Chapter 5: Travel from the Silken Paths

lhx
Site Admin

Chapter 5: Travel from the Silken Paths

Postby lhx » Jun 10th, '17, 12:40

The party moves out down the tunnel, with Regus and Stool in the lead; they encounter no more signs of humanoid travellers for the next several miles.

The party comes to a fairly defensible position, a small alcove about 10' feet wide and 20' deep adjoining the tunnel, there are some mild phosphorecent fungi in the alcove, rending dim light inside the alcove and for another 10' out into the tunnel. There are no signs that the alcove has been disturbed in at least a month.

What do you do?
Find me on freenode with the username lhx in #texasxtremerpg or professionally at lawjrm.com
LMoP: GM - LMoP combat tracker OotA: GM - OotA combat tracker, Inventory Tedpocalypse: Zertius, Human Cleric

Dry

Re: Chapter 5: Travel from the Silken Paths

Postby Dry » Jun 13th, '17, 07:30

Regus turns back to the others and says, "This is as good a waypoint as we are likely to find. Let us make camp here. Wizard, can you set another illusion to mask our presence? Make sure it has that fungi on it to account for the glow." As he is saying this, Regus sets Stool down, does a few stretches, and starts taking off the heavy mail shirt.

shortsinsnow

Postby shortsinsnow » Jun 13th, '17, 07:44

Castien would like to begin taking an inventory of the group, seeing where gear could better be distributed if necessary, see who is missing weapons or armor, and to make sure there are enough rations and water for the group.

"When I finish with my meditations, I can prepare a spell that will allow me to conjure water enough for the whole group. At least we won't die of thirst down here," he says
OotA: Xilvaris Castien

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Jun 13th, '17, 09:06

Jimjar replies, "Fantastic! We are getting quite thirsty after fleeing Sloobludop and those spiders didn't help."

I'll make an inventory file later today for you castien. They don't have much other than some weapons and armor. Moloch has a wand of Viscid globs.
Find me on freenode with the username lhx in #texasxtremerpg or professionally at lawjrm.com
LMoP: GM - LMoP combat tracker OotA: GM - OotA combat tracker, Inventory Tedpocalypse: Zertius, Human Cleric

Baelem

Postby Baelem » Jun 13th, '17, 14:20

Moloch ponders for a moment. "I can certainly mask our presence magically, but it only lasts for a few minutes. How about this - I'll simply stay near whomever is keeping watch, and then at a moment's notice, I can shroud us in illusion."

Dry

Postby Dry » Jun 14th, '17, 15:34

Regus simply nods, and sits down against the wall furthest from the entrance; he is asleep in moments.

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Jun 15th, '17, 11:17

OOC: Sorry guys... got tied up at work and then my car broke down. Grrrrrr. I'm putting together inventory now.

shortsinsnow

Postby shortsinsnow » Jun 15th, '17, 12:23

OOC: No worries

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Jun 18th, '17, 11:55

Sorry for the delays. Car break down, sick baby, sick wife, father's day.

Here's my current status on inventory. If the PCs would so kindly post an update on the inventory that they think should be public or that everyone knows about that would be great. Also, I think the party's gold is somewhere in the 50-60ish range. Can someone confirm that?

Dry

Postby Dry » Jun 18th, '17, 12:08

Regus's inventory as per character sheet:
1 Morningstar
3 Throwing Stones
some basic clothing
1 goliath-sized chain shirt
2 days rations
2 lodestones
1 crappy flammable zurkwood shield
1 broken dagger (will be repaired after waking up)

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Jun 18th, '17, 12:12

Inventory on github updated with Regus info.

shortsinsnow

Postby shortsinsnow » Jun 19th, '17, 07:03

Castien's Inventory
Armor- Breast Plate Armor, Shield
Weapons- Short Sword, Dagger, Light crossbow with 20 bolts
Gear- Abacus, Crowbar, Writing kit, Rigual components
Gold- 45gp (will mention, not adding it to the party gold, per se)

He will mention that he is willing to lend out his shield, dagger, and crossbow if it means better equipping people and thus greater chances of the party surviving.

Also, Cas has access to the Mending cantrip, so if he is aware of the broken dagger, he would offer to repair it.

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Jun 24th, '17, 13:50

Moloch, Scafell, can you chip in on your current inventory please?

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Jun 27th, '17, 22:38

Paging Moloch, Paging Scafell

jasonw

Postby jasonw » Jun 28th, '17, 00:29

Inventory:

Quarterstaff
Dagger
Druidic focus (stone on cord)
Leather Armour
LMoP: Kaspar - Gnome Bard https://goo.gl/SA8Pyb
OoTA: Scafell - Dwarf Druid https://goo.gl/f5eMkS

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Jul 1st, '17, 12:23

Moloch, you alive?

Baelem

Postby Baelem » Jul 3rd, '17, 23:07

Hey, sorry. I'll check and get that inventory list.

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Jul 5th, '17, 21:37

Going to give Moloch 24 hours and then we'll move on.

Baelem

Postby Baelem » Jul 11th, '17, 02:06

Hey sorry, was traveling a lot and couldn't find where the actual inventory was. I think it's this:

Clothing (traveler's)
Grimoire
Hand crossbow
Bolts (drow poison) x10
Dagger
Rod that shoots globs
50' hemp rope
Rations x4
12g 16s 14c

And i think whatever they used to bind our hands in the mock sacrifice? manacles?

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Jul 11th, '17, 13:09

Thanks! Rough rope bound you for the sacrifice.

OK! Let's get a move on... Everyone wakes up after a long rest successfully, (half hit dice spent regenerate, one level of exhaustion removed if any, and all spells and other abilities recharge to full).

The party is moving out (still assuming towards Neverlight Grove correct me if I'm wrong).

Stool makes a survival check:
1d20 => 6 => 6
and off you go!

After
1d6 => 3 => 3
hours later, Stool leads you back to the same spot that you just rested at. He says telepathically to Regus, "I'm sorry, let me try again..."

1d20 => 12 => 12
and this time Stool leads you on, in the direction according to Stool to be towards Neverlight grove.

1d20 => 5 => 5
and there is no morning encounter.

1d20 => 20 => 20

In the evening, Stool signals to Regus to "halt" and "danger" feelings flood into Regus from the little mushroom person. Looking ahead, the pathway is heavily infested with webbing. These webs are smaller than the massive strands in the large cavern from the past few days; but, these webs are still much larger than webs that would just be made by typical house spiders. As best as you can tell with all the webbing, the pathway is is about 8' high, and changes from 15' to 10' wide before it curves to the right and you can no longer see.

The area is also lit with a dim glowing light that you haven't encountered before in your journey. It's not phosphorescent fungi or lichen that you've encountered previously, this is more of a magical glowing diffuse light coming from the walls itself.

Castien and anyone with underdark experience in their background or feat (i.e. before this adventure), you may roll a nature or history check, whichever is higher, to see if you know anything about this strange light. Those without underdark experience may wish to see if one of the NPCs native to the underdark may know about it.

Baelem

Postby Baelem » Jul 11th, '17, 16:36

Nature and History are the same for me:
1d20 => 8 => 8

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Jul 11th, '17, 16:49

Baelem wrote:Nature and History are the same for me:
1d20 => 8 => 8

Moloch knows that the light is likely faerzress, and it's supposed to have strange effects where it appears randomly throughout the underdark. But, Moloch has never encountered it himself and does not know it's effects.

Baelem

Postby Baelem » Jul 11th, '17, 19:03

"I've heard of lights like these - they might be what they call faerzress. I've never seen them before, but supposedly it has strange effects of some kind. We should be careful."

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Jul 11th, '17, 20:00

Castien: need your history / nature check please

jasonw

Postby jasonw » Jul 12th, '17, 00:26

Nature
d20+2 => 16, 2 => 18

shortsinsnow

Postby shortsinsnow » Jul 12th, '17, 10:53

History and nature are the same
1d20+4 => 17, 4 => 21

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Jul 12th, '17, 11:07

Sending PMs to Scafell and Castien shortly.

shortsinsnow

Postby shortsinsnow » Jul 12th, '17, 14:35

Castien nods his head but says nothing.

Dry

Postby Dry » Jul 12th, '17, 15:24

After sleeping, Regus will have Mended and weapon-bonded to his new dagger during the rest of the long-rest downtime, and ate one of his rations.

ooc: what shape is the crappy zurkwood shield I have? Is it like a rectangle, round, oval...?

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Jul 12th, '17, 15:40

OOC: What shape do you want it to be? :)

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Jul 12th, '17, 21:28

Also, Regus does as stated.

What do you do? Stool is giving strong vibes that this is the right direction.

jasonw

Postby jasonw » Jul 13th, '17, 00:26

Scafell nods. "Faerzress indeed. Magic can be unpredictable in its glow, be cautious"

Dry

Postby Dry » Jul 13th, '17, 11:26

lhx wrote:OOC: What shape do you want it to be? :)

Round like a frisbee :)

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Jul 13th, '17, 11:39

Round like a frisbee it is.

Jimjar pipes up, "Ooooh. Faerzress. Don't try to use any magic that transposes your position. I've seen gnomes come out with their heads sticking out of their elbows or worse places. Anyone got any ideas on clearing out these webs?"

Dry

Postby Dry » Jul 13th, '17, 11:41

"Can anyone make fire, light a torch? My spells are rather powerful for what I intend..."

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Jul 13th, '17, 11:52

The various NPCs shake their heads no... they're not magic using types and they don't have tinder and flint.

shortsinsnow

Postby shortsinsnow » Jul 13th, '17, 12:29

Castien pulls out a tinderbox. He packed for many contingencies, and even though it's neigh impossible to prepare fires below ground, and his dark vision providing him with enough sense to move around, he still brought the basics along. He will also grab out a torch and hand it to Regus, the one leading the party onward with the small sentient mushroom.

"Here, I believe these would be less potent, but exponentially more appropriate than the use of a fire ball spell," he says, a small smile on his face to convene that his means this in a jovial way. The big ones can sometimes be touchy if you do not make your intentions clear.

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Jul 13th, '17, 13:49

Regus, you're up :D

Dry

Postby Dry » Jul 13th, '17, 15:11

Regus would like to set the crappy flammable shield on fire, and immediately lug it discus-like as far down the webbed passage as he can manage.

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Jul 13th, '17, 15:44

Love it! No roll needed to light it on fire.

But I'll need an athletics check to see how far you can get it down the corridor.

Dry

Postby Dry » Jul 13th, '17, 15:46

Athletics:
1d20+6 => 11, 6 => 17
and don't forget goliaths count as a size large creature for physical feats :)

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Jul 13th, '17, 16:07

Good roll. I'll resolve it when I get home and can read the rules on thrown objects.

shortsinsnow

Postby shortsinsnow » Jul 14th, '17, 06:04

Well...

Cas will return the torch to his pack. Clearly he has much to learn about this group of rescuers, if the idea of wasting a perfectly good shield and throwing it while on fire is considered acceptable.

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Jul 14th, '17, 11:37

Regus's shield flies like a frisbee for approximately 40 feet forward and it mechanically takes down some webbing while lighting others on fire, it hits the far wall and ricochets towards the right out of sight, but there is now a glow of fire emanating from the bend to the right.

Another 45 seconds or so goes by and the webs slowly burn into wisps of smoke and ash and they fall to the ground.

What do you do?

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Jul 14th, '17, 11:38

shortsinsnow wrote:Well...

Cas will return the torch to his pack. Clearly he has much to learn about this group of rescuers, if the idea of wasting a perfectly good shield and throwing it while on fire is considered acceptable.

Jimjar walks up to Castien and says quietly, "I would've used the torch." He then makes a 'crazy-in-the-head' gesture to Castien referring to Regus.

Dry

Postby Dry » Jul 14th, '17, 12:48

Regus holds up a hand in a 'wait' motion, "If there are any spiders, it would be safe to assume they would flee the flames. Either retreating further into their den, where the flames may be their undoing, or coming forth to face us; if we must fight them, I would rather not do so surrounded by sticky webbing. Let's give it a few minutes."

Baelem

Postby Baelem » Jul 15th, '17, 00:28

Moloch grins. "If I've learned anything about our friend Regus, it's that when you have the option to light something important on fire and throw it, you definitely go with that option."

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Jul 15th, '17, 00:38

Eldeth replies, "Aye, but there's likely not going to be anything left of that shield. A shield is a shield is a shield. I should know. I'm a shield dwarf."

Daarut replies, "I don't like spiders... listen to the big man. He's got a point. The flame is hurting my 2 eyes and spiders have more than 2 eyes..."

What do you do PCs?

shortsinsnow

Postby shortsinsnow » Jul 17th, '17, 06:28

Castien dons his shield and raises his holy symbol, prepared to cast a spell should the need arise

jasonw

Postby jasonw » Jul 17th, '17, 23:50

Kaspar sees Castien's preparations and says "I meant it when I said we should be cautious with spells. The effects may not be what you expect."

After a couple of minutes have passed, Kaspar says "Let's find out what damage our excitable friend has done, shall we?"

shortsinsnow

Postby shortsinsnow » Jul 18th, '17, 07:18

Composing himself, Cas says to Kaspar, "You...You are correct. I apologize, I forgot myself for a moment," he says as he takes out his short sword

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Jul 18th, '17, 13:23

Are you guys ready to move down the corridor?

jasonw

Postby jasonw » Jul 18th, '17, 14:20

yep

shortsinsnow

Postby shortsinsnow » Jul 18th, '17, 14:35

yes

Baelem

Postby Baelem » Jul 18th, '17, 23:18

indeed

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Jul 18th, '17, 23:22

Regus and Stool ease forward into the cobweb ashes, and after about 40' they come to the bend in the tunnel towards the right. Regus peers around and sees his shield still on fire on the ground about 15 feet farther into the right. The webs it has gone through have burned away like before, however, there is still substantial webbing ahead, as far as you can currently see.

Regus, you think you may be able to save the shield, if you were somehow able to put it out immediately.

Dry

Postby Dry » Jul 19th, '17, 13:30

"So far, so good." Regus would like to wrap a bit of cloth around his hand, and grabbing the shield, lug it forwards once again.

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Jul 19th, '17, 14:54

Ok... make me another athletics check, this time at disadvantage since your grip won't be as good. And also make me a CON save as well to see if you take any damage from the flames.

Dry

Postby Dry » Jul 19th, '17, 15:01

Athletics:
1d20+6 => 10, 6 => 16

Disadv:
1d20+6 => 3, 6 => 9

Con save:
1d20+5 => 13, 5 => 18

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Jul 19th, '17, 15:15

Regus wraps his hand in some cloth and reaches down into the flames jumping up from the shield, as he quickly launches the shield, the flames begin to burn through his bandages causing him to lose his grip a touch earlier than intended, and the shield slams into the tunnel's wall about 15 feet ahead and to the right of Regus. The shield crumbles into a pile of wood chips and glowing embers, as the shield slowly burns itself to ash.

Thankfully, Regus doesn't take any damage from the flames as his hand inadvertently let go just before he was about to take fire damage from grabbing the shield.

Another 15 feet of webs are slowly burning in front of the party, but still more webbing as far as your vision allows is straight ahead. What do you (the party) do?

Dry

Postby Dry » Jul 19th, '17, 16:25

Regus nods in satisfaction, then turning to Castien, says, "I hope you still have that torch handy?"

shortsinsnow

Postby shortsinsnow » Jul 20th, '17, 06:09

"Um...Yes, yes of course," he says, putting his sword away to take out the torch and hand it to the goliath. As he draws his sword again, he says, "do you think it is wise to be making such a racket? I am sure that every denizen within half a mile is aware of our position by now,"

Dry

Postby Dry » Jul 20th, '17, 07:31

Regus takes the (hopefully lit) torch, and throws it up in the air like a juggler, testing its weight and balance. Satisfied, he turns to throw it down the tunnel into the thicker webbing, if noone objects.

shortsinsnow

Postby shortsinsnow » Jul 20th, '17, 08:06

OOC- It was unlit. Cas would presume that Regus would use the burning remains of the shield, or the tinderbox that I think he still has, to light it himself

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Jul 20th, '17, 10:48

Jimjar pipes up, "Wouldn't it make more sense to just swing the torch at the webbing as we move forward?"

shortsinsnow

Postby shortsinsnow » Jul 20th, '17, 10:52

Cas leans over a bit and whispers to Jimjar, "I believe sense was abandoned when he lit his shield on fire initially,"

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Jul 20th, '17, 10:53

Jimjar replies, "He's been screwy since the day we met... Good intentions, I think... but not so good execution..."

Dry

Postby Dry » Jul 23rd, '17, 16:13

((Regus would have lit it on any of the surrounding fire before chucking it forwards in that case.))

In response to Jimjar, Regus says, "If you want to walk forwards into the webbing and hope it catches before a spider pounces you, be my guest, little one. I'd rather not get close." Regus then chucks the torch forwards ((like a german grenade)).

Athletics if required:
1d20+6 => 17, 6 => 23

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Jul 23rd, '17, 18:44

The torch is thrown forward, with a moderate amount of rotation. The torch is able to take out another 20' of webbing at which point it gets caught in the webbing temporarily, it's fairly clear in 30 seconds or so it will burn the surrounding webbing enough for the torch to drop to the ground.

However, now that the torch has gone the additional 20', the light form the torch makes it look like the webbing ends about another 40' beyond where the torch is currently hanging in the webbing.

What do you do?

Dry

Postby Dry » Jul 24th, '17, 05:35

"See? We are almost through an not a single arachnid in sight. How's it looking behind us?" Regus shouts over to those further back.

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Jul 24th, '17, 09:36

Eldeth calls back: "Clear as best I can tell. No new friends."

shortsinsnow

Postby shortsinsnow » Aug 2nd, '17, 09:30

"Right then, shall we carry on?" Castien wants to put as much space between him and any more...spiders...as he possibly can

Dry

Postby Dry » Aug 2nd, '17, 17:54

Are there any tracks or other signs of recent activity visible in the vicinity as we move past the webbing?

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Aug 2nd, '17, 20:09

Survival roll please

Dry

Postby Dry » Aug 3rd, '17, 22:10

Survival:
1d20+2 => 3, 2 => 5

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Aug 3rd, '17, 22:56

Regus can see some signs of giant spider activity other than the webs such as some bits of molted exoskeleton. But nothing looks "fresh" to Regus and his guess could be as long as a month to as long as a year.

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Aug 8th, '17, 19:16

Party, what do you do?

shortsinsnow

Postby shortsinsnow » Aug 9th, '17, 06:01

Cas speaks up while Regus looks over the spider remains, "If it's well and safe, I suggest we move along. I do not know how far it is to this city, but I do not know how much longer our provisions will hold out."

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Sep 3rd, '17, 13:49

Jimjar pipes up, "Let's get out of this spider nest quickly; I don't want a repeat of back on the silken paths..."

PCs: what do you do?

Baelem

Postby Baelem » Sep 3rd, '17, 17:17

Moloch dusts off and gets ready to move out. "Let us continue on our way. I'm eager to get back to what passes for civilization."

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Sep 3rd, '17, 19:42

If I haven't heard otherwise from the other PCs in 24 hours, I'm just going to move us along.

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Sep 6th, '17, 15:41

The party moves through the rest of the spider webbings and makes it into the continuing tunnel. They see a large vertical hole sized enough for giant spiders in the ceiling of a cavern, but the party passes it by without incident.

The tunnels remain the same for quite some time and another day passes by. As the party makes camp, Jimjar addresses the group and says, "I have been to this part of the Underdark before; I can feel it in my bones. I'm sure that we'll be coming to a major intersection in the tunnels tomorrow and we'll have to choose between Neverlight Grove, where Stool is from, and Blingdenstone, the shell of the city that I used to call home. There is also a passage back towards the Darklake if we want to make for Gracklstugh, the dark dwarves' city. Any place will likely be dangerous to us all and I'll follow the party as there's strength in numbers. Also, the upcoming fork is often watched by drow patrols, or worse so we should be sharp and paying attention... In any event, if we all vote, I vote for Neverlight Grove or back to the Darklake and Gracklstugh. I'm scared of what haunts Blingdenstone."

Stool jumps up and down and releases a large cloud of spores into the air, and suddenly the whole party telepathically "hears" Stool say, "Neverlight Grove! We must go there! I've felt a disturbance in the great fungus that is all among us. I'm worried if we delay that something will happen to the Grove! We can always go to Blingdenstone after we help the Grove!"

Daarut, the newly joined quaggoth says, "Bah... bring on Blingdenstone I say... look at how many of us there are! What could harm us?"

Derendil says, "I for one, am interested in this Neverlight Grove. A colony of sentient mushrooms? Oh what a sight!"

Eldeth says, "I don't give a rats ass which way we go other than I need to get out of this accursed place and back to King Bruenor in Gauntylgrym and warn him about all of these demons run amok down here!"

PCs, time to decide where you want to go. The NPCs will answer any questions you have that they can. You may also ask me questions about the destinations and roll for knowledge. But ultimately, the PCs and not the NPCs are going to choose between:

(A) Neverlight Grove
(B) Blingdenstone
(C) Northern shore of the darklake
(D) Back the way you came

Dry

Postby Dry » Sep 6th, '17, 16:14

Regus shrugs "Why is this even a discussion? We'd agreed we are headed to Neverlight a long time ago. That seems to be the group consensus, too."

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Sep 6th, '17, 16:28

OOC: thought we never solidified it.

Dry

Postby Dry » Sep 6th, '17, 16:34

OOC: I don't think we did. Regus has got the idea in his head though...

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Sep 6th, '17, 17:26

OOC: got it!

shortsinsnow

Postby shortsinsnow » Sep 14th, '17, 09:15

Cas is dumbfounded, "Wait, were we undecided? And we've already come this far?! People, we have limited supplies in a hostile environment!," He says, moving his arms about dramatically to emphasize his point, "Even now, an Umber Hulk could be digging its way through these very walls, ready to strike us down. We cannot be so frivolous in our decision making. I say we continue to follow this little Myconid fellow to Neverlight, where we may at least rest and collect supplies."

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Sep 14th, '17, 11:21

OOC: that's 2 votes for Neverlight. Gonna give a few more days for scafell and moloch to chime in otherwise the grove it is.

Dry

Postby Dry » Sep 14th, '17, 15:58

"Do not be so disparaging of our abilities, little wizard. We have already fought off one such hulking beast," Regus says with a smirk.

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Sep 14th, '17, 16:52

Jimjar pipes up, "yup yup yup. We sure did defeat a n umber hulk. Scary monsters though. Wouldn't want to do it again."

shortsinsnow

Postby shortsinsnow » Sep 15th, '17, 06:29

Cas is confused. Isn't he the one who wanted to follow the myconid? Why would he argue with the one who is agreeing with him? This giant is quite likely insane, and needs to be carefully observed. Wait a minute..."Wizard? I am not a..." he sighs and puts his hands up in a conciliatory manner, "Regardless, whether it be an umber hulk or a mind flayer, it makes no difference; we do not have the means to survive repeated assault. We need to find a place where we can obtain suitable supplies for a longer trek. For pity's sake, if you plan on setting any more of our equipment on fire, we will have little left but knives and the skin on our backs!"

Baelem

Postby Baelem » Sep 16th, '17, 01:57

Moloch shrugs. "Last I heard, we were headed to Neverlight." He stares off distantly and mutters something only partially audible. "... yes of course, I heard you the first time..."

jasonw

Postby jasonw » Sep 19th, '17, 00:31

Scafell looks around; "Neverlight. Okay."

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Sep 26th, '17, 15:29

Jimjar says, "It's settled! Neverlight it is."

Everyone settles down for the "night" and Jimjar and Derendil take the first watch.

About an hour into the first watch, they see Regus standing in the camp. Jimjar approaches but all Regus keeps saying nonsense like, "elll haichex... dell and tree... neigh neigh neigh vine vine vine... must... go to land of discord... peeee bbbbeeeee pppeeeeeee disputes... brooooottttooooooooorrrrrrrrrrrrrr and sky! Must see sky! Yes. Sky. Definitely need Sky."

Jimjar tries to stop him, so does Stool who wakes up; but, their small size is no match for the giant goliath. Regus instead laughs maniacally, casts light on his morningstar, and charges off down the tunnel back the way the party came. In a minute or two, the effects of the light spell disappear. Jimjar, Stool, and Derendil all agree that the madness of the Underdark must've gotten to him completely.

OOC: For those who don't know, Dry quit the IRC channel and the group, mostly due to his Katan game blowing up over OOC/IC disputes. I tried to intervene when Dry wouldn't, and my attempts at mediation failed horribly. Dry in turn got mad at me for how I handled my intervention. My suspicion is that he wanted to be gone anyway and this was an opportunity to do so. He'll be missed although I wished the way he left would have been different. We're going to keep moving on in the interim.

Back IC:

The party (minus Regus) wakes up and makes their way towards the intersection that Jimar knew. After a few hours Jimjar hisses, "Stop! We're practically on top of it. Maybe another half mile or so." Jimjar heads up to the front of the party to lead, and after another 10 minutes of walking says loudly, "I'll be damned... This is the place all right... "

You have come to an intersection of 5 tunnels into a circular cavern of approximately 100feet in diameter. In front of you are approximately 20 drow and 10 giant lizards, all dead. Their bodies have massive claw gashes and many are missing large chunks of their torsos or their heads completely. There is also evidence of bite marks from a large creature. From Jimjar's distance, to the cavern, the bodies look dead for at least several days. There is also the soft glow of faerzress ahead as well.

What do you do?

shortsinsnow

Postby shortsinsnow » Sep 27th, '17, 12:21

"Oh...my word..." Cas says at the mess. He may not have been a huge fan of the Drow, but they are elves, and so this mass death was troubling. "You see? This is what I was speaking of. We need to be on alert for something that would cause such massive death. Although the lack of feeding is most perplexing."

Cas will step forward in order to get a better look at the wounds, hoping to determine the cause of it

Nature if that cut's it
1d20+4 => 9, 4 => 13

Survival if it's more appropriate (using Knowledge of Ages to gain proficiency to it)
1d20+5 => 4, 5 => 9

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Sep 27th, '17, 12:31

Cas can click here:

► Show Spoiler

shortsinsnow

Postby shortsinsnow » Sep 27th, '17, 12:50

Cas can smell the rot, see the maggots. Things he was used to enough when studying cadavers; he never, however, enjoyed that bit much, "Hmm, quite fresh. A display of power, perhaps? Tell me, guide. Are there any natives in this immediate area in direct conflict with the Drow? I believe we have stumbled upon a sort of warning, a territorial boundry"

lhx
Site Admin

Postby lhx » Sep 27th, '17, 12:53

Jimjar replies, "I have never seen anything like this... The drow frequently are in conflict with my people; but... we don't do this, even to drow." He spits after he says the word drow.

While Jimjar and Cas are speaking, Eldeth walks over to the lizards and checks their cargo packs, "I've found rations and water! Looks like about a week's worth for each of us!"

Moloch, Scafell, what are you doing in the meantime?

Baelem

Postby Baelem » Oct 3rd, '17, 02:45

ooc: Regarding the bite marks, when you say they were made by a "large creature," do you mean Large size, or just very large? Moloch is troubled by the memory of the massive creature encountered at the Darklake.

jasonw

Postby jasonw » Oct 3rd, '17, 04:15

Scafell also examines the remains

Nature
d20+2 => 7, 2 => 9

Survival
d20+6 => 10, 6 => 16

Return to “OotA”