Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby Dry » Oct 8th, '16, 11:05

As Delive is walking out of the shop, Quinn turns to Rang and says, "I regret to inform you that your wife is quite insane, mister Rang." as he continues replacing everything back to its storage containers, the inkwell last.


User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby Dry » Oct 8th, '16, 13:19

Nayveen, it takes you the rest of the morning to follow the paper trail around the various departments throughout the city administration building. However, you persist on task, and learn the following:
- The "Twig of Destiny" is recorded as a confirmed item of magical power, to be used as a reward for a contest of skill with an estimaged value of 200gp.
- For the most part, Adam's long-name is just for stage effect, a persona he wears. His true name is recorded as only "Adam of the Five Circles", though it's not specified what that might mean.
- His race is listed as half-human.
- His citizenship status, which should typically read "Citizen / Wanderer / Visitor" simply says "-------"
- There is no contact address listed, and the performance permit was only taken out for that one night.

Namaphry
Posts: 736
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 14:02

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby Namaphry » Oct 8th, '16, 13:36

A complete waste of time. Nayveen goes to get lunch at a smokehouse restaurant.

User avatar
lhx
Site Admin
Posts: 3559
Joined: Aug 6th, '15, 00:05
Location: D/FW Texas
Contact:

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby lhx » Oct 9th, '16, 14:06

Dry wrote:As Delive is walking out of the shop, Quinn turns to Rang and says, "I regret to inform you that your wife is quite insane, mister Rang." as he continues replacing everything back to its storage containers, the inkwell last.


Rang chuckles and says, "My wife? Ah yes... she's quite... fiesty. Yes, I like them fiesty. Makes up for her lack of a beard anyways. Next wife will have to be stout dwarven lady if I do say so myself."
Find me on freenode with the username lhx in #texasxtremerpg or professionally at lawjrm.com
LMoP: GM - LMoP combat tracker OotA: GM - OotA combat tracker, Inventory Tedpocalypse: Zertius, Human Cleric

User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby Dry » Oct 9th, '16, 14:39

deltreey wrote:1) Paper for fancy letters
2) Parchment for more dungeon markings
3) Magic Specific items
a) weapons that can fight magical creatures
b) lights that can counter magical darkness
c) paper that can erase itself
d) magical scrolls
e) someone who might no more about ioun stones
f) someone who can identify magic items -- one specific example being her crystal
g) someone who can identify what that shadow demon thing did to Brottor
4) invisible ink

OOC: I'm going to slightly move things along as we're really getting bogged down in minutea here

Delive & Rang, you spend the rest of the morning trawling the various shops and boutiques of the city.

- Nobody responds to you asking things in thieves' cant; you do find markings on several public buildings, though they are simply dates going back several decades ((see PM))

- You find one selling quality paper and parchment with the corners cut off at half price compared to normal sheets; otherwise the prices are within a few % of the average baseline you're used to

- Nobody has or knows anyone who stocks invisible ink / disappearing paper, though one of the two dozen or so places you visit does offer you magical journals which will self-immolate with a spoken command word for a mere 220 gold pieces

- To have items identified, and for inquiries as to the properties of magic in general, the easiest option is to head to the academic zone, and visit the temple to Oghma, god of knowledge, or one of the more domain-specific dieties

- Nobody is selling magical weapons, though a few say they can look into getting some ordered to your specifications for a hefty deposit, for which you don't have sufficient gold with you. You can however have weapons silvered for around a hundred gold, which is known to make them more effective against many varieties of magical creature

- Scrolls for spells of up to third level may be commissioned with relative ease, though they're not overly cheap. ((L1=60gp, L2=120gp, L3=200gp, as a baseline, though there will be variations depending on the spell, plus any required materials for that spell. not all spells available)). Various basic potions and other trinkets are also available in similar price ranges

- You do encounter, in what might only be described as a shack wedged between two buildings, a man named Jack, who others call Crazy Jack, who offers to give you a magical weapon in exchange for another magical item of similar value

User avatar
lhx
Site Admin
Posts: 3559
Joined: Aug 6th, '15, 00:05
Location: D/FW Texas
Contact:

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby lhx » Oct 9th, '16, 17:31

Rang is along for the ride. Let's get to the story! :shock: 8-) :mrgreen:
Find me on freenode with the username lhx in #texasxtremerpg or professionally at lawjrm.com
LMoP: GM - LMoP combat tracker OotA: GM - OotA combat tracker, Inventory Tedpocalypse: Zertius, Human Cleric

User avatar
deltreey
Posts: 1231
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 12:05
Location: Florida

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby deltreey » Oct 10th, '16, 09:06

Thanks for speeding things along. I like meeting the NPCs, but this is much faster.

Dry wrote:
deltreey wrote:- Nobody responds to you asking things in thieves' cant; you do find markings on several public buildings, though they are simply dates going back several decades ((see PM))

- You find one selling quality paper and parchment with the corners cut off at half price compared to normal sheets; otherwise the prices are within a few % of the average baseline you're used to

- Nobody has or knows anyone who stocks invisible ink / disappearing paper, though one of the two dozen or so places you visit does offer you magical journals which will self-immolate with a spoken command word for a mere 220 gold pieces

- To have items identified, and for inquiries as to the properties of magic in general, the easiest option is to head to the academic zone, and visit the temple to Oghma, god of knowledge, or one of the more domain-specific dieties

- Nobody is selling magical weapons, though a few say they can look into getting some ordered to your specifications for a hefty deposit, for which you don't have sufficient gold with you. You can however have weapons silvered for around a hundred gold, which is known to make them more effective against many varieties of magical creature

- Scrolls for spells of up to third level may be commissioned with relative ease, though they're not overly cheap. ((L1=60gp, L2=120gp, L3=200gp, as a baseline, though there will be variations depending on the spell, plus any required materials for that spell. not all spells available)). Various basic potions and other trinkets are also available in similar price ranges

- You do encounter, in what might only be described as a shack wedged between two buildings, a man named Jack, who others call Crazy Jack, who offers to give you a magical weapon in exchange for another magical item of similar value


5cp * 200 = 10gp on cheap parchment
2sp * 50 = 10gp on fancy paper (not the cheap kind
10gp * 1 = 10gp for a bottle of ink

LOL @ spontaneous combustion books

Making some purchases, Delive was able to restock from the paper and ink she'd used and prepare for the next search. Then it was time to head to Jensen's.

User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby Dry » Oct 10th, '16, 14:41

Current status:

~10.30am:

Brottor: As above, you're at the barracks, it's half past ten, and they're waiting for you to ask your potential apprentices some questions to pick the one most suitable.

~12.30pm:

Delive & Rang: You make it to Jensen's without issue, and just catch one of the skeletons flipping the sign on his door to 'open' as you pull up.

Nayveen: Following a succulent smell, you find a restaurant where a boar is being roasted on a spit in their forecourt, The Silver Pitcher, and ask for a table in the [front/middle/corner]. You order a...

User avatar
shortsinsnow
Posts: 664
Joined: Jul 20th, '16, 18:58
Location: CT, USA

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby shortsinsnow » Oct 10th, '16, 15:01

Dry wrote:"This cleric, Brottor, was one of those responsible for defending the King in yesterday's attack. He has requested an assistant, and one of you will be lucky enough to be chosen. You will be in his service for an hour every day until midwinter; this will replace your craftsman training. You will be... actually, cleric Brottor will now ask you some questions to see which of you best meets his requirements."


"Yes, thank you. I have served the king and kingdom of Katan as I would any other, but I serve Torm above all others. Now it seems that I have a chance. to be served so that these old bones have more time for thinking, and spend less time rushing around. Tell me..." he says, pointing at an individual at random. "Your commanding officer has given you instructions to deliver a message to the King himself, a message of national security, and tells you to head there directly. As you travel the streets, you see a woman being attacked by some brute of a man. What would you do?"

He asks two others this same question, and as they respond, he nods his head as if in thought. "The help I require must have an understanding. The work we will do is for the good of this country, but there is no country without it's people. I may send you on a dire task, but even my word is not above the importance of the greater good. I need someone who can think on their own, not just a mindless yes-man. Any who understand and believe in my words, I'll have you step forward. The rest of you may go back to your training."
OotA: Xilvaris Castien

User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby Dry » Oct 10th, '16, 15:09

The first one says, "I'd see if there's anyone nearby I can send to help her while I deliver the message." Another says "Orders are orders, and if it's for the good of the nation, I'd make sure to get the message delivered as quickly as I can, though if I see any guards on the way I'd be sure to direct them her way." A third, a cocky lad, flips a dagger up and says "I'd see to her quick, wouldn't hardly slow me down."

As you ask for those who think on their feet and aren't yes-men to step forward, you see 1d25-1 => 25, -1 => 24 all 24 of the apprentices take a step up, nearly in sync.

User avatar
deltreey
Posts: 1231
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 12:05
Location: Florida

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby deltreey » Oct 10th, '16, 18:07

Delive pointed to the skeleton turning the sign for Rang's benefit. "Finally..." Heading in she resumed her typical noble smile and began in her friendliest possible manner.

"Jensen, you sly sonofabitch--" She said, through nearly gritted teeth. "How did your lock protect us from that creature's magic?"




User avatar
lhx
Site Admin
Posts: 3559
Joined: Aug 6th, '15, 00:05
Location: D/FW Texas
Contact:

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby lhx » Oct 10th, '16, 20:31

Rang hops down and ties off the carriage to something sturdy, and follows Delive.
Find me on freenode with the username lhx in #texasxtremerpg or professionally at lawjrm.com
LMoP: GM - LMoP combat tracker OotA: GM - OotA combat tracker, Inventory Tedpocalypse: Zertius, Human Cleric

Namaphry
Posts: 736
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 14:02

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby Namaphry » Oct 10th, '16, 22:16

Nayveen opts for a table in front, and orders smoked meat and fried vegetables, with a salad and cider. She has enough information to fish for that it's hard to be specific, but at least it's easy to avoid asking too many questions about just one topic. Aside from the tournament, her other interests include the king's officers, the order of succession, matters of justice and how order is maintained in instances of poor conduct. She also seeks knowledge of other notable individuals and wealthy families, the Whitewaters included (if they still count.) She seems to have all day for this, at the moment.

User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby Dry » Oct 11th, '16, 01:38

Saluet looks at you and in response to your greeting says, "Oh, it's you. Again." He sighs, looks at some small mechanical device hanging on a wall, and mumbles something about it being too early. "You're starting your story at the end and asking me about the middle. I have no idea what you are talking about." He takes a closer look at you, and his tone softens, "Such red eyes, have you been crying, girl? Something wrong? What creature?"


Nayveen, the meal and drink is moderately priced and comes to 6sp total. The meat has some unusual herbs you aren't able to place, a rarity for you, and on asking, the waiter informs you they can be had from an old goliath who arrives to the market every day around the fifth hour of the afternoon, and always has more than she can sell in one night.

How do you intend to proceed with your investigation- through official civilian channels (which would no doubt involve looking up more records in the massive admin building), or using your new military access, or taking a more unofficial approach and asking around, e.g. speaking with Oliver?

Namaphry
Posts: 736
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 14:02

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby Namaphry » Oct 11th, '16, 03:19

Nayveen definitely desires to take a break from exploring the admin building... and still doesn't understand what she can do with her new mark. She's going to rely on good old-fashioned gumshoe work; asking questions, eavesdropping on conversations, and looking for clues that others have discarded. After a couple hours, she'll head back to the warrens of bureaucracy if she doesn't seem to be making good progress elsewhere.

User avatar
shortsinsnow
Posts: 664
Joined: Jul 20th, '16, 18:58
Location: CT, USA

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby shortsinsnow » Oct 11th, '16, 06:25

Hmm...this will be a challenge, Brottor thinks to himself. How might best we slim things down?

"Right, you're a noble lot; but not everyday will be an adventure. In all my centuries, I've gone decades without ever needin' to draw my hammer. Many days are spent nose-deep in books; other spent running around with little chance for rest. These are thankless jobs, ones that need doin' but most won't stand to do. But you who do them, would have the thanks of Torm, guardian to the realms. I do not promise glory, but when you're done and you lay your head down at night, you'll know that you've done good work."

He stops for a moment to allow this to sink in, then says "Are there any questions?"
OotA: Xilvaris Castien




User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby Dry » Oct 11th, '16, 11:28

One of the sergeants steps up and suggests, "Perhaps if you were to give some specific criteria, master dwarf... spoken languages, areas of study, anything which will be crucial to them performing the tasks you will set them. They're all capable, there's no question of that, and willing, as you can see," he sweeps his hand around the room, "but everyone has different backgrounds and areas of specialisation."

User avatar
shortsinsnow
Posts: 664
Joined: Jul 20th, '16, 18:58
Location: CT, USA

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby shortsinsnow » Oct 11th, '16, 12:27

"Hmm, perhaps you are right, sergeant. Forgive me, I am in undiscovered country."

Steepling his hands, he things for a moment, and says, "I need someone with understanding of the arcane and a decent historical background. Our current affairs have us looking into new forms of magic, and we believe that those involves have some ties to the founding of Katan." He nods his head. Oh, right, "Also, an affinity for cats is a plus. Anyone here know the language of the fay, perhaps? It would be a plus"
OotA: Xilvaris Castien




User avatar
deltreey
Posts: 1231
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 12:05
Location: Florida

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby deltreey » Oct 11th, '16, 13:08

Dry wrote:Saluet looks at you and in response to your greeting says, "Oh, it's you. Again." He sighs, looks at some small mechanical device hanging on a wall, and mumbles something about it being too early. "You're starting your story at the end and asking me about the middle. I have no idea what you are talking about." He takes a closer look at you, and his tone softens, "Such red eyes, have you been crying, girl? Something wrong? What creature?"


Delive pulled one of the keys that matched the lock under the Bull & Bale out from the folds of her robes (specifically from a scrollcase underneath, but the details weren't obvious to the observer), and tossed it to the locksmith.

"You know what lock I'm talking about. It was used to hold in a creature with the power to control a person's mind with magic. Now how does a simple mechanical tumbler hold that back?"

Delive's mind was racing ahead of the moment at hand. She had more stops yet to make, and she knew Rang would not likely be cooperative to her not wanting to go to the concert, besides the benefits that it could bring her, there was still so much to do.




User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby Dry » Oct 11th, '16, 14:19

Saluet furrows his brow and says, "Frankly, it shouldn't have. Can you describe this creature? What species was it?"


Brottor, as you're giving this description, several of the apprentices automatically swivel their heads to look at a half-elf on the corner of the front row. He takes another step forwards, and says, "I am Jira, master dwarf, and I can quite confidently say that among our cohort I am the most studied in arcane lore. I would be happy to assist your work." None of the others move to object to his assertion.

Jira has blonde, nearly white hair, and light hazel eyes. He has a tidy look to him, moves very precisely, and stands before you, not brashly, but with quiet confidence radiating from him.

User avatar
shortsinsnow
Posts: 664
Joined: Jul 20th, '16, 18:58
Location: CT, USA

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby shortsinsnow » Oct 11th, '16, 14:34

"Mmm, Very well, Jira. It looks like you are my...best option." He says, surprised at the sudden selection, almost made for him. Turning to the sergeant, he asks, "How does this work? Do I come here to make requests of Jira's time? Do I go directly to him or to one of his superiors?"
OotA: Xilvaris Castien




User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby Dry » Oct 11th, '16, 14:46

The sergeant checks a scroll and replies, "Your new assistant will be at your disposal after morning training every day, from a little after half past ten, until noon, when they must be back at the barracks."

User avatar
deltreey
Posts: 1231
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 12:05
Location: Florida

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby deltreey » Oct 11th, '16, 15:03

Delive was furious, but she didn't have the time to get into yet another shouting match, the bit back her anger and continued.

"The creature was in some sort of magical ward, dismantled. It was an Antaroch skull, but it's body was made of shadow, the bones reassembling at will. The point is, the mere turning of the key in your lock allowed it's mind to lash out and attack us, so now's the time to come clean on how this lock works."

She paused as she said it and looked around the shop. It was a glance to most, but it was one of those moments that time seems to stand still. She'd wanted to come here for that too. There were hopes that this conversation would be short enough that she would have time to move onto the other bit of business with Jensen. It relaxed her a bit, but didn't make it any easier to tell people things like "stop lying" and "don't act like an idiot".




User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby Dry » Oct 11th, '16, 16:18

Jensen scratches his chin, and spends a moment thinking, before replying in a very candid, serious tone, "That sounds like no ordinary creature. Not one of this plane, at any rate. My locks, you see, are mostly mechanical. Tamper-proof as best as possible, and if someone's willing to spend the extra coin, warded against arcane attempts to open them as well. But that's as far as that goes. There was something else at work here. The thing is, with such otherworldly creatures, it's possible that purely the symbolic consideration of being in a locked room was enough to suppress its powers; extraplanar magic can be funny like that. Or perhaps someone set an enchantment on the room which was controlled by the state of the lock. That's my best guesses, anyway. Impossible to say what it really was now the creature's gone; at least, I assume so, since you said it attacked you yet here you stand."

Delive and Rang, each make either an Arcana, Insight or Religion check (your choice).

User avatar
deltreey
Posts: 1231
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 12:05
Location: Florida

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby deltreey » Oct 11th, '16, 16:53

Insight: 1d20+3 => 8, 3 => 11
at disadvantage: 1d20+3 => 15, 3 => 18




User avatar
lhx
Site Admin
Posts: 3559
Joined: Aug 6th, '15, 00:05
Location: D/FW Texas
Contact:

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby lhx » Oct 11th, '16, 20:52

Insight:

1d20 => 17 => 17
Find me on freenode with the username lhx in #texasxtremerpg or professionally at lawjrm.com
LMoP: GM - LMoP combat tracker OotA: GM - OotA combat tracker, Inventory Tedpocalypse: Zertius, Human Cleric

User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby Dry » Oct 12th, '16, 04:31

As far as both of you are concerned, his explanation seems very plausible, and Jensen himself is being very earnest, candid in his appraisal of the events. Thinking about it, you do agree that symbolism can play a large role in magic - a spell usually requires a specific hand motion or command word to cast, for example, and there's no reason to doubt that it could be a factor here, whether intrinsic to the creature or applied by an external force.


Nayveen, having had a very satisfying lunch, you set out to see what you can pick up around the city. Following a casual question about fighting tournaments, you are led to a public sparring yard; wooden weapons in all varieties are available to rent for a silver piece per ten minutes, and you must rent one to gain access to the grounds. There are several people engaged in various stages of martial practice, while others are stood around waiting for challengers. The conversations being had are very energetic, with people demonstrating certain moves, laughing, and generally having a good time, but it's impossible to make out any specific details over the general noise.

User avatar
shortsinsnow
Posts: 664
Joined: Jul 20th, '16, 18:58
Location: CT, USA

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby shortsinsnow » Oct 12th, '16, 07:54

Dry wrote:The sergeant checks a scroll and replies, "Your new assistant will be at your disposal after morning training every day, from a little after half past ten, until noon, when they must be back at the barracks."


Assuming that it's still within that time range now (i.e. only a little after 10:30a), Brottor will say, "Very well, then shall we have a little test run then, Jira? How about you run over to the military archives here, and see what you can find for me about any other terrorist attacks on Katan since it's founding?" Brottor looks over to the commanding officer, following with, "Assuming you have no qualms, Sergeant? I will be at the Temple of Torm when you have something to report, I suppose. Torm's blessings on you" he says, bowing and leaving
OotA: Xilvaris Castien




User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby Dry » Oct 12th, '16, 08:50

The sergeant gives you a nod and says, "Glad I'm not the one chasing shadows" before turning to inform the other apprentices of their morning duties, most of them falling into the categories of 'equipment maintenance', 'message runner' or various other housekeeping jobs.

User avatar
deltreey
Posts: 1231
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 12:05
Location: Florida

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby deltreey » Oct 12th, '16, 08:53

Delive was so frustrated with the lies today and decided to push Jensen. He clearly knew more about magic than he was telling.

"Oh, well why didn't you say so before? Who knew that the whole world could be protected from magical creatures simply by locking their doors at night. I mean, all those mages and warded circles of death is just for decoration after all." The sarcasm in her voice was positively palpable.




User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby Dry » Oct 12th, '16, 09:06

Jensen gives you a shrug and says, "I don't claim to be an expert in such matters, but I have read something on the subject. Let me show you..." he has a think for a moment, then turns to one of the skeletons, ever in attendance, and says, "Would you fetch Mordy's book? Bottom shelf in my office." Turning back to you, he asks, "Would you like some tea?"

User avatar
deltreey
Posts: 1231
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 12:05
Location: Florida

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby deltreey » Oct 12th, '16, 09:09

Delive perked up, dropping her insulting demeanor when Jensen offered her tea.

"Actually," She said with a smile, looking around the shop. "I'd like to buy a few different locks--since we're here."




User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby Dry » Oct 12th, '16, 09:58

"Now that, I can certainly do. What sort of lock are you after? Something off the shelf," he waves his hand at the selection on the walls, "or a custom order? That will take some time though, I'm quite booked up."

User avatar
deltreey
Posts: 1231
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 12:05
Location: Florida

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby deltreey » Oct 12th, '16, 10:04

"3 or four unique locks, your latest and greatest variety. I like to keep up with security measures." She spoke while looking at the locks on the shelves. But she turned her head back toward him, the smile still lighting up her eyes to clarify. "Burdens of having money and all."




User avatar
lhx
Site Admin
Posts: 3559
Joined: Aug 6th, '15, 00:05
Location: D/FW Texas
Contact:

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby lhx » Oct 12th, '16, 10:09

Rang is bored by the locks and decides to go back out and check on the carriage.
Find me on freenode with the username lhx in #texasxtremerpg or professionally at lawjrm.com
LMoP: GM - LMoP combat tracker OotA: GM - OotA combat tracker, Inventory Tedpocalypse: Zertius, Human Cleric

User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby Dry » Oct 12th, '16, 10:10

"Latest I can do, no problem. Are you after padlocks? Chest locks? Door locks? Small, large...?" He pops a pencil behind his ear, and pulls a ledger out from below onto the countertop. "I'll need to take down your details, too."

As he's doing that, the skeleton returns with a large, heavy leatherbound tome, which it places none too gently onto the counter with a dull thud. The front cover reads "Mordecai's Manuel of Mysterios Magics" [[sic]] in red lettering, which doesn't stand out very well against the brown leather.

User avatar
deltreey
Posts: 1231
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 12:05
Location: Florida

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby deltreey » Oct 12th, '16, 12:35

"One padlock, one door lock, one chest lock, and depending on your prices I'll take a latch lock as well, for backpacks, scrollcases, and the like. Smaller is better, but don't compromise on the quality to make it smaller for me." Delive was as giddy as she had been as a little girl in shoe stores.




User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby Dry » Oct 12th, '16, 12:49

"Standard locks are 5+1d10 => 5, 6 => 11 gold each.
Premium ones, that's with dual sets of tumblers, and non-reversible keys, are 20+1d20 => 20, 9 => 29 gold pieces.
If you'd like them made of dragonforged steel that'll increase the price again, but I haven't got any currently in stock.
If you want a warded one, that'll run you to 200+1d200 => 200, 29 => 229 this month, and they are only made to order."

Turning to the book, he flips through the pages until he gets to a point describing a battle between Sant Maffuw and the Tree Devils [[sic]], and he shows you a passage where Maffuw was able to trap one of the devils inside a chest simply by locking it, as some intrinsic property of the fiendish creature meant it couldn't unseal or break out of the container. He then dropped it into a lake where it is presumed to have drowned. "Here, see. They don't follow the same rules you or I do. Though I wouldn't rely on such methods always being consistent, for there are many planes and many creatures that inhabit them. Trapping them's the real hard part."

User avatar
deltreey
Posts: 1231
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 12:05
Location: Florida

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby deltreey » Oct 12th, '16, 12:54

"The warded ones are tempting, but what's so special about dragonforged steel?"

She then shook off the feeling to look at the book. "So your argument regarding a creature trapped in a pitch black room that couldn't speak until your latch was turned is that it's purely coincidental, and even though some of your locks are warded, this one was in no way able to protect against magic?"




User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby Dry » Oct 12th, '16, 12:59

"Dragonforged steel is produced over in Stel. I don't think they use actual dragons, it's just a trade name, you know? But they definitely do something different, as it comes much harder, and hardly rusts at all. It's not easy to work with, but it makes for a sturdier construction; if your lock is holding a door liable to be physically assaulted, or which will be seeing constant, heavy use, it's a worthwhile investment. As for my wards, they protect the lock itself, sometimes the door if built in, against the standard methods of magical tampering; if you want a whole room, or building, I'm afraid that's rather out of my league."

User avatar
deltreey
Posts: 1231
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 12:05
Location: Florida

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby deltreey » Oct 12th, '16, 13:01

Delive glared at Jensen. She'd beaten around the bush long enough. "So was the lock warded or not?" She said bluntly.




User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby Dry » Oct 12th, '16, 13:05

"Oh, the warehouse doors? Let me check," he goes and fetches the ledger himself this time, and returning, flips it open and finds the entry for number 5574. Spinning it around to face you, he says, "No, purely mechanical, as you can see here." ((the writing is in gnomish))

User avatar
deltreey
Posts: 1231
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 12:05
Location: Florida

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby deltreey » Oct 12th, '16, 13:09

She nodded. This man was trustworthy enough as far as his ledgers were concerned. The rest of the party had demonstrated that. "Since it will be some time on warded locks, I'll just take one of your premium door locks for now. We can meet to discuss the others at a later date."




User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby Dry » Oct 12th, '16, 13:13

"Very well. Brass or steel, price is the same, go ahead and pick one out." He points you to where there's a few door locks on the wall. "If you'd like it installed into a door, we can set a time for that, or I can visit, if it's not too far. That'll cost extra though. I'll need your full name and the address where it's going for my records."

User avatar
deltreey
Posts: 1231
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 12:05
Location: Florida

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby deltreey » Oct 12th, '16, 13:47

Delive picked out a steel lock from the shelves that looked particularly challenging to crack, then went over and thanked Jensen and paid him.

"My name is Delive Arimey, and I'm a wanderer, so I don't have an address." She smiled and gave a curtsy, allowing him time to respond before leaving.




User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby Dry » Oct 12th, '16, 13:56

Jensen notes down the number, 12170, and says, "I'll just note down the barracks as a point of contact, as you've been working with them. Have a nice day, miss Arimey."

Outside you find Rang having readied the carriage, waiting for you.

User avatar
deltreey
Posts: 1231
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 12:05
Location: Florida

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby deltreey » Oct 12th, '16, 14:31

Heading out, Delive put the lock in the carriage for later. Then she turned to Rang.

"Bad news became worse news. Did you want to go get something to eat? You can pick the restaurant." It was lunchtime after all, and she had dragged poor Rang around on a shopping spree all morning.

Heading for somewhere to eat, Delive continued explaining to Rang.

"The parade yesterday was when I figured it out. He was speaking that way in front of everyone, loudly. I think he was giving instructions, but it was stopped prematurely with the attack."




Namaphry
Posts: 736
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 14:02

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby Namaphry » Oct 12th, '16, 14:37

Nayveen makes the rental, and goes to find out what the fuss is all about. She didn't consider herself very good with swords, but it wasn't a major point of interest for her, so it didn't matter who found out. She also figured that humans were generally worse, besides that.

User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby Dry » Oct 12th, '16, 14:43

Noone pays you much mind, but you get several offers to spar and show your stuff. It's pretty clear you won't get anywhere otherwise, so you agree to a short bout with a heavy, slow-looking man holding a wooden battle-axe.

Make 5 attack rolls using your normal bonuses for that type of weapon.

Namaphry
Posts: 736
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 14:02

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby Namaphry » Oct 12th, '16, 14:44

Attack rolls:
1d20+5 => 11, 5 => 16
1d20+5 => 13, 5 => 18
1d20+5 => 6, 5 => 11
1d20+5 => 16, 5 => 21
1d20+5 => 15, 5 => 20

User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby Dry » Oct 12th, '16, 15:00

Opponent's rolls:
1d20+4 => 11, 4 => 15
1d20+4 => 13, 4 => 17
1d20+4 => 7, 4 => 11
1d20+4 => 17, 4 => 21
1d20+4 => 13, 4 => 17

Your superior training and experience quickly shows through, and the bout ends with a score of 4 hits landed by you, versus only one by him. You've definitely caught the attention of the others, and they gather around you, shouting praise, asking, "That was awesome! Are you also just back from the tournament, like Pierce over there? Shame him getting knocked out in the prelims, he could have won if he had a weaker opponent..." the assembled group laughs at this apparent joke.

You look over towards the one named as Pierce, and see a huge brass-coloured dragonborn, nearly seven feet tall, literally flipping a dwarf into the air and onto his back with a precise maneuvre using a heavy quarterstaff.

Namaphry
Posts: 736
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 14:02

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby Namaphry » Oct 12th, '16, 15:06

Nayveen twirls the wooden sword, though she's not in much mood for a show at the moment. "No, I haven't seen any, yet. In fact, I've heard little of any tournaments. Is this the one in Helix?" She makes a mental note to avoid fighting Pierce.

User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby Dry » Oct 12th, '16, 15:19

"Yea, those elves are real pricks, you know, gotta try to steal the limelight and all that, so they have a fighting tournament every couple years, right in the month leading up to the King's birthday." Realising what he's just said, he immediately adds, "I don't mean you, you know. It's them Helix elves, think they're better than everyone else. Finals are the day before the actual King's birthday, so the ambassador can be there and then here for the main party. Unbelievable, right?" There are various 'yeahs' and nods from the group. "Still though, the prizes are always these amazing enchanted weapons, so there's always a good number of contestants, even for the relatively small crowd."

Namaphry
Posts: 736
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 14:02

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby Namaphry » Oct 12th, '16, 15:33

"Sounds entertaining, though I suspect I'm not quite in their league. It seems like it might be harder for us to make that trip in one day, anyway. What other sorts of competitions do they have, besides swinging sticks at each other?"

User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby Dry » Oct 12th, '16, 15:41

"Oh, no, not with them, it's not sticks. The Helix tournament's full-on proper combat. You bring your best, and try not to die, or lose an arm. Weapons, spells, whatever you have, you do it. It's heavy stuff, no half-measures. And yea, it is pretty far, take the best part of a week on foot. Still, you've missed entry to the brackets in any case, so you'll have to wait til '65 to try your luck."


Rang, while you've been waiting for Delive, make another arcana check to see if you have any more luck with figuring out how to shift your mark.

Namaphry
Posts: 736
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 14:02

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby Namaphry » Oct 12th, '16, 15:49

"Fair enough, I've found magic weapons tend to attract trouble, anyway." That meant Adam of the Five Circles wasn't competing, though she could only guess he'd be performing again. "I've never been to Helix, in all my years. Are there other attractions there, besides these tournaments?"

User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby Dry » Oct 12th, '16, 15:53

"Bunch of academies, that's about it really. They do research on magic there, well out the way of anyone much who might be hurt if it goes wrong. Rumour has it they exploded the top off one of the mountains by accident once, but I can't see that happening." He leans in and in a dramaticly conspiratorial tone, says, "The way I figure, they host the tournament to watch how people fight, so they can learn from it. It's all just one big experiment to them."


Brottor, about a half hour after you reach the temple, Jira finds you. "I wasn't sure quite how you wanted it formatted, master dwarf... speaking of which, what would you prefer me to call you?" He hands you a folded piece of parchment. "I started at he start. These are from the first five years, mostly just fighting with the forest folk. Pretty troubled times, it was back then." The parchment is filled with three dozen section, volume and page numbers from the military archives.

User avatar
lhx
Site Admin
Posts: 3559
Joined: Aug 6th, '15, 00:05
Location: D/FW Texas
Contact:

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby lhx » Oct 12th, '16, 17:06

Rang says, "Who was talking loudly? And what went worse? I really wish you'd just say what you're thinking instead of this riddle non sense. As to food, I would prefer someplace where we could sit outside and take in the city. I'm not used to these places and I enjoy the sights."
Find me on freenode with the username lhx in #texasxtremerpg or professionally at lawjrm.com
LMoP: GM - LMoP combat tracker OotA: GM - OotA combat tracker, Inventory Tedpocalypse: Zertius, Human Cleric

User avatar
lhx
Site Admin
Posts: 3559
Joined: Aug 6th, '15, 00:05
Location: D/FW Texas
Contact:

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby lhx » Oct 12th, '16, 17:08

1d20-1 => 17, -1 => 16 arcana check
Find me on freenode with the username lhx in #texasxtremerpg or professionally at lawjrm.com
LMoP: GM - LMoP combat tracker OotA: GM - OotA combat tracker, Inventory Tedpocalypse: Zertius, Human Cleric

User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby Dry » Oct 12th, '16, 17:11

Rang, after experimenting for several hours, you finally get a feeling for it and are able to shift your mark between all three forms, doing so more confidently and quickly as you continue practicing.

OOC: This also means you are now considered a magic-user for things which have that as a prerequisite.

User avatar
lhx
Site Admin
Posts: 3559
Joined: Aug 6th, '15, 00:05
Location: D/FW Texas
Contact:

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby lhx » Oct 12th, '16, 17:14

OOC: Triggered off of which ability score?
Find me on freenode with the username lhx in #texasxtremerpg or professionally at lawjrm.com
LMoP: GM - LMoP combat tracker OotA: GM - OotA combat tracker, Inventory Tedpocalypse: Zertius, Human Cleric

User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby Dry » Oct 12th, '16, 17:16

lhx wrote:OOC: Triggered off of which ability score?
This doesn't require an ability score, but if it did, it would fall under charisma, as it's the same kind of willpower-driven, raw arcane control that sorcerers tap into, just at a much weaker level.

User avatar
deltreey
Posts: 1231
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 12:05
Location: Florida

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby deltreey » Oct 12th, '16, 19:49

lhx wrote:"I really wish you'd just say what you're thinking instead of this riddle non sense."



"You were in the military right? Did you ever walk up to the orc army and tell them 'Guys, we're going to attack over on your east flank tomorrow'? That's the reason I don't say things directly. We are surrounded by our enemies. Trust no one."

Sitting in the privacy of her carriage, she pulled out her picks and started working on the lock.

"I'm trusting you with information that, if given to the very people I've been talking about will get me killed, and I'd appreciate you respecting that fact when I whisper things in your ear. The person who spoke the language that shouldn't exist in Katan is the person who I told you spoke that language in the note I sent you, at my own peril. And he did so at a parade in front of thousands of people."

She sighed, sitting back, her tongue curling over her lip as she worked at the lock.

"With regard to things getting worse, that's what we've discovered so far today. I told you that none of my actions were what they seemed to be. Surely you didn't think we were simply shopping all morning?"




User avatar
lhx
Site Admin
Posts: 3559
Joined: Aug 6th, '15, 00:05
Location: D/FW Texas
Contact:

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby lhx » Oct 12th, '16, 19:57

"Yes, I was in the military, and I was damn good at it. But I didn't handle intelligence missions. If we found documents, we just seized them and brought them back to the smarter people. But then again, orc documents are few and far between. I will keep my mouth shut as to the person you're referring to. So you think that person was commanding the dark ritual?"
Find me on freenode with the username lhx in #texasxtremerpg or professionally at lawjrm.com
LMoP: GM - LMoP combat tracker OotA: GM - OotA combat tracker, Inventory Tedpocalypse: Zertius, Human Cleric

User avatar
deltreey
Posts: 1231
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 12:05
Location: Florida

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby deltreey » Oct 12th, '16, 20:19

Delive shook her head, even though she wasn't face to face with Rang, it was a habit.

"No actually. It sounded more like he was giving a summary of the year's events by those people. I don't think he did this to himself, but that doesn't mean I think he is innocent in all of this. If the fact that they keep insulting my family and then saying 'We're not supposed to talk about that' isn't hint enough. They're lying to us, every one of them, and they're doing it a lot. Like the red man we met with in the hallway. He lied to us and hit someone in our presence. Those are both against the laws of Katan."




User avatar
lhx
Site Admin
Posts: 3559
Joined: Aug 6th, '15, 00:05
Location: D/FW Texas
Contact:

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby lhx » Oct 12th, '16, 20:55

"What if they're not actually lying and are instead simply omitting some truths? Maybe they really need our help; and that there really is something bad coming? That could still fit into them looking suspicious. What with concern about the kingdom's existence and all... Maybe they don't trust us enough yet with whatever big thing is out there... That durned zone of truth captain sure wasn't to be trusted... damn police overstepping their bounds... that I did notice. They sure know what's going on with Brottor's shadow and won't tell us..."
Find me on freenode with the username lhx in #texasxtremerpg or professionally at lawjrm.com
LMoP: GM - LMoP combat tracker OotA: GM - OotA combat tracker, Inventory Tedpocalypse: Zertius, Human Cleric

User avatar
deltreey
Posts: 1231
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 12:05
Location: Florida

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby deltreey » Oct 12th, '16, 21:36

"Maybe..." Delive sighed, trying to focus on mastering yet another lock to keep her mind occupied. "The whole damn world is maybes. It's the laws of Katan that are too black and white, and part of the problem. 'Dishonesty in affairs of business and state' Is the one they broke. It's dishonest to withhold information, regardless of whether you call a lie of omission a lie or not."




User avatar
lhx
Site Admin
Posts: 3559
Joined: Aug 6th, '15, 00:05
Location: D/FW Texas
Contact:

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby lhx » Oct 12th, '16, 21:46

"There was an officer of mine in Stel, a human actually, that knew a lot of philosophy and argued about the same thing you're talking about. 'everything is grey, except for Katan' he would say. He said that 'if an omission is a lie, then then the whole damn country should be branded' or something like that... I always seemed to agree with that..."
Find me on freenode with the username lhx in #texasxtremerpg or professionally at lawjrm.com
LMoP: GM - LMoP combat tracker OotA: GM - OotA combat tracker, Inventory Tedpocalypse: Zertius, Human Cleric

User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby Dry » Oct 13th, '16, 03:05

deltreey wrote:Sitting in the privacy of her carriage, she pulled out her picks and started working on the lock.
It will take one hour per set of attempts as it is a very complex lock, especially since you are trying to learn its workings as you go. If the carriage starts moving the DC goes up to about 40 or so, i.e., it will be utterly impossible.

If you are going to sit there for an hour and try to do it now, roll a Thieves' Tools check, (at disadv due to exhaustion). Or leave it for later, having realised how difficult the task will be.

User avatar
shortsinsnow
Posts: 664
Joined: Jul 20th, '16, 18:58
Location: CT, USA

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby shortsinsnow » Oct 13th, '16, 06:53

"Fair point. And Brother Brottor is fine, as it is my appointed name and title. Would you be able to distinguish on this list which were caused by outsiders, and which may have been caused by citizens of Katan? Otherwise, this have been a great help, thank you Jira." Brottor says, looking at the list.

OOC- Just want to confirm that these notes are of an archive that Brottor himself can access as a specialist.
OotA: Xilvaris Castien




User avatar
deltreey
Posts: 1231
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 12:05
Location: Florida

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby deltreey » Oct 13th, '16, 10:31

Delive spent the ride practicing on the lock, suggesting various options for places to eat to Rang while they rode. She wasn't concerned with getting in depth with the lock just yet, more keeping her mind busy so she didn't fall asleep.




User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby Dry » Oct 13th, '16, 10:35

deltreey wrote:Delive spent the ride practicing on the lock, suggesting various options for places to eat to Rang while they rode. She wasn't concerned with getting in depth with the lock just yet, more keeping her mind busy so she didn't fall asleep.

The fiddling keeps you awake, but you don't make any progress, as the very fine tumblers keep being jolted into resetting constantly before you are able to make any progress. Looking at the intricate key itself (of which you have 3 copies), which has not only two rows of different teeth but also multiple indentations along its sides, you wonder about just how useful it would be to have several more sets of hands right about now...

shortsinsnow wrote:"Fair point. And Brother Brottor is fine, as it is my appointed name and title. Would you be able to distinguish on this list which were caused by outsiders, and which may have been caused by citizens of Katan? Otherwise, this have been a great help, thank you Jira." Brottor says, looking at the list.

OOC- Just want to confirm that these notes are of an archive that Brottor himself can access as a specialist.

"I will be more detailed in future, Brother Brottor, I'm sorry for the omission, you hadn't specified, you see. I need to be getting back now, will I be seeing you tomorrow? Or would you like me to keep working on this for the time being? I hope it isn't leading to anything too serious?" There is a glint of excitement behind Jira's eyes, as he evidently feels like he's finally involved in something more meaningful than sharpening swords and repairing walls.

OOC: yes, you have access to everything an apprentice at the barracks does, if not more - pretty much everything short of things the Council marks off-limits, which things like details of active operations will fall under.


Also, this more or less catches Brottor up to the others in terms of time yay! once Jira leaves and he has his lunch or whatnot, that'll put everyone to around 1pm.

User avatar
shortsinsnow
Posts: 664
Joined: Jul 20th, '16, 18:58
Location: CT, USA

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby shortsinsnow » Oct 13th, '16, 10:46

Dry wrote:"I will be more detailed in future, Brother Brottor, I'm sorry for the omission, you hadn't specified, you see. I need to be getting back now, will I be seeing you tomorrow? Or would you like me to keep working on this for the time being? I hope it isn't leading to anything too serious?" There is a glint of excitement behind Jira's eyes, as he evidently feels like he's finally involved in something more meaningful than sharpening swords and repairing walls.


"That is a fair enough point. I am new to this whole leadership thing, I do expect there to be some time of breaking in. As for tomorrow, please take these notes and elaborate perhaps, who were the perpetrators, how did they fight, and perhaps what became of them if it's available. And whenever you have that all down, please bring them here to the temple. If I am unavailable, just leave them for me. And I am afraid to say, I do not know the outcome of these findings. One might say we are stepping into the unknown a bit."
OotA: Xilvaris Castien




User avatar
lhx
Site Admin
Posts: 3559
Joined: Aug 6th, '15, 00:05
Location: D/FW Texas
Contact:

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby lhx » Oct 13th, '16, 11:33

Rang spots a sidewalk cafe style restaurant and asks Delive if this will do.
Find me on freenode with the username lhx in #texasxtremerpg or professionally at lawjrm.com
LMoP: GM - LMoP combat tracker OotA: GM - OotA combat tracker, Inventory Tedpocalypse: Zertius, Human Cleric

User avatar
deltreey
Posts: 1231
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 12:05
Location: Florida

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby deltreey » Oct 13th, '16, 12:20

Not really paying attention, or caring for that matter, Delive agrees to the restaurant choice, saying one last thing before leaving the relative privacy of the carriage.

"If I'm not around tomorrow, don't tell anyone, but I'll need you to come look for me, because I'll probably be dead." Always the planner, and always the liar, she made sure to make eye contact to make sure that at the very least, this part of the conversation didn't go over Rang's head.




User avatar
lhx
Site Admin
Posts: 3559
Joined: Aug 6th, '15, 00:05
Location: D/FW Texas
Contact:

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby lhx » Oct 13th, '16, 12:21

Rang looks at her with sad eyes and says, "Stick around me my lady and you won't be dead. Now, lets get a bite to eat, and I think you're needing a nap of some sorts."
Find me on freenode with the username lhx in #texasxtremerpg or professionally at lawjrm.com
LMoP: GM - LMoP combat tracker OotA: GM - OotA combat tracker, Inventory Tedpocalypse: Zertius, Human Cleric

User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby Dry » Oct 13th, '16, 13:12

Delive & Rang, having had a considerable breakfast earlier in the day, you settle for a light lunch consisting of soup and some freshly baked bread rolls with butter. It's simple but well cooked, and very filling. 3sp each. What's your next stop?

Nayveen, are you going to spar with anyone else or what's your intention at this point? Carrying on with the other investigations?

Brottor, Jira leaves with a "I'll see what I can do". Lunchtime is approaching, what are you doing next?


OOC: it's up to you guys if you want to go through all the little things or just give me a general plan of action I can resolve quicker, I'm fine with either way, though we have spent a fair while on relatively minor investigationy things now, and while you're picking up some useful bits of lore and information, I don't want you to be put off by the slowness with which you're progressing.

User avatar
shortsinsnow
Posts: 664
Joined: Jul 20th, '16, 18:58
Location: CT, USA

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby shortsinsnow » Oct 13th, '16, 13:16

Brottor will spend most of the remainder of his day doing the work of his faith; prayer, feeding the needy, baptisms, etc.

Later in the evening, before more celebrations are to take place, Brottor will return to Divna Ranur to pick up his new outfit at a time that seems reasonable to what she had said from earlier that day. He will probably walk over this time as he is not in much of a rush.
OotA: Xilvaris Castien




User avatar
lhx
Site Admin
Posts: 3559
Joined: Aug 6th, '15, 00:05
Location: D/FW Texas
Contact:

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby lhx » Oct 13th, '16, 13:17

Rang wants to get Delive to someplace she can get a long rest in safely before the concert. Then he wants to go to the concert. :)
Find me on freenode with the username lhx in #texasxtremerpg or professionally at lawjrm.com
LMoP: GM - LMoP combat tracker OotA: GM - OotA combat tracker, Inventory Tedpocalypse: Zertius, Human Cleric

Namaphry
Posts: 736
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 14:02

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby Namaphry » Oct 13th, '16, 15:59

Nayveen might spar again before leaving, but there doesn't seem much point in spending a second silver piece on the rental. She'll be moving on, soon. Enough of her questions seem to have been answered so far to confirm that the tournament and Adam's involvement in it probably aren't going to be all that interesting.

User avatar
lhx
Site Admin
Posts: 3559
Joined: Aug 6th, '15, 00:05
Location: D/FW Texas
Contact:

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby lhx » Oct 13th, '16, 16:10

After finishing their meal, Rang says to Delive, "Well now, if you're going to have every chance of surviving tonight, let's get you to a bed. I'll stand guard outside while you sleep if that's what you're worried about. Then we can make our way to the concert."
Find me on freenode with the username lhx in #texasxtremerpg or professionally at lawjrm.com
LMoP: GM - LMoP combat tracker OotA: GM - OotA combat tracker, Inventory Tedpocalypse: Zertius, Human Cleric

User avatar
deltreey
Posts: 1231
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 12:05
Location: Florida

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby deltreey » Oct 13th, '16, 16:28

Delive breathed heavy. She was exhausted. "Fine. You're right. But if you're going to stand guard anyway, you might as well take the horses back to the stables and let them rest. I'll be fine." She gave Rang directions to the stables where she kept her carriage and got off the carriage, seeking a bathhouse in which to take a bath and sleep.




User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby Dry » Oct 13th, '16, 16:29

Nayveen, make an investigation check.

Rang, what are you doing with the rest of the afternoon?


User avatar
lhx
Site Admin
Posts: 3559
Joined: Aug 6th, '15, 00:05
Location: D/FW Texas
Contact:

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby lhx » Oct 13th, '16, 19:14

Rang takes the horses back to the stables as instructed, makes sure they're fed, tips the stable boy a few copper, and wants to go take in some of the street carnival atmosphere until the concert.
Find me on freenode with the username lhx in #texasxtremerpg or professionally at lawjrm.com
LMoP: GM - LMoP combat tracker OotA: GM - OotA combat tracker, Inventory Tedpocalypse: Zertius, Human Cleric

User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby Dry » Oct 14th, '16, 12:44

Delive, you get your 8 hours sleep and will be up at 9pm. Long rest, exhaustion gone, post levelup changes.

1d10 => 2 => 2
Rang, you find a small circus that's been erected in one of the smaller parks, and spend most of the afternoon there, watching various performances. There's no charge to get in, though they are selling snacks and drinks.

User avatar
lhx
Site Admin
Posts: 3559
Joined: Aug 6th, '15, 00:05
Location: D/FW Texas
Contact:

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby lhx » Oct 14th, '16, 12:49

Rang is pretty satiated. He's just enjoying the people watching for now.
Find me on freenode with the username lhx in #texasxtremerpg or professionally at lawjrm.com
LMoP: GM - LMoP combat tracker OotA: GM - OotA combat tracker, Inventory Tedpocalypse: Zertius, Human Cleric

User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby Dry » Oct 14th, '16, 13:00

1d5 => 3 => 3
1d5 => 2 => 2
Brottor, you go to pick up your coat, and don't run into any of the others as you make your way through the city. The crowds are starting to gather for the various evening festivities, and it takes you about an hour and a half to take a meandering course over to Divna's shop. She presents you with a fine jacket ((pretend it's dwarf-proportioned)), composed of vertical strips of alternating material - black leather, silvery-coloured canvas, and blue piping of a shade similar to your vestments; there are accompanying trousers and a cloak. There's a small gauntlet of Torm on the jacket, stitched into one of the canvas sections, and there is also one prominently displayed on the back of the cloak. Overall, the construction is of a very high quality, while being clearly rugged and ready to stand up to some abuse; and the colours, not counting the black leather bits, are near enough to what you're used to your vestments being.

User avatar
shortsinsnow
Posts: 664
Joined: Jul 20th, '16, 18:58
Location: CT, USA

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby shortsinsnow » Oct 14th, '16, 13:38

"My word," Brottor says, running his hands over the garmets, "They are magnificent. They look far too grand to be mine." He says, walking around them to get the full effect, cloak and all (I assume they are on a mannequin to showcase them). His eyes glimmer a bit, as he smiles at the outfit. Never had he owned such elegant clothes in his life, but it was never too late to start.
Brottor will pull out another 10 gold pieces, knowing full well that he has already paid her, and before she has a chance to argue, will say "Lass, I may be old as stone and dirt, but never in my life have I beheld such finery. You have put a smile on my face tonight, and gold is the least I can do to thank you."
OotA: Xilvaris Castien




User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby Dry » Oct 14th, '16, 13:38

1d5 => 5 => 5
1d5 => 4 => 4
Nayveen, you also don't run into any of the others as you make your investigations around the city.
You find information in various places - a tiny, dusty little bookstore; a park with tables set out where old folk are playing dragonchess; a tavern full of a crowd engaged in meaningless political debate.

You learn the following:

Regarding the king's lineage, it seems very little is known; The father of King Olaf Mikelson was King Mikel Jorgenson, and that's all that anyone has to say on the matter. There is no known heir.

To the matter of the succession, there is no known heir, and it's assumed the Council would nominate a replacement, should a need arise, though there's no info on specific processes for such.

To the matter of the Council itself, there's no actual list of members, though you do manage to pick up that it was larger in the past than it is now.

On the matter of lawkeeping, well, people just don't really break the law except in exceptional circumstances, so that's that.

As for wealthy families, that kind of information isn't publicised; people lead private lives, though it's suggested the government would have records, should you wish to seek them through official channels.


shortsinsnow wrote:Brottor will pull out another 10 gold pieces, knowing full well that he has already paid her, and before she has a chance to argue, will say "Lass, I may be old as stone and dirt, but never in my life have I beheld such finery. You have put a smile on my face tonight, and gold is the least I can do to thank you."

Divna is quite taken by your show of emotion, and seeing that you won't accept a refusal, she instead winks at you and says "Oh, and I almost forgot the boots, what a git I am!" She rummages through several boxes until she finds a pair of black leather boots the right size, having measured you earlier, and starts bundling everything up for you. "Don't get much by way of holy men coming to order clothes for me, so I really gave it some extra effort. I hope these clothes serve you well on your travels."

User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby Dry » Oct 14th, '16, 13:53

OOC:
We're now into evening, around 9pm. I'm assuming you will have managed to find somewhere to eat for a few silver pieces, depending on how extravagant a meal you're after. The concerto is set for midnight, but you should know it would be wise to arrive early, given the prominence of the performers; the King himself did say this was to be the highlight of the whole festival. You should all be making your final preparations and heading over to Seven Statues park.

User avatar
shortsinsnow
Posts: 664
Joined: Jul 20th, '16, 18:58
Location: CT, USA

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby shortsinsnow » Oct 14th, '16, 13:55

"I do believe they will." He says, seeing her wrap things up, and then thinking of the time, says, "Actually, might I wear them out? My presence is requested at the concert tonight, and I cannot think of a more fitting event to break them in."
OotA: Xilvaris Castien




User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby Dry » Oct 14th, '16, 14:01

"Oh, certainly. You can change behind the screen here. At least let me fold up your robes before you go."

User avatar
shortsinsnow
Posts: 664
Joined: Jul 20th, '16, 18:58
Location: CT, USA

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby shortsinsnow » Oct 14th, '16, 14:06

Brottor will change into the new outfit, and stand in front of the mirrors to see the new him while she folds his old robes.
If there was nothing else, he would thank her again and head out into the night, not as Brother Brottor, but as Brottor Irongatherer, son of a miner, specialist to the kind of Katan, and man of the people.

[cue fanfare]
OotA: Xilvaris Castien




User avatar
lhx
Site Admin
Posts: 3559
Joined: Aug 6th, '15, 00:05
Location: D/FW Texas
Contact:

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby lhx » Oct 14th, '16, 14:07

OOC: Is brottor leaving the temple?
Find me on freenode with the username lhx in #texasxtremerpg or professionally at lawjrm.com
LMoP: GM - LMoP combat tracker OotA: GM - OotA combat tracker, Inventory Tedpocalypse: Zertius, Human Cleric

User avatar
shortsinsnow
Posts: 664
Joined: Jul 20th, '16, 18:58
Location: CT, USA

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby shortsinsnow » Oct 14th, '16, 14:10

OOC- Brottor is leaving the tailors shop. He left the temple about an hour and a half ago to get to the tailor shop
OotA: Xilvaris Castien




User avatar
lhx
Site Admin
Posts: 3559
Joined: Aug 6th, '15, 00:05
Location: D/FW Texas
Contact:

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby lhx » Oct 14th, '16, 14:13

shortsinsnow wrote:OOC- Brottor is leaving the tailors shop. He left the temple about an hour and a half ago to get to the tailor shop


OOC: Sorry... that was confusing... Is he leaving the temple and no longer being a brother of Torm? I.e. Brottor Irongatherer.
Find me on freenode with the username lhx in #texasxtremerpg or professionally at lawjrm.com
LMoP: GM - LMoP combat tracker OotA: GM - OotA combat tracker, Inventory Tedpocalypse: Zertius, Human Cleric

User avatar
shortsinsnow
Posts: 664
Joined: Jul 20th, '16, 18:58
Location: CT, USA

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby shortsinsnow » Oct 14th, '16, 14:16

OOC- OOOH! No, he's still a priest, but like...he's also accepting his old identity again? Basically he's treating these clothes, which he wanted because he doesn't want to mess them up, as sort of like a costume. It's like reverse Batman (although Kevin Conroy would argue that Batman was really disguising himself as Bruce Wayne)
OotA: Xilvaris Castien




User avatar
lhx
Site Admin
Posts: 3559
Joined: Aug 6th, '15, 00:05
Location: D/FW Texas
Contact:

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby lhx » Oct 14th, '16, 14:41

OOC - Gotcha. Thanks!
Find me on freenode with the username lhx in #texasxtremerpg or professionally at lawjrm.com
LMoP: GM - LMoP combat tracker OotA: GM - OotA combat tracker, Inventory Tedpocalypse: Zertius, Human Cleric


Return to “Tales of Katan”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest