Scenario 4 - The Secrets of the Woods

Namaphry
Posts: 736
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 14:02

Re: Scenario 4 - The Secrets of the Woods

Postby Namaphry » Apr 25th, '17, 03:14

Nayveen greets Andraste where she's been waiting, an hour or two after she'd left. She starts with the deception, as planned. "The warden has agreed to locate what you've been searching for. Are you in a rush?"

User avatar
skyetashi
Posts: 51
Joined: Mar 31st, '17, 17:08

Re: Scenario 4 - The Secrets of the Woods

Postby skyetashi » Apr 27th, '17, 09:00

Andraste looked up from where she was sittiing reading a book. " Ah.." she stood up and walked over to her. " Then that is good, i'm certain that this will improve relations between our people" she gave a bit of a smile. " i appreciate the assistance"
Tales of Katan: Andraste

Namaphry
Posts: 736
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 14:02

Re: Scenario 4 - The Secrets of the Woods

Postby Namaphry » Apr 27th, '17, 09:32

Nayveen frowned briefly. "You'll be returning to Katan in the meantime, then?"

User avatar
skyetashi
Posts: 51
Joined: Mar 31st, '17, 17:08

Re: Scenario 4 - The Secrets of the Woods

Postby skyetashi » Apr 27th, '17, 10:00

andraste looked at her for a moment. " unless something has come up, i will wait and enjoy my hosts hospitality, though being allowed to go for a walk woould be nice"
Tales of Katan: Andraste

Namaphry
Posts: 736
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 14:02

Re: Scenario 4 - The Secrets of the Woods

Postby Namaphry » Apr 27th, '17, 10:19

Nayveen stares at Andraste for a moment, then clears her throat. "There is one thing. The king had a mission for some other wanderers, who never carried it out. Instead, they left the country. We could go to finish the job. With luck, he hasn't heard of it yet, it hasn't been very long."

User avatar
skyetashi
Posts: 51
Joined: Mar 31st, '17, 17:08

Re: Scenario 4 - The Secrets of the Woods

Postby skyetashi » Apr 29th, '17, 01:51

she stares at her for a few moments eye narrowing for a bit as she slowly stood up to her full height showing how massive she actually was "Are you asking me to abandon my duty to my liege to bail out your compatriots own sense of failure?" she sighed and shook her head. " Until i verify the skulls location i'm afraid i can't leave, If Warden will allow me to assist i can possibly help you in your own endevours, at the very least i can make sure you won't be punished for your companions .... idiocy"
Tales of Katan: Andraste

Namaphry
Posts: 736
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 14:02

Re: Scenario 4 - The Secrets of the Woods

Postby Namaphry » Apr 29th, '17, 12:03

"I'm fairly certain they don't realize they've gone off-task, and I'm fairly certain the king considers this incomplete task extremely important. Though, I'm sure you can explain to him that you wanted to teach the others a lesson if it comes to that." Nayveen's voice was dripping with sarcasm, but she carried on. "I don't have the skull's location, but the warden does.

"It's currently in use, and won't be available for transport until the end of the month. Given that you're searching for it in connection to some suspicion of it being used by someone else, this seems to render the issue moot, but we may be able to arrange something to assure you that there is nothing improper, and its location is well-known.

"You can sit here and wait for a month. You can accept a compromise, and leave. Or we could get on with it, right now, and come back later. The choice is yours."

User avatar
skyetashi
Posts: 51
Joined: Mar 31st, '17, 17:08

Re: Scenario 4 - The Secrets of the Woods

Postby skyetashi » May 3rd, '17, 00:31

"if you told me it was in use first i wouldn't have been so adamant, however as long as the warden promises to have it delivered, i'll bail out your companions" she sat back down for a few shutting her eye. " Nothings ever easy, i'll have to send a letter to my Liege informing him of these developments and that the device will be delivered in a month." she smiled a bit darkly chuckling. " I am taking your word on this, so give me some time to compose the letter and ask if they have a carrier pigeon or some way of sending it for me""
Tales of Katan: Andraste

Namaphry
Posts: 736
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 14:02

Re: Scenario 4 - The Secrets of the Woods

Postby Namaphry » May 3rd, '17, 01:08

"Messenger animals are our forte," Nayveen says with some irony. "I'd rather think of it as doing the king's service than bailing them out. They're likely digging themselves deeper as we speak. The mission was to convince the king's old friend, a wizard, to speak to him again. It may be impossible, but it's worth the effort. Especially after the trouble we went to figure out his puzzles."

User avatar
skyetashi
Posts: 51
Joined: Mar 31st, '17, 17:08

Re: Scenario 4 - The Secrets of the Woods

Postby skyetashi » May 4th, '17, 03:33

andraste nodded her head watching naveen carefully. " I may know a few things that might help convince him, i do not think preparations will take long, i shall be ready to depart within a few minutes, I hope you can describe your companions to me thoroughly "
Tales of Katan: Andraste

Namaphry
Posts: 736
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 14:02

Re: Scenario 4 - The Secrets of the Woods

Postby Namaphry » May 4th, '17, 11:16

Nayveen's stance is a bit of a swagger, and she smiles, though not warmly. "More thoroughly than I'd like. They were bound for Helix, though, so we won't see them for a while, if ever. Don't rush too much, we'll be leaving at first light, tomorrow."

After this, she leaves Andraste to go tell the Warden the good news, and find accommodations for the night.

User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 4 - The Secrets of the Woods

Postby Dry » May 5th, '17, 10:43

The warden is smiling at you when you return. "Couldn't help but listen in, dear. Your bold approach seems to have been just the thing. Where are you planning on taking her?"

Namaphry
Posts: 736
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 14:02

Re: Scenario 4 - The Secrets of the Woods

Postby Namaphry » May 5th, '17, 12:31

Nayveen raises her eyebrows, then nods in deference and shrugs. "Orlov's sanctuary is a hedge garden a few days ride east of here. I intend to take her inside to negotiate with him.

"I don't know what will come of it, though it seems harmless on the surface, to me, even though the King of Katan asked for it. So long as we don't anger the wizard, at least. If the puzzles are the same as before, we can enter with just a bagful of jacks. If not, we'll have to improvise, I suppose."

User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 4 - The Secrets of the Woods

Postby Dry » May 5th, '17, 13:18

"I'll speak with her in the morning, then, to see you off. Not tonight, I have to go tend the grove. You get some rest now." She walks over to the window and points at a structure a couple trees over, "There's a bed prepared in that dwelling there. Breakfast is at first light."

Namaphry
Posts: 736
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 14:02

Re: Scenario 4 - The Secrets of the Woods

Postby Namaphry » May 5th, '17, 15:07

"Thank you." Nayveen obtains those jacks she expects to need, and goes to rest for the night.

User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 4 - The Secrets of the Woods

Postby Dry » May 8th, '17, 15:34

Nayveen, you're able to procure a pouch of wood chippings which will do the job just fine.

Andraste, the guard at your door says, "I'm to tell you a mount will be provided in the morning. I hope you know how to ride. Get some sleep, sounds like you'll need it."

User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 4 - The Secrets of the Woods

Postby Dry » May 11th, '17, 10:49

OOC: It's not that I'm ignoring you guys, I'm just trying to keep things in both threads concurrent as much as possible; we'll pick up as soon as time moves forward a bit.

User avatar
skyetashi
Posts: 51
Joined: Mar 31st, '17, 17:08

Re: Scenario 4 - The Secrets of the Woods

Postby skyetashi » May 11th, '17, 12:01

andraste didn't reply but she had come with her own horse, she mused if speed was of importance if so her new companion should have said something she finished her letter and turned in for the night
Tales of Katan: Andraste

User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 4 - The Secrets of the Woods

Postby Dry » May 19th, '17, 13:31

The night passes peacefully for both of you; you have taken a long rest. The morning brings the sound of a light rain falling on the forest canopy far above. You'll note though that little of the water makes it through the tree cover to freely fall to the ground; it would appear that the flows are managed.

Andraste, you note that there is no longer any guard outside your room.

There are muted sounds of activity throughout the settlement as the elves begin their morning routines; some are whistling a tune which is being bounced between the various trees, much the way birdsong travels.

The morning peace is suddenly broken by the sound of someone riding, hard, fast, straight towards the centre of the settlement, with a few shouts to get out of the way. Both of you would hear this quite clearly.

Looking out, you see a young, spry elf, likely in his early eighties, hop off an elk directly onto a vine-like rope and start crawling up it straight to the warden's hut.

How do you respond to the situation?

Namaphry
Posts: 736
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 14:02

Re: Scenario 4 - The Secrets of the Woods

Postby Namaphry » May 19th, '17, 13:40

Nayveen tried sending a Message spell to the warden while walking toward the commotion, asking, "Are you expecting a visitor? You have one in a hurry." She didn't know enough to say if this wasn't how things were done, here.

User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 4 - The Secrets of the Woods

Postby Dry » May 19th, '17, 13:44

"This is unexpected. Something must be wrong." You can now see a couple of the elves up top are helping pull up the rope while the young scout climbs it, thereby accelerating his ascent.

Namaphry
Posts: 736
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 14:02

Re: Scenario 4 - The Secrets of the Woods

Postby Namaphry » May 19th, '17, 13:46

Nayveen raises her eyebrows, and turns to say to Andraste, "We may as well find our mounts, but we should wait to find out if this news should concern us."

User avatar
skyetashi
Posts: 51
Joined: Mar 31st, '17, 17:08

Re: Scenario 4 - The Secrets of the Woods

Postby skyetashi » May 19th, '17, 20:18

andraste shook her head. " It shouldn't take long to find our mounts, and in truth would take only a few moments to get them ready to leave, I suggest we see if we can be of any assistence to your kind first." she looked down at Nayveen and moved her head in the direction. " It's better to be proavtive to a scenario instead of having to react to it, right?" after all, even if she was here to find the skull, she was her lords representative one way or another.
Tales of Katan: Andraste

Namaphry
Posts: 736
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 14:02

Re: Scenario 4 - The Secrets of the Woods

Postby Namaphry » May 19th, '17, 20:47

"Here? That does mean we stand and wait for a few minutes, instead of preparing. But, I'm in no hurry. I suppose we can stand here 'proactively'." Nayveen manages to keep the sarcasm out of her voice entirely, though she can't seem to do the same with her body language. She props herself up against a tree and folds her arms, watching Andraste while waiting for the scout to speak with the Warden.

User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 4 - The Secrets of the Woods

Postby Dry » May 20th, '17, 03:32

Just to be clear, are you heading over to the warden's dwelling to catch the report or just waiting to see what happens after?

User avatar
skyetashi
Posts: 51
Joined: Mar 31st, '17, 17:08

Re: Scenario 4 - The Secrets of the Woods

Postby skyetashi » May 21st, '17, 16:58

(( i guessn ot now? ))

andrasted looked at her and shook her head. " I suppose if they require any assitence they will make sure to come ask you right away" she started heading towards the stables. " Very well let's get ready to leave"
Tales of Katan: Andraste


User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 4 - The Secrets of the Woods

Postby Dry » May 22nd, '17, 11:33

The two of you make your way to ground level, following the various paths and ladders between trees as they gradually get lower to the ground. By the time you're there, both of your horses are brought forward, looking well-rested and ready to go. The elf leading Andraste's horse winks and says to her, "Found this one tied up at the edge of the woods. Not sure whose it is, but I suppose you may as well take it, as it's not one of ours."
The Warden had intended to see you off, but it seems they're busy with whatever's going on, so you are free to go on your way at this point, if there's nothing else you intend to do in the settlement.

Namaphry
Posts: 736
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 14:02

Re: Scenario 4 - The Secrets of the Woods

Postby Namaphry » May 22nd, '17, 11:48

"Whatever the matter is, it seems it doesn't concern us." Nayveen is somewhat concerned, despite herself, given how many odd things had been happening lately. Still, she could think of many things that might require the Warden's attention that her and her tribe should have nothing to do with, let alone a stranger from Katan. She stayed focused on travelling back to Orlov's 'maze'.

User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 4 - The Secrets of the Woods

Postby Dry » May 22nd, '17, 11:51

Heading out of the woods, you catch sight of a pillar of smoke rising from somewhere towards the middle of the abandoned settlement, Miriam-in-the-woods; there is activity visible in the distance that way too, but you can't make out what they're doing. Your normal route would take you around, joining the road directly. Are you going to stick to it?

Namaphry
Posts: 736
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 14:02

Re: Scenario 4 - The Secrets of the Woods

Postby Namaphry » May 22nd, '17, 12:10

Yes. Nayveen tries not to make a habit of rushing toward large fires.

User avatar
skyetashi
Posts: 51
Joined: Mar 31st, '17, 17:08

Re: Scenario 4 - The Secrets of the Woods

Postby skyetashi » May 22nd, '17, 12:53

Andraste turned her horse towards the fire and started heading towards it. " that's trouble..." she thought for a few moments in silence as she stopped her horse. "I'm not wanting to throw my life needlessly away with out a plan, however this is trouble for those who gave me a nice place to stay for a few nights." she turned her horse back towards the elven settlement. "besides my gut is telling me that there's trouble on the road now" if nayveen left fine, but she would see things fone here, it wasn't good to leave a job half done after all.
Tales of Katan: Andraste

Namaphry
Posts: 736
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 14:02

Re: Scenario 4 - The Secrets of the Woods

Postby Namaphry » May 22nd, '17, 13:09

Nayveen didn't expect Andraste to turn away, and had only just turned to follow her a second earlier when she stopped. When Andraste turned back to the settlement, she turned back as well to escort her. "What's this, then? We're deep inside Katan, it's not as though orcs should rampage through here. If there's trouble, you should know about it." In the back of her mind, she was aware that a monster related to that fire-breathing dog could be here, though if that was so, she didn't expect to be the first to find out about it.

User avatar
skyetashi
Posts: 51
Joined: Mar 31st, '17, 17:08

Re: Scenario 4 - The Secrets of the Woods

Postby skyetashi » May 22nd, '17, 15:53

"the fact is that since the town is abandoned there's no laws governing whats going on there, while we are aware of whoever comes into the country we aren't aware of what those people do, there shouldn't be much to burn in the town since everyone when they left probably took all their belongings leaving the houses, my concern is what are they burning and why" she kicked her horse into a quick cantern returning the path they had returned. " And the elves seemed extremely worried, so that worries me as well"
Tales of Katan: Andraste

Namaphry
Posts: 736
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 14:02

Re: Scenario 4 - The Secrets of the Woods

Postby Namaphry » May 22nd, '17, 16:15

Nayveen called after her, "Where are you going, then? To ask for a scouting report?" In a lower voice, not likely to be heard, she said, "We might as well search the area ourselves." She was reluctant to hurry on after Andraste.

User avatar
skyetashi
Posts: 51
Joined: Mar 31st, '17, 17:08

Re: Scenario 4 - The Secrets of the Woods

Postby skyetashi » May 22nd, '17, 16:17

andraste stopped her horse and looked at her. " Very well, although i'm not very good at scouting in a quite manner"
Tales of Katan: Andraste

Namaphry
Posts: 736
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 14:02

Re: Scenario 4 - The Secrets of the Woods

Postby Namaphry » May 22nd, '17, 16:26

"That's fine. The best scouts use fast mounts, not gentle footsteps. Just keep your wits about and your horse under you, and you'll be fine." Nayveen turned back around and started heading toward the fire, surveying the terrain to give her the best field of view and a means to escape.

"It's likely this fire was started by a creature from a plane of fire, brought through where the woods have been left untended for too long. This has been occurring more and more often of late."

User avatar
skyetashi
Posts: 51
Joined: Mar 31st, '17, 17:08

Re: Scenario 4 - The Secrets of the Woods

Postby skyetashi » May 23rd, '17, 08:22

Andraste nodded her head. " Very well i will follow your lead" she reeled around again to follow after Nayveen
Tales of Katan: Andraste

User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 4 - The Secrets of the Woods

Postby Dry » May 23rd, '17, 10:40

As you move in towards the smoke, you are able to discern the activity - it seems the ones responsible are none other than the scouts themselves. Some are carrying wood in towards the centre of Miriam, where others are tending to a large bonfire, quite hastily and recklessly assembled by the looks of things. There is a huge pot, cauldron really, suspended over the fire, and you can see a large shard of ice (!) sticking up past its rim.
Seeing you approach, one of them waves you over and says, "The damned stuff just won't melt. Never seen anything like it. Whole river's frozen, all the way up to the cave. Well's the same. This is bad, very bad..."

Namaphry
Posts: 736
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 14:02

Re: Scenario 4 - The Secrets of the Woods

Postby Namaphry » May 23rd, '17, 13:45

"Hmm. No monsters, just a strange phenomenon," Nayveen says to Andraste, before bringing her horse into a trot to continue to the clearing, where she dismounts and heads straight to the pot to examine the ice. The flames part way for her and she directs them to lick the ice when she's only a couple feet away, though she still has to shield herself and steps back after a few seconds, since she's not heat-resistant, even if she can control the flames.

User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 4 - The Secrets of the Woods

Postby Dry » May 24th, '17, 13:19

The flames spring up at your command, but have negligible effect on the ice - it remains solid as ever, though there's a couple tiny droplets starting to melt off right where the flame is in contact with it. Who- or what-ever has cooled the water to this state has clearly done so through some extraordinary method.

Namaphry
Posts: 736
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 14:02

Re: Scenario 4 - The Secrets of the Woods

Postby Namaphry » May 24th, '17, 13:59

"Look--it is melting, just a few drops. But this bonfire's not working, you'd need a forge or a kiln to melt all this." Nayveen shook her head. "I've never seen anything like it. I mean... I've seen ice like this before, but only enough to fit in the palm of my hand. And you're saying the whole river's like this? Has anyone gone to the source?"

User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 4 - The Secrets of the Woods

Postby Dry » May 24th, '17, 14:02

"The source is half a mile upstream, where the stream emerges from a network of caves; we can't even go in, as the entire passage is frozen solid, wall to ceiling... the Warden will get to the bottom of this, don't worry."

User avatar
skyetashi
Posts: 51
Joined: Mar 31st, '17, 17:08

Re: Scenario 4 - The Secrets of the Woods

Postby skyetashi » May 24th, '17, 20:26

dismounting and leaving her horse beside nayveen and walked to investigate the giant shard of ice, scratching her chin as she thought about anything she had heard about like this happening naturally which she doubted, if it wasn't something that happened normally it was probably some sort of magic that did this. " Well considering it's not melting it's some kind of powerful magicks doing this, have you heard of any creature or spell that can freeze this much water?"
Tales of Katan: Andraste

Namaphry
Posts: 736
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 14:02

Re: Scenario 4 - The Secrets of the Woods

Postby Namaphry » May 24th, '17, 21:01

Nayveen shook her head again, holding her hands out. "Maybe, maybe not. Many monsters that can breathe or invoke magical ice exist, but it's not always easy to tell whether they simply come where the cold is or if they bring it with them. Even if all the legends are true, that doesn't narrow this down for us. It could be a dog, a dragon, a demigod, or even just a powerful wizard. I don't have any specific idea."

User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 4 - The Secrets of the Woods

Postby Dry » May 25th, '17, 00:42

Go ahead and roll a history check, both of you, to see if you can remember any accounts of such happenings in the past, while you ponder the situation.


User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 4 - The Secrets of the Woods

Postby Dry » May 25th, '17, 02:29

Nayveen doesn't recall anything specific past the generic basics she's outlined above.

User avatar
skyetashi
Posts: 51
Joined: Mar 31st, '17, 17:08

Re: Scenario 4 - The Secrets of the Woods

Postby skyetashi » May 27th, '17, 19:06

history:
1d20+5 => 15, 5 => 20
Tales of Katan: Andraste

User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 4 - The Secrets of the Woods

Postby Dry » May 29th, '17, 16:09

Andraste: see PM.

User avatar
skyetashi
Posts: 51
Joined: Mar 31st, '17, 17:08

Re: Scenario 4 - The Secrets of the Woods

Postby skyetashi » May 30th, '17, 05:58

"By my recolection it would seem that this is the doing of an elemental, something like this happened back in the capital a while back, however dealing with an elemental this powerful, why is it even here?"
Tales of Katan: Andraste

Namaphry
Posts: 736
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 14:02

Re: Scenario 4 - The Secrets of the Woods

Postby Namaphry » May 30th, '17, 16:14

"If it's anything like the fire dog, I understand that it's here because the human settlement in this region has made it increasingly difficult to tend to the forests of Katan, which weakens the barriers between this world and others filled with dangerous monsters, and allows them to more easily pass through to trouble us. It might not be related... or it could be all part of the same problem. Perhaps your employers have a different theory."

User avatar
skyetashi
Posts: 51
Joined: Mar 31st, '17, 17:08

Re: Scenario 4 - The Secrets of the Woods

Postby skyetashi » May 30th, '17, 20:39

"Once upon a time, our kingdom experimented with the idea of using summoned elemental in battle, however due to how uncontrollable they were" she walked towards the fire and crouched down poking the logs with another stick. " The idea was abandoned and all attempts were halted, a fire dog would be easier to deal with than a high elemental that's wandered through, and is beyond my capabilities to deal with." she paused tapping her chin for a few moments." How well would your companions be able to help subdue an elemental?"
Tales of Katan: Andraste

Namaphry
Posts: 736
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 14:02

Re: Scenario 4 - The Secrets of the Woods

Postby Namaphry » May 31st, '17, 01:00

"I'm sure Rang could cut it in half if he didn't freeze to death first, and the other dwarf isn't entirely useless. The fire dog was still a challenge for them, though, so I'd estimate 'not especially'. We don't need to handle this unless we're called upon. I deal with wandering monsters and small bands of brigands, not the fundamental forces of the multiverse; whether or not they've taken physical form."

User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 4 - The Secrets of the Woods

Postby Dry » May 31st, '17, 06:32

While you are having this discussion, you see several more elves approaching, on foot, from the forest, led by the Warden herself. They are walking quickly, purposefully, but just short of actually running. As they approach they are already Messaging the scouts by the fire, catching up on the situation. Finally reaching you, the Warden is the first to speak, and gives quick directions, including putting out the clearly useless fire. She then turns and starts heading upriver towards the cave with her retinue, adding to the pair of you, "If it won't delay your journey then do accompany us - an set of eyes are always useful."

Namaphry
Posts: 736
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 14:02

Re: Scenario 4 - The Secrets of the Woods

Postby Namaphry » May 31st, '17, 11:56

Nayveen nods, and follows, making sure the horses are taken care of. While it is a delay, she doesn't know how much of one, yet. The cave is much closer, and she's not in that much of a hurry. She does stop to check if Andraste is following, though.

User avatar
skyetashi
Posts: 51
Joined: Mar 31st, '17, 17:08

Re: Scenario 4 - The Secrets of the Woods

Postby skyetashi » Jun 4th, '17, 10:47

Andraste simply follows, if they wish to use her then she should help out a bit. she did bow politely to the warden as they met.
Tales of Katan: Andraste

User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 4 - The Secrets of the Woods

Postby Dry » Jun 7th, '17, 13:07

The group of you two and several of the other elves, led by the warden, make their way to the river, which has not only frozen, but apparently frozen in place, with ripples and flows clearly defined in the ice, rather than it being a smooth surface. Following it, the way meanders gently uphill until you hit a rocky outcrop into which the river would disappear. There was a cave entrance here, but it is indeed frozen with ice- again, not a sheer wall, but more like if someone had thrown a bucket of water and frozen it mid-flight - it looks like the ice is bursting out of the cave entrance, which is only about 4 feet wide and perhaps six tall.

"Do what you can here. I will take a look inside," the warden says, as she moves into a wide, low stance; she spreads her arms out, then quickly slams her fists together - or rather, moves to, except at the moment of impact the fists are stone, as she assumes the form of an earth elemental, and moves forwards, merging into the rock at the side of the ice and disappearing.

Namaphry
Posts: 736
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 14:02

Re: Scenario 4 - The Secrets of the Woods

Postby Namaphry » Jun 7th, '17, 13:50

Nayveen searching around the entrance. She needs no further confirmation that something very unnatural happened to the river, but she'll look for fish frozen in the ice, anyway. She doesn't expect to find much else, except possibly animal tracks leading into the cave that might have an unusual quality to them.

User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 4 - The Secrets of the Woods

Postby Dry » Jun 7th, '17, 13:58

Roll an investigation check please.

Namaphry
Posts: 736
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 14:02

Re: Scenario 4 - The Secrets of the Woods

Postby Namaphry » Jun 7th, '17, 17:40

1d20+8 => 13, 8 => 21
Assuming we're still in forest terrain, here.

User avatar
skyetashi
Posts: 51
Joined: Mar 31st, '17, 17:08

Re: Scenario 4 - The Secrets of the Woods

Postby skyetashi » Jun 8th, '17, 12:18

Andraste moves to the river looking at it as she scratches her chin with her thumb. curious to the area she takes not of the surronding area if anything was frozen over, any of the sap in the trees or the grass on the ground, or if it was only the water in the river.
Tales of Katan: Andraste

User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 4 - The Secrets of the Woods

Postby Dry » Jun 8th, '17, 14:49

Nayveen, you don't find any animal tracks, though there are some strange drag marks in the area around the cave- they look like someone had pulled a wet cloth along the ground behind them. Taking a closer look at the ice itself, while there aren't any fish visible, you do just barely spot something embedded at waist height about a foot or two into the ice, which you now realise is actually rather transparent. The object is thin, about a foot long, and has a hint of metallic sheen to it.

Andraste, looking at the plants, they don't appear to have been flash-frozen the way the water was, though some of the grass growing at the edges of the stream is starting to frost up.

Namaphry
Posts: 736
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 14:02

Re: Scenario 4 - The Secrets of the Woods

Postby Namaphry » Jun 8th, '17, 18:13

"It looks like someone hauled something into the cave recently."

"There's something in here... a wand? I don't have the tools to break through this, for it."

User avatar
skyetashi
Posts: 51
Joined: Mar 31st, '17, 17:08

Re: Scenario 4 - The Secrets of the Woods

Postby skyetashi » Jun 8th, '17, 20:11

andraste returned to look at what Nayveen. " Well only the river has been flash frozen."
Tales of Katan: Andraste

Namaphry
Posts: 736
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 14:02

Re: Scenario 4 - The Secrets of the Woods

Postby Namaphry » Jun 8th, '17, 21:19

"If the magic is related to the element, that makes sense..." She'll go see if anyone else standing around has a pick or something she can use to break up the ice to get at the mysterious item. If she gets close enough, she'll switch to a hammer and chisel, if possible.

User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 4 - The Secrets of the Woods

Postby Dry » Jun 9th, '17, 11:16

The forest elves aren't fans of metalwork; the only things they have of steel are weapons 'liberated' on various raids. Otherwise they do have a variety of stone and flint construction tools, and will happily fetch some for you, though it will be slow going trying to chip through that much ice. Is that how you'd like to proceed?

Namaphry
Posts: 736
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 14:02

Re: Scenario 4 - The Secrets of the Woods

Postby Namaphry » Jun 9th, '17, 14:03

Yes. Wood, born, or horn picks should work, too, ice isn't that hard. Nayveen doesn't have any way to melt the ice, so this is the only way to get at the item she can think of.

User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 4 - The Secrets of the Woods

Postby Dry » Jun 9th, '17, 14:34

The requested tools are fetched from one of the saddlebags, though they are clearly letting you take the lead on using them.
Roll a skill check (in this case it will be Str+Prof for Nayveen as she has wood tool proficiency) as you set about trying to chip through the ice.


User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 4 - The Secrets of the Woods

Postby Dry » Jun 9th, '17, 14:56

ooc: I mean, you are carving ice with wood tools right?

Taking a look at the way the ice was flowing when it was frozen, you get a sense for the directions of stress, much like wood grains, and are able to place the tools in a good spot. A whack of a mallet against a stone chisel sends fractures through the ice, though it doesn't shatter, as it's quite firmly wedged in, and still pretty solid. However, from the start, and seeing which way it cracks, you are able to chip through it, and eventually reach the metallic object - it is a sword blade, broken off before the hilt, and there are a number of light-blue runes still glowing all along the length of the blade. There is no hint of where the handle might have ended up. For the moment, it's mostly still wedged into the ice. Are you going to fully extricate it?

Andraste, what are you doing while Nayveen is at the chiselling?

Namaphry
Posts: 736
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 14:02

Re: Scenario 4 - The Secrets of the Woods

Postby Namaphry » Jun 9th, '17, 18:20

Nayveen continues to cut around it. She's going to try not to touch it, but she'll remove it with the ice it's in, if possible. "Looks like part of a magic sword..." Maybe she can identify the runes once it's clear.

User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 4 - The Secrets of the Woods

Postby Dry » Jun 12th, '17, 11:30

The ice around the blade feels especially cold, forcing you to wrap cloths around your hands to handle it. Removing the chunk that houses the fragment, and setting it on the ground, you feel a slight... shift, in the ice. It's subtle, very subtle, but something about it has changed. It's starting to glisten, slightly, as if the summer heat is finally reaching it. The ground under the block housing the piece of the weapon, on the other hand, has hardened up, small lines of frost snaking out across it.

Namaphry
Posts: 736
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 14:02

Re: Scenario 4 - The Secrets of the Woods

Postby Namaphry » Jun 12th, '17, 12:14

"Looks like this was freezing it. I'd celebrate, but... this is only one piece, there might be more. We need to keep this away from the river while we keep looking."

User avatar
skyetashi
Posts: 51
Joined: Mar 31st, '17, 17:08

Re: Scenario 4 - The Secrets of the Woods

Postby skyetashi » Jun 12th, '17, 19:45

Andraste nodded her head as she looked at the cave entrance. " Magic weapons are rare, and it's not like some one would just leave one here by accident." she was curious in the way the blade had frozen, though she doubted it she checked to see if there were any indications from which direction the blade had come from
Tales of Katan: Andraste

User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 4 - The Secrets of the Woods

Postby Dry » Jun 13th, '17, 02:41

The blade tip was facing into the cave, though that doesn't tell you if it had been flung that way or was tumbling outwards when it activated the freeze.

The whole excavation process had taken some minutes, and before you can proceed further with your investigation, there is a low rumble and suddenly an earth elemental emerges from the rock face of the cave entrance. Subtle green bands running through its bulk are placed in tasteful arrangement, making it easy to identify that this is the Warden.

She begins communicating with the other elves, though the earthy rumbles are unintelligible to your untrained ears; you see them ready their weapons, and one says to you, "There are water spirits here who have fallen to a dark corruption. We must put them down. Prepare for combat."

Taking a closer look at the Warden's rocky form you can notice several places where the stone looks freshly chipped, as though she has sustained some injuries while in the cave.

User avatar
skyetashi
Posts: 51
Joined: Mar 31st, '17, 17:08

Re: Scenario 4 - The Secrets of the Woods

Postby skyetashi » Jun 13th, '17, 10:33

Andraste readied her crossbow as she nodded to nayveen. "I've never heard of anything like this before, although, perhaps it's something simular to your fire dogs." she walked towards the warden ready to offer her services.
Tales of Katan: Andraste

Namaphry
Posts: 736
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 14:02

Re: Scenario 4 - The Secrets of the Woods

Postby Namaphry » Jun 13th, '17, 11:53

Nayveen wasn't entirely sure how to fight water spirits, but she strapped on her shield and stood facing the cave entrance, ready to cast or draw a weapon, however the situation seemed to merit. "Any... tips?"

User avatar
skyetashi
Posts: 51
Joined: Mar 31st, '17, 17:08

Re: Scenario 4 - The Secrets of the Woods

Postby skyetashi » Jun 13th, '17, 21:55

Andraste shook her head. "Any tips i would have might not work since they're corrupted, and honestly they probably aren't too effected by our arrows , perhaps drawing them away from the ice and water will weaken them"
Tales of Katan: Andraste

User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 4 - The Secrets of the Woods

Postby Dry » Jun 14th, '17, 15:31

The Warden replies, and it is translated: "Contrary to what you might expect, ice-based magic can be rather effective; the water spirits do not handle being frozen very well. Anything of fire is, of course, off the table."

Namaphry
Posts: 736
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 14:02

Re: Scenario 4 - The Secrets of the Woods

Postby Namaphry » Jun 14th, '17, 15:45

Nayveen doesn't reply, not having such a selection of spells at her disposal. She does nothing further to prepare, though she wasn't planning to use her bow, anyway.

User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 4 - The Secrets of the Woods

Postby Dry » Jun 14th, '17, 15:57

Let's have some initiative rolls for the upcoming combat please. As you are ready for the enemy, and they are coming into this with aggression too, there is not going to be any surprise round for either side.

Warden:
1d20-1 => 17, -1 => 16

The other 3 friendly elves:
1d20+2 => 2, 2 => 4

Enemy block 1:
1d20+2 => 9, 2 => 11

Enemy block 2:
1d20+1 => 6, 1 => 7

Other one:
1d20+3 => 15, 3 => 18


User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 4 - The Secrets of the Woods

Postby Dry » Jun 14th, '17, 16:11

Roll another straight d20 for tiebreak:
1d20 => 4 => 4


User avatar
skyetashi
Posts: 51
Joined: Mar 31st, '17, 17:08

Re: Scenario 4 - The Secrets of the Woods

Postby skyetashi » Jun 14th, '17, 18:43

1d20 => 13 => 13
Tales of Katan: Andraste

User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 4 - The Secrets of the Woods

Postby Dry » Jun 18th, '17, 17:55

As you have a little setup time, where would you like to be relative to the cave entrance? Nayveen you've said you're going to stand in front of it, how close to the ice do you wish to be? The terrain is sparse woodland, with the river curving down southwards, at the bottom of a gently-sloping valley. The elves back a good ways off from the cave entrance and ready longbows. Map coming tomorrow.


User avatar
skyetashi
Posts: 51
Joined: Mar 31st, '17, 17:08

Re: Scenario 4 - The Secrets of the Woods

Postby skyetashi » Jun 19th, '17, 12:24

I'd say that andraste will be at mid range behind cover if possible? )
Tales of Katan: Andraste

User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 4 - The Secrets of the Woods

Postby Dry » Jun 19th, '17, 15:25

Map: https://s7.postimg.org/oy151yp97/miriamcave1.jpg

Dark grey is the rocky outcrop that the river is flowing out from. Light gray are scattered rocks, brown are tree trunks. You have three elven archers supporting you, and the warden still in earth elemental form, though that likely won't last much longer given the damage it's already suffered.

Are you happy with your positions or would you like to move somewhere else before the fight starts?
What actions have you got prepared?

Initiative order
Warden
Andraste
Enemy block 1
Nayveen
Enemy block 2
Friendly elves

User avatar
skyetashi
Posts: 51
Joined: Mar 31st, '17, 17:08

Re: Scenario 4 - The Secrets of the Woods

Postby skyetashi » Jun 19th, '17, 18:23

andraste will fire her crossbow at the first one that appears readying herself to close the gap should the situation require it ))
Tales of Katan: Andraste

Namaphry
Posts: 736
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 14:02

Re: Scenario 4 - The Secrets of the Woods

Postby Namaphry » Jun 19th, '17, 22:55

This is fine. Nayveen hasn't decided what spell to cast, but she's almost certainly going to cast something, so she hasn't drawn her scimitar, yet. She just has her shield up and ready to defend herself when the enemies arrive.

User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 4 - The Secrets of the Woods

Postby Dry » Jun 21st, '17, 03:10

OOC: I'm really sorry for the delays. I've just been swamped IRL (exam season is hard work for teachers). Will be proceeding with the combat when I get home tonight, sometime after 6pm UK time.

User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 4 - The Secrets of the Woods

Postby Dry » Jun 21st, '17, 13:16

Map updated.

The ice, which had been slowly, naturally melting suddenly turns to water, and rushes forwards in a forceful wave. Nayveen, please roll a DC13 dex saving throw to avoid being knocked prone. At advantage as you'd been preparing a defensive stance.

As the water washes downstream, emerging from it stand 4 water elementals, their eyes small black orbs in otherwise aquatic bodies. They look... distressed, if such a thing can be said about these primal creatures, and scan the area frantically, trying to assess the situation they find themselves in.

From deep inside the cave, comes an echoing, screechy roar, and the water elementals look as if they are trying to decide exactly what to do.

The elves all loose arrows immediately at the frontmost (#4) as the creatures appear:

1d20+6 => 5, 6 => 11
miss
1d20+6 => 2, 6 => 8
miss
1d20+6 => 8, 6 => 14
hit, for
1d8+3 => 6, 3 => 9
piercing damage.

Two of the arrows sail clean through the creatures without any apparent effect; the third one does hit nearer where the water is... denser? and that certainly scrached it a bit.

While this is happening, the Warden has picked up a melon-sized rock and hefts it also at the front elemental, and with incredible force:

1d20+8 => 14, 8 => 22

2d8+5 => 7, 1, 5 => 13


The rock splashes into the elemental with a large spray of water coming out the other side, and while the hole seals up after a brief moment, it's clear that it did some damage after all.

Andraste, you may take your prepared attack with your crossbow at this point.

Namaphry
Posts: 736
Joined: Jul 21st, '16, 14:02

Re: Scenario 4 - The Secrets of the Woods

Postby Namaphry » Jun 21st, '17, 13:55

Dexterity save:
1d20+6 => 7, 6 => 13

With advantage:
1d20+6 => 1, 6 => 7

User avatar
skyetashi
Posts: 51
Joined: Mar 31st, '17, 17:08

Re: Scenario 4 - The Secrets of the Woods

Postby skyetashi » Jun 21st, '17, 13:58

Andraste sighted down her crossbow and fired at the closest Water elemental (#4)"What's pissed them off?!"

Attack:
1d20+3 => 2, 3 => 5

Damage:
1d10 => 9 => 9
Tales of Katan: Andraste

User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 4 - The Secrets of the Woods

Postby Dry » Jun 21st, '17, 14:03

Nayveen, seeing the deluge coming you just barely manage to brace yourself and hunker through it, retaining your footing.

Andraste, your bolt misses by a good margin, sailing right in between three of them without actually impacting any at all.

The warden turns to the other elves and indicates something that looks like it might be related to flanking. As she does so, a little of the damage to the elemental form is restored via some form of magical outburst from within her core, looking almost like the rock melted and re-fused the cracks.

Andraste, it's your turn! What do you do?

User avatar
skyetashi
Posts: 51
Joined: Mar 31st, '17, 17:08

Re: Scenario 4 - The Secrets of the Woods

Postby skyetashi » Jun 21st, '17, 23:28

Andraste mutters to herself as she reloads and tries firing another bolt at the same elemental keeping an eye on nayveen ready to rush to her aid if things look bad for the elf.
Attack
1d20+3 => 18, 3 => 21

Damage
1d10 => 1 => 1
Tales of Katan: Andraste

User avatar
Dry
Posts: 2169
Joined: Mar 27th, '16, 15:39
Location: Isle of Wight, UK

Re: Scenario 4 - The Secrets of the Woods

Postby Dry » Jun 22nd, '17, 11:24

Your bolt is a good shot, catching the elemental in the shoulder; however it doesn't appear to deal any significant damage.
Are you moving anywhere or is that the end of your turn? ((reloading is part of the attack action))

User avatar
skyetashi
Posts: 51
Joined: Mar 31st, '17, 17:08

Re: Scenario 4 - The Secrets of the Woods

Postby skyetashi » Jun 23rd, '17, 04:07

in that case andraste will move towards 8/13 and swap to her sword and shield then?
Tales of Katan: Andraste


Return to “Tales of Katan”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest