Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby Dry » Oct 26th, '16, 23:18

Nayveen, roll an investigation check to see what you come up with as you skim through the scores of files.

Namaphry
Posts: 736
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 14:02

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby Namaphry » Oct 27th, '16, 03:15

Using Advantage from Tides of Chaos, because it's almost time for a long rest, anyway.

Investigation: 1d20+5 => 1, 5 => 6
Advantage: 1d20+5 => 19, 5 => 24

User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby Dry » Oct 27th, '16, 04:23

OOC: that is quite the range difference in rolls o_o
-----

You start to sift through the masses of papers, and it's just tedious record after record, in no apparent order and with no obvious connections or patterns between them. You know that the information should be at your fingertips, and in frustration, you allow the arcane energies to flow through you and start sorting the papers magically. A sergeant runs into the meeting room to see dozens of pages floating around you in the air, but before he can say anything you wave him away without even looking up.

See PM.

This has taken you several hours, and it's now about 4am.

Namaphry
Posts: 736
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 14:02

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby Namaphry » Oct 27th, '16, 06:16

After she's done her research, Nayveen will look for somewhere secure for her trance at the barracks, since she intends to set up her alarm ward, as usual, and doesn't want to be disturbed. Unfortunately, she doesn't have enough time to leave the city, but at least she's tired enough not to care, too much.

User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby Dry » Oct 27th, '16, 06:46

There are still several free guest rooms upstairs in the barracks, and you're able to spend the night there undisturbed.

-----
It's now morning, everyone's waking up and has a little downtime before heading to the meeting with the king. You have all taken a long rest.

Brottor, there's a note waiting for you from Jira saying that he'll update you on the day's research when you reach the barracks for your midday meeting.

What's everyone doing?

User avatar
shortsinsnow
Posts: 664
Joined: Jul 20th, '16, 18:58
Location: CT, USA

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby shortsinsnow » Oct 27th, '16, 07:45

Brottor wakes up later that he normally does. Perhaps it would be better to get an early start on his work. Torm would understand, it's work for the greater good, after all.

He will dress in his new outfit and, after breakfast, he will head out into the city towards the barracks. Just because he has an assistant does not mean he no longer belongs among books himself.

(Assume he wakes around 10, eats, and leave the temple around 10:30. He would walk to the Barracks and see if Jira is available then. Otherwise he will go right to researching some more on current affairs of Katan and it's surrounding nations. He's a bit of an outsider on international policies, so he will take time when possible to brush up; who is at war with whom, who the current problematic cults and terror cells are, etc.)
OotA: Xilvaris Castien

User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby Dry » Oct 27th, '16, 08:20

ooc: Overworld map is added to the journal (link in my signature)

Reaching the barracks, you are informed that Jira has gone off to find some records in an off-site storage facility, but said he will return around quarter to twelve. You spend the time brushing up- there's not much by way of war, except to the far west where Stel fights orcs at their western border, and various skirmishes with creatures encountered during their mining operations; sometimes these can be quite involved affairs, apparently. The South Sea has various nations spread along it, especially to the east, and piracy is quite active; Morikova devotes a fair bit of resource to patrolling it with a naval fleet.
Otherwise, things are fairly peaceful. The wood elves found throughout Katan occasionally stir up trouble, but that's about the only thing approaching a cult that's to be found; multiple gods and pantheons are actively worshipped with little strife between their followers, since it's understood that often times the same diety can take different names or forms under different circles of belief, but at the end of the day, if your prayers are answered, then that's all that matters. There aren't any monotheistic religions prevalent.

User avatar
deltreey
Posts: 1231
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 12:05
Location: Florida

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby deltreey » Oct 27th, '16, 08:58

Delive had trouble sleeping. Not only had she only gotten up a few hours before, but there was a lot on her mind and a lot of information to decipher and process. On the up-side, she was not dead. On the down-side, she had not gotten the information she needed. She had to decide who to tell, and as she drifted off, she settled on telling Brottor, if and when she saw him.

When she got up in the morning, she had a lot on her mind. Knowing that today was her day to leave town, she decided it was more of a traveling outfit sort of day and went with her slinkier, lighter outfit for the morning meeting (the one in the picture). She did her makeup and got to the barracks early to take advantage of any mealtime that was going on and learn more about the people who spent so much time here. It wasn't that she was planning on killing the King, but one has to prepare for every eventuality. Knowledge is power, as they say.

User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby Dry » Oct 27th, '16, 09:22

You make it to the barracks around half past eleven. Food is available from the canteen, and as you sit and eat, you notice that none of the soldiers there are discussing anything remotely related to their active military duties. The topics mostly revolve around various events that they've attended as part of the festival proceedings, some family life, etc. It's actually somewhat conspicuous how the conversation is being kept rigidly away from any official topics, though you don't get the impression it's because of your presence; rather, the barracks during daytime is open to civilians and this seems to be the default modus operandi.

Namaphry
Posts: 736
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 14:02

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby Namaphry » Oct 27th, '16, 15:12

Nayveen gets her breakfast, there, too, since she hasn't left and time is still tight.. It's not a special event, so no need to check for poison. She'll have to wait to pick up the rest of her belongings, and her horse, afterward.

User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby Dry » Oct 27th, '16, 16:08

Nayveen, since you only need to trance for four hours, you'll be getting going a little before nine, so have plenty of time to fetch your gear after breakfast.

Namaphry
Posts: 736
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 14:02

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby Namaphry » Oct 27th, '16, 16:46

Well, sure, so long as that still counts as resting! She'll gather everything, then.

User avatar
lhx
Site Admin
Posts: 3559
Joined: Aug 6th, '15, 00:05
Location: D/FW Texas
Contact:

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby lhx » Oct 27th, '16, 16:54

Rang will go grab some chow in the mess hall and then head on to the meeting with the king.
Find me on freenode with the username lhx in #texasxtremerpg or professionally at lawjrm.com
LMoP: GM - LMoP combat tracker OotA: GM - OotA combat tracker, Inventory Tedpocalypse: Zertius, Human Cleric

User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby Dry » Oct 27th, '16, 17:05

Brottor, when Jira returns, he hands you a couple pages with fewer entries and notes made. See pm.
"Is this format more in line with what you were looking for?"

User avatar
shortsinsnow
Posts: 664
Joined: Jul 20th, '16, 18:58
Location: CT, USA

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby shortsinsnow » Oct 28th, '16, 06:47

"Yes, this will be easier to cross reference should I need to cross reference anything. Thank you, Jira," Brottor says. He will point at the part about the lumbar settlement and the woods and ask, "Is there any more information about this? I think this may have been what I was looking for without knowing it." he chuckles lightly, "If so, then please spend tomorrows work finding what you can about Miriam. Otherwise, take some extra time on your studies. A sharp mind is as important as any honed weapon." he says, trying to sound sagely
OotA: Xilvaris Castien




User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby Dry » Oct 28th, '16, 07:38

Jira nods and takes a quick note on a small scroll of parchment that he tucks into a pocket.

-----

Midday approaches, and as you've all gathered at the barracks already, you're shown into the central council chambers. Olaf is there, waiting for you, though he is alone. The doors close behind you, and as they do, all sound from outside falls mute. The king himself hops lithely onto a chair, and closing his eyes, mutters something; when his eyelids open, there is a faint purple glow to his eyes, and he looks around the room.

"Good, we are alone. You may speak freely here, your words will not reach anyone besides the five of us present. I am truly sorry that I must burden you with this task, but time is of the essence and we need all hands on deck; that goes doubly so for the most capable hands in all the lands."

Before any of you have a chance to interject, the King hops from chair to table (and it's a large table, able to seat perhaps twenty) on which is currently laid out a fairly detailed map of Katan; he walks across it, and drops to one knee by an area about forty miles north of Marble, and a couple miles east of the road that eventually leads to Helix. "Here," he jabs a finger at an empty field, indistinct from hundreds of others around it, "here is where you must go. I do not know what kind of protections Orlov has in place of late, but I sincerely hope you are capable enough to overcome them."

User avatar
lhx
Site Admin
Posts: 3559
Joined: Aug 6th, '15, 00:05
Location: D/FW Texas
Contact:

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby lhx » Oct 28th, '16, 08:53

"Protections my king?"
Find me on freenode with the username lhx in #texasxtremerpg or professionally at lawjrm.com
LMoP: GM - LMoP combat tracker OotA: GM - OotA combat tracker, Inventory Tedpocalypse: Zertius, Human Cleric

User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby Dry » Oct 28th, '16, 10:15

"Yes, protections. Keep out the useless riff-raff, he used to say. You should expect a series of physical and magical... obstacles. Do not take them lightly."

User avatar
deltreey
Posts: 1231
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 12:05
Location: Florida

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby deltreey » Oct 28th, '16, 10:20

Delive was so confused, so utterly astounded by the awkwardness of this entire meeting, that she fell back to grade school instincts and raised her hand, waiting for the King to call on her.




User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby Dry » Oct 28th, '16, 10:23

The king, and everyone else, looks over at Delive, waiting for her to speak.

User avatar
deltreey
Posts: 1231
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 12:05
Location: Florida

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby deltreey » Oct 28th, '16, 10:29

Delives face was squished, like her grandmother had pressed it together. She was squinting, her eyebrows furrowed, and her mouth was twisted. When she spoke her voice was crackling and full of stutters.

"Did you--did you just call us--the 'most capable hands'--'in all the lands'." It was a silly question to be sure, and one she would normally have kept to herself to investigate later, but the concept, the very statement was so absurd that she couldn't focus on anything else. The talk about magical traps, the directions, even the person she was supposed to go get had all fallen away from her mind, and she was having trouble focusing on the meeting. Was this--man--suggesting that the three of them were somehow hand-picked? Did he do this?!? The concept that the king might have set up the entire attack to lure her--and these three--out into the open was absurd. Who was she? She had no interest in his stupidity or politics. Why? What the fuck?!?




User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby Dry » Oct 28th, '16, 10:34

The king laughs at this, "Oh, no, no, the most capable hands would be Orlov, who we are currently lacking, hence my request that you go and try to convince him to end his abandonment of this Council, this nation..." it's almost like he wants to add "and of me" but just stops himself.

irc wrote:[Fri 16:36] <deltreey__work> > can I roll to see if he's lying?
[Fri 16:37] <DryEagle> > sure, go for it
[Fri 16:37] <deltreey__work> > what do I roll?
[Fri 16:37] <DryEagle> > insight

User avatar
deltreey
Posts: 1231
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 12:05
Location: Florida

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby deltreey » Oct 28th, '16, 10:37

Insight: 1d20+3 => 11, 3 => 14




User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby Dry » Oct 28th, '16, 10:39

As far as well-rested, fully alert Delive believes, the king is being entirely straightforward and sincere in what he's saying.

User avatar
deltreey
Posts: 1231
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 12:05
Location: Florida

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby deltreey » Oct 28th, '16, 10:43

Delive grumbled in her mind. She couldn't prove that he was lying, but she was sure of it.

"Well then." She said, composing herself and regaining her usual smiley persona. "What are we waiting for? Sounds like we should go get him now. Do you not have another teleporting mage to get us closer? Or shall we take my carriage?" As she said the word "teleporting" her eyes glanced, somewhat conspicuously in the direction of the town square, where the Vizier had been casting powerful spells.




User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby Dry » Oct 28th, '16, 10:50

"Unfortunately we have no circles nearby to receive a normal transit, so you'll need to make your way there by conventional means. Still, it should only take the near side of two days travel, and he may well have a shorter route on the way back."

User avatar
lhx
Site Admin
Posts: 3559
Joined: Aug 6th, '15, 00:05
Location: D/FW Texas
Contact:

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby lhx » Oct 28th, '16, 11:26

Rang says to Delive, "That's a generous offer for your carriage... that may make sense if our gracious king will provide us a few extra horses to rotate as beasts of burden, we could make very fast time indeed."
Find me on freenode with the username lhx in #texasxtremerpg or professionally at lawjrm.com
LMoP: GM - LMoP combat tracker OotA: GM - OotA combat tracker, Inventory Tedpocalypse: Zertius, Human Cleric

User avatar
shortsinsnow
Posts: 664
Joined: Jul 20th, '16, 18:58
Location: CT, USA

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby shortsinsnow » Oct 28th, '16, 11:35

"So we are merely a mouth piece, sir? I feel like the presence of 4 'specialists' at his door step sends a message of it's own. I would not wish to harm or force this Orlov to do anything, and what grounds does he have to trust our words over your own? I feel a lecture on the words of Torm would not necessarily suffice, so what are you really asking us to do?" Brottor says, one of his bushy eyebrow cocked
OotA: Xilvaris Castien




User avatar
lhx
Site Admin
Posts: 3559
Joined: Aug 6th, '15, 00:05
Location: D/FW Texas
Contact:

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby lhx » Oct 28th, '16, 11:37

Rang says, "Sounds like we're to drag him back here, whether he wants to come or not..."
Find me on freenode with the username lhx in #texasxtremerpg or professionally at lawjrm.com
LMoP: GM - LMoP combat tracker OotA: GM - OotA combat tracker, Inventory Tedpocalypse: Zertius, Human Cleric

Namaphry
Posts: 736
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 14:02

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby Namaphry » Oct 28th, '16, 11:38

"Hmf," Nayveen was having a hard time thinking of what to say. She was very skeptical. "Are we in a hurry?"

User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby Dry » Oct 28th, '16, 11:40

"If he chooses not to come, there's not a thing you'll be able to do about it. This is a diplomatic mission, not a military one. I just hope your combined talents will be sufficient to reach him, past whatever defenses he's put in place against unwanted guests."

Turning to Nayveen, "Yes, I do certainly hope you will hurry. There's no telling when our enemies will make their next move."

User avatar
lhx
Site Admin
Posts: 3559
Joined: Aug 6th, '15, 00:05
Location: D/FW Texas
Contact:

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby lhx » Oct 28th, '16, 11:46

Rang says, "My king, may we have the use of a team of 4 horses? They don't need to be of the best stock, we can rotate them through Miss Arimey's carriage to make strong time."
Find me on freenode with the username lhx in #texasxtremerpg or professionally at lawjrm.com
LMoP: GM - LMoP combat tracker OotA: GM - OotA combat tracker, Inventory Tedpocalypse: Zertius, Human Cleric

User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby Dry » Oct 28th, '16, 11:53

"Horses, yes, not a problem. Requisition some from the Stables on your way out of the city, have them bill the barracks. Thank you for taking on this task. I wish you good fortune on your journey." He turns towards the doors, then stops himself and adds, "Oh, and I hope it goes without saying that you are not to share this location," he waves at the part of the map pointed out earlier, "with anyone. For their own protection."

Namaphry
Posts: 736
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 14:02

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby Namaphry » Oct 29th, '16, 09:23

"Of course," Nayveen said, while thinking, I won't bore anyone with it. Who would even care to hear this story?

User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby Dry » Oct 29th, '16, 15:30

Anyone have anything else to say/ask? Ready to depart? Besides picking up your gear, making any other stops before you head north?

User avatar
shortsinsnow
Posts: 664
Joined: Jul 20th, '16, 18:58
Location: CT, USA

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby shortsinsnow » Oct 31st, '16, 06:30

Brottor has voiced his concerns. If nothing else, he will join the others to maintain some semblance of peace.
OotA: Xilvaris Castien




User avatar
deltreey
Posts: 1231
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 12:05
Location: Florida

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby deltreey » Oct 31st, '16, 08:40

Delive is aware that there would not be time in the next 60 years for all of her questions, so she is ready to go.




User avatar
lhx
Site Admin
Posts: 3559
Joined: Aug 6th, '15, 00:05
Location: D/FW Texas
Contact:

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby lhx » Oct 31st, '16, 10:54

Rang will make sure the horse requisition is in order and meet up with the party with 4 extra horses to complement Delive's existing horses.
Find me on freenode with the username lhx in #texasxtremerpg or professionally at lawjrm.com
LMoP: GM - LMoP combat tracker OotA: GM - OotA combat tracker, Inventory Tedpocalypse: Zertius, Human Cleric

Namaphry
Posts: 736
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 14:02

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby Namaphry » Oct 31st, '16, 19:16

Nayveen doesn't have too many questions, but the ones she does are probably too rude to ask a king. She's more than ready to get out of Marble.

User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 1 - The King's Birthday

Postby Dry » Nov 4th, '16, 12:33

Seeing that everything's been said, the King nods and heads out of the meeting room. He waves his hand as he's halfway to the door and sound resumes as normal. The four of you are left to see yourselves out. Taking a second look at the map, you note it's a civilian version, the same as one might purchase in any number of shops - no military points of interest marked on it - so there's little point to hanging around and studying it further. You arrange to meet by the northern exit to Marvel at the second hour of the afternoon such that everyone has time to stop by their respective accomodations and pick up any equipment they might want for a trip out of town.

The adventure continues here: viewtopic.php?f=33&t=129


Return to “Tales of Katan”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest