphry » Sep 29th, '16, 20:47

Nayveen watches Rayen with a raised eyebrow until she vanishes, before turning back to Tiriaq. "I will. I'm on essentially the same quest already. Though, the king has taken an interest, and wishes some other wanderers--well, specialists--and myself to go seek out one of his childhood friends, to find out why the wizard doesn't want to play with him anymore. It might be some time until I can return.
"As for the Twig, I'd appreciate an explanation of how to use it, and what it can do. Adam Longname was rather vague, and I was aiming less to recover it than I was to end the spectacle surrounding it."

User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby Dry » Sep 30th, '16, 02:38

Namaphry wrote:"As for the Twig, I'd appreciate an explanation of how to use it, and what it can do. Adam Longname was rather vague, and I was aiming less to recover it than I was to end the spectacle surrounding it."

Tiriaq says "May I?" and holds out his hand. Giving him the twig, you watch him tear a small strip of fabric from the bottom of his tunic, and tie it around the middle of the twig. He then holds it by the ribbon, leaving it suspended. Rather than rotating freely, the twig seems to have a particular orientation set, somewhere to the northwest, and even when he nudges it with a finger, it spins back round to the same direction as soon as it's able to move freely again. He unties it, and hands it back. "If you cannot suspend it, floating it on water will also work."

Rayen jumps down, landing in a roll, seemingly unhurt after such a drop. She smiles at you, and whispers something very quietly into Tiriaq's ear, which seems to put him a little more at ease, too.

deltreey wrote:"Let's see, messages written and delivered, basement cleared and delivered, appointment kept, 2 drivers tested, Jensen's unavailable, breakfast in an hour--oh, do you want some?" She interrupted herself to offer the dwarf the chance to partake in whatever free breakfast would be served at the barracks. "--mage, I need a mage crafts shop. Know of a good one?" She paused and then added "--preferably not so far that we can't make it back in time for breakfast"

"I'm startin' ta understand ya now, lass. Yer not a human at all, but some upsized pixie lookin' to cause as much mischief as she can, aye? Breakfast, ye say? I prefer not'ta eat before sleepin', so it depends on how long ye intend to keep goin' fer." He pulls on his beard plaits, straightening them a little. "There's a few - only a few, mind - decent magisterin' shops 'ere an' there, though they tend to be fair specialised. What kinda crafts are ye lookin' fer? We talkin' fer house-buildin' or fer potion-brewin'?"

Namaphry
Posts: 736
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 14:02

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby Namaphry » Sep 30th, '16, 03:28

Nayveen is somewhat less than enlightened. "What does it point toward?"

User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby Dry » Sep 30th, '16, 03:31

Tiriaq shrugs. "Each one has its own destination, though usually they point to the nearest of a type of something, rather than to a single specific location. Could be gold, or oak trees, or dragons, or worthless pebbles."

Namaphry
Posts: 736
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 14:02

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby Namaphry » Sep 30th, '16, 03:53

Is there anything Nayveen can think of that's notable to the northwest? "I'll have to see it examined, then. It might not be so useful, after all... or, it might be life-saving."

User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby Dry » Sep 30th, '16, 03:56

Looking at the direction a bit more closely, you notice that it's pointing more north-northwest than west-northwest ((towards the parks zone rather than the temple zone, on the map - or it might be pointing at one of the noble houses on the way, or at something a dozen leagues past)).

User avatar
shortsinsnow
Posts: 664
Joined: Jul 20th, '16, 18:58
Location: CT, USA

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby shortsinsnow » Sep 30th, '16, 08:01

Brottor wakes to the sound of the morning bells. Had he not noticed some of his beard still singed, and his robes slightly more worn, he might have thought that all of it were just a dream and this was yesterday morning. But alas, he is not so lucky. As he stands to dress himself, he is once again confronted by his second shadow. He raised his one foot, but thinking better than to start his day by landing on his face, puts it back down.

Along with his morning ration of barley bread and tea, there is a scroll rolled up and sealed with a wax seal. Perhaps from the archdiocese? No, this is not their crest. But who, then? Breaking the seal, he finds a message which goes on about much to him that seems slightly over whelming; a code phrase? Seems a bit much. Lost time? Proxy magic? he muses, such things are quite out of my world. I hope that I will be able to fulfill my vows and protect this realm.

Then he finds that he must seek out the elf female, Nayveen. So not a letter from her...from whom then? But he must also make his way to the barracks if he is to interview for an assistant; military people require punctuality. If I see her, then it is Torm's will, he considers.
OotA: Xilvaris Castien

User avatar
deltreey
Posts: 1231
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 12:05
Location: Florida

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby deltreey » Sep 30th, '16, 09:09

Dry wrote:"What kinda crafts are ye lookin' fer? We talkin' fer house-buildin' or fer potion-brewin'?"


Delive was counting the time and knew she was wrong about how long they had. Given that the dwarf didn't want breakfast, she considered letting him go home early, but she wasn't quite ready for that yet. She liked this man, but he was not driver material. He was destined for something greater. She needed a test. She pulled out a single copper, stepping out of the carriage.

"Sadly, I don't think we'll have time to do the mage shop yet. I'm going to eat breakfast here and catch up with my assigned co-workers. Take this copper,--" As she spoke the phrase, she flipped it with her finger and thumb toward the dwarf. "Use it to come back with a piece of art work. If you can do that, I'll double your pay for today."

She smiled and pet her horses, waiting for his reply.




User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby Dry » Sep 30th, '16, 12:12

Namaphry wrote:"I'll have to see it examined, then. It might not be so useful, after all... or, it might be life-saving."

"Indeed, I wish it will be of help, rather than a useless trinket. You didn't pay too much for it, I hope?" Tiriaq says, as Rayen heads off to fetch their horses. "I am sorry that I can't give you anything more to go on, but please trust me when I say the situation is not to be taken lightly. Something is wrong with the natural balance, and frankly, that scares me. The situation is unprecedented."

deltreey wrote:She smiled and pet her horses, waiting for his reply.

"Very well, miss pixie, I'll do jes' that." says the dwarf, as he sets off with the carriage.

Heading inside, there's a short wait before breakfast is served. It's simple, functional, yet plenty satisfying, consisting of omlette, porridge, cheese, bread, apples and tomatoes, in a buffet arrangement - you may help yourself to as much or as little as you can eat. The industrial-strength tea is also on offer.

User avatar
deltreey
Posts: 1231
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 12:05
Location: Florida

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby deltreey » Sep 30th, '16, 12:19

Dry wrote:"Very well, miss pixie, I'll do jes' that." says the dwarf, as he sets off with the carriage.


"Wait!" Delive's voice was sharp as she raised her index finger before the dwarf drove off.

"Let me get my things first." Delive then carefully repacked her backpack, ensuring the protection of her new box of crystals, and cloth-wrapped magic crystal as she did so, taking her pack in with her.

As she expected breakfast to not quite be ready, she spent the rest of the time prior to the cafe opening doing her morning stretches. Then, she made sure to get a lot of caffeine in her system and enjoyed a free breakfast, seeing if she could spot Rang in the crowd.




Namaphry
Posts: 736
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 14:02

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby Namaphry » Sep 30th, '16, 12:21

"Something aside from this human kingdom?" Nayveen almost laughs. "I'm here as a member of the Growlinglance band, on behalf of the Treewind tribe. We hoped to find some way to halt their advance. You seem to know things we don't, perhaps you have some way to explain to our tribe that we're taking things too lightly. I'll see what I can see."

User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby Dry » Sep 30th, '16, 12:38

"These settlers, they are but a transitory phase. They come, and they will go. Their passing will be marked by felled woods, which will regrow, and dug quarries, which will fill with soil and become yet more forest in time. Largely it is of little consequence, and so they are not our concern. Yet when the owl refuses to hunt the field mouse, but rather sits curled up in its nest, watching the sky, then that is when we must seek answers. I hope you will have more success than we have met with so far."

Rayen walks back towards Tiriaq, the horses following behind her, seemingly of their own accord.

Namaphry
Posts: 736
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 14:02

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby Namaphry » Sep 30th, '16, 12:40

Nayveen nods, and watches them go. Once they've left, she makes an effort to replicate the stunt Rayen performed to access the treehouse.
Last edited by Namaphry on Sep 30th, '16, 13:08, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby Dry » Sep 30th, '16, 12:42

Roll athletics or acrobatics.


User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby Dry » Sep 30th, '16, 12:51

Having now seen a path upwards into the tree, you are able to follow the way up, and make it over to the treehouse.

Inside, you find some finely carved wooden toys: a couple goliath soldiers, a large wolf, several orc warriors, and a carriage with horses attached. They're laid out as if someone had been playing a game of 'guard the caravan', though a few of the standing figures have fallen over, and the whole thing looks like it was left quickly. Was a child called away to dinner? In one corner of the treehouse is a small chair, and in another is a closed chest with 'CHESTER' written across its lid.

Namaphry
Posts: 736
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 14:02

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby Namaphry » Sep 30th, '16, 12:54

Nayveen doesn't disturb the game, but she has no qualms about going to take a peek in the chest. "What kind of a name is 'Chester'?"

User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby Dry » Sep 30th, '16, 12:57

Inside the chest are various other toys - more soldiers, animals, a small house, and the like. All of them appear in relatively good condition, and while used, none are obviously broken.

Namaphry
Posts: 736
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 14:02

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby Namaphry » Sep 30th, '16, 13:03

Nayveen lets it be, and after taking in the view from the tree house, she descends with somewhat more caution than Rayen did, by lowering herself from the ledge and trying to swing to the tree to slide down. She's done with the grove, and has a building temptation to spy on the nearby properties.

User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby Dry » Sep 30th, '16, 13:40

Making your way around the perimeter fence, you come to the main gate into what you consider the former Whitewater property. You are quite surprised to find the very same name inset into the arch above the gates at the entrance. There is a small groundskeeper's hut by the gates, with a light visible, though you can avoid being seen if you don't intend to approach.

Namaphry
Posts: 736
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 14:02

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby Namaphry » Sep 30th, '16, 13:49

Nayveen decides it's not worth the trouble, and heads back into the city to find someone who can tell her more about her Twig of Destination.

User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby Dry » Sep 30th, '16, 14:44

So, at this point:

Brottor intends to arrive to the barracks punctually.
--> Going to make any stops on the way? You've got plenty of time for detours.

Delive is eating breakfast and waiting for Rang to put in an appearance.
--> lhx should be back in a couple days and we can continue this thread from there, or you can go about other business, up to you.

Nayveen is heading back into the core of the city to find "someone to tell her more about the Twig of Destination."
--> What kind of person are you looking for? Someone who runs a magic shop? A cleric at one of the nature-focused temples? Someone at the barracks? Going to try tracking down Adam of the Five Circles? Something else?

Rang is waking up at the barracks, and will be down for breakfast sooner or later.

Namaphry
Posts: 736
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 14:02

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby Namaphry » Sep 30th, '16, 17:19

Someone with a general ability to determine the properties of magical items, who provides the service for gold, was the idea. Nayveen will ask around about where Adam is now, while she's at it.

User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby Dry » Oct 1st, '16, 10:57

Nayveen, make an investigation check to see what you can find out about Adam.


User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby Dry » Oct 1st, '16, 13:41

Asking around about Adam, it gets suggested to you by one of the guards that you check in at the city administration building, as he would have had to have gotten a permit to do his performance, given that it was on the main stage in the central plaza.

In the meantime, you head over to the academic/temple district to find someone who will identify your twig.
Asking around, you get pointed towards the temple of Oghma, the Lord of Knowledge (though to call it a temple is rather a misnomer - it's essentially a giant library). Inside, you are directed to a side room, where clerics perform identification services for a donation of 10 gold pieces.

Namaphry
Posts: 736
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 14:02

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby Namaphry » Oct 1st, '16, 13:50

Nayveen pa--provides the donation, as she goes about her tasks.

User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby Dry » Oct 1st, '16, 13:59

The cleric takes a little over ten minutes to perform a ritual of identification, after which he writes out a note for you in neat handwriting, folding it in half, and in half again, before handing it over ((see PM for note contents)). Not a word is said regarding the properties of your item, presumably so as not to give out potentially valuable information to any of the other customers, of which there are but a handful present, waiting on padded benches along the opposite wall.

Namaphry
Posts: 736
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 14:02

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby Namaphry » Oct 1st, '16, 15:43

Nayveen tests the twig again, to see if it's still pointing the same way it did before--she'll get a leather thong for it, and a grip for the bone 'sword' while she's at it--then goes to the admin building to continue her investigation of Adam.

User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby Dry » Oct 1st, '16, 16:10

Suspending the Twig from a bit of wire out of your component pouch, you find that it is now pointing to the north-east from where you're currently located in the academic zone.

The leather for the thong and wrapping will cost you 15+1d20 => 15, 5 => 20 cp = 2sp, and can be picked up in any number of shops on the way.

The administration building, you are informed, is in the northwest sector of the city, about half a mile directly west of the barracks, which you will be passing by on your way to it.

1d5 => 1 => 1
1d5 => 2 => 2

You and Brottor will just barely miss intersecting each other as you go about your business in the temple district, though you may choose to seek him out, knowing that he's a follower of Torm, who has one of the more promient, if not larger, temples in the zone.

Namaphry
Posts: 736
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 14:02

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby Namaphry » Oct 2nd, '16, 10:50

Nayveen has seen and heard nothing to indicate Torm and his followers would be of any use to her, so she does not seek them out. She simply continues across the city.

User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby Dry » Oct 2nd, '16, 10:51

Are you going to be stopping in at the barracks which is directly on your route, or carrying on directly to the administration centre?


User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby Dry » Oct 2nd, '16, 13:36

Fifteen minutes after crossing the central northern lane outside the barracks, you reach the administration building - it's a large, cubic lump of marble, about two hundred feet to a side, with six storeys of high-ceilinged windows visible from the outside. Each of its four square sides has a large archway, about two carriages wide, which leads into a central courtyard. From there, you can see balconies facing the internal opening along each of the floors, with many doors leading off from them; there is a staircase in each corner of the building.

The centre of the square has a large pillar running upwards, made of black marble - a monolith or obelisk, some might call it. It draws the eye immediately, as black marble is not a material generally found in Katan. Its sides are smooth and shear, with no engraving or decoration whatsoever. Its top appears to have some kind of plant growing out of it, though it's hard to make out exactly what it is against the light morning sky. To the side of the monolith is a large directory sign, where you find "Arts & Entertainment - 507".

Making your way upstairs, you find a set of well-carved wooden doors with simply 507 inlaid in brass into them. The doors stand open, and there is a fairly large queue of people, perhaps forty, waiting to approach a ((bank-style)) counter divided into five cubicles. Many of those currently waiting are dressed as performers and/or carrying musical instruments, while a few bear other devices you have difficulty identifying. One is actively juggling knives while he waits. There is a guard at either end of the room keeping watch over the queue.

Namaphry
Posts: 736
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 14:02

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby Namaphry » Oct 3rd, '16, 01:40

Nayveen... gets in line to wait, and hopefully pick up some interesting information. She doesn't seem to have many leads or tasks to pursue, right now, looking forward.

User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby Dry » Oct 3rd, '16, 15:20

Half an hour passes and the line has moved by all of 4 people. There was a moment when all of the musicians attempted to improvise some music together, but they were asked to stop as it was rather loud and distracting to the clerks helping people fill out forms.

The juggler has alternated through burning batons, knives, balls, and at one point, apparently live ducklings which he just pulled out from his shirt, though you aren't quite sure if they're real. Nobody seems much impressed by him.

Directly in front of you are a pair of dwarves who've been arm-wrestling, on their feet, while they stand in the queue. From overhearing their general conversation you learn that they're a pair of sculptors looking to put up a statue somewhere around the city so as to advertise their proficiency.

Namaphry
Posts: 736
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 14:02

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby Namaphry » Oct 3rd, '16, 15:28

Nayveen performs some petty magic tricks with her cantrips, for the purpose of fitting in with the miserable crowd. "What are you planning to carve a statue of?" is all she has to add to the conversation.

User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby Dry » Oct 3rd, '16, 15:32

"We were thinking a tree. You know, make like, a big marble tree. Because that mixes both of Katan's main exports, see, wood and marble? And a wooden statue of a slab of marble wouldn't be so impressive, but a marble tree, now, that would be something, wouldn't it? You ever heard of a marble tree anywhere? That's right, there's no such thing, so everyone would know for sure it was the Burns brothers!" Unlike most dwarves you've met, their accent is distinctly non-dwarven, which suggests to you that they haven't been brought up in the presence of other dwarves.

Namaphry
Posts: 736
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 14:02

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby Namaphry » Oct 3rd, '16, 15:45

"That's a terrible idea," Nayveen replies bluntly. "I'd be more impressed by a marble cow. Why not carve the likeness of the king, or his captain?" There was an art to this, one that she'd never bothered to learn.

User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby Dry » Oct 3rd, '16, 15:57

"Men come and go, and in another century who'll care who some past king was? But trees, now, trees, they last forever, see?"


Return to “Tales of Katan”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest