Scenario 4 - The Secrets of the Woods

User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 4 - The Secrets of the Woods

Postby Dry » Jun 23rd, '17, 10:31

Sorry, weapon swapping mechanics are a bit complex:
You can stow your crossbow as your free object interaction for the round, or drop it on the ground and draw your sword, but not both stow it and draw sword. You can draw a single melee weapon as part of an attack action so if you stow your crossbow now, you can pull out your sword next round when you go to attack, just missing out on having it for an opportunity attack in between should there be the option for one.
Equipping a shield also takes a full action to strap it to your arm...

By 8/13 are you doing y,x coords, as in vertical first? You mean 13,8 below the tree? 8,13 is inside the Warden's space so yoh can't stop there. Also, the stream is difficult terrain meaning it costs double movement i.e. 10ft/square to move through any of its spaces.

User avatar
skyetashi
Posts: 51
Joined: Mar 31st, '17, 17:08

Re: Scenario 4 - The Secrets of the Woods

Postby skyetashi » Jun 23rd, '17, 15:29

yeah i meant below the tree, okay i'll stow the cross bow away then for now and draw melee next turn then ))
Tales of Katan: Andraste

User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 4 - The Secrets of the Woods

Postby Dry » Jun 23rd, '17, 18:16

Map updated.
The water elementals all move away from the cave entrance, using the river to speed their watery forms along.
Nayveen, you may take an opportunity melee attack against either #2 or #4 as they move past you.

Water elemental #1
Whelm recharge:
1d6 => 3 => 3
nope.
It performs 2 slam attacks against Nayveen (currently 18 AC as shield is equipped):
Attack #1:
1d20+7 => 10, 7 => 17

misses
Attack #2:
1d20+7 => 15, 7 => 22

hits, for
2d8+4 => 8, 4, 4 => 16
bludgeoning damage.

Water elemental #2
Whelm recharge:
1d6 => 3 => 3
nope.
It performs 2 slam attacks against Andraste (currently 18 AC as shield not equipped):
Attack #1:
1d20+7 => 15, 7 => 22

hits, for
2d8+4 => 6, 5, 4 => 15
bludgeoning damage.
Attack #2:
1d20+7 => 4, 7 => 11

misses

Water elemental #3
Whelm recharge:
1d6 => 6 => 6
pass.
It performs 2 slam attacks against the Warden (17 AC):
Attack #1:
1d20+7 => 8, 7 => 15

misses
Attack #2:
1d20+7 => 4, 7 => 11

misses

Water elemental #4
Whelm recharge:
1d6 => 1 => 1
nope.
It performs 2 slam attacks against the Warden:
Attack #1:
1d20+7 => 13, 7 => 20

hits, for
2d8+4 => 6, 6, 4 => 16
bludgeoning damage.
Attack #2:
1d20+7 => 1, 7 => 8

misses

The warden's elemental form looks to be on its last legs.
Nayveen, it's your turn ((though if you are taking the reaction attack please do that first)).

Namaphry
Posts: 736
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 14:02

Re: Scenario 4 - The Secrets of the Woods

Postby Namaphry » Jun 23rd, '17, 19:52

Nayveen blocks the first attack with her wooden shield, staggers back as the blow was much harder than she anticipated, and just as the elemental moves to strike again, finishes casting a spell with her other hand, which raises an invisible barrier that just barely fends off the second blow. (Reaction used to cast Shield, instead! Misses AC 23.)

After taking her step back, while she and the elemental consider each other, she reaches down as if she might draw her scimitar, but instead her fingers move again and she steps sideways to ensure all four elementals are in her field of vision, so she can send one magic missile at each of them.

Elemental 1:
1d4+1 => 2, 1 => 3

Elemental 2:
1d4+1 => 3, 1 => 4

Elemental 3:
1d4+1 => 2, 1 => 3

Elemental 4:
1d4+1 => 3, 1 => 4

User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 4 - The Secrets of the Woods

Postby Dry » Jun 26th, '17, 16:24

All four of your magic missiles hit true, striking into the cores of the elementals, giving them brief pause.
As this is happening, another roar comes from within the cave; this time louder, closer, angrier.

The elves let loose arrows, two each:

E1 against #4, repositioning behind a further tree as he does so:
1d20+6 => 20, 6 => 26
crit!
damage:
2d8+3 => 2, 1, 3 => 6
piercing
1d20+6 => 13, 6 => 19
hit
damage:
1d8+3 => 4, 3 => 7
piercing

E2 against #4
1d20+6 => 7, 6 => 13
miss
1d20+6 => 20, 6 => 26
crit!
damage:
2d8+3 => 1, 1, 3 => 5
piercing

E3 against #2
1d20+6 => 19, 6 => 25
crit!
damage:
2d8+3 => 2, 8, 3 => 13
piercing
1d20+6 => 15, 6 => 21
hit
damage:
1d8+3 => 3, 3 => 6
piercing

The warden, seeing the archers finally getting their act together, nods approvingly, and promptly dives under the ground, disappearing from view and leaving no trace of her passage.

Andraste, it's your turn! (tracker is updated with map/status)

User avatar
skyetashi
Posts: 51
Joined: Mar 31st, '17, 17:08

Re: Scenario 4 - The Secrets of the Woods

Postby skyetashi » Jun 27th, '17, 09:44

Andraste takes a step back to H8-V14 and puts on her shield
Tales of Katan: Andraste

User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 4 - The Secrets of the Woods

Postby Dry » Jun 27th, '17, 12:53

By stepping away you will be open to an opportunity attack. Are you sure that's what you wish to do? Are you putting on the shield before or after moving away?

User avatar
skyetashi
Posts: 51
Joined: Mar 31st, '17, 17:08

Re: Scenario 4 - The Secrets of the Woods

Postby skyetashi » Jun 28th, '17, 13:33

As being informed on how things work, andraste will stay put and put the shield on ))
Tales of Katan: Andraste

User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 4 - The Secrets of the Woods

Postby Dry » Jun 28th, '17, 13:42

Andraste, you are able to strap your shield to your arm without issue.

Water elemental #1
Recharge:
1d6 => 1 => 1
nope
Makes 2 slam attacks against Nayveen:
1d20+7 => 5, 7 => 12
miss
1d20+7 => 6, 7 => 13
miss

Water elemental #2
Recharge:
1d6 => 4 => 4
yes
Is going to move forwards and attempt to Whelm Andraste: Str save for Andraste
1d20+6 => 1, 6 => 7
this does not pass.
Andraste, you are now engulfed by the water elemental, suffering
2d8+4 => 1, 5, 4 => 10
bludgeoning damage and are currently drowning, meaning you have to escape in 3 rounds (your Con modifier) or fall unconcious with 0 HP.

Water elemental #3
Nayveen, with the Warden vanished, this elemental will move up and attempt to Whelm also: Str save for Nayveen:
1d20+4 => 12, 4 => 16
success! You resist and are pushed out of the elemental's space.

Water elemental #4
Recharge:
1d6 => 3 => 3
nope
This elemental moves up to E1 and makes 2 slam attacks:
1d20+7 => 18, 7 => 25
hit, for
2d8+4 => 5, 3, 4 => 12
damage
1d20+7 => 20, 7 => 27
crit, for
4d8+4 => 2, 7, 8, 5, 4 => 26
damage.
The archer falls unconcious under this vicious assault!

Nayveen, it's your turn. You can just about see that Andraste is currently engulfed in water, swallowed up by the elemental, and is struggling fiercely but unsable to break free at the moment.

Namaphry
Posts: 736
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 14:02

Re: Scenario 4 - The Secrets of the Woods

Postby Namaphry » Jun 28th, '17, 15:09

Nayveen is very unhappy with her current position, but retreating from it seems like too much cowardice. She casts another magic missile spell, and this time, three missiles strike the elemental that's holding Andraste, while the fourth strikes the elemental that just overran the archer.

vs Elemental 2:
3d4+3 => 2, 4, 2, 3 => 11

vs Elemental 4:
1d4+1 => 2, 1 => 3

User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 4 - The Secrets of the Woods

Postby Dry » Jun 28th, '17, 17:08

Your missiles hit well, narrowly missing Andraste as they strike into the core of the elemental engulfing her.

At that moment, a large, hulking creature emerges from the cave; it has dark green skin fading to brown at the ends of multiple ridges across its back, a lizard- or frog-like face, with a mass of sharp teeth in a wide mouth, and an incredible amount of musculature all over. It looks like it could just as easily charge forwards on all fours, though currently it stands upright. You can immediately see its left arm hangs limp, looking actually rather frozen, glistening with white frost in fact; the handle of a sword, from crossguard to pommel, is poking out from its bicep. It looks like it's charging towards Nayveen but it barrels right past her, slamming into water elemental #1 and attacking it with its one good arm:
1d20+7 => 12, 7 => 19
hit, for
2d6+4 => 6, 6, 4 => 16
slashing damage, whereupon it continues the assault with a bite,
1d20+7 => 5, 7 => 12
but is unable to find any purchase on the watery form.
The stench of the creature is utterly repulsive as it looms over you, Nayveen.

The elven archers look around, and E3 hastily fires at elemental 4:
1d20+6 => 19, 6 => 25
crit!
for
2d8+3 => 8, 6, 3 => 17
piercing
1d20+6 => 17, 6 => 23
hit
for
1d8+3 => 5, 3 => 8
piercing
landing 2 very solid hits out of anger, while E2 runs over and applies a healing salve to E1, stabilising them, before drawing a sword and turning to face the elemental.

The Warden suddenly erupts from the opposite riverbank, launching into the demon, slamming it twice:
1d20+8 => 1, 8 => 9
miss,
1d20+8 => 14, 8 => 22
hit, for
2d8+5 => 4, 8, 5 => 17
bludgeoning damage, though its thick, almost boney hide seems to absorb some of the impact.

Andraste, it's your turn! You are currently grappled, restrained, and drowning (you have 3 turns of breath left, including this one). Your options are to attempt to break the grapple (athletics or acrobatics check, DC 14) or to attack the elemental from within (at disadvantage). What do you do? ((tracker updated))

User avatar
skyetashi
Posts: 51
Joined: Mar 31st, '17, 17:08

Re: Scenario 4 - The Secrets of the Woods

Postby skyetashi » Jun 30th, '17, 14:06

Andraste was caught off gaurd as the elemental tried to envelop her, and as she failed to escape she started holding her breath as she tried to power her way out.
1d20+6 => 4, 6 => 10
Tales of Katan: Andraste

User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 4 - The Secrets of the Woods

Postby Dry » Jun 30th, '17, 14:40

Water elemental 1
Recharge:
1d6 => 2 => 2
nope
Makes 2 slam attacks, one against the Warden and one against the demon:
1d20+7 => 5, 7 => 12
miss
1d20+7 => 6, 7 => 13
miss

Water elemental 2
Recharge:
1d6 => 2 => 2
nope
Andraste, you take
2d8+4 => 7, 2, 4 => 13
bludgeoning damage from the elemental's surprisingly powerful internal currents crushing you while it has you trapped within it.

Water elemental 3
Recharge:
1d6 => 5 => 5
yes
Moves forwards, straight past Nayveen, and attempts to engulf the demonic creature within just like the other one did to Andraste:
Demon saving throw:
1d20+7 => 7, 7 => 14
failure!
Takes
2d8+4 => 4, 2, 4 => 10
bludgeoning damage.

Water elemental 4
Recharge:
1d6 => 1 => 1
nope
Makes 2 slam attacks against E2:
1d20+7 => 9, 7 => 16
hit, for
2d8+4 => 7, 5, 4 => 16
bludgeoning damage
1d20+7 => 2, 7 => 9
miss

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nayveen, it's your turn!

Namaphry
Posts: 736
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 14:02

Re: Scenario 4 - The Secrets of the Woods

Postby Namaphry » Jun 30th, '17, 14:57

Nayveen draws her rapier, casts to mark the demon as her target, and quickly strikes--maybe a silvered weapon is good to fight creatures like this? She doesn't want to disturb the elemental while it had the demon engulfed, so there was no need to use her scimitar, like she'd planned on for that!

Rapier attack:
1d20+5 => 5, 5 => 10

Advantage from target restrained:
1d20+5 => 19, 5 => 24

If hit:
1d8+1d8+1d6+2 => 1, 3, 2, 2 => 8

User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 4 - The Secrets of the Woods

Postby Dry » Jun 30th, '17, 15:30

You actually have advantage without tides of chaos, because the demon is currently both grappled and restrained - the latter grants advantage on all melee attacks against it.

I'm not entirely sure how I'm meant to resolve an attack against a creature inside a water elemental, so I'm just going to say your non-advantaged attack is low enough that it goes right through the water and stabs into the demon, which can't evade and takes the full damage. However, your sword barely pierces into its thickly-armored hide, leaving only a very minor puncture wound, which seeps a little bit of black ichor into the water elemental.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The demon thrashes around in a frienzy, trying to claw the elemental holding it trapped within:
Claw:
1d20+7 => 3, 7 => 10

disadv:
1d20+7 => 7, 7 => 14

its however doesn't quite manage to get any momentum behind its swing, so instead opens its toothy maw and goes for a bite:
Bite:
1d20+7 => 10, 7 => 17

disadv:
1d20+7 => 20, 7 => 27

which seems to do damage, to the tune of
2d10+4 => 5, 8, 4 => 17
piercing, though as before, physical attacks are only moderately successful here.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Elf 2 brushes wet hair out of his eyes as he pulls out a second longsword as it launches into a flurry of attacks against the water elemental next to him:
Attack 1:
1d20+6 => 10, 6 => 16
hit, for
1d8+3 => 8, 3 => 11
slashing damage
Attack 2:
1d20+6 => 13, 6 => 19
hit
1d8+3 => 5, 3 => 8
slashing damage
Attack 3 (offhand):
1d20+6 => 5, 6 => 11
miss
The elf is standing in a defensive posture, trying to keep the elemental's attention off his unconcious friend, though it's evident he can't take too many more hits from it. The elemental is starting to show signs of injury, the water on it not moving quite so viciously as its vital energies begin to deplete.

Elf 3 runs over to Andraste and attempts to pull her out of the elemental:
1d20+3 => 15, 3 => 18
and succeeds! He also pulls out a longsword, dropping his bow on the ground as he does.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The warden also takes a couple swings at the demon held within the water elemental:
Attack 1:
1d20+8 => 4, 8 => 12

Adv:
1d20+8 => 7, 8 => 15

The first hit misses, as she finds her footing in the flowing river, before lining up a much better attack,
Attack 2:
1d20+8 => 16, 8 => 24

Adv:
1d20+8 => 10, 8 => 18

Lands a solid hit, the slam crashing right through the elemental and into the creature, dealing
2d8+5 => 5, 4, 5 => 14
bludgeoning damage to both.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Andraste, it's your turn, as you catch your breath!

User avatar
skyetashi
Posts: 51
Joined: Mar 31st, '17, 17:08

Re: Scenario 4 - The Secrets of the Woods

Postby skyetashi » Jul 1st, '17, 15:17

andraste gasped for breath as she was pulled out and nodded to the elf as she drew her sword to slash at the elemental who had enveloped her.

Attack:
1d20+6 => 16, 6 => 22

Damage:
1d8+6 => 8, 6 => 14
Tales of Katan: Andraste

User avatar
skyetashi
Posts: 51
Joined: Mar 31st, '17, 17:08

Re: Scenario 4 - The Secrets of the Woods

Postby skyetashi » Jul 1st, '17, 17:40

second attack
1d20+6 => 2, 6 => 8

second damage
1d8+6 => 4, 6 => 10
Tales of Katan: Andraste

User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 4 - The Secrets of the Woods

Postby Dry » Jul 3rd, '17, 12:07

Your first attack lands a good slicing hit through the elemental, though the second is barely a glancing blow, deflected by a sudden surge of current pushing the blade aside.

Water elemental 1
Recharge:
1d6 => 6 => 6
yes
Looks rather unsure exactly what to do, now that it sees you attacking the demon. You can see it readying an attack.

Water elemental 2
Recharge:
1d6 => 2 => 2
nope
Slam against Andraste:
1d20+7 => 8, 7 => 15
miss
Slam against E3:
1d20+7 => 19, 7 => 26
hit, for
2d8+4 => 4, 3, 4 => 11
bludgeoning damage

Water elemental 3
Recharge:
1d6 => 4 => 4
nope
Is crushing the demon, which takes
2d8+4 => 4, 8, 4 => 16
bludgeoning damage from the crushing currents within.

Water elemental 4
Recharge:
1d6 => 2 => 2
nope
Makes 2 slam attacks against E2:
1d20+7 => 17, 7 => 24
hit, for
2d8+4 => 8, 4, 4 => 16
bludgeoning damage
1d20+7 => 2, 7 => 9
miss
E2 looks to be on the verge of collapse.

Nayveen, it's your turn!

Namaphry
Posts: 736
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 14:02

Re: Scenario 4 - The Secrets of the Woods

Postby Namaphry » Jul 3rd, '17, 13:26

Although her attacks don't seem to be very effective, Nayveen's not in a hurry to give up already. She tries to stick the demon again with her rapier, still without harming the elemental that's binding it.

Rapier attack:
1d20+5 => 4, 5 => 9

With Advantage:
1d20+5 => 10, 5 => 15

If hit:
1d8+1d8+1d6+2 => 3, 7, 4, 2 => 16

User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 4 - The Secrets of the Woods

Postby Dry » Jul 6th, '17, 15:37

Unfortunately with the buffetting force of the water swirling inside the elemental, your strike is a little off target and hits one of the thick, chitinous parts of the demon's armored hide, dealing no damage whatsoever.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

The demon takes the chance of your proximity to lash out at you:
1d20+7 => 2, 7 => 9

disadv:
1d20+7 => 1, 7 => 8

However the water elemental is holding it firm, and its swipe doesn't even come close to reaching at you.
In anger, it takes another bite at the water around it:
1d20+7 => 10, 7 => 17

disadv
1d20+7 => 9, 7 => 16
which hits,
for
2d10+4 => 10, 10, 4 => 24
piercing damage!
The elemental shudders briefly but holds firm.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Elf 2 mutters a brief prayer, then launches into Ele 4 with a series of quick slashes:
Attack 1:
1d20+6 => 4, 6 => 10

Attack 2:
1d20+6 => 7, 6 => 13

Attack 3 (offhand):
1d20+6 => 8, 6 => 14

However every time they go in for a swing, you can see him wince with pain from the blows he's taken, and the attacks just don't have the sort of power behind them that are required to damage the elemental.

Elf 3, seeing this, nods to Andraste, and runs to help his friend, taking a swipe from the elemental as he does so:
1d20+7 => 8, 7 => 15
however he was ready for it and dodges out of the way easily.
Having run up to Ele4, he also attacks, taking advantage of the elemental being distracted with the elf in front of it:
Attack 1:
1d20+6 => 16, 6 => 22
hit, for
1d8+3 => 2, 3 => 5
slashing,
Attack 2:
1d20+6 => 10, 6 => 16
hit, for
1d8+3 => 2, 3 => 5
slashing,
Attack 3 (offhand):
1d20+6 => 10, 6 => 16
hit, for
1d8 => 1 => 1
slashing.
While the attacks do cut into the elemental and appear to hurt it a bit, it's quickly becoming clear that using bladed weapons against creatures of elemental water isn't the most effective strategy.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

The warden makes 2 more powerful slam attacks against the demon/elemental:
1d20+8 => 9, 8 => 17

adv
1d20+8 => 5, 8 => 13

Which once again solidly deals damage to both, for
2d8+5 => 4, 3, 5 => 12
clobberin' bludgeoning damage!

1d20+8 => 9, 8 => 17

adv
1d20+8 => 8, 8 => 16

and again, for
2d8+5 => 8, 5, 5 => 18
bludgeoning to both!

Both targets are starting to look a little rough under this combined assault.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Andraste, it's your turn!

User avatar
skyetashi
Posts: 51
Joined: Mar 31st, '17, 17:08

Re: Scenario 4 - The Secrets of the Woods

Postby skyetashi » Jul 7th, '17, 22:04

Andraste Quickly moved her blade forwards slashing at the elemental quickly bringing it back again for a second slash, " Yeah i'll handle this one." she commented to the elf as he went to his companions aide.

Attack1
1d20+6 => 18, 6 => 24 invalid
Damage [dice]1d8+6[/dice]
Attack2
1d20+6 => 19, 6 => 25 invalid
Damage [dice]1d8+6[/dice]
Tales of Katan: Andraste

Namaphry
Posts: 736
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 14:02

Re: Scenario 4 - The Secrets of the Woods

Postby Namaphry » Jul 7th, '17, 23:06

Damage
1d8+6 => 2, 6 => 8

Damage
1d8+6 => 1, 6 => 7

User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 4 - The Secrets of the Woods

Postby Dry » Jul 12th, '17, 15:15

You land two good attacks on the elemental! It's starting to also show signs of fatigue.

Water elemental 1
Recharge:
1d6 => 1 => 1
nope
Not wanting to hurt its ally, and seemingly irritated by its own inaction the last round, it makes 2 attacks:
1d20+7 => 19, 7 => 26
against Nayveen, a hit! for
2d8+4 => 8, 5, 4 => 17
bludgeoning damage
1d20+7 => 10, 7 => 17
against the warden, a hit! for
2d8+4 => 3, 5, 4 => 12
bludgeoning damage, and as it does so, you see the rock shatter and turn to dust as it falls off the warden's original elven form, the transformation's durability fully depleted!

Water elemental 2
Recharge:
1d6 => 4 => 4
nope
Slam against Andraste:
1d20+7 => 2, 7 => 9
miss!
1d20+7 => 8, 7 => 15
miss!

Water elemental 3
Recharge:
1d6 => 1 => 1
nope
Is crushing the demon, which takes
2d8+4 => 2, 4, 4 => 10

bludgeoning damage from the crushing currents within.

Water elemental 4
Recharge:
1d6 => 6 => 6
yes, however it doesn't want to move to try and engulf one or the other as that will put it out of reach of whoever it isn't attacking.
Slam against E2:
1d20+7 => 8, 7 => 15
miss!
Slam against E3:
1d20+7 => 1, 7 => 8
miss!

Nayveen, it's your turn!

Namaphry
Posts: 736
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 14:02

Re: Scenario 4 - The Secrets of the Woods

Postby Namaphry » Jul 12th, '17, 16:07

Nayveen sheathes her rapier, and as a bit of a desperate experiment, casts her Shocking Grasp cantrip and tries to grab the sword hilt sticking out of the demon's shoulder. She's running out of options for how to get this fight back under control...

Melee spell attack:
1d20+5 => 11, 5 => 16

With advantage:
1d20+5 => 1, 5 => 6

Damage:
2d8 => 1, 4 => 5

User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 4 - The Secrets of the Woods

Postby Dry » Jul 13th, '17, 11:28

Please roll a dex check at disadvantage as you attempt to grab the sword handle sticking out of the arm of the thrashing demon behing held within a swirling vortex of sentient water...

Namaphry
Posts: 736
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 14:02

Re: Scenario 4 - The Secrets of the Woods

Postby Namaphry » Jul 13th, '17, 11:49

Haha.

With Tides of Chaos to negate disadvantage:
1d20+2 => 20, 2 => 22

User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 4 - The Secrets of the Woods

Postby Dry » Jul 13th, '17, 12:18

Eyeing the sword's hilt, you charge up the electric spell and shove your hand into the elemental; the electricity immediately dissipates into the water, and just for a moment you are able to use this lull in the current to latch onto the handle. However, that wasn't necessarily the best idea, you realise, as now you're almost caught up in the elemental's aquatic embrace, not to mention having placed yourself within swiping distance of the demon. Roll a strength check (also at disadvantage, as there's no way you have anything resembling solid leverage here) to see if you can successfully yank the sword out.

ooc: don't forget your luckstone!

Namaphry
Posts: 736
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 14:02

Re: Scenario 4 - The Secrets of the Woods

Postby Namaphry » Jul 13th, '17, 12:25

That's not good.

Strength check:
1d20+1 => 16, 1 => 17

At disadvantage:
1d20+1 => 19, 1 => 20

User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 4 - The Secrets of the Woods

Postby Dry » Jul 13th, '17, 12:56

Though you have nothing to shove against, you are very much proficient with a sword, and turning around, you allow the momentum of your spin to pull it out and in an arc. Now holding the sword handle in your hand, it feels strangely.... non-magical. The blade is snapped off about 5 inches past the hilt, and there aren't any of the glowing cold runes on it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The demon is thrashing even more wildly, and attempts to break out of the elemental:
1d20+7 => 16, 7 => 23

and succeeds easily; the elemental takes
2d10+4 => 7, 9, 4 => 20
damage from the teeth and claws as the creature frees itself; this, combined with the shock from Nayveen earlier, actually kills the elemental, the water suddenly losing all form and control, and simply falling to the ground in a puddle. The demon snarls at the 2 humanoids near it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The two elves engaged with elemental 4 continue their assault:

Attack 1:
1d20+6 => 12, 6 => 18
hit, for
1d8+3 => 2, 3 => 5
slashing damage
Attack 2:
1d20+6 => 17, 6 => 23
hit, for
1d8+3 => 1, 3 => 4
slashing damage
Offhand:
1d20+6 => 1, 6 => 7
miss

Attack 1:
1d20+6 => 20, 6 => 26
crit, for
2d8+3 => 1, 4, 3 => 8
slashing damage
Attack 2:
1d20+6 => 12, 6 => 18
hit, for
1d8+3 => 7, 3 => 10
slashing damage
Offhand:
1d20+6 => 2, 6 => 8
miss

The combined assault overwhelms the elemental, destroying it completely.
E3 moves over to also make sure E1 is ok, and they seem to be readying their bows.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Con save:
1d20+2 => 19, 2 => 21
succeeds, easily

"Your taint will spread no further, foul demon. Die!" The warden, staff in hand, unleashes a wave of powerful magic at the demon;
Demon's con save:
1d20+8 => 14, 8 => 22
succeeds, but still takes half of
8d8 => 2, 1, 2, 3, 1, 4, 5, 2 => 20
necrotic damage (so, 10).
The demon gives a bark of pain as the colour drains from it slightly, though the spell has not nearly the kind of impact the warden seems to have been hoping for.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Andraste, you're up!

Namaphry
Posts: 736
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 14:02

Re: Scenario 4 - The Secrets of the Woods

Postby Namaphry » Jul 13th, '17, 13:19

(Concentration check for Hunter's Mark from getting hit earlier:
1d20+6 => 11, 6 => 17
)

User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 4 - The Secrets of the Woods

Postby Dry » Jul 13th, '17, 13:20

Namaphry wrote:(Concentration check for Hunter's Mark from getting hit earlier:
1d20+6 => 11, 6 => 17
)

Thanks. passes easily.

User avatar
skyetashi
Posts: 51
Joined: Mar 31st, '17, 17:08

Re: Scenario 4 - The Secrets of the Woods

Postby skyetashi » Jul 16th, '17, 12:06

Andraste narrowed her eye feeling that this fight was nearing it's end, as she fended off the elementals attack with her shield she tried for a quick slash to the right, then with a quick motion used the momentum to launch a second attack this time a slash towards the left.
Attack1
1d20+6 => 18, 6 => 24

Damage
1d8+6 => 3, 6 => 9

Attack2
1d20+6 => 3, 6 => 9

Damage
1d8+6 => 4, 6 => 10
[/quote]
Tales of Katan: Andraste

User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 4 - The Secrets of the Woods

Postby Dry » Jul 24th, '17, 05:34

Your first attack hits, though it is barely more than a glancing blow. The second goes wide as you overestimate the movement of the elemental.

Ele 1 recharge:
1d6 => 4 => 4
nope
Makes 2 slam attacks against the demon:
1d20+7 => 10, 7 => 17
hits, for
2d8+4 => 2, 2, 4 => 8
bludgeoning damage
1d20+7 => 3, 7 => 10
misses

Ele 2 recharge:
1d6 => 6 => 6
yes
Turns and moves back towards the river, diving into the water and momentarily disappearing.
(Andraste, you may use your reaction to take an opportunity attack against it as it flees if you wish).

Nayveen, it's your turn!
Due to the vile stench coming from the demon, please roll a Con saving throw, DC14, on failure you are poisoned until the start of your next turn. Any features you have against poison are applicable here.

Namaphry
Posts: 736
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 14:02

Re: Scenario 4 - The Secrets of the Woods

Postby Namaphry » Jul 24th, '17, 11:13

Nayveen discards the useless hilt. Maybe someone can reconnect it to the blade... later. Instead, she unwinds her flail, and spins it up to deliver another, hopefully mortal blow to the demon.
Con save:
1d20+6 => 17, 6 => 23

Attack roll:
1d20+5 => 1, 5 => 6

At disadvantage if poisoned:
1d20+5 => 20, 5 => 25

Damage, if hit:
1d8+1d8+1d6 => 4, 8, 2 => 14

User avatar
skyetashi
Posts: 51
Joined: Mar 31st, '17, 17:08

Re: Scenario 4 - The Secrets of the Woods

Postby skyetashi » Jul 24th, '17, 18:06

Andraste will take a swipe at the elemental however after that her attention will be on the demon.

attack
1d20+6 => 11, 6 => 17

Damage
1d8+6 => 7, 6 => 13
Tales of Katan: Andraste

User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 4 - The Secrets of the Woods

Postby Dry » Sep 2nd, '17, 14:02

In the interests of getting directly back into the swing of things, the campaign will continue in Scenario 5!


Return to “Tales of Katan”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest