Scenario 3 - The Elven Tournament

User avatar
lhx
Site Admin
Posts: 3559
Joined: Aug 6th, '15, 00:05
Location: D/FW Texas
Contact:

Re: Scenario 3 - The Elven Tournament

Postby lhx » May 20th, '17, 12:47

Rang looks for any nets in the inventory while Delive makes up her mind on potion choice. His manner of searching is causing items and inventory to go flying in multiple directions; Rang doesn't quite mind these short time constraints so someone else can reorganize the inventory.
Find me on freenode with the username lhx in #texasxtremerpg or professionally at lawjrm.com
LMoP: GM - LMoP combat tracker OotA: GM - OotA combat tracker, Inventory Tedpocalypse: Zertius, Human Cleric

User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 3 - The Elven Tournament

Postby Dry » May 20th, '17, 12:49

There is a net, rolled up on one of the shelves. Unfurling it, you can see it's made of sturdy cords, and it's about 5 feet to a side, with metal weights tied to the edges.

User avatar
lhx
Site Admin
Posts: 3559
Joined: Aug 6th, '15, 00:05
Location: D/FW Texas
Contact:

Re: Scenario 3 - The Elven Tournament

Postby lhx » May 20th, '17, 12:50

Dry wrote:There is a net, rolled up on one of the shelves. Unfurling it, you can see it's made of sturdy cords, and it's about 5 feet to a side, with metal weights tied to the edges.


Rang takes the net.
Find me on freenode with the username lhx in #texasxtremerpg or professionally at lawjrm.com
LMoP: GM - LMoP combat tracker OotA: GM - OotA combat tracker, Inventory Tedpocalypse: Zertius, Human Cleric

User avatar
deltreey
Posts: 1231
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 12:05
Location: Florida

Re: Scenario 3 - The Elven Tournament

Postby deltreey » May 21st, '17, 11:06

Investigation: 1d20+8 => 13, 8 => 21

Delive grabbed the perception potion. "Strength Rang. Willpower Brottor."

User avatar
lhx
Site Admin
Posts: 3559
Joined: Aug 6th, '15, 00:05
Location: D/FW Texas
Contact:

Re: Scenario 3 - The Elven Tournament

Postby lhx » May 21st, '17, 11:59

Rang says, "If you say so my lady." Rang walks over to the potion rack, grabs the strength one, and guzzles it down immediately.
Find me on freenode with the username lhx in #texasxtremerpg or professionally at lawjrm.com
LMoP: GM - LMoP combat tracker OotA: GM - OotA combat tracker, Inventory Tedpocalypse: Zertius, Human Cleric

User avatar
shortsinsnow
Posts: 664
Joined: Jul 20th, '16, 18:58
Location: CT, USA

Re: Scenario 3 - The Elven Tournament

Postby shortsinsnow » May 22nd, '17, 06:27

Nodding his understanding, Brottor takes the potion simply labeled 'willpower'. As for gear, perhaps he would have a better chance of surviving this ordeal with slightly better armor, the added benefit being that he wouldn't be risking damage to his own breastplate for something so dangerous. He will look for a half-plate set.

Investigation check
1d20+1 => 6, 1 => 7
OotA: Xilvaris Castien

User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 3 - The Elven Tournament

Postby Dry » May 22nd, '17, 07:54

Delive, looking around the room, one particular weapon catches your eye, a barbed whip coiled up among a pile of rope. Examining it closely, you can tell that it would do some serious damage if it were to catch your target in a weak spot. (Vicious whip, same stats as regular whip except deals an additional 2d6 damage on a critical hit).

Taking the perception potion you feel your senses sharpen - colours more vibrant, shadows less dark. And the sounds... echoes like you've never heard before, off the walls, off the tables... you close your eyes and find you can still easily navigate the room. For the next hour you have 60 feet of darkvision and 20 feet of blindsight.

Rang, chugging the Strength potion you immediately feel a surge of power through your muscles.
For the next hour, your strength score is increased by two (+1 bonus).

Brottor, you can swap your own armor for another set, though none of the armor available here looks to have any sort of magical infusion.

Taking the Willpower potion focuses your thoughts, removing that niggling feeling of uncertainty you sometimes get before taking action. For the next hour, your Charisma score is increased by two (+1 bonus).


At this point, assuming you guys would help Brottor with the armor swap, you have about two minutes remaining before your prep time is up.

User avatar
deltreey
Posts: 1231
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 12:05
Location: Florida

Re: Scenario 3 - The Elven Tournament

Postby deltreey » May 22nd, '17, 08:42

Delive grabbed the whip and hooked it over an arm.
"Depending on how flooded, we may need some way to navigate a lake. Do you have any ideas?"

Delive also took note of the racks if anything would be handy in this scenario.




User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 3 - The Elven Tournament

Postby Dry » May 22nd, '17, 10:36

They contain only weapons, armor, a few unlit torches and the potions. It seems you're largely expected to deal with any other incidental problems yourself.

User avatar
deltreey
Posts: 1231
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 12:05
Location: Florida

Re: Scenario 3 - The Elven Tournament

Postby deltreey » May 22nd, '17, 10:39

While the party discussed how to deal with the potential of a lake, Delive took the time to pick up and light a torch, noting that she could just put it out in the wet grass if it became a detriment.




User avatar
shortsinsnow
Posts: 664
Joined: Jul 20th, '16, 18:58
Location: CT, USA

Re: Scenario 3 - The Elven Tournament

Postby shortsinsnow » May 22nd, '17, 13:51

Brottor, clanking more than he did before in his simpler breast plate, picks up the bucket and says others, "Well, I believe that about does it. Are we ready to stare destiny in the face?"
OotA: Xilvaris Castien




User avatar
deltreey
Posts: 1231
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 12:05
Location: Florida

Re: Scenario 3 - The Elven Tournament

Postby deltreey » May 22nd, '17, 14:17

"Get that liquid on him before Rang gets his first swing off or we'll all die." Delive said to Brottor. Her face was stern, her words gruff.
"Repeat that back to me. This is the most important thing in this whole fight."




User avatar
shortsinsnow
Posts: 664
Joined: Jul 20th, '16, 18:58
Location: CT, USA

Re: Scenario 3 - The Elven Tournament

Postby shortsinsnow » May 22nd, '17, 14:41

"Splash him with the liquid first before Rang engages with him, or else we are all doomed. I hear you." Brottor says
OotA: Xilvaris Castien




User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 3 - The Elven Tournament

Postby Dry » May 22nd, '17, 15:14

As your time runs out, the three of you move forwards through the double doors at the other end of the room to where you'd come out. You find yourselves at one side of a fairly large hall, with a set of wide steps leading down to the arena floor a good 20 feet below. The space is around 100 feet across, with a glass dome a good eighty feet above the arena floor. The arena itself is an irregular octagon in shape, vertical walls, and currently appears to be flooded, as you'd been told - the water is about a foot high, and you can see it gently flowing from left to right, entering and exiting through a pair of matching gratings set into the arena side. In the far corner is a spectator's platform, where five elves are keenly watching.

Your opponent is already in the centre, mounted on horseback, checkered blue and green barding, quite hideous really; it's hard to tell what form of armor he's wearing, as if his armor is just a blur, even to Delive's enhanced sight, but you can see he's holding a lance, and has a quiver by his leg. He is waiting with Kalentr, and they break out into an argument as soon as the human catches sight of you, which proceeds as you step into the arena.

E: "Who are these people??"
K: "They are to be your opponents for the match."
E: "I was to face lord Kinzi! This is an outr-"
K: "Enough. You are making a fool of yourself. Would you rather concede the match?"
E: "No, no. Of course not." His head tilts, and he looks down, "Won't be needing this though." He throws the lance to the ground, it splashing and sinking, and readies a longbow.
K: "Good." Kalentr turns to you three, "The match starts... NOW!"
He vanishes.

Everybody roll initiative.

ooc: Unless you have some compelling reason why you would be moving quickly through water, the arena is considered difficult terrain. The rate of flow is slow enough that it does not have any additional impact regardless of which direction you're moving.
ooc2: there's going to be a whole pile of disadvantage in this fight so please give me double rolls for all dice right off the bat (excluding initiative)

User avatar
lhx
Site Admin
Posts: 3559
Joined: Aug 6th, '15, 00:05
Location: D/FW Texas
Contact:

Re: Scenario 3 - The Elven Tournament

Postby lhx » May 22nd, '17, 17:16

OOC: What liquid is Delive talking about?
Find me on freenode with the username lhx in #texasxtremerpg or professionally at lawjrm.com
LMoP: GM - LMoP combat tracker OotA: GM - OotA combat tracker, Inventory Tedpocalypse: Zertius, Human Cleric

User avatar
lhx
Site Admin
Posts: 3559
Joined: Aug 6th, '15, 00:05
Location: D/FW Texas
Contact:

Re: Scenario 3 - The Elven Tournament

Postby lhx » May 22nd, '17, 17:18

Initiative (edit: Rang gets advantage on initiative):

1d20+2 => 20, 2 => 22
1d20+2 => 6, 2 => 8

OOC: Temporarily added my +1 to STR mod to character sheet as well.
Find me on freenode with the username lhx in #texasxtremerpg or professionally at lawjrm.com
LMoP: GM - LMoP combat tracker OotA: GM - OotA combat tracker, Inventory Tedpocalypse: Zertius, Human Cleric

User avatar
shortsinsnow
Posts: 664
Joined: Jul 20th, '16, 18:58
Location: CT, USA

Re: Scenario 3 - The Elven Tournament

Postby shortsinsnow » May 22nd, '17, 18:19

Initiative

1d20+2 => 17, 2 => 19
OotA: Xilvaris Castien




User avatar
deltreey
Posts: 1231
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 12:05
Location: Florida

Re: Scenario 3 - The Elven Tournament

Postby deltreey » May 22nd, '17, 19:32

Initiative: 1d20+2 => 7, 2 => 9




User avatar
lhx
Site Admin
Posts: 3559
Joined: Aug 6th, '15, 00:05
Location: D/FW Texas
Contact:

Re: Scenario 3 - The Elven Tournament

Postby lhx » May 22nd, '17, 19:43

OOC: Found the bucket post. I get it now.
Find me on freenode with the username lhx in #texasxtremerpg or professionally at lawjrm.com
LMoP: GM - LMoP combat tracker OotA: GM - OotA combat tracker, Inventory Tedpocalypse: Zertius, Human Cleric

User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 3 - The Elven Tournament

Postby Dry » May 23rd, '17, 00:27

Earmane: 1d20+5 => 7, 5 => 12

This means our combat order is:
Rang -> Brottor -> Earmane -> Delive.

Rang, you're up first, what do you do?

User avatar
lhx
Site Admin
Posts: 3559
Joined: Aug 6th, '15, 00:05
Location: D/FW Texas
Contact:

Re: Scenario 3 - The Elven Tournament

Postby lhx » May 23rd, '17, 09:30

Does the horse's barding look to be the same swirling armor as Earmane's?
Find me on freenode with the username lhx in #texasxtremerpg or professionally at lawjrm.com
LMoP: GM - LMoP combat tracker OotA: GM - OotA combat tracker, Inventory Tedpocalypse: Zertius, Human Cleric

User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 3 - The Elven Tournament

Postby Dry » May 23rd, '17, 10:35

No, the horse's armor looks (and even more, sounds) to be regular platemail with a cloth covering.

User avatar
lhx
Site Admin
Posts: 3559
Joined: Aug 6th, '15, 00:05
Location: D/FW Texas
Contact:

Re: Scenario 3 - The Elven Tournament

Postby lhx » May 23rd, '17, 11:39

Rang is going to use his full movement to move as far forward (3 squares I believe, 35' / 2 = just slightly more than 15). He is going to (non frenzied) rage as a bonus action. He then is going to attack the horse at the best perceived weak point in the barding by throwing two javelins (no rage damage added below since not melee, but ranged attacks do count for keeping rage going):

Javelin 1:

1d20+9 => 9, 9 => 18
1d20+9 => 3, 9 => 12 if at disadv
Damage: 1d6+5 => 4, 5 => 9 piercing if hit
1d6 => 5 => 5 extra piercing damage if crit

Javelin 2:
1d20+9 => 7, 9 => 16
1d20+9 => 5, 9 => 14 if at disadv
Damage: 1d6+5 => 5, 5 => 10 piercing if hit
1d6 => 1 => 1 extra piercing damage if crit
Find me on freenode with the username lhx in #texasxtremerpg or professionally at lawjrm.com
LMoP: GM - LMoP combat tracker OotA: GM - OotA combat tracker, Inventory Tedpocalypse: Zertius, Human Cleric

User avatar
lhx
Site Admin
Posts: 3559
Joined: Aug 6th, '15, 00:05
Location: D/FW Texas
Contact:

Re: Scenario 3 - The Elven Tournament

Postby lhx » May 23rd, '17, 11:40

OOC: If I have inspiration, I'd like to spend it on a miss, assuming disadvantage isn't applying. I would also argue that the rider would need to make an animal handling check to stay mounted on a hit.
Find me on freenode with the username lhx in #texasxtremerpg or professionally at lawjrm.com
LMoP: GM - LMoP combat tracker OotA: GM - OotA combat tracker, Inventory Tedpocalypse: Zertius, Human Cleric

User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 3 - The Elven Tournament

Postby Dry » May 23rd, '17, 12:29

The first javelin hits, sneaking in just between two joints in the armor;
mounted check at advantage (due to military saddle)
1d20+4 => 1, 4 => 5
1d20+4 => 15, 4 => 19
The horse seems well trained, as does the rider, and he easily stays in the saddle.
9 damage to the horse.

Inspiration for Rang's 2nd hit: 1d8 => 1 => 1
That brings the total to 17, which does not hit, the javelin shattering against the horse's armor plating.

Brottor, you're up!

User avatar
shortsinsnow
Posts: 664
Joined: Jul 20th, '16, 18:58
Location: CT, USA

Re: Scenario 3 - The Elven Tournament

Postby shortsinsnow » May 23rd, '17, 12:52

Brottor, realizing what Rang is after, aims his staff at the horse and fires off two bolts of blue-green energy

Repelling Eldritch Blast on the horse #1
1d20+7 => 11, 7 => 18
If at Disadvantage
1d20+7 => 19, 7 => 26
Damage
1d10 => 4 => 4


Repelling Eldritch Blast on the horse #2
1d20+7 => 2, 7 => 9
If at Disadvantage
1d20+7 => 18, 7 => 25
Damage
1d10 => 5 => 5
OotA: Xilvaris Castien




User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 3 - The Elven Tournament

Postby Dry » May 24th, '17, 13:16

The first blast hits, though lightly; the horse takes it square on, and is shoved backwards,
1d20+4 => 3, 4 => 7

1d20+4 => 19, 4 => 23

Once again, he has no problems whatsoever staying in the saddle. At this point, he is going to ride back towards the far side of the arena, taking three arrows from his quiver and launching one at each of you (just going to do this alphabetically):

Against Brottor,
1d20+9 => 19, 9 => 28
a critical hit!
You take
2d8+3 => 6, 6, 3 => 15
points of piercing damage, and must roll a DC12 constitution saving throw (at advantage, due to dwarf),
taking
2d6 => 6, 6 => 12
points of poison damage on failure, (halved to 6 due to dwarf) or half that (3) on success.

Against Delive,
1d20+9 => 15, 9 => 24
... assuming that hits,
You take
1d8+3 => 6, 3 => 9
points of piercing damage, and must roll a DC12 constitution saving throw,
taking
2d6 => 2, 1 => 3
points of poison damage on failure, or half that (1) on success.

Against Rang,
1d20+9 => 9, 9 => 18
... assuming that hits,
You take
1d8+3 => 6, 3 => 9
points of piercing damage, (halved to 4 due to rage) and must roll a DC12 constitution saving throw (at advantage, due to dwarf),
taking
2d6 => 2, 4 => 6
points of poison damage on failure, (halved to 3 due to dwarf) or half that (1) on success.

The horse, while somewhat injured, looks to have been commanded to stay light on its feet, the rider now attentive to incoming ranged attacks, and will be dodging as best it can. (Horse takes the Dodge action, attacks at disadvantage against it).

Map updated.

Delive, it's your turn!

User avatar
shortsinsnow
Posts: 664
Joined: Jul 20th, '16, 18:58
Location: CT, USA

Re: Scenario 3 - The Elven Tournament

Postby shortsinsnow » May 24th, '17, 13:26

Constitution save
1d20+3 => 20, 3 => 23

Advantage
1d20+3 => 5, 3 => 8
OotA: Xilvaris Castien




User avatar
deltreey
Posts: 1231
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 12:05
Location: Florida

Re: Scenario 3 - The Elven Tournament

Postby deltreey » May 24th, '17, 13:32

Constitution Save:
1d20-1 => 20, -1 => 19

if at Disadvantage:
1d20-1 => 6, -1 => 5


Delive fell to the water and cried out in agony at the arrow. In reality, it was a cover for her spellcasting. She pulled out a bit of gum and cast Invisibility, before drawing out her dagger and preparing to activate it's more painful abilities in just a moment.
Deception:
1d20+5 => 5, 5 => 10

If at Disadvantage:
1d20+5 => 3, 5 => 8




User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 3 - The Elven Tournament

Postby Dry » May 24th, '17, 13:39

Rang, it's your turn!

User avatar
lhx
Site Admin
Posts: 3559
Joined: Aug 6th, '15, 00:05
Location: D/FW Texas
Contact:

Re: Scenario 3 - The Elven Tournament

Postby lhx » May 24th, '17, 16:52

Con save for Rang at advantage:

1d20+7 => 12, 7 => 19

1d20+7 => 10, 7 => 17
Find me on freenode with the username lhx in #texasxtremerpg or professionally at lawjrm.com
LMoP: GM - LMoP combat tracker OotA: GM - OotA combat tracker, Inventory Tedpocalypse: Zertius, Human Cleric

User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 3 - The Elven Tournament

Postby Dry » May 24th, '17, 16:58

And with that, everybody made their saves against the poison. Rang, what do you do now?

User avatar
lhx
Site Admin
Posts: 3559
Joined: Aug 6th, '15, 00:05
Location: D/FW Texas
Contact:

Re: Scenario 3 - The Elven Tournament

Postby lhx » May 24th, '17, 16:59

Rang is going to do the same thing again, move north 3 squares to to 10,10, and launch his last two javelins, again at the horse.

Javelin 1 at disadv
1d20+9 => 12, 9 => 21

1d20+9 => 11, 9 => 20

1d6+5 => 6, 5 => 11
piercing if hit

Javelin 2 at disadv
1d20+9 => 17, 9 => 26

1d20+9 => 1, 9 => 10

1d6+5 => 6, 5 => 11
piercing if hit
Find me on freenode with the username lhx in #texasxtremerpg or professionally at lawjrm.com
LMoP: GM - LMoP combat tracker OotA: GM - OotA combat tracker, Inventory Tedpocalypse: Zertius, Human Cleric

User avatar
lhx
Site Admin
Posts: 3559
Joined: Aug 6th, '15, 00:05
Location: D/FW Texas
Contact:

Re: Scenario 3 - The Elven Tournament

Postby lhx » May 24th, '17, 16:59

OOC: WOOOHOO!
Find me on freenode with the username lhx in #texasxtremerpg or professionally at lawjrm.com
LMoP: GM - LMoP combat tracker OotA: GM - OotA combat tracker, Inventory Tedpocalypse: Zertius, Human Cleric

User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 3 - The Elven Tournament

Postby Dry » May 24th, '17, 17:09

Both javelins sail through the air, the second thrown before the first even reaches the target. It hits the horse square in the neck, right in front of the saddle, and the horse topples over,
1d20+3 => 18, 3 => 21
Earmane however takes it in stride, and with a quiet "tch, typical worthless thing" rides it down and hops out of the saddle with ease at the last moment, though he now has the horse between you and him, providing a little additional cover in the otherwise stark arena. The 2nd javelin bounces harmlessly off his armor while this is happening.

Map updated.

Brottor, you're up.

User avatar
shortsinsnow
Posts: 664
Joined: Jul 20th, '16, 18:58
Location: CT, USA

Re: Scenario 3 - The Elven Tournament

Postby shortsinsnow » May 24th, '17, 18:21

Hmm, Brottor wonders the best way to get to the man. Perhaps the direct approach?

<Lady Delive, if I were able to get us adjacent to the target, do you believe you could get him with the potion? It would be easy enough while invisible, I am sure. Whistle if you want me to get us next to him> he thinks to Delive while Rang let's loose his javelins
OotA: Xilvaris Castien




User avatar
deltreey
Posts: 1231
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 12:05
Location: Florida

Re: Scenario 3 - The Elven Tournament

Postby deltreey » May 24th, '17, 18:24

Delive let out a high pitched whistle. Perfect. she thought.




User avatar
shortsinsnow
Posts: 664
Joined: Jul 20th, '16, 18:58
Location: CT, USA

Re: Scenario 3 - The Elven Tournament

Postby shortsinsnow » May 24th, '17, 18:34

Brottor wastes no time. Pulling out the bucket, he waits for her to make contact with it, knowing it'll be invisible as soon as he let's go. He points his staff towards the opponent on the far side and says "Just to my right of Earmane there" and with a pop, the two of them were across the field

(Dimension door to 12,16 and 13,16 respectively for Brottor and Delive)

He let go of the bucket and turned to face the man, staff in hands
OotA: Xilvaris Castien




User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 3 - The Elven Tournament

Postby Dry » May 25th, '17, 00:48

As far as I can see, Delive's hands are currently holding a dagger and a lit torch ((though Invisibility means it's currently not casting light)), with the whip looped over the torch arm too. What I'm getting at is that she definitely doesn't have a free hand to grab the bucket, much less go about the process of attempting to uncork it. So, for now Brottor is going to have it out, and Delive will be able to take it if she frees up her hands somehow, but it's not yet in her possession.

Blinking up close, you can see the effect his armor projects is even worse - it's like trying to stare at a distant mirage, except it's right next to you, and it's uncomfortable, almost painful to try and focus on it. Some part of your brain just outright needs to point your eyes elsewhere, as though it's being commanded not to look, not to give it any attention at all, to put it at best in the corner of your eye, by some external power.

Delive, please roll a stealth check and we'll see if Earmane realises you've also been teleported, as that will decide what happens on his turn, which comes next.

Map updated.

User avatar
deltreey
Posts: 1231
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 12:05
Location: Florida

Re: Scenario 3 - The Elven Tournament

Postby deltreey » May 25th, '17, 09:15

Stealth:
1d20+2 => 13, 2 => 15

If at Disadvantage
1d20+2 => 19, 2 => 21




User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 3 - The Elven Tournament

Postby Dry » May 25th, '17, 10:41

Earmane drops his bow, and draws a longsword as he turns to face Brottor, and whispers something, prompting the blade to catch on fire, bright orange flames. With that, he is going to make 3 attacks against Brottor:

1d20+8 => 12, 8 => 20
hit, for
1d8+4 => 6, 4 => 10
slashing and
2d4 => 4, 4 => 8
fire damage,

1d20+8 => 7, 8 => 15
miss

1d20+8 => 7, 8 => 15
miss

The first hit catches you across the lower arm, the heated metal adding some extra sting but luckily also cauterising the wound immediately - and then when he comes in for some more fatal blows, the half-plate you're wearing holds up against the assault, taking only a couple minor dings.

"It won't be that easy, dwarf!" shouts Earmane as he surges forwards, pressing the assault with 3 more strikes, having adjusted his grip to hold the longsword two-handed (he seems to be lacking a shield):

1d20+8 => 6, 8 => 14
miss

1d20+8 => 15, 8 => 23
hits, for
1d10+4 => 7, 4 => 11
slashing and
2d4 => 1, 1 => 2
fire

1d20+8 => 3, 8 => 11
miss

Moving much quicker than he had the first time, he feints high then lands a low sweeping strike, and you are able to dodge the 3rd hit from the side.

Brottor, let me know if you'd like to use Entropic Ward (remember, it's once only per rest) and I'll roll an extra dice to see if one of the hits would have missed at disadvantage, otherwise that's a total of 31 points of damage against you.

Delive, it's your turn!

User avatar
deltreey
Posts: 1231
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 12:05
Location: Florida

Re: Scenario 3 - The Elven Tournament

Postby deltreey » May 25th, '17, 10:48

Since she had been tasked with the very job she gave Brottor, Delive frustratedly dropped the torch into the water, grabbing the bucket from Brottor, and prying it open with her dagger to prepare to put it on the target.




User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 3 - The Elven Tournament

Postby Dry » May 25th, '17, 10:52

"Oh, there you are!" comes the voice as you let go of the torch, it becoming visible next to you as it hits the water, extinguishing immediately, and starts to slowly drift off eastwards.

Uncorking the bucket is a little difficult without anything to leverage it against, but you manage to do so; the smell that hits you from the brightly-glowing green liquid inside is so utterly acidic, acrid, noxious, that you can hardly breathe while holding it. Roll a constitution saving throw please.

User avatar
deltreey
Posts: 1231
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 12:05
Location: Florida

Re: Scenario 3 - The Elven Tournament

Postby deltreey » May 25th, '17, 11:01

Constitution Save:
1d20-1 => 7, -1 => 6

If at Disadvantage:
1d20-1 => 15, -1 => 14


adding a d8
1d8 => 4 => 4
maybe a 10 will be enough not to drop it, even if Delive wretches.




User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 3 - The Elven Tournament

Postby Dry » May 25th, '17, 11:08

10 total just about scrapes by: you are able to maintain concentration on your invisibility, barely, by calling on some deep reserves of self-control which you feel are pretty much exhausted now.

Rang, you're up!

User avatar
lhx
Site Admin
Posts: 3559
Joined: Aug 6th, '15, 00:05
Location: D/FW Texas
Contact:

Re: Scenario 3 - The Elven Tournament

Postby lhx » May 25th, '17, 11:56

Is a diagonal move still 5'?
Find me on freenode with the username lhx in #texasxtremerpg or professionally at lawjrm.com
LMoP: GM - LMoP combat tracker OotA: GM - OotA combat tracker, Inventory Tedpocalypse: Zertius, Human Cleric

User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 3 - The Elven Tournament

Postby Dry » May 25th, '17, 12:48

Sure.

User avatar
lhx
Site Admin
Posts: 3559
Joined: Aug 6th, '15, 00:05
Location: D/FW Texas
Contact:

Re: Scenario 3 - The Elven Tournament

Postby lhx » May 25th, '17, 13:24

Rang moves three square diagonally to the NE to 13,13, and grabs his only two handaxes. He yells at Earmane in an attempt to distract him, "Hey peasant scum, you fight like a first-day grunt in training...'

He then launches both handaxes at Earmane. (Rang would argue that any cover by the horse is removed or at least reduced, due to the new angle, and that Brottor isn't in the way either).

First Hand axe
1d20+9 => 4, 9 => 13

1d20+9 => 8, 9 => 17
if at disadv (don't know why, we're within 20' now)
1d6+5 => 4, 5 => 9
slashing if hit

Second Hand axe
1d20+9 => 10, 9 => 19

1d20+9 => 15, 9 => 24
if at disadv (don't know why, we're within 20' now)
1d6+5 => 2, 5 => 7
slashing if hit
Find me on freenode with the username lhx in #texasxtremerpg or professionally at lawjrm.com
LMoP: GM - LMoP combat tracker OotA: GM - OotA combat tracker, Inventory Tedpocalypse: Zertius, Human Cleric

User avatar
lhx
Site Admin
Posts: 3559
Joined: Aug 6th, '15, 00:05
Location: D/FW Texas
Contact:

Re: Scenario 3 - The Elven Tournament

Postby lhx » May 25th, '17, 13:27

OOC: Hey, I've been off my damage numbers by one the whole time. They should be 1 higher. So those handaxes should be 1d6+6 instead.
Find me on freenode with the username lhx in #texasxtremerpg or professionally at lawjrm.com
LMoP: GM - LMoP combat tracker OotA: GM - OotA combat tracker, Inventory Tedpocalypse: Zertius, Human Cleric

User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 3 - The Elven Tournament

Postby Dry » May 25th, '17, 14:07

While you are indeed in range, the disadvantage is imposed by the enchantment on Earmane's armor.

The first axe pings harmlessly off his shoulder with a sound that reminds you of a wind chime. The second bites in, dealing 8 points of slashing damage. He does not reply, seeming focused on his attack against Brottor.

Map updated.

...Speaking of whom, it's Brottor's turn!

User avatar
shortsinsnow
Posts: 664
Joined: Jul 20th, '16, 18:58
Location: CT, USA

Re: Scenario 3 - The Elven Tournament

Postby shortsinsnow » May 26th, '17, 09:18

As the blade comes whirling around at Brottor, he institutionally raises his hands, and a wave of heat spreads through the air, causing the man's target to become blurry.

[Entropic ward used against first attack]
OotA: Xilvaris Castien




User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 3 - The Elven Tournament

Postby Dry » May 26th, '17, 10:29

disadvantage attack roll:
1d20+8 => 15, 8 => 23
...the attack still hits.

What would you like to do on your turn?

User avatar
shortsinsnow
Posts: 664
Joined: Jul 20th, '16, 18:58
Location: CT, USA

Re: Scenario 3 - The Elven Tournament

Postby shortsinsnow » May 26th, '17, 11:01

Reeling from the attacks, Brottor steadies himself against his staff. Raising a hand, palm flat to the ground, he gathers shadowy energies that begin to coalesce in the waters below the knight. Suddenly, he shouts, "Ustati!" as a mass of black tentacles erupt from the ground, surrounding the man and filling the area around him.

{Evards Black Tentacles, DC 15 Dex save on turn or restrained and damage as below]
3d6 => 3, 5, 5 => 13
OotA: Xilvaris Castien




User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 3 - The Elven Tournament

Postby Dry » May 26th, '17, 11:24

Dex save:
1d20+3 => 16, 3 => 19


OOC: ok, so just to explain what's happening. He has to make a save because he entered the area for the first time, when Brottor cast the spell.
Immediately after that, it's the start of his turn, so he has to make another save:

Dex save #2:
1d20+3 => 5, 3 => 8


As your tentacles erupt from the ground, Earmane rolls backwards, dodging the first ones that popped up... only to run into a whole wodge more of them, which wrap around him, constricting him. It looks painful. The tentacles also start wrapping around the horse's corpse, and you watch a leg being torn off.

Str check to break out:
1d20+5 => 15, 5 => 20


Earmane however is unphased, and after shaking off the initial shock, takes several determined steps forwards, the tentacles sliding off his armor, apparently unable to get any real purchase.

As he's sloshing his way up to Rang, apparently deciding him the softer target, he says, "A girl in a ball gown, hiding for her life... a dwarf too stupid to wear armor... and an old knight who can't stand without his walking stick, resorting to basic conjurerer's tricks... what a waste of a day. Tell you what. You surrender now, and I will let you keep your pitiful lives. Deal?"

Map updated.

Brottor, you may take an opportunity attack against him as he moves past you.
Delive, you may also take an opportunity attack against him as he's moved past you, though that will break your invisibility. The attack will be neutral (no adv/disadv) and you do receive sneak attack damage due to Brottor's proximity.

Following the opportunity attacks, it will be Delive's turn.

User avatar
shortsinsnow
Posts: 664
Joined: Jul 20th, '16, 18:58
Location: CT, USA

Re: Scenario 3 - The Elven Tournament

Postby shortsinsnow » May 26th, '17, 11:33

Attack roll
1d20+4 => 20, 4 => 24

If with disadvantage
1d20+4 => 4, 4 => 8

Damage roll (staff, 2 handed)
1d8+1 => 3, 1 => 4
OotA: Xilvaris Castien




User avatar
deltreey
Posts: 1231
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 12:05
Location: Florida

Re: Scenario 3 - The Elven Tournament

Postby deltreey » May 26th, '17, 12:04

Delive smiled as Earmane passed her by, letting the opportunity to stab him fade into the past. Instead, as he called out to them, she threw the potion at him.

1d20+2 => 2, 2 => 4 invalid


"Please underestimate us." Delive said with a smile.




User avatar
lhx
Site Admin
Posts: 3559
Joined: Aug 6th, '15, 00:05
Location: D/FW Texas
Contact:

Re: Scenario 3 - The Elven Tournament

Postby lhx » May 26th, '17, 12:24

OOC: Oh lord... :)
Find me on freenode with the username lhx in #texasxtremerpg or professionally at lawjrm.com
LMoP: GM - LMoP combat tracker OotA: GM - OotA combat tracker, Inventory Tedpocalypse: Zertius, Human Cleric

User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 3 - The Elven Tournament

Postby Dry » May 26th, '17, 12:41

Brottor, he bats your staff away as if it were nothing.
Delive, the liquid splashes against his left shoulder and side, and into the water around him as most of it misses, though in either case it doesn't seem to have had any immediate effect. He coughs for a moment, then laughs, "Was that your grand plan, to make me smell unsavoury?"
Everybody, roll an intelligence check please.

User avatar
lhx
Site Admin
Posts: 3559
Joined: Aug 6th, '15, 00:05
Location: D/FW Texas
Contact:

Re: Scenario 3 - The Elven Tournament

Postby lhx » May 26th, '17, 12:43

Ahh the INT check; ever Rang's strong suit ;)

1d20-1 => 16, -1 => 15
Find me on freenode with the username lhx in #texasxtremerpg or professionally at lawjrm.com
LMoP: GM - LMoP combat tracker OotA: GM - OotA combat tracker, Inventory Tedpocalypse: Zertius, Human Cleric

User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 3 - The Elven Tournament

Postby Dry » May 26th, '17, 12:44

Rang, this stuff, whatever it is, touches a certain memory in you, of highly combustible materials used in sieges. Dangerous stuff, and easily set aflame...
((the others also realise this on a 15-plus roll))

User avatar
deltreey
Posts: 1231
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 12:05
Location: Florida

Re: Scenario 3 - The Elven Tournament

Postby deltreey » May 26th, '17, 12:52

Intelligence:
1d20+2 => 19, 2 => 21




User avatar
lhx
Site Admin
Posts: 3559
Joined: Aug 6th, '15, 00:05
Location: D/FW Texas
Contact:

Re: Scenario 3 - The Elven Tournament

Postby lhx » May 26th, '17, 12:52

Can I yell this info out or need to wait until my actual turn? Also, can Rang tell if it's floating on the surface of the water like it could still ignite?
Find me on freenode with the username lhx in #texasxtremerpg or professionally at lawjrm.com
LMoP: GM - LMoP combat tracker OotA: GM - OotA combat tracker, Inventory Tedpocalypse: Zertius, Human Cleric

User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 3 - The Elven Tournament

Postby Dry » May 26th, '17, 12:55

You can (speech is a free action though keep it short) and it does appear to be floating, though not like oil, but like a thicker liquid on the surface of a thinner one - the two are mixing, just slowly.

User avatar
shortsinsnow
Posts: 664
Joined: Jul 20th, '16, 18:58
Location: CT, USA

Re: Scenario 3 - The Elven Tournament

Postby shortsinsnow » May 26th, '17, 12:58

Intelligence Roll

1d20+1 => 12, 1 => 13
OotA: Xilvaris Castien




User avatar
deltreey
Posts: 1231
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 12:05
Location: Florida

Re: Scenario 3 - The Elven Tournament

Postby deltreey » May 26th, '17, 13:28

Delive's invisibility was fading from the attack, she was standing in a very wet gown, staring at a very dangerous man with a very big smile on her face.

"Next time, be a better thief." She said, as she cast a spell.

Casting Prestidigitation to ignite the oil.




User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 3 - The Elven Tournament

Postby Dry » May 26th, '17, 13:30

As you're using the spell offensively, mid-combat, please make a ranged spell attack roll to accompany the action.

User avatar
deltreey
Posts: 1231
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 12:05
Location: Florida

Re: Scenario 3 - The Elven Tournament

Postby deltreey » May 26th, '17, 13:32

Spell Attack Roll:
1d20+5 => 6, 5 => 11

at Disadvantage:
1d20+5 => 9, 5 => 14




User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 3 - The Elven Tournament

Postby Dry » May 26th, '17, 13:36

Just to be clear, where were you aiming it, at him or at the liquid in the water?

User avatar
deltreey
Posts: 1231
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 12:05
Location: Florida

Re: Scenario 3 - The Elven Tournament

Postby deltreey » May 26th, '17, 13:38

Delive has seen how tough this guy is. She would not take the risk of trying to attack him directly. Always using the environment to her advantage, she'd be targeting the liquid in the water that is as close to him as possible.




User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 3 - The Elven Tournament

Postby Dry » May 26th, '17, 13:50

Okay, in that case, I'm going to say the water has a standard stationary-object AC of 5, plus a random amount for how heavily it's mixed. So you have to beat
1d10+5 => 2, 5 => 7
with your roll for it to catch. ...which it does. Spectacularly.

Green flames leap up a good 10 feet into the air, and the water immediately starts to boil, throwing up a massive cloud of steam. As you are all so close, everyone takes
2d10 => 6, 10 => 16
points of damage as the superheated vapours practically explode outwards over you.

Because the fire was not directly on his person, Earmane gets to attempt to dodge out of the way, diving for the water on the other side:
Dex save:
1d20+3 => 2, 3 => 5
...which he fails. Spectacularly.
In attempting to dive away from the fire, he took his mind off his flaming sword for a moment, and allowed it to pass near the opposite side of his body, which had been splashed in the liquid. The effect was immediate. A devastatingly powerful green fire sprouted at his shoulder, and proceeded to cascade over the rest of him. The water in the viscinity is burned away. His screams of outright agony don't last long. Very soon there is just the outline of a human, armor melted into the ground, fire still too hot for water to wash it away. You all stand stunned, as several rays of frost are fired from the watchers' corner to try and put it out, to no avail. It just keeps burning, burning.... the smell is utterly vile. Brimstone and charred flesh. You move away, and quickly.

We are no longer in combat initiative.
Brottor please roll a DC10 concentration check for Evard's Black Tentacles if you wish to continue maintaining the spell.

User avatar
lhx
Site Admin
Posts: 3559
Joined: Aug 6th, '15, 00:05
Location: D/FW Texas
Contact:

Re: Scenario 3 - The Elven Tournament

Postby lhx » May 26th, '17, 14:00

And I didn't even get to swing my maul!

Rang goes to retrieve any unbroken javelins and hand axes.
Find me on freenode with the username lhx in #texasxtremerpg or professionally at lawjrm.com
LMoP: GM - LMoP combat tracker OotA: GM - OotA combat tracker, Inventory Tedpocalypse: Zertius, Human Cleric

User avatar
deltreey
Posts: 1231
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 12:05
Location: Florida

Re: Scenario 3 - The Elven Tournament

Postby deltreey » May 26th, '17, 14:04

Delive dropped to a knee amidst the smokey mass of death, vomiting through tears caused mostly by the sting of heat, but also by the actions she had just taken.

She was coughing too hard to speak, but her mind was focused on one name. Damnit Orlov!




User avatar
shortsinsnow
Posts: 664
Joined: Jul 20th, '16, 18:58
Location: CT, USA

Re: Scenario 3 - The Elven Tournament

Postby shortsinsnow » May 26th, '17, 14:07

Brottor willingly releases concentration on the tentacular spell, and proceeds to wade through the water away from the flames and towards their stairs
OotA: Xilvaris Castien




User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 3 - The Elven Tournament

Postby Dry » May 26th, '17, 14:11

Rang, you're able to retreive a single javelin, and one handaxe - the rest destroyed by either the flames, or the black tentacles.

As you do that and start make your way towards the exit, a projected image of Kalentr appears, and says, "I suppose I should congratulate you on your victory. Please, vacate the arena. We will debrief over breakfast." It vanishes.

User avatar
deltreey
Posts: 1231
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 12:05
Location: Florida

Re: Scenario 3 - The Elven Tournament

Postby deltreey » May 26th, '17, 14:20

After a moment to calm herself, Delive stood and walked toward the exit, taking one last look at the corpse before leaving the arena.




User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 3 - The Elven Tournament

Postby Dry » May 26th, '17, 14:22

You notice the green flames very barely start to turn very slightly yellower, but otherwise there's no change - at this rate there won't even be any dust to scatter, nevermind bones to bury. The water level has started to rise, too, and as the three of you reach the stairs, it's already a good two feet high, and climbing - though it seems to have no effect on the fire, which just powers right through it.

User avatar
lhx
Site Admin
Posts: 3559
Joined: Aug 6th, '15, 00:05
Location: D/FW Texas
Contact:

Re: Scenario 3 - The Elven Tournament

Postby lhx » May 26th, '17, 14:23

Rang picks up the handaxe and javelin. If they pass back through the armory, he's going to grab 3 more replacement javelins and one more handaxe.

He sees brottor looks quite injured so he hurries over to him and gives him a hand getting out of the arena. "Some fight huh? Still think that was the right choice?"
Find me on freenode with the username lhx in #texasxtremerpg or professionally at lawjrm.com
LMoP: GM - LMoP combat tracker OotA: GM - OotA combat tracker, Inventory Tedpocalypse: Zertius, Human Cleric

User avatar
shortsinsnow
Posts: 664
Joined: Jul 20th, '16, 18:58
Location: CT, USA

Re: Scenario 3 - The Elven Tournament

Postby shortsinsnow » May 26th, '17, 20:13

Brottor wheezes a bit as he climbs the stair, and takes Rangs arm happily, saying "Eh, who knows. Likely he would have murdered his opponent that we replaced, and perhaps many opponents afterwards, though he might not have made it all the way to the end. What I do know is that we have completed one of our many and growing tasks, and that is something to be happy for,"

"And my apologies, My lady. I am sure I interfered a well thought out plan you had. I...I suppose I thought you had a better chance of making contact with that...substance, than I would, especially were I better able to hold him back,"

When they get back to the armory, he, with whatever help he can get, removes his half plate armor, and instead of replacing it with his breastplate, decides instead to cast mage armor. He could use the break from it's burden, and perhaps let his woulds breath a little in his now looser travel clothes. He will ask a guard around if he can return to his room before the breakfast meeting.
OotA: Xilvaris Castien




User avatar
lhx
Site Admin
Posts: 3559
Joined: Aug 6th, '15, 00:05
Location: D/FW Texas
Contact:

Re: Scenario 3 - The Elven Tournament

Postby lhx » May 26th, '17, 20:56

Rang isn't as polite as Brottor, he pushily asks a guard point blank where all of them can get healing services.
Find me on freenode with the username lhx in #texasxtremerpg or professionally at lawjrm.com
LMoP: GM - LMoP combat tracker OotA: GM - OotA combat tracker, Inventory Tedpocalypse: Zertius, Human Cleric

User avatar
deltreey
Posts: 1231
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 12:05
Location: Florida

Re: Scenario 3 - The Elven Tournament

Postby deltreey » May 26th, '17, 23:02

Delive yawned as the others approached, and joined them as they started pestering guards, following quietly behind, examining the damage done to her very expensive dress by the arena and its combat.

"Everything works as it should in the end. No plan survives contact with the enemy." The last bit was clearly said from memory, as if a nursery rhyme she had heard as a child.




User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 3 - The Elven Tournament

Postby Dry » May 29th, '17, 16:11

Making your way back inside, the door at the far end of the armoury, the one you'd initially entered through, is ajar and a soldier is waiting for you. He happily stands by while Brottor takes care of the armor and Rang replenishes his ammunition. To the question of returning to rooms, you are told, "The council debriefing is always immediately after the match, while it is most fresh in your mind. Please, as soon as you are ready, follow this way." Is there anything else you'd like to do here before proceeding?

User avatar
lhx
Site Admin
Posts: 3559
Joined: Aug 6th, '15, 00:05
Location: D/FW Texas
Contact:

Re: Scenario 3 - The Elven Tournament

Postby lhx » May 29th, '17, 16:20

Rang looks to see if there are any healing potions in the armory, and if so, takes them to Brottor. He's looking quite injured.
Find me on freenode with the username lhx in #texasxtremerpg or professionally at lawjrm.com
LMoP: GM - LMoP combat tracker OotA: GM - OotA combat tracker, Inventory Tedpocalypse: Zertius, Human Cleric

User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 3 - The Elven Tournament

Postby Dry » May 29th, '17, 16:22

The only potions are those as previously described, none of which seemed especially relevant to healing.

User avatar
lhx
Site Admin
Posts: 3559
Joined: Aug 6th, '15, 00:05
Location: D/FW Texas
Contact:

Re: Scenario 3 - The Elven Tournament

Postby lhx » May 29th, '17, 17:12

Rang says with authority, "Please have 3 greater healing potions sent to the debriefing. I'm sure it will allow you to get more information from us. Otherwise, I don't intend to speak."
Find me on freenode with the username lhx in #texasxtremerpg or professionally at lawjrm.com
LMoP: GM - LMoP combat tracker OotA: GM - OotA combat tracker, Inventory Tedpocalypse: Zertius, Human Cleric

User avatar
deltreey
Posts: 1231
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 12:05
Location: Florida

Re: Scenario 3 - The Elven Tournament

Postby deltreey » May 29th, '17, 18:51

Delive said "Mending services would be in order. This dress is very expensive."

She then followed his escort toward the briefing.




User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 3 - The Elven Tournament

Postby Dry » May 30th, '17, 06:10

As he leads you to the right and looping back around towards the arena, the elven soldier, who looks about the same as all the others, says, "Your injuries are not life-threatening, and can therefore wait until after the debrief, at which point you are welcome to stop by the infirmary." You would start to notice that he has a slightly different accent to most of the other elves - while it's still the same flowing, melodic language, some of the inflections are hitting in different places, and so forth. Basically the sort of variation you'd get from city to city, or from different parts of a larger city. Just a curiosity, really.

It's not long before you reach a well-appointed dining hall, unquestionably more elegant than where you'd taken dinner: there are tapestries on the walls, though they are embroidered in abstract, geometric shapes of blue swirls and lines fading to green from top to bottom, evoking the vague image of sky over fertile land. Lighting comes from a mixture of chandeliers - burning real candles, judging by the soot stains on the ceiling - and small skylights in between them. Breakfast is already laid out - a selection of game birds, freshly baked breads and pitchers of wine. The table is long and narrow, and you see Kalentr and two other elves, one old, male, and one young, female, on his right and left, respectively. The three of them stand as you enter.

"Once again, congratulations on your victory. My friends are Venmunor, and Era." he introduces them in turn, "Please, have a seat. We have many questions. The first being," he turns to Brottor, "who exactly taught you to draw upon the long-forbidden power of the precursors?" His demeanor is significantly warmer and more relaxed than at your previous meeting.

User avatar
shortsinsnow
Posts: 664
Joined: Jul 20th, '16, 18:58
Location: CT, USA

Re: Scenario 3 - The Elven Tournament

Postby shortsinsnow » May 30th, '17, 07:07

Brottor sighs, and then hands the breast plate to the soldier, "Would you at least be so kind as to get an old man's armor back to his room? I would hope to not need it while in the company of your fine security," He says, playing up the pitiful a bit. Although after that fight, everything hurts enough to make him feel rather pitiful. Still, a bit of magic later and he feels well enough that he can walk with his staff without Rang's assistance.

As they sit, Brottor grabs a decanter or wine and pours himself a glass, drinking it more or less entirely before speaking. "A pleasure to meet you both, I'm sure. And I presume that you mean the tentacles? Well, I wouldn't say taught, so much as they just kind of happen. It's taken me years of study to master even the simplest of minor spells without...that happening. If anything, you should as me how I learned to NOT do that. Imagine attempting to evoke a fireball, and instead, those things just show up? It's like that, more or less. I can do similar effects, but you said not to obscure vision within the arena, and this one conjuration would have done just that," he finishes by ripping a chunk of bread off of a loaf and grabbing a ripe-looking apple

While he picks at his bread, he thinks over to Delive, <I presume you would like to take lead on this discussion, so I will attempt to give answers only out of necessity>
OotA: Xilvaris Castien




User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 3 - The Elven Tournament

Postby Dry » May 30th, '17, 07:20

Venmunor turns and stares at Kalentr for a moment. They appear to be communicating. Kalentr looks disappointed. "A natural, then. We've dealt with your kind before. I'm afriad you won't be of much use to us. Those with your... affliction, are never able to truly formulate their grasp on the arcana in a way that any normal mage might use." He turns to Era, and says, "Would you go check again?" She nods, and vanishes, using the now-familiar Dimension Door spell. Back to the group, he says, "You really did a number on young Earmane. Care to explain what that was?"

User avatar
lhx
Site Admin
Posts: 3559
Joined: Aug 6th, '15, 00:05
Location: D/FW Texas
Contact:

Re: Scenario 3 - The Elven Tournament

Postby lhx » May 30th, '17, 08:40

Rang is sitting with his arms crossed, lips pursed.
Find me on freenode with the username lhx in #texasxtremerpg or professionally at lawjrm.com
LMoP: GM - LMoP combat tracker OotA: GM - OotA combat tracker, Inventory Tedpocalypse: Zertius, Human Cleric

User avatar
deltreey
Posts: 1231
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 12:05
Location: Florida

Re: Scenario 3 - The Elven Tournament

Postby deltreey » May 30th, '17, 08:42

Delive reached over and placed a hand on Brottor's shoulder gently.

"Rang, could you please give our new friends the eye-gem I gave you?"




User avatar
lhx
Site Admin
Posts: 3559
Joined: Aug 6th, '15, 00:05
Location: D/FW Texas
Contact:

Re: Scenario 3 - The Elven Tournament

Postby lhx » May 30th, '17, 09:05

Rang pulls out the gem, sets it on the table, and returns his arms to a crossed position, all without opening his lips.
Find me on freenode with the username lhx in #texasxtremerpg or professionally at lawjrm.com
LMoP: GM - LMoP combat tracker OotA: GM - OotA combat tracker, Inventory Tedpocalypse: Zertius, Human Cleric

User avatar
deltreey
Posts: 1231
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 12:05
Location: Florida

Re: Scenario 3 - The Elven Tournament

Postby deltreey » May 30th, '17, 09:10

"This gem was the eye of a creature that came through a rift in the forest from what Brottor has surmised is a place filled with demons. Are you sending the ambassador or not?"

Delive spoke pointedly, then sat back and waited for a reply.




User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 3 - The Elven Tournament

Postby Dry » May 30th, '17, 09:18

It is Venmunor who replies, "A fire gem? Please! We dozens of the things! Do not get sidetracked, young miss. I understand you humans have short attention spans, but do try to focus. Politics can wait. Just what was that substance you used to so violently dispatch your opponent? Do you even know what you've done?"

User avatar
deltreey
Posts: 1231
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 12:05
Location: Florida

Re: Scenario 3 - The Elven Tournament

Postby deltreey » May 30th, '17, 09:26

Delive rolled her eyes. "This formality is a waste of time. You know that everything that transpired in there was planned weeks ago. Only an idiot would think the battle happens on the battlefield. It happens over drinks with maps and little troop figurines. We killed Earmane because that's what we came here to do. We don't know or care what was in that stupid bucket."

Delive wanted to stop before the last sentence, but in the interest of moving things along, she gave up more information.




User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 3 - The Elven Tournament

Postby Dry » May 30th, '17, 09:35

"Pfah! Don't you understand the point of these trials is to-" at that moment, Era pops back, directly into her seat, giving the impression she's almost... showing off. "It's been confirmed," is all she says.

Kalentr looks at her with a raised eyebrow, and she just nods. At that, he leans forward, and almost whispers, "See here, girl, what you've done is not just kill that young man. That fire was more than simply a physical flame. It extended past the borders of this reality, into the ethereal plane and perhaps even beyond that. You haven't just killed him, you've utterly destroyed him. There isn't even a soul left to resurrect." He leans back, and after a short pause, "How are we to learn the details of his armor now? It was a fine thing, resisting most spells - even those dark tentacles of yours were hardly able to hold him down, yet they tore his horse apart with ease. A great secret has surely been lost today, for we have no record of such armament existing anywhere else."

User avatar
deltreey
Posts: 1231
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 12:05
Location: Florida

Re: Scenario 3 - The Elven Tournament

Postby deltreey » May 30th, '17, 09:38

Delive laughed, hard. "You morons really need to send the stupid ambassador." She said through tear-filled eyes, snuffing away the laughter. "Why do you think we were sent to kill him?"




User avatar
lhx
Site Admin
Posts: 3559
Joined: Aug 6th, '15, 00:05
Location: D/FW Texas
Contact:

Re: Scenario 3 - The Elven Tournament

Postby lhx » May 30th, '17, 11:35

Rang asks coldly, "Are we through here?"
Find me on freenode with the username lhx in #texasxtremerpg or professionally at lawjrm.com
LMoP: GM - LMoP combat tracker OotA: GM - OotA combat tracker, Inventory Tedpocalypse: Zertius, Human Cleric

User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 3 - The Elven Tournament

Postby Dry » May 31st, '17, 06:26

Taking a long look at the rather uncomposed human girl, with a look of utter contempt, Venmunor replies, "It would appear we are. Senda will show you to the infirmary if you require it, or otherwise back to your rooms, that you might pack for your return journey." The three of them stand up and move towards a door opposite the one you came in.

User avatar
shortsinsnow
Posts: 664
Joined: Jul 20th, '16, 18:58
Location: CT, USA

Re: Scenario 3 - The Elven Tournament

Postby shortsinsnow » May 31st, '17, 07:00

As every one stands from the table, Brottor, gritting through the pain he is enduring, says, "Kalentr, I do believe there is some work to be done, and I believe that together we can achieve it. However," he says, looking between Delive and Venmunor, "hummingbirds are attracted to nectar, rather than vinegar. We understand the goal of this tournament, and we wish you a favorable outcome, as it would benefit us all should you find what you are looking for. An ambassador with Katan could add new depth to your search, at the expense of just a few personnel. Oh, and before we depart, there is the matter of my sword to deal with."
OotA: Xilvaris Castien




User avatar
deltreey
Posts: 1231
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 12:05
Location: Florida

Re: Scenario 3 - The Elven Tournament

Postby deltreey » May 31st, '17, 09:03

"Don't forget the gem." Delive instructed Rang before casting mending on her outfit as the elves were leaving. "It looks like the elves are so afraid to show their hand that even when encountering agents of the one ally they've wanted for centuries with the demonstrated capability to slaughter demons on their behalf, they'd rather get upset and go write in their diaries."

She added with a sigh after the elves had left, "Which means that we're probably on our own in this one."





Return to “Tales of Katan”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests