Chapter 1: The Mages' Prison

lhx
Site Admin

Re: Chapter 1: The Mages' Prison

Postby lhx » Jun 4th, '17, 20:59

From when i call out? 3 rounds from when the other half orc fell.
Find me on freenode with the username lhx in #texasxtremerpg or professionally at lawjrm.com
LMoP: GM - LMoP combat tracker OotA: GM - OotA combat tracker, Inventory Tedpocalypse: Zertius, Human Cleric

Namaphry

Postby Namaphry » Jun 4th, '17, 21:04

Thica is the last to get ready, but I'm assuming everyone else is still there when she arrives. "No offense, but... this climb is likely to be easier for me than for either of you. If I go first, you might not make it out at all, unless I find a way to send help. On the other hand, we don't seem to have other options, besides waiting for the water level to rise."

deltreey

Postby deltreey » Jun 4th, '17, 23:43

"I think so, but it looks sealed. Another hatch thing.". The words come down the shaft followed by a banging sound of flesh against metal which you hope is from the half-orc going up rather than the one going down.

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Jun 5th, '17, 00:09

"If one of us climbs to you, is there enough space to help you break the hatch?"
Find me on freenode with the username lhx in #texasxtremerpg or professionally at lawjrm.com
LMoP: GM - LMoP combat tracker OotA: GM - OotA combat tracker, Inventory Tedpocalypse: Zertius, Human Cleric

Glim

Postby Glim » Jun 5th, '17, 03:30

"I'll go last. I suspect I'm the worst climber and I wouldn't want to land on you and take you down with me when I... if I go."

When the hatch is discovered: "How far up are you? Does this one have a handle or anything?"

"I knew I should've forged for a rope, dangit"

deltreey

Postby deltreey » Jun 5th, '17, 09:14

Shouting up, he didn't seem to hear you as he was already pretty far up and banging on a hatch. Leaning your head in, however, you can feel the temperature in the tunnel seemingly rising--no wait, moisture. The steam was finally starting to rise from below. Having traveled quite a distance, it was cooler than it was initially, but it was close to the pipes the whole way, so it was still unpleasantly warm.

Namaphry

Postby Namaphry » Jun 5th, '17, 10:35

Thica accepts Bill's reasoning and starts climbing as part of the 'first best, worst last' policy. If anyone told her about the steam rising, she'd probably have gone ahead for that reason, alone. It's clearly too late for anything other than a high-risk commitment to Plan A, even though she still didn't know how long the climb was.

Climb check:
1d20+6 => 16, 6 => 22
DC is... 5? 15? Unknown.

deltreey

Postby deltreey » Jun 5th, '17, 10:40

5 climb checks, 5 fort saves, how are you protecting your feet?

Namaphry

Postby Namaphry » Jun 5th, '17, 10:55

By putting them on the opposite wall instead of on the pipes. (Have no cord to tie on foot wrappings.)

Climb checks:
1d20+6 => 19, 6 => 25

1d20+6 => 15, 6 => 21

1d20+6 => 8, 6 => 14

1d20+6 => 11, 6 => 17

1d20+6 => 1, 6 => 7

Fortitude saves:
1d20+5 => 15, 5 => 20

1d20+5 => 10, 5 => 15

1d20+5 => 3, 5 => 8

1d20+5 => 14, 5 => 19

1d20+5 => 9, 5 => 14

Still missing vital in-character information here. Aside from the climb DC being unknown, so is the distance. Thica can rage for +2 to all these checks, but only if she's near the end of the climb, since she can only rage for 6 more rounds today, and might need to use it to bash through the hatch above.

Also note that Thica's 40' move is the highest of the group, so she needs to make the fewest checks--she can climb as far in four move actions as Zertius can in six, or Bill can in eight, even assuming every check succeeds.

deltreey

Postby deltreey » Jun 5th, '17, 11:04

Yes, you don't know how far it is. I had you roll enough to be sure regardless of your speed. Don't worry, I got this.

Thica crawled into the tunnel and made a concerted effort to avoid putting her feet against the pipes. Originally trying to put them against the opposite wall, her balance and climbing skills repositioned them to the side walls, as that gave her three points of contact at any time in the tunnel. Using the ladder-esque pipes made climbing remarkably easy, as long as she protected her hands. Having dry cloth against her hands made that more convenient, since she was very concerned about wet rags and there had been plenty of time to dry them out. As the burning hot pipe would get through the cloth and she could feel it on her skin, her skill in climbing around ship netting paid off, and she simply used her feet to hold her up and pull her hands back for a moment to readjust and let her hands cool down a bit. In short order (3 rounds thanks to your ridiculous checks and speed), she was caught up to the orc who was still banging away on the hatch, though the sound was more like a crunch than an idle bang by this point, so he was clearly making progress.

Thica, you took 0 damage during the climb, as I'm including your first climb check, making your failed fort save (8) coincide with a climb check of 21, meaning you were able to use your climb skill to avoid holding onto the pipes at that moment and avoid the damage.

Who's next?

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Jun 5th, '17, 11:09

Zertius will go next:

5 Climb checks:

1d20+2 => 15, 2 => 17

1d20+2 => 5, 2 => 7

1d20+2 => 6, 2 => 8

1d20+2 => 8, 2 => 10

1d20+2 => 16, 2 => 18

5 Fortitude Saves:

1d20+4 => 9, 4 => 13

1d20+4 => 20, 4 => 24

1d20+4 => 11, 4 => 15

1d20+4 => 16, 4 => 20

1d20+4 => 18, 4 => 22

deltreey

Postby deltreey » Jun 5th, '17, 11:21

Zertius had some less fortunate wet cloth on his hands, making his climb much more unpleasant.

Fortunately, he also was effectively able to mitigate the damage he would've taken by climbing skillfully.

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Jun 5th, '17, 11:25

What does Zertius see now that he's made the climb? Thica's butt?

deltreey

Postby deltreey » Jun 5th, '17, 11:29

That is correct.

Namaphry

Postby Namaphry » Jun 5th, '17, 11:52

Is there room for Thica to strike at the hatch, or does it seem better to not get in the way?

deltreey

Postby deltreey » Jun 5th, '17, 11:54

Thica probably could've done this better than the half-orc, but this tunnel is not very large, so there is not room for 2 people side-by-side unless they are small or smaller creatures. You will have to wait it out in the tunnel.
Mostly just waiting on Glim's post.

Glim

Postby Glim » Jun 5th, '17, 11:55

"Are you guys okay up there?"

Bill will then turn back to the greater room and try to loot more rags. Gotta get that rope.

deltreey

Postby deltreey » Jun 5th, '17, 11:56

This is technically a search check. It will take you 20 minutes and require a perception roll. Are you sure you want to do that?

Glim

Postby Glim » Jun 5th, '17, 11:58

Yes.

Perception:
1d20+5 => 3, 5 => 8

deltreey

Postby deltreey » Jun 5th, '17, 12:15

While Bill went about gathering materials, the other two people followed up the tunnel. First the frail one.

Climb
1d20+5 => 8, 5 => 13

1d20+5 => 17, 5 => 22

1d20+5 => 14, 5 => 19

1d20+5 => 3, 5 => 8

1d20+5 => 7, 5 => 12

Fort
1d20-1 => 4, -1 => 3

1d20-1 => 12, -1 => 11

1d20-1 => 20, -1 => 19

1d20-1 => 14, -1 => 13

1d20-1 => 3, -1 => 2

He burned himself a bit, but seemed to get up to the top acceptably. Followed by the screamer.

Climb
1d20+4 => 9, 4 => 13

1d20+4 => 18, 4 => 22

1d20+4 => 12, 4 => 16

1d20+4 => 4, 4 => 8

1d20+4 => 13, 4 => 17

Fort
1d20-1 => 10, -1 => 9

1d20-1 => 17, -1 => 16

1d20-1 => 14, -1 => 13

1d20-1 => 2, -1 => 1

1d20-1 => 12, -1 => 11

Burning himself during the climb, he began to get worried about his handholds and make mistakes. He fell, just as he was reaching the others, but as he did, the loud echo of spellcasting erupted from him and he began to levitate upward. Having given himself away as a caster, he cursed quietly as he floated up next to the people holding onto the piping. Just as he did, the half-orc broke through and rays of sunlight burst in, temporarily blinding the climbers, allowing them to climb onto the dirt and grass around them.

The group found themselves on the side of a mountain. The mountain was covered in trees and foliage. It was not heavily forested at this point however, as the group was nearly at the top, maybe a 300-600 feet away from it. The air wasn't extremely thin, but the elevation was noticeable for those who'd spent most of their lives at sea level (read Thica). The world around them was strange and alive. Such a very different place from the cave they'd just left.

Bill's search continued. It may (or may not) take them a while to catch up to your timeline Bill, so you will see this at the end of posts until then.

Namaphry

Postby Namaphry » Jun 5th, '17, 12:23

Thica stayed near the hatch to help the others out. Seeing the sun after even one hour underground was a thrill, and being out of those corpse-filled caves was even better. The air was nice, she could take in the view, later.

After the burned man was out, she crouched near the exit, furrowed her brow for a moment, then yelled inside. "Hey, we made it out! ...Bill? BIIILLLL!" Not hearing any immediate reply, Thica shrugged and looks at everyone else, in a good mood despite her performance two seconds earlier. "I would have noticed him falling, wouldn't I? Anyway, there's enough plants up here to make what we need."

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Jun 5th, '17, 16:29

Zertius grabs a handful of earth, and slowly lets it drip to the ground as he utters a short prayer thanking Desna for their escape. Once that's over, Zertius begans looking around the distance to see if there is any sign of their jailers they needed to be wary about.

deltreey

Postby deltreey » Jun 5th, '17, 19:44

The air was crisp and fresh with the excitement of newfound freedom, until Thica shouted into the hole. Her voice was more prominent that one might recall, and it was at this point that something very different was evident about this place. It was quiet. The cave had been noisy, not just with the sound of people, but with the flow of lava, and the steam from the pipes. What had seemed like silence had been penetratingly loud, as if every movement was amplified. As a result, very little sound traveled into the cave system itself, and it was fairly obvious that Thica's plea would go unheard if Bill were not dead.

Zertius Survival Check:
1d20+3 => 1, 3 => 4

Looking around, a nearby tree provided a vantage point for Zertius to try and spot signs of life. With a quick climb, he did not see any other sentient beings nearby. As best he could tell, this place was probably deserted with the exception of the 5 newcomers.

Bill's search continued.

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Jun 5th, '17, 20:07

Zertius walks over the Thica and asks with a look of concern for little Bill, "Did you hear anything from your call?"

Namaphry

Postby Namaphry » Jun 5th, '17, 20:33

"Eh? More steam. I'm guessing that's not a good sign." Thica shrugs again and looks for anything she can use to make a long enough rope, vines, roots, or the like. Anything edible would be nice, too. Some roots are both, she might run into a quandary there.

Survival:
1d20+5 => 13, 5 => 18

deltreey

Postby deltreey » Jun 5th, '17, 22:55

The lush jungle environment further down the mountain provided for plenty of crafts. Up here, in the upper portion of the mountain, the resources were a bit more scarce. Given an hour, Thica was fairly certain she could start on a makeshift shelter, gather some basic food, and possibly locate a water source. Given a few seconds, stuck up here with her companions, she was able to pull a decent sized vine from the tree that Zertius had just climbed, giving her approximately 15 feet of makeshift rope. Her skill with survival also told her that, in a pinch, she might be able to get some water from the vine to drink, though it was not enough to sustain anyone long-term.

Given a length of rope to use as a gauge Thica, and her companions, were easily able to estimate that it was approximately 50 feet down to the alcove that they came in through. And the heat was nearly overwhelming here near the surface where all of the hot air congealed and escaped.

Bill's search continued.

Namaphry

Postby Namaphry » Jun 6th, '17, 02:25

"Alright... well... I guess he did fall in, then." Non-auditory evidence includes the lack of his light source, not that she needs to build a case. "Chef or no chef, I can get us some real food out here, so let's get a move on."

She wrings a bit of water out of her 'rope' (there's a bit more, now, thanks to the distillery down below!) and leads to where her intuition tells her is a good, safe place, with all the resources a band of castaways (or fugitives, in this case) need.

Knowledge (Geography) to guess which part of the world this is from the mountain view, direction of the coastline, local plants, etc..
1d20+3 => 6, 3 => 9

deltreey

Postby deltreey » Jun 6th, '17, 09:03

Namaphry, would you like to use an action die on that roll?

Namaphry

Postby Namaphry » Jun 6th, '17, 09:15

(No, I'd rather assume we're not going to reach level 2 after two encounters than speculate on how important it is to beat DC 10 while examining the local geography.)

deltreey

Postby deltreey » Jun 6th, '17, 09:42

Having spent most of her life on the ocean, at the coast, or at river port towns, Thica did not have much experience with mountainous terrain. She was aware that the most prominent mountains in the world were in a large chain, but this place didn't seem to fit that location in terms of both the existence of sea water implying an ocean, and the lack of other peaks visible in the distance in any direction. This place was an utter mystery to her, and it really didn't make sense in general. Where they were was still unknown.

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Jun 6th, '17, 09:44

Does Zertius recognize the terrain?

deltreey

Postby deltreey » Jun 6th, '17, 09:47

This place is a mountain. And you're near the top. There's still foliage etc. You're not able to get your bearings effectively while standing in this small clearing near the hatch you came out of. Would you like to try going up or down the mountain?

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Jun 6th, '17, 11:10

If there's so much foliage I can't see out of the mountain, can I climb something to get a better look?

deltreey

Postby deltreey » Jun 6th, '17, 11:18

You already climbed a tree. The day is sunny, but for some reason, there's nothing beyond clouds and more foliage visible at angles you're able to get to. You could climb the rest of the mountain. It's like 2 football fields to the top. That's not that far.

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Jun 6th, '17, 11:46

Zertius tells Thica, "I'm going to head to the top of the mountain to see if I can find anything different. Don't leave this area until I get back. And if I'm not back in 15 minutes or so, come looking for me."

Zertius then heads to the top of the mountain to see if he can spot anything different. He's also on the lookout for other "hatches" like the one they exited.

deltreey

Postby deltreey » Jun 6th, '17, 11:50

Perception check Zertius

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Jun 6th, '17, 11:59

1d20+4 => 6, 4 => 10

deltreey

Postby deltreey » Jun 7th, '17, 00:44

After his search, Bill was able to recover lots of small bits of cloth, but tying them together made each of them extremely tiny in size. Fortunately, he was able to cast light spells numerous times to help ease his search, doubling the amount of cloth he would have otherwise. Giving up on politeness, he even recovered the clothing from the half-woman and with it, combined with the material he'd manage to cobble together, he only had managed to make a menial eight feet of rope. Moving back into the alcove, he saw something else disconcerting. The water had begun to flow at a slightly faster pace into the tunnel they had found, and the steam was beginning to rise visibly from below. This place may not be traversable much longer.

For those atop the tunnel, 15 minutes of time passed relatively peacefully (Thica, you can take some actions during this time if you'd like). Then a subtle realization set it. Zertius did not return. There were now three separated groups of people, and the largest group was now missing a member that had explicitly tasked them with finding him if he were gone this long.

Namaphry

Postby Namaphry » Jun 7th, '17, 12:37

Thica noticed that none of the party stirred when she suggested they move on from the exit. She was starting to doubt whether there was much value to trying to work with this team when Zertius decided to go off alone... so she followed him, since standing around was useless.

Glim

Postby Glim » Jun 7th, '17, 14:17

Bill carefully checks the tunnel up and down. "They must have all fallen to their deaths." (How hot is the steam? Is it scalding?)

He will check that his wrappings are still dry, rough them up with a bit of dirt, stick his glowing rock in his mouth (please don't be poop) and then jump on the pipes and climb for dear life.

Climb:
1d20+1 => 5, 1 => 6

Climb:
1d20+1 => 2, 1 => 3

He will here attach his rope to some secure point and to himself, if he can.
Climb:
1d20+1 => 18, 1 => 19

Climb:
1d20+1 => 7, 1 => 8

Climb:
1d20+1 => 3, 1 => 4

Fort:
1d20+6 => 20, 6 => 26

Fort:
1d20+6 => 13, 6 => 19

Fort:
1d20+6 => 4, 6 => 10

Fort:
1d20+6 => 12, 6 => 18

Fort:
1d20+6 => 4, 6 => 10

(Do you want more checks because of my slower speed?)

Glim

Postby Glim » Jun 7th, '17, 14:50

Using up my action die
1d6 => 1 => 1
by adding it to the last climb check

deltreey

Postby deltreey » Jun 7th, '17, 14:55

Bill was finding that, while the temperature of the tunnel was less bearable, it was not yet scalding. It was quite clear that a prolonged period in it would be his death, but this short climb shouldn't affect him terribly. Conveniently, the ladder-like formation of pipes was easy to climb. Sadly, having waited all this time, the temperature of the pipes was less bearable. His wise decision to work with dry cloth made it more convenient to protect his hands, but his low climb skill combined with the extra steam on the walls of the tunnel made it nearly impossible for him to stop grabbing the pipes when the temperature became unbearable.

About halfway up came his first failure. He took
1d3 => 1 => 1
damage as the pipes burned him and he couldn't quite position his feet on the wet walls to hold himself in place.

As he nearly made it to the top, his second failure was a similar situation. Sadly, his grip on the hot pipes also slipped. By some unknown means, a bit of his inner strength kicked in and gave him just enough strength to keep hold of the hot pipes. Sadly, he still burned himself for
1d3 => 3 => 3
damage, scratching his way to the surface of the mountain.

Everyone, please level up to 2, having, as a group, made it to the surface of the mountain without dying.

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Jun 7th, '17, 15:29

OOC: Any particular leveling rules? Can we take average for hit die etc?

deltreey

Postby deltreey » Jun 7th, '17, 15:37

As per viewtopic.php?p=9045#p9045 you get Maximum HP and you will now have 2 Action Dice regardless of whether or not you used the one you got at 1st level.

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Jun 7th, '17, 16:08

Thanks. Forgot about maximum HP. Thanks.

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Jun 7th, '17, 16:15

Zertius level up: https://github.com/jrmiller82/rpg-chars ... 092990daa3 (that's a link to the github diff; let me know if there's any issues please).

deltreey

Postby deltreey » Jun 7th, '17, 23:04

Bill arrived at the surface to empty terrain. Zertius had left one direction, the rest of the group a different way entirely. He was standing in a strange forest near the top of a mountain, alone in the eerie quiet next to a steaming vent.

Thica's intuition gave her one very clear direction. Down, not up. Less life will be found near the top of a mountain than down lower, and while that would mean that there was less danger, it also meant it was generally harder to survive. This group needed water, food, and shelter. All of those things would be found down the mountain, so she headed in that direction.

Everyone is separated. Feel free to share what you're doing, but be respectful and try not to metagame.

Namaphry

Postby Namaphry » Jun 8th, '17, 00:56

Since the group was separated, and Thica was fond of company, she made sure to mark the trail on the way down, with piles of rocks, pieces of scorched cloth from their wrappings, or whatever else was handy. (She also had everyone make foot-wrappings from leaves, since walking across a mountain barefoot was going to raise complaints soon enough.) If the others were canny or curious, they'd notice the trail of artificial markers even if they knew nothing about tracking.

Forests were excellent places to find food, water, and shelter. Jungles less so, but Thica's home town had been surrounded by jungles, so it wasn't the worst. (The worst probably would have been a cold swamp, or barren desert.) She had to use an eye for the country to figure out where the rivers were, and how to avoid any more trouble from the volcano, but they had plenty of time, as it was; the mountain didn't seem to be more than a mile high.

Though that definitely ruled out 'the tides' as a reason for the caves filling with salt water. It made pumps and salt lakes improbable, too. Where the heck had it come from? If the others felt like talking, maybe they could brainstorm.

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Jun 8th, '17, 13:57

Zertius having made note that they were on an island, he thought that was strange considering he came by land to the prison, and that he was semi familiar with the lands around here. He was very concerned and decided to move it back towards the party near the hatch they came out of of.

On his way back, he's looking for any butterflies, butterfly shaped stones, buttefly shaped flower petals or pieces of wood, or any material he could fashion a small butterfly out of. But, speed of getting back to the party is the higher priority than mucking about in the mountain. He knows that farther down the mountain will likely have better foraging.

Glim

Postby Glim » Jun 8th, '17, 16:24

(Updated my character: viewtopic.php?p=9079#p9079 )

Bill is happy as a clam. More resources! But first he needs to rest. He'll slump down on the ground and just take in the fresh air, the sunlight, and nature's bounty.

He'll then start hunting around for something to use as a more reliable divine focus, and hopefully some food to boot.
Survival:
1d20+10 => 18, 10 => 28

Survival:
1d20+10 => 11, 10 => 21

Doing so he'll probably notice (for the first time) Thica's length of vine hanging down the hole, and maybe some broken branches on Zertius look-out tree.
Perception:
1d20+5 => 1, 5 => 6

If not, he'll probably put 2 and 2 together seeing the open hatch. At least some of his new friends must have made it out after all! Not able to contain himself and without a thought for any danger, he'll take a stick and start banging on the hatch like a maniac and shouting.

"MISS GAR?! GUYS?! ANYONE OUT THERE?!"

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Jun 8th, '17, 16:28

Would Zertius be able to hear Bil? Perception:
1d20+5 => 4, 5 => 9

deltreey

Postby deltreey » Jun 8th, '17, 16:31

Zertius and Thica, perception checks.

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Jun 8th, '17, 16:37

I rolled above ^ got a 9.

deltreey

Postby deltreey » Jun 9th, '17, 16:24

Thica and the three others made their way down the mountain, slowing frequently to erect rock mounds or stick-arrows to ensure that Zertius would be able to follow. It wasn't more than 10 minutes before the half-orc chimed in. "I smell food." he said, and started pushing ahead a bit, not to get away from the group, but instead to direct the group toward the potential source of sustenance.

Bill's survival skills were still in high gear when he arrived at the surface. Prepared to start punching trees to craft himself a sword, he took a careful look around and things seemed--a bit out of place. There was definitely someone around, because there were man-made changes here, rocks piled in a strange way, vines missing from trees and the like, not to mention the fact that the hatch looked like it had been recently snapped open ahead of him, something he certainly couldn't have done. He was easily able to follow it down the mountain, which is where his keen survival senses were leading him anyway. It took him about 15 minutes to catch up with Thica and crew in the wilderness that way, even at his slower pace due to the difficult terrain which he seemed to have no difficulty traversing.

"Food's not far now" Bill heard the half-orc say as he approached the group. They had been traveling for about 30 minutes and were making good progress due to the defined advantage of going downhill rather than up. A quick sniff of the air by Thica, Bill, or really anyone in the small group would catch a hint of smoke mixed in with that of the forest.

Zertius spent some time spotting things before he headed back toward the place where he had come out the hatch. Due to his previous discoveries he needed little skill to track his original location and came there fairly quickly, only about 30 minutes later than he had originally planned. You're still about 15 minutes behind the timeline of the group at this point. He was actually having difficulty figuring out where they had gone at all, but given that he hadn't seen them the most likely direction was down the mountain. Conveniently, or terrifyingly, that was also the direction of the smoke he had seen from the peak earlier.

I took a tiny bit of liberty here, but Thica, you can certainly can take some time to converse with your new travelling companions. The purpose is to get you all closer to being together again, because off on your own is a dangerous place you don't want to spend too much time pondering.

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Jun 9th, '17, 17:36

Zertius looks for any signs of a trail down the mountain and heads on down. This time, at a faster pace.

deltreey

Postby deltreey » Jun 9th, '17, 17:42

Survival/Perception check at this point. Pick one.

Namaphry

Postby Namaphry » Jun 9th, '17, 18:15

Thica warns the others, "If that's a campfire, they might not be friendly. Someone kicked me inside there just an hour ago, our 'jailers' could still be outside. Someone should scout them out carefully while we wait, so we can melt away if there's trouble." She looks at Bill, as if wondering if he's either the best or the worst for this task.

Glim

Postby Glim » Jun 9th, '17, 18:46

While traveling, Bill will keep an eye out for any fruit-bearing plants. In particular for squash, gourds, melons or coconuts - something that besides being nurturing, could also be used to store water.
(Just throwing a couple of rolls at you, just use whatever seems appropriate.)
Perception:
1d20+5 => 17, 5 => 22

Survival:
1d20+10 => 4, 10 => 14

Knowledge (nature):
1d20+7 => 2, 7 => 9

Wisdom:
1d20+3 => 6, 3 => 9

(I was going to catch Thica's eye and just whisper "The worst", but I guess he completely fails at reading her intent.)

"What are you looking at me for? Look, there's food and warmth and I'm sure they're not so bad. Probably escapees just like us, but with full tummies and about take a nice warm nap. Nobody makes trouble on a full stomach. Why not just go talk to them? I could give you this, if it's any comfort?" He holds out his bone knife for Thica to take.

Namaphry

Postby Namaphry » Jun 9th, '17, 19:09

"Oh, no thank you. You need it more than I do. Why don't you go first?" Thica replies, pleasantly. She found it a bit odd that Bill was telling her there was no danger and encouraging her to go in his place at the same time, but she did feel it would be futile to repeat herself, and was wondering if reverse psychology might be more effective.

deltreey

Postby deltreey » Jun 9th, '17, 23:19

Bill's keen senses told him one thing about his inability to find food. This area was picked clean. Berry bushes were cleared, fruits were harvested. There was nothing on this part of the mountain that was currently edible.

Glim

Postby Glim » Jun 10th, '17, 04:55

(Dammit. Any husks left, I really need containers?)

"Besides - and trust me, I got a knack for this - there's nothing else to eat in this place. Not that I would have left much behind, but whoever came before us does a good job at playing locust swarm."

"What do our new friends think about approaching this campfire? And if we decide to raid this camp, maybe we should wait for that other guy."

Namaphry

Postby Namaphry » Jun 10th, '17, 11:35

The sudden 90 degree turn from 'they're probably harmless' to 'if we decide to raid them' made Thica stare, then laugh, speechlessly. She didn't respond, but the others were still in earshot, so she let them answer the question.

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Jun 10th, '17, 12:35

deltreey wrote:Survival/Perception check at this point. Pick one.

Perception is one higher so
1d20+5 => 19, 5 => 24
. (survival would be a +4 instead)

deltreey

Postby deltreey » Jun 10th, '17, 13:18

The half-orc replied when asked without looking back, still hunting through the trees. "I'll get that food whether they want to give it or not." He seemed eager and not willing to wait much longer. This was made more evident by the rumbling sound coming from a region just below his chest.

Zertius was about to follow an animal trail down the hill, but his awareness was heightened somewhat and he was able to track the tiny rock formations and stick arrows. These man-made markers were safer to follow than random animal trails that could have hunter traps or worse on them.

Bill would you like to take a closer look to the "holy rock" you were holding in your mouth? If so, Knowledge nature would be relevant. Thica, Bill, what are you doing? Zertius is tracking down the hill for the next 30 minutes.

Namaphry

Postby Namaphry » Jun 10th, '17, 13:54

Thica will try to pick up a branch she can use as a weapon, if she hasn't found one already, while following the orc. She hasn't decided what to do, yet, when she reaches 'the food' by the campfire, but she doesn't want to be so far away she can't find out what's there or what the others are doing.

Glim

Postby Glim » Jun 10th, '17, 19:14

(Sure, I'll check out the hardened poo rock in the light of day.)
1d20+7 => 13, 7 => 20

"Okay Rumbly, here's the plan. Gar here stays with me to back me up, and you guys pincer around real quiet like. I'll step out of the bushes and see if theyse guys are friendly.
If they're friendly, the code phrase will be "Oh My Word", and you can step in calmly and introduce yourselves as my friends and maybe these guys they'll share their food.
If they're not friendly, the code phrase is "Goodness Gracious." Or "Oh shit.", or "Help!", or even the absence of any code phrase, and you guys all jump out and we take their food by force. Sound good?"

"Just to be sure: The reason we're not battling them right away is because there's probably safety in numbers, and these guys have already proven they can somehow get some food, which could be useful in the coming couple of days. So friends first, fight second, okay?"

"We really could use the other guy's help, but you guys seem to have ditched him perhaps a couple of shades too properly."

Namaphry

Postby Namaphry » Jun 10th, '17, 19:26

Thica didn't have any complaints with this plan, she just shrugged. "It's more like he ditched us. But, at any rate... Go ahead." She was more keen on observing than on participating in the confrontation ahead, but she'd see how it went.

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Jun 10th, '17, 21:00

OOC: I'm heading back!

deltreey

Postby deltreey » Jun 12th, '17, 09:39

Bill spit out his divine focus and took a closer look at it. It was tough and yellow, like aged bone. Normally, his intuitive knowledge of nature might not be enough, but this material had been in his mouth, played at by his tongue. The animal the bone was from was even clear: deer. A bit of inspiration, combined with a lifetime as a druid released one idea free from deep within his mind. In the old, old, old histories, there was talk of a deity of druids, explicitly oriented toward nature. It came to mind because her holy symbol was a mask with antlers attached. There was no way to know for sure how it had looked originally, but one of the many representations might have looked like this:

Named KissiTo (pronounced Kissy Toe), the True Neutral goddess of nature is one of those legends that was probably big and important a great many years ago, but has faded in time. If this was a divine focus, then it was from her. Why she would emerge now, or to a random halfling who might have just as easily attributed his powers to arcane magic as divine--well that was something else worth discovering.

Or maybe it was just a coincidence, and he'd come across some bit of a magical creature that had died. You never know for sure.

deltreey

Postby deltreey » Jun 12th, '17, 23:51

The half-orc responded to Bill's plan. In unison with nods from the other two, he said "Good plan." in a similar way that someone might say "good food".

Glim

Postby Glim » Jun 13th, '17, 11:56

"Positions then."

And as soon as everybody is out of sight, Bill will walk up to the campfire and holler: "Hello? Good people, good people! Mind if a weary traveler joins your comfy fire?"

deltreey

Postby deltreey » Jun 14th, '17, 09:09

Bill was, interestingly, the best suited to approach through heavy underbrush stealthily. Stealth Check please.

Doing a proper approach by anyone else might have taken minutes, but for Bill the rough terrain had almost no effect, except the obvious one of obscuring the view. The sight he approached was an unusual one. He saw a spit with a fresh hog on it, couldn't have been stuck more than five minutes ago. It was turning slowly under the unusually smokey fire. The fire itself was the least strange situation presented though, as it sat in a small clearing in the underbrush where there was still plenty of tree coverage next to a mud hut, complete with a roof made of large leaves. Some wood near the hut was hastily and sloppily chopped for the fire, as if decent tools were not available.

Bill went to speak to the inhabitants, but there was no one around. Perhaps they were in the hut, or perhaps they were off to gather more resources for the meal they looked to be preparing.

Glim

Postby Glim » Jun 14th, '17, 16:44

(but I'm not stealthing. Far from it, actually.)

Bill mimes a double take at seeing the spit, and hams it up:
"What is this? A magically turning spit?! Surely whomever hath enchanted it must be of great magical skill and grand renown! Verily, I shall introduce myself. And what great friends we'll be!"

He'll then approach whatever passes for a door and give it a good rap.
"Hellooo? Fair sorceress?"

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Jun 14th, '17, 16:45

OOC: when do I get to come back :)

deltreey

Postby deltreey » Jun 14th, '17, 17:11

A boy in rags opened the door. The clothes were recognizable as prison garb, but the muck and mire on them was noticeably greener than that of Bill. He glared at Bill. "I ain't no gurl." He said, with a thick rural accent and an angry tone that implied he'd just as likely fight Bill for the comment.

Glim

Postby Glim » Jun 14th, '17, 17:15

"Welp, apologies kind sir. Delighted to make your acquintance. Pray would you share your warmth and food with poor travellers? Frankincense is the name. Doctor Sylvester Frankincense. Of the Fabulous Frankincense Farmaceuticals. Familiar, I'm sure."

deltreey

Postby deltreey » Jun 14th, '17, 17:21

The boy peered at Bill for 10 long seconds before looking around and motioning to the pig. "I just got the one pig, and I'll only share what I don't eat. And you will leave after you eat or I will cast my magic and blow you all up." He seemed to be struggling with the idea of guests, but he didn't outright attack which was friendly enough perhaps.

Glim

Postby Glim » Jun 14th, '17, 17:31

"Thank you, thank you, thank you. A million thank you's to you, good lord."

This was the best deal ever. That scrawny kid would maybe eat one chop and the hog would be ours.

"And let me congratulate you on your enterprisingness and providence. From your garb I surmise that we've come from similarly dire straits, and here I am with nothing, only to encounter this bounty - the sturdiest hut in all the land, a feast worthy of a king, and a fire surpassed only by your blessed radiance. Pray tell, how have you managed to fare so well? How much time did it take to master this mountainside?"

deltreey

Postby deltreey » Jun 14th, '17, 18:05

Bill's diplomacy:
1d20+3 => 4, 3 => 7

Boy's sense motive:
1d20+5 => 12, 5 => 17

The boy shrugged and turned back toward the hut. "It'll be dark before it's done. Don't bother me again." Reaching inside he grabbed a wooden stick with a sharpened tip, wiped some of the blood on it off on his clothes and started to walk off into the woods.

Glim

Postby Glim » Jun 15th, '17, 14:09

When the boy is out of sight, Bill will dive into the hut to see if there's any more people holed up in there.

If not, he'll step outside again and go "Oh My Word, such a tasty-looking roast!"

deltreey

Postby deltreey » Jun 15th, '17, 14:28

Glim's perception
1d20+5 => 7, 5 => 12

Glim stepped into the hut and saw that it was supremely empty. For the most part it was as if it was intentionally empty, as if comfort when sleeping demanded that every twig and branch had been moved from the place one might sleep. The only not so empty bit was the debris he had brought in on his torn clothes.

The half orc came running out of the underbrush just seconds after the code word was said. Before anyone could say anything, he had torn a leg from the undercooked hog and taken a massive bite. The others arrived shortly after, most taking seats on logs strategically near the fire.

Anything you all want to do in the 20 minutes before Zertius catches up? The food will be cooking for another hour at least.

Glim

Postby Glim » Jun 15th, '17, 14:51

"I don't know if you heard, but the boy is apparently alone, and some kind of spellcaster. He'll be out for a while, and said we can take all the food he doesn't eat. I guess that means he gets to eat first" *stern look at the half-orc*

Namaphry

Postby Namaphry » Jun 15th, '17, 15:05

"Right. Looks like we're off to a good start," Thica comments sarcastically. She was hungry, but not in a desperate state, so she looked to the wilderness instead. "We could find some more to add to the meal, meat isn't everything."

Glim

Postby Glim » Jun 15th, '17, 15:10

"I've been keeping an eye out and I haven't spotted a single fruit on our way down. This forest seems ridiculously devoid of sustenance. But maybe we can dig up some roots, that must be what this little piggy was having before he got spitted."

deltreey

Postby deltreey » Jun 15th, '17, 16:35

Zertius arrived at camp to the half-orc and two humans by the fire. They mentioned that his friends were out foraging. The pig was starting to smell smoky and delicious, but it was mentioned that you're not supposed to eat it yet by the half-orc who had the remnants of a leg at his feet.

Bill and Thica took another look around for side-items for the fire. Their expertise in survival helped a lot, but also slowed them down. The boy's survival here meant he was likely to place traps for local animals, and they spotted a few, making them more wary of their movements. Further, because the area was so cleanly picked, it was a difficult task, but within their capabilities. With caution, they managed to recover a decent quantity of berries. They also spotted a rabbit in a snare while searching (Up to you if you want to take that). There was enough to snack on by the time they got back, about 40 minutes later, approximately 20 minutes after Zertius had arrived.

Everyone should be caught up together. Anything you want to do? Still another hour before dark, and the kid is nowhere to be found.

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Jun 15th, '17, 17:10

Zertius says, "Well thanks for leaving me up on the top..." He then starts looking around for a bowl or cup or something that could hold liquid.

deltreey

Postby deltreey » Jun 15th, '17, 17:12

The best options for liquid containers at this point are leaves. You could try whittling a bowl from a fallen branch if you had a knife.

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Jun 15th, '17, 17:46

Zertius wants to try and make a small basin or cup with some leaves. He'll settle for a curved ramp into his mouth.

deltreey

Postby deltreey » Jun 15th, '17, 18:04

easy enough, though it's very temporary

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Jun 15th, '17, 19:11

He does so and casts his crest water cantrip to fill it up and takes a big drink.

deltreey

Postby deltreey » Jun 15th, '17, 19:16

Zertius began the massive arm motions and loud chants necessary to complete the spell. As he did so, the others around the fire leapt backward and took defensive postures. The one human who disliked dead bodies seemed to be watching more intently than the others, and about halfway through seemingly dropped his guard and went to sit back down.

As it had in the past, the spell went off with Zertius new scar-holy-symbol brightly glowing as it did, and potable water began to bubble from the ground nearby. Zertius was easily able to get a drink of it as he remembered this to be the way that particular spell had always functioned.

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Jun 15th, '17, 20:08

OOC: thought I could create it wherever and however I want. I wanted it to come into the makeshift container.

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spell ... ate-water/

deltreey

Postby deltreey » Jun 15th, '17, 20:18

For some reason, that's not how it works for Zertius. You're just going to have to trust the DM there.

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Jun 15th, '17, 20:56

OOC: can you then let me know what else doesn't work according to the rules? It's just a create water cantrip. I'm not asking to jump on a chandelier and then grapple a dragon...

Namaphry

Postby Namaphry » Jun 15th, '17, 20:57

Thica isn't too concerned about being able to find clean water from other sources, so she's not in a hurry to lick up anything strange. She does nothing of much note in the remaining time, just making sure that aside from having a stick to use as a weapon if need be, that she'll also have somewhere to sleep tonight, and other mundane matters.

deltreey

Postby deltreey » Jun 15th, '17, 22:25

How are you handling getting a place to sleep Thica?

Namaphry

Postby Namaphry » Jun 16th, '17, 01:45

Given that there's no option to check into the hotel, Thica is most likely assembling it by hand from something approximating a decent shelter that's already available in the natural environment. Rocks. Trees. Preferably not dirt.

deltreey

Postby deltreey » Jun 16th, '17, 09:06

Building a temporary shelter will take a minimum of 3 hours. Is that what you want to do?

Namaphry

Postby Namaphry » Jun 16th, '17, 13:45

As long as she can take a break in the middle for dinner, sure, why not?

Return to “Tedpocalypse”