Chaos in the Colonies! Information and Applications

Namaphry

Chaos in the Colonies! Information and Applications

Postby Namaphry » Jul 3rd, '17, 20:30

A game set in the Birthright Campaign Setting for D&D, beginning in the colony of Mieries.

Mieres, widely known as of late as a hive of scum and villainy, is a former colony of the mighty Anuirean Empire, the one that once spanned the breadth of the great continent of Cerilia, and beyond. The empire has fallen, but so did the barony of Mieres. The land is now a colony of the Principality of Avanil, one of the three largest surviving successor states of old Anuire. Today's governor of Mieres is a wicked man, one who gained his position through assassination (though it hasn't been proven!), and has been allowed to continue his reign of corruption only because he continues to pay gold in tribute to Prince Darien Avan, the current head of Avanil.

Separated by the sea from the politics of central Anuire, the only neighbours of Mieres are uncivilized beastmen and the sea lanes. The local economy is largely built on controlling trade and building ships, which includes no small share of smuggling and piracy. It's an excellent place to find anything that is banned elsewhere, though bringing it back can be a dicey affair. The land harbours many who'd like to escape justice elsewhere in Anuire, as well.

The land of Mieres is made of eight provinces, plus the Island of Albiele, a largely unsettled pirate haven. The three most heavily-inhabited provinces are Seaward (the hive of scum and villainy itself), Serien (a landlocked province, and one of the few with any number of honest folk), and Lathier (a minor county which would like to replace Seaward as the richest den of evil in the Straits). More information is available at http://www.birthright.net/forums/showwiki.php?title=Mieres, though much of this would be unknown to your characters.

You are adventurers. Of what sort is up to you, though champions of law and order will not live long in Mieres. And what's the fun in that? This is a Birthright game, the goal is to build a great legacy! Any character concept that's available in a standard D&D campaign is available here, with a few exceptions and differences due to the Cerilian setting. In particular, the setting centers on humans. Halflings, dwarves, and elves exist, but may not be familiar, and are likely to face special hardships. The other races described in the PHB (aside from half-elves) are not present in Cerilia.

A feature unique to Birthright characters is a 7th attribute known as a Bloodline Score, representing the strength of a character's divine bloodline, inherited from one of the old dead gods of humanity, or their foe Azrai, the Shadow. Bloodlines are rare, and strong ones rarer still, as they do not always breed true and it has been many years since Azrai was defeated by the gods' sacrifice, and the only other way to gain one is to defeat a blooded scion in mortal combat. Your character does not need to have a bloodline--and I would not be surprised if you gained one the hard way--but if you wish to start as a blooded scion, think how your character might claim such a strong connection to the heroes of old. (This is particularly unlikely for dwarves or halflings, almost none of which were at the battle!)

Use the standard point buy and character creation process. For most characters, this should be enough. I'll let you know what to do if you have something unique in mind.

lhx
Site Admin

Re: Chaos in the Colonies! Information and Applications

Postby lhx » Jul 5th, '17, 21:33

Sounds very interesting! I've got too many games going on right now so I'm going to respectfully bow out and just read the game every now and then. Let me know if you need any help with the software etc.; I'll be glad to help!
Find me on freenode with the username lhx in #texasxtremerpg or professionally at lawjrm.com
LMoP: GM - LMoP combat tracker OotA: GM - OotA combat tracker, Inventory Tedpocalypse: Zertius, Human Cleric

Glim

Postby Glim » Jul 5th, '17, 23:58

Just to be sure, this is lvl 1?

Namaphry

Postby Namaphry » Jul 6th, '17, 00:00

Yes, you start at level 1. The most powerful people in Mieres are level 5 or 6. Minor nobles who rule single provinces tend to be level 2 or 3.

Return to “Birthright: Colonial Chaos”