Glim

Re: Chapter 1: The Mages' Prison

Postby Glim » Aug 4th, '17, 12:30

position: J2

Perception:
1d20+5 => 16, 5 => 21

Initiative:
1d20+1 => 1, 1 => 2

If not surprised, Bill will load a rock in his sling.

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Aug 4th, '17, 12:42

Zertius is in the square south of the SW largest tree.
Find me on freenode with the username lhx in #texasxtremerpg or professionally at lawjrm.com
LMoP: GM - LMoP combat tracker OotA: GM - OotA combat tracker, Inventory Tedpocalypse: Zertius, Human Cleric

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Aug 4th, '17, 12:44

Initiative:

1d20+4 => 16, 4 => 20

Perception:
1d20+5 => 17, 5 => 22
Find me on freenode with the username lhx in #texasxtremerpg or professionally at lawjrm.com
LMoP: GM - LMoP combat tracker OotA: GM - OotA combat tracker, Inventory Tedpocalypse: Zertius, Human Cleric

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Aug 4th, '17, 13:48

Also, just rules clarification, we would have healed 1hp x hit dice over night right?

deltreey

Postby deltreey » Aug 4th, '17, 13:53

HP Recovery: Eight hours of normal rest allows a character to recover 1 hp per character level. A disabled character that is not aided by another can attempt a DC 10 Constitution check after resting for 8 hours, to begin recovering hit points naturally (see the disabled condition for additional rules.)

Twenty-four (24) hours of complete rest allows a character to recover 2 hp per character level.

Long-term care: A character recovers hit points at twice the normal rate if attended to by a character who successfully uses the Heal skill to provide “long term care.”

House Rule: A common house rule is to allow recovery of hit points from resting to also include the characters Constitution bonus. So, a character that has rested normally overnight would recover 1 hp per character level + his Con bonus

1hp per hit dice + con bonus * min one.

so a level 2 with an 18 con would have gained 6 points from resting for 8 hours

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Aug 4th, '17, 13:54

Thank you for clarification.

deltreey

Postby deltreey » Aug 8th, '17, 10:40

The group--aside from Ben--turned to spot a man approaching from the north. He were still pretty far off, but he was not doing a great job of being quiet about it. He was wearing face paint, much as one would for camouflage, but this was war paint. The marks across his face were red and white--the opposite of stealth. His clothing was tattered and tribal, much different from the prison garb the group was surviving in. This man had been here long enough to craft himself some basic gear. The group could see him carrying a spear that was much finer crafted than the ones the group had recovered from previous enemies. He held it high above his head as if in preparation for a throw--finely crafted indeed if this thing could fly true. He was waving to the group When he saw you notice him, his hand signal turned from a stop sign to a sharp cut and he struck it down toward the ground and let out a high pitched whistle that screeched through the forest. As he did, nearly a dozen other men emerged in similar dress, carrying similarly crafted spears. They charged.

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Aug 8th, '17, 19:16

We in rounds?

deltreey

Postby deltreey » Aug 8th, '17, 19:17

yupperz

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Aug 8th, '17, 20:26

(Who's first?)

deltreey

Postby deltreey » Aug 8th, '17, 20:36

Half-Orc Initiative:
1d20-1 => 19, -1 => 18

Ben Initiative:
1d20+2 => 7, 2 => 9

Skinny Guy Initiative:
1d20+3 => 15, 3 => 18

Enemy Initiative:
1d20 => 3 => 3

Bill Initiative: 2
Thica Initiative: 8
Zertius Initiative: 20

You are lhx. But as before, technically it all happens in a simultaneous 6 seconds, so you really should just take your actions. I'll work them out if they don't perfectly fit in my wrap up for the round. I'm not here to screw you over.

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Aug 8th, '17, 20:45

OOC: Zertius, knowing that he's not up to full health, and gambling that the others could use a top off as well, is going to channel energy for
1d6 => 5 => 5
healing to all non-undead in a 30' radius, and dealing the same amount of damage to any undead in the radius if they fail a DC 13 Will save, or half if successful save.

IC: Zertius lifts his forearm to towards the sky and calls out, "Desna, give us strength in our travels and aid us in our struggle..." (and casts channel energy as above).

Glim

Postby Glim » Aug 9th, '17, 00:15

(Am I small B or big B? If small B, I'm out of range for the channeling, right?)

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Aug 9th, '17, 01:29

Are you guys more than 6 squares away? I would've moved to cover everyone.

deltreey

Postby deltreey » Aug 9th, '17, 09:33

The halfling is a small character. Therefore you're the small B. I also made you the same colors as the previous battle to make things easier.

You are in range for channeling, just at the edge.

Glim

Postby Glim » Aug 10th, '17, 11:34

(Thanks for clearing that up, I had a dumb.)

When Bill is up, he'll throw a rock at the nearest target (assuming they're within 50ft).
1d20+4 => 8, 4 => 12

1d3-1 => 3, -1 => 2

Namaphry

Postby Namaphry » Aug 11th, '17, 15:22

Thica wasn't terribly alarmed--the enemies were so far away she was barely aware of them. She slid into cover behind the nearest tree, with deceptive timing to avoid being caught in the act, and held her staff ready. She didn't seem have any tactical advice to offer, this time.

Bluff to create a diversion to hide:
1d20+3 => 8, 3 => 11

Stealth:
1d20-6 => 9, -6 => 3
(+10 for those who weren't in line of sight when she moved)

Glim

Postby Glim » Aug 12th, '17, 19:45

(Thica's hiding gives me an idea, preferably I'd say the following before we enter combat, and also elaborate a bit, but I guess we're pretty committed by now. Also, I'm super last, so I guess chronologically it won't make sense either way, but I hope you will let me.)

"Hide people, I have a plan"

(I guess it's too late to talk now, but that message also conveys my thanks to Zertius :P )

deltreey

Postby deltreey » Aug 15th, '17, 09:57

Zertius stepped a bit closer to the center of the group upon seeing the enemies in the distance. He called out to his god and raised his arm to the sky. A glow of light burst out from the symbol carved into his arm and the adventurers felt rejuvenated for battle.

Everyone gets 5hp.

The skinny man moved next, running up to a nearby tree for cover, trying to close the distance on the enemy.

The half-orc followed suit, with a bit less concern for stealth. He was further back, however, so he moved more to the west to cut off their approach.

Ben moved in as well, not as aware of the threat, but more following his friends as they moved into battle formations.

Thica followed the Skinny man's tactics and tried to take cover.

As the painted men charged in--few of them showing enough concern for themselves to take cover--ten more of them emerged from further back trees and bushes. This was practically an entire army. How many more waited even further back in the woods?

Bill's words, spoken as he picked up a rock and looked out at the swarm of enemies, seemed more rational in perspective.

"Hide people, I have a plan"

OOC: sorry for the delayed post. life is crazy atm

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Aug 15th, '17, 14:31

No worries. :) End of summer is always crazy.

Zertius wants to follow Bill's instruction: he wants to move to the square that is 2 South and 3 East of current position, crouching below the ridge from the grass to the beach. He'll have his club at the ready as well.

Glim

Postby Glim » Aug 19th, '17, 18:27

Bill will put away his sling and rocks and will start walking northwards, past Zertius and Thica, toward the approaching horde. Arms outstretched, palms open.

deltreey

Postby deltreey » Aug 24th, '17, 10:37

The attack was formidable.

Zertius moved behind the small outcropping and took cover.

The skinny man rushed up to try to get a better vantage point from cover.
Stealth:
1d20+8 => 9, 8 => 17

The half-orc moved up, but couldn't make it into attack range.

Ben charged in and punched the first enemy,
Charge Attack:
1d20+17 => 14, 17 => 31

connecting with incredible accuracy,
Damage:
1d6+7 => 2, 7 => 9

but the damage was somewhat disappointing.

Thica attempted to stay behind the tree.

The painted man in combat with Ben, took a swing with his spear,
Attack:
1d20+5 => 6, 5 => 11

and Ben's charge had thrown him off balance just enough for the attack to connect,
Damage:
1d6+3 => 6, 3 => 9

doing substantial damage.
Another 2 painted men rushed up and joined in the melee,
Attack:
1d20+5 => 16, 5 => 21

Attack:
1d20+5 => 13, 5 => 18

connecting cleanly,
Damage:
1d6+3 => 6, 3 => 9

Damage:
1d6+3 => 2, 3 => 5

and piercing Ben's shirt, causing blood to stain the cloth further.

The others moved up, some of them reaching attack range on the half-orc,
Thrown Spear:
1d20+2 => 16, 2 => 18
*+2
Damage:
1d6+3 => 2, 3 => 5

Thrown Spear:
1d20+4 => 14, 4 => 18

Damage:
1d6+3 => 5, 3 => 8

Thrown Spear:
1d20+4 => 9, 4 => 13

Damage:
1d6+3 => 1, 3 => 4

and some of them reaching attack range on Ben,
Thrown Spear:
1d20+2 => 15, 2 => 17
*+2
Damage:
1d6+3 => 1, 3 => 4

Thrown Spear:
1d20+4 => 13, 4 => 17

Damage:
1d6+3 => 6, 3 => 9

Thrown Spear:
1d20+4 => 5, 4 => 9

Thrown Spear:
1d20+4 => 8, 4 => 12

Damage:
1d6+3 => 4, 3 => 7

With multiple spears sticking out of both Ben and the Half-Orc on the front lines, and a terrifying number of enemies in range to attack in the upcoming round, Bill's plan looked more like shock as he dropped his weapon and approached the incoming enemies.

Namaphry

Postby Namaphry » Aug 24th, '17, 11:02

Thica was flabbergasted by her allies' seemingly suicidal charge, and the lack of care that went with it. She resented the idea of rushing to their rescue even on principle, and was starting to consider an escape... though surviving on her own with a hostile army about wasn't going to be pleasant, either.

"If this goes badly, you might not want to get separated," she commented to Zertius, almost conversationally.

There seemed little else to do than to stay aware of the situation, and perhaps return a thrown spear, violently, if it landed close by.

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Aug 24th, '17, 12:29

Zertius says to Thica, "Think we should run for it? I'm worthless in a fight with this club..."

Glim

Postby Glim » Aug 27th, '17, 11:50

Readying an action (groveling) for when enemies get within ear-shot (60 feet?)

Namaphry

Postby Namaphry » Aug 27th, '17, 16:25

"We'll need to go left... you might want to get started." Thica considered the logistics of running in to pick up Bill and carry him out like a halfling sportsball. She didn't relish the idea, as his habit of wandering off seemed to be a troublesome one. She decided to get his attention. "Bill."

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Aug 27th, '17, 17:13

Seeing that we're about to start running; if Zertius still can, he's going to cast longstrider on himself and move the maximum he can to the West.

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/l/longstrider/ = +10ft base speed.

Glim

Postby Glim » Aug 28th, '17, 13:57

Bill looks at Thica, seeing her jerk her head westward. There's a look of confusion on his face. That's not the plan at all.

She whispers harsher now. Bill! He shrugs and holds his hands up. Who me? She jabs her finger at him. Yes you. He taps his head. Did you think this through? Misinterpreting she gestures back, rudely. He gestures apologizingly. She waves him over once more. He starts pantomiming a running person, who gets really tired really quickly. She looks back confused. He starts to mime again, then thinks better of it and claps hia hands to his mouth forming a cone. Seeing her pale, he thinks better of that too.

Eventually he'll scurry towards his friends.
Whispered: My plan was to surrender peacefully, because we probably can't outrun them, and your plan is to outrun them and not surrender. I'm all for it, but I'm pretty guaranteed to lag behind..."

His mind goes back to his childhood for a brief moment. We see urchins racing from an apple orchard, chased by a farmer brandishing a rake.
"Take your pick. Eat your fill. All you gotta do is outrun Bill." they sing-song, as a fat little halfling kid is by far the last over the fence.

deltreey

Postby deltreey » Aug 28th, '17, 18:56

The squabble among the party distracted them a bit from the battle at hand. The death of the half-orc pulled their attention back to the fight. The number of spears in his chest made him look like a porcupine. He fell over, propped up by the spears themselves.

The boy, injured pretty badly, was surrounded by corpses of painted men--at least 10, with more in the distance looking as though he had chucked spears at them to kill them. There must have been even more involved in the fight, because in spite of the carnage, he was still swarmed and losing the fight.

Something else strange was beginning to emerge from various holes in the ground that weren't evident before. Leathery skinned humanoid creatures of various colors lifted up out of the dirt, followed shortly by larger creatures that looked more wolf-like. Worg riders were coming out of the ground itself and slaughtering the painted men. Ben spotted it before his attackers did, and turned and ran back toward the group, taking cover behind a tree. He did not go unnoticed, but one of them seemed to acknowledge him before returning to the fight. Perhaps they did not see him as a threat. After they stopped paying attention to him, he turned into a crow again and flew over to the group, listening in on the conversation.

This would be pretty messy on the map, and unless you're planning to attack drawing it would be pretty pointless.

Namaphry

Postby Namaphry » Aug 28th, '17, 19:38

"To put it bluntly, we're not an army. Let's get out of here." Thica offered to carry Bill on her shoulders, so that the group could escape from the mess in a hurry.

deltreey

Postby deltreey » Aug 28th, '17, 19:49

"I told you the water was contested." The crow noted, as part of the conversation.

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Aug 28th, '17, 20:55

Zertius replies back, "Do you know a safe place?" As he continues to flee.

Glim

Postby Glim » Aug 29th, '17, 11:31

Clambering all over Thica:
"Didn't know you were going to run headlong into the contest... Anyway, let's get as far away from the water as we can, then."

Namaphry

Postby Namaphry » Aug 29th, '17, 13:45

Thica begins moving (left on the map), with moderate stealth. She can hurry up if there's signs of pursuit.

deltreey

Postby deltreey » Aug 29th, '17, 22:46

As the group started moving west, Ben followed in bird-form. "It's a prison for the worst of the worst. There really isn't a safe place." He said to Zertius.

Namaphry

Postby Namaphry » Aug 30th, '17, 13:31

"If it's for 'the worst', why are we here? I wasn't even the worst at that table." She glances toward Bill and Zertius, though she politely refrains from comparing herself unfavourably to them. "And what about those wolves they were riding? You're not telling me they send wolves to prison."

She's not too concerned about the 'safe place' notion, seeing as 'away from the clashing armies' is safe enough in her estimation.

deltreey

Postby deltreey » Aug 31st, '17, 17:50

Ben chuckled, a strange sound coming from a bird.

"Yeah, I'm innocent too. I think everyone in here's innocent. All of us are wrongfully imprisoned." The last words sounded emphasized not intentionally, but more because they're probably at the upper end of his vocabulary.

Namaphry

Postby Namaphry » Aug 31st, '17, 17:54

Thica stayed skeptical of this, too. "I'm going to go with 'inexplicably'. I'll save 'wrongfully' for when we have any idea of why we're here."

deltreey

Postby deltreey » Aug 31st, '17, 17:59

It wasn't long before the smallest of the group, the halfling, started falling behind. The group had put some distance between themselves and the battle, but they could still hear the bloodshed in the distance. The skinny man emerged from behind a nearby tree as they slowed down, an obvious injury of his own showing. "You could've at least warned me that your plan was to run away. I nearly died out there!". His voice sounded raspy from disuse, or perhaps dehydration.

Ben ignored him. "I think we're near the broken part." He added, as if this helped the conversation in some way.

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Aug 31st, '17, 18:23

Zertius says to Ben "the broken part in the wall?"

Zertius gets closer to the skinny man and will cantrip a mouthful of water for him.

Namaphry

Postby Namaphry » Aug 31st, '17, 23:05

Thica folds her arms, vaguely disapproving, though she's secretly relived that the man not only managed to escape, but was also able to track them down.

"My plan was to wait for them to come to us. If I'd stuck to the plan, 'we', or at least I would have ambushed them after you three were defeated... which is why I scrapped it. I didn't have much warning that you intended to fight them head-on, either, you know. We got lucky, as it was.

"We should stick together if something like that happens again, so they can't take us on only one or two at a time. They seem a little more organized than I was expecting."

Glim

Postby Glim » Sep 1st, '17, 00:26

(I'm on Thica's back, no lagging from me.)

Bill whispers in Thica's ear:
"So Skinny here manages to extract himself from a 20 to 1 combat, then escapes, then evades both the tribe and the wolfriders, and then tracks us so fast that he nearly overtakes us."

"With our luck all those other guys ganged up and are probably one step behind us, or in ambush behind the next tree or something."

"And then he'll have his big moment where he reveals he's changed sides, takes revenge for us abandoning him and sells us into slavery/sacrifice to the other guys."

Namaphry

Postby Namaphry » Sep 1st, '17, 11:13

Thica replies, more audibly, "Except they were in the middle of fighting mounted opponents, and were about as likely to stop and work out a deal as we were to sit down and have tea." She shakes her head.

deltreey

Postby deltreey » Sep 2nd, '17, 11:05

The skinny man bent down and scooped up some water as the puddle appeared from some nearby tree roots. He nodded at Zertius in thanks.

Simultaneously, Ben--the crow--also nodded at Zertius in response to his question. It seemed he was referring to a damaged part of the wall.

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Sep 2nd, '17, 12:09

Does Zertius have any insight or idea what'/ going in with his spells?

deltreey

Postby deltreey » Sep 2nd, '17, 14:22

Note: Conjuration spells can’t create substances or objects within a creature. Water weighs about 8 pounds per gallon. One cubic foot of water contains roughly 8 gallons and weighs about 60 pounds.

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/c/create-water/

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Sep 2nd, '17, 16:12

I didn't want to create a cubic foot of water...

This spell generates wholesome, drinkable water, just like clean rain water. Water can be created in an area as small as will actually contain the liquid, or in an area three times as large
Rule doesn't say i can't put water in his mouth...

deltreey

Postby deltreey » Sep 3rd, '17, 13:08

You cannot create water inside a creature, otherwise you could drown people with it, kill babies by filling their basinets, and other horrible things. It is in the rules. This is not a cantrip that can be used for combat. You can conjure water from anywhere. Drown is a different spell.

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Sep 3rd, '17, 13:45

You're the GM so I'll abide but... I understand I can't drown something with the cantrip; but, I don't see how that precludes a single mouthful of water that's created once.

deltreey

Postby deltreey » Sep 3rd, '17, 13:50

Reasons:
1. What precludes you from doing it while someone's sleeping?
2. What precludes you from doing it in someone's lungs instead of their mouth?
3. The basinet example.

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Sep 3rd, '17, 13:55

Well I'm pretty sure the basinet example would be legal assuming the basinet is water tight and you're high enough level to make enough water to fill the basinet high enough. The spell makes 2 gallons of water per level at its max.

The other two I'll abide by. The rules do say that conjuration spells in general can't make their effects inside creatures; I figured it was not essential to the story to make some water in someone's mouth to help them so would be hand waived.

deltreey

Postby deltreey » Sep 3rd, '17, 13:58

4. putting water in a mage's mouth mid-cast.

The spell has no save and no SR, so I have to make sure that it is never used in an overpowered way. The simple solution is: the water bubbles up from the ground. There are RP reasons for it (i.e. other spells that limit the way your magic works) but that's substantially more complicated than your character knows/understands at his level.

Glim

Postby Glim » Sep 4th, '17, 14:21

"What the heck Ben, I can't believe you didn't tell us about the breached wall before."

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Sep 4th, '17, 14:44

"He did. Said it shocked him or something."

Namaphry

Postby Namaphry » Sep 4th, '17, 14:44

"He offered to show us the way just before we came under attack," Thica recalled. "Presumably there's something wrong with it, given that he's still here."

deltreey

Postby deltreey » Sep 5th, '17, 10:04

"Well, they're watching for one." Ben replied, changing out of bird form, a small boy now sitting on the branch of the tree the party was using for extra cover "just in case".

Namaphry

Postby Namaphry » Sep 5th, '17, 11:55

"If there's only one way out, and it's a small hole, it would be rather easy to watch it, yes," Thica muses. "And even a moderately powerful wizard has ways to discourage an army from crowding through a small hole. So we'd need to try a subtler approach. Unfortunately, we can't all change into birds.

"What have you seen outside, here? And what have they done to keep you from flying away, after you're outside?"

deltreey

Postby deltreey » Sep 5th, '17, 11:59

"Water mostly. I don't go far. I belong here." He said, almost prideful about the words.

Namaphry

Postby Namaphry » Sep 5th, '17, 12:10

"That's very fortunate for you, since you're here. I'd rather be somewhere with a silk market, a steel industry, and a tavern. I'd settle for bronze, linen, and a goat farm... but either way, I don't belong here at all, and I'm more than a little offended that some old man decided otherwise.

"Where did you get the idea that you, or anyone else 'belongs here', anyway?" Thica was incredulous, but also slightly curious.

deltreey

Postby deltreey » Sep 5th, '17, 12:13

"Why else would we be here?" The boy replied in an almost repetitious pattern.

Namaphry

Postby Namaphry » Sep 5th, '17, 12:19

Thica shook her head. At least years of leading a street gang gave her plenty of patience when it came to explaining things. "We're here because someone decided to put us here. That has about nothing to do with the question of 'where we belong', whatever that means. Why do you think we're here?"

deltreey

Postby deltreey » Sep 5th, '17, 12:21

The boy shrugged. The look on his face and the way he responded to the questions was beginning to imply something somewhat terrifying. He may not have been old enough to remember the outside world.

Glim

Postby Glim » Sep 10th, '17, 10:28

"Well, he is the keeper's familiar after all. Sure he belongs. Doesn't mean that we have to stay. Now show us the gap. It can't be worse than what we're running from."

deltreey

Postby deltreey » Sep 12th, '17, 09:43

Ben hopped down from his branch lithely. He then led the way through the trees for another half hour of walking. When you reached the destination, it was obvious. A section of the wall was visible, complete with a clear layout of stone bricks. It did not reach the height of the wall completely, but the portion that was visible had a hole in it--a hole exactly one brick in size (the small side of the rectangular prism), leading beyond it, and scorch marks all around it.

Something else was strange here. The trees had normally had no issue with the wall, but one here did. It had only one branch extended toward the wall, and it seemed to cut off entirely at the wall, as if severed. The damaged portion of the wall would have been visible even if the wall weren't as well. The ground near it was lacking in life with a bit of scoring and blackening.

How this was done was clearly a mystery, but someone had clearly mad an attempt to destroy the wall here. It looked only moderately successful.

Namaphry

Postby Namaphry » Sep 12th, '17, 12:12

Thica speculated on what had happened, and decided it would be less tedious if she performed a little test. "I'm going to try something. I recommend staying out of the way."

Using her improvised rope, she looked for a branch she could pull back like an elastic, and release it to whip across the wall, taking cover as she did so.

Glim

Postby Glim » Sep 13th, '17, 13:31

Bill tries to stick his hand through the hole.

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Sep 13th, '17, 13:46

Zertius is going to watch Bill try to stick his hand through the hole.

deltreey

Postby deltreey » Sep 13th, '17, 13:53

3d6 => 3, 4, 1 => 8

And Bill reflexes to get his hand back out:
1d20+2 => 11, 2 => 13

3d6 => 6, 4, 6 => 16
extra damage, which is halved because the reflex DC was only 10 since you were in control of your hand.

16 points total

Bill reached into the hole and was immediately struck with the shocking damage the boy had mentioned, quite powerful at that, and it seemed like it would continue to strike him as long as he kept his hand there.

The boy was wincing and cowering again, as Thica got hold of a large enough and flexible enough branch to get it to whip the wall. As it did, the electricity visibly arced to the leaves and wood and the branch caught fire, flinging sparks and flaming leaves about a bit as it bounced back and forth.

Glim

Postby Glim » Sep 13th, '17, 14:01

"Sorry Bennie, old boy. I thought you were messing with us. Turns out you were right. Good boy."

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Sep 13th, '17, 16:52

"Well... so it's pretty clear we're not getting out that way unless we can make a much larger hole in the wall." Zertius would like to detect magic again since there's a break in the wall; he wants to see if it's any different here.

"Hey guys, I might pass out again; come wake me up if I do..."

deltreey

Postby deltreey » Sep 13th, '17, 19:33

Zertius' spell went off without a hitch, the blinding light overwhelmed him, and he got a good 2-3 seconds in before he had to give up on the spell or pass out again. 2 things were evident: the wall still had a lot of magic, and the wall wasn't the only thing radiating magic. The sky, the clouds, the very air around him was pungent with magic. This whole place was magical. Releasing the spell and looking around, something else was unusual. Storm clouds seemed to be accumulating again.

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Sep 13th, '17, 20:00

Zertius shook his head from the blinding magic energy. "Well, every single thing in this place as far as I can tell is magical. And look, there's another storm brewing." Zertius points towards the gathering storm clouds.

Namaphry

Postby Namaphry » Sep 13th, '17, 22:38

Thica was suspicious, and tried to eye whether the storm had come naturally, or had only come as a result of their (or someone else's recent actions.

Knowledge (Nature):
1d20+4 => 5, 4 => 9

"Let's head for shelter, then. I'm not in the mood for laying siege to this thing." She'd lead the search if Ben didn't already have a destination for them.

Glim

Postby Glim » Sep 13th, '17, 23:03

"Just by the way, do we look magical?

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Sep 13th, '17, 23:04

"Ya know I wasn't paying attention. Everyone hold still."

Zertius is going to detect magic on everyone in the party.

deltreey

Postby deltreey » Sep 14th, '17, 08:21

No Zertius, the characters are not magical. Note that you could not see if they were casters with detect magic, that requires the higher level arcane sight spell.

Hard to say Thica. Nothing here makes sense in nature. Invisible brick walls?!?

If you're taking cover, where would you like to go?

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Sep 14th, '17, 09:37

"Nope. Nothing innately magical about us."

Glim

Postby Glim » Sep 21st, '17, 15:40

Listening for sounds of pursuit.
Perception:
1d20+5 => 9, 5 => 14

deltreey

Postby deltreey » Sep 21st, '17, 15:42

Distant thunder and screams of distant battle is the only thing to ring across Bill's ears. No apparent nearby pursuers.

Namaphry

Postby Namaphry » Sep 21st, '17, 23:06

Thica's flat expression, as she leaned on her staff, suggested she was not impressed with the magical inspection. Though perhaps she wasn't impressed with the hole in the wall or her and Bill's experiments with it, either. There was very little she was impressed by in the vicinity other than Ben's ability to change into a bird, and impale grown men in an instant with his bare hands.

Gesturing vaguely toward the woods, she reiterated her suggestion. "Storm's coming, let's find shelter again."

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Sep 22nd, '17, 00:14

Zertius mutters a prayer, "Desna lend me clarity to the situation. I'm lost with no compass and going in circles..."

He then looks to the others like, "well"?

deltreey

Postby deltreey » Sep 22nd, '17, 08:14

While Zertius was in prayer, his mind was able to focus, as prayer and meditation often allows the mind to do. Something else was strange about the detect magic spells. Magic's complexity demonstrated something new.

See, the air always has magic in it. The weave of magic in the air is the very manipulation he used to cast spells, but Zertius wasn't a wizard. He didn't know all the details. He had, however, cast detect magic before. Never had the magic in the air been so blinding as it was here. In order to determine that the party was not magical, he had to literally put his face up to their skin, holding the halfling's arm to his face earlier.

And it dawned on him, perhaps a gift from Desna, or perhaps something else. Maybe not everything here was magical. Maybe it was just...the air...

As he did, Ben grabbed a vine hanging from the strange tree and used it to swing a bit. It was surprisingly strong, not only able to hold him up, but he placed himself at an angle against the tree like an acrobat, looking across the forest. "Storms are pretty common. After last night, there isn't much debris to worry about. We'll probably be fine...unless there's a mudslide. Did you guys want to try to break the wall or something?" For reference, he looks a bit like this https://images.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fimg0.etsystatic.com%2F133%2F0%2F10756807%2Fil_fullxfull.978447984_rxyz.jpg&f=1.

Perception checks please.

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Sep 22nd, '17, 09:06

"Everyone, I just had a vision from Desna. What if it's the air in here that is keeping us prisoner? Maybe we figure a way to bust a bigger hole in the wall and it will let the air out and the wall will stop shocking us? What can we use to bust it up some more?"

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Sep 22nd, '17, 09:08

1d20+5 => 8, 5 => 13
perception.

Namaphry

Postby Namaphry » Sep 22nd, '17, 10:54

"'The air'?" Thica decided it was better not to argue about that. "I'm all for breaking out, but we wouldn't have the tools to break through the wall even if it didn't strike down whatever tried it with fire and lightning. We could build a catapult, but it could take us years. Even just making enough quality glue would probably take months, and that's if we find somewhere safe to store it."

She struggled to think of something more positive to say. "Maybe there's some huge animals we could tame? I don't think we could convince them to charge and headbutt it more than once, though."

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Sep 22nd, '17, 11:14

"Can we make a battering ram from a tree?"

Namaphry

Postby Namaphry » Sep 22nd, '17, 11:39

"Sure. If we're going to try that, I'm going to make clothes to protect myself from the fire and shrapnel, and hold it from the back." Thica did not specify who she expected to hold up the front of the ram.

Glim

Postby Glim » Sep 22nd, '17, 11:45

"How would we cut it down? We hardly have two rocks to bang together. Unless..."

"Ben. Back at your camp you.. ah." the halfling shivers at the thought ".. killed that man with an iron spike. Can you do that again? Can you detach the spike, by any chance?"

"As for the ram: once we have a log we could maybe suspend it from that tree with that vine and swing it into the wall?"

Namaphry

Postby Namaphry » Sep 22nd, '17, 11:58

"We'd need something a bit more robust, but with enough ropes and a strong enough frame... we might be able to set up a ram we can pull back and let swing without pushing it all the way up to the wall. That's safer for us, though it still might blow itself apart. I suppose that's something to think about if we find ourselves with nothing better to do for a few months..." Thica wasn't too thrilled with this idea, even though it seemed like a workable plan.

Architecture and Engineering check, to see if Thica has ever heard of 'wrecking balls' before.
1d20+3 => 4, 3 => 7

(And another check to determine if she's familiar with adamantine.
1d20+3 => 17, 3 => 20
)

deltreey

Postby deltreey » Sep 22nd, '17, 12:16

Skinny guy perception:
1d20+10 => 20, 10 => 30

The injured skinny man observed the situation with everyone else. "Psycho cleric, where's that rock you were throwing?" he said to Zertius.

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Sep 22nd, '17, 12:24

"I... uh... It got stuck somewhere; I never saw it come down. But that was back by the water and the big fight. Did you see what happened to it?"

deltreey

Postby deltreey » Sep 22nd, '17, 12:25

"So it went over?"

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Sep 22nd, '17, 12:26

"Maybe, couldn't tell." Zertius looks for another rock to start throwing at the wall to see if he can throw it over.

deltreey

Postby deltreey » Sep 22nd, '17, 12:30

The skinny man's voice was still gruff, even after the water. It took a moment to understand him, but the words did get through. After Zertius agreed and went back to throwing rocks again, he returned to being quiet.

It took a few tries, but having done it before, it wasn't long before Zertius found a way to throw a rock high enough to disappear again. He could estimate the height of the wall now, surprisingly low, maybe 30 feet. Sadly, no trees crossed at that height here...as if tall trees were kept away from the wall. Plus the curve making one assume the wall was a dome, and the damage it did deterring one from investigating further.

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Sep 22nd, '17, 14:34

"Ben, can you go fly up there where my rock disappeared? It looks like the wall is gone there." Zertius points, grabs another rock and throws so Ben can see if he needs it.

Namaphry

Postby Namaphry » Sep 22nd, '17, 14:40

After a few false starts, Thica decided to start looking for materials for another test. "We can lash together a long enough pole and drape branches from it to 'feel out' the top of the wall. We'll just need some vines and long, straight sticks to bind together."

Glim

Postby Glim » Sep 22nd, '17, 15:17

"Gar, you're a genius."

Bill too jumps into the bushes, trying to gather as many long sticks and vines as he can find.

deltreey

Postby deltreey » Sep 22nd, '17, 16:14

"I don't want to risk touching that wall. Could you try finding where it ends first?" Ben replied, motioning to the already active halfling.

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Oct 5th, '17, 22:15

Zertius continues to throw rocks trying to find out for sure where it ends. "Ben, watch the rocks closely..."

Return to “Tedpocalypse”